Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

SleeplessEyes
post Jul 18 2020, 02:56 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Jun 11 2020, 07:27 AM)
Pulse charging can reduce sulfation (sulfur crystals) formed on the plate surface..
Prevention is better than cure. Really.
I have a Foxsur battery charger with Pulse repair charging function and i have tried on 2 batteries

1. Shorted plate - Cannot be repaired no matter how many days i tried.
2. Weak battery - If its weak better charge it. If there is no sulfate it will cause more damage. Was unknown if there was sulfate inside but I think I killed the weak battery from Pulse charging.

Here is an extract from Battery University

Much has been said about pulse charging of lead acid batteries to reduce sulfation. The results are inconclusive and manufacturers as well as service technicians are divided on the benefit. If sulfation could be measured and the right amount of pulsing applied, then the remedy could be beneficial; however giving a cure without knowing the underlying side effects can be harmful to the battery.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article...ad_acid_battery

Here is from Wiki

Lead–acid batteries will experience substantially longer life when a maintenance charger is used to "float charge" the battery. This prevents the battery from ever being below 100% charge, preventing sulfate from forming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_charger

SleeplessEyes
post Jul 18 2020, 05:40 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Jul 18 2020, 05:20 PM)
That's y u need to determine the conditions of the battery before applying  pulse charging on the battery.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Pulse charging can't solve all the battery problems.
It does help reduce sulfation.
The problem is these 2 Maintenance free battery I listed above, cannot just open the battery cap (totally sealed) and peek into the plates. Yes I know some maintenance free types you can peel the sticker to expose the filling caps but this one can't.
That's why I prefer Non-maintanence free type.

Also I don't have a battery tester device (the ones which can read SOC and SOH) so I have to depend on what battery charger says.

Maybe a tip or two from you or someone, on how to use pulse charging. Cause I think pulse charging too long (the manual recommend 8 hours) is abit of a risk to kill the battery instead.
SleeplessEyes
post Jul 26 2020, 07:05 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

hey Roman Catholic,
I made an interesting discovery.
Yesterday I drove my Exora up to Gohtong Jaya and back.

Now before the journey I hooked it up to my smart battery charger. It took just less than an hour to full charge it.
Car haven't been driven for like a week.

Took it for a drive (including get stuck in a massive jam due to flood at Jalan Kuching, that sucked) up Gohtong and back. 160km journey.

Here is the thing. As I came home, I immediately tested the volts from the smart charger and gotten 12.5V.

My guess is that the radiator fan and electric water pump - usually triggered automatically after hot engine shutdown (due to turbocharger), must have sucked up the juice.
And so I plugged in my charger and it took a good 1hr plus to reach full charge status.

So does that mean the battery is working as per normal?
SleeplessEyes
post Aug 1 2020, 06:43 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jul 26 2020, 08:34 AM)

By the way, how long has this battery been installed in the Exora ?
Hi bro Roman.
The battery is around 2yrs. it does drop after the next day , probably until 12.5V as I noticed. but it always starts up the engine.

Recently I went up Genting. park my car overnight. Next cold morning before starting up it shows 12.1V on my ciggratte volt meter (I didn't bring any digital meter with me).
Edited: I compared the voltage between cig volt meter and battery charger and they are exactly the same sometimes off by 0.1v.

My guess the temperature overnight is around 18-19C.
But it starts right up without signs of weakness.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Aug 2 2020, 09:16 AM
SleeplessEyes
post Sep 10 2020, 11:20 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(thenazek @ Sep 10 2020, 10:55 AM)
Oh wow that's cheap for a NS60 size. Where you bought it?
I just changed mine / Upgraded my Axia battery 2 months ago, to Non-MF NS60L battery for RM 140 inclusive trade in.
Motolite brand (dun care, as so long its cheap, can run)

Bought from Revive Battery Shop, Shah Alam, free installation on the site.
Recommended shop, have several branches all over KV.
SleeplessEyes
post Sep 10 2020, 11:21 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

Woops...double posting biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Sep 10 2020, 11:21 AM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 11 2020, 04:16 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(croydon @ Oct 10 2020, 07:01 PM)
new battery rm250 after trade in old battery (rm20)

old battery 3/2015 rm225 after trade in old battery MF NS60 (09/2012)
Huh...slightly on the high side.
My 2018 battery , NS70 is around RM 200 , Incoe brand Non MF.
Bought in Puchong.

As a comparison, a Lazada seller is selling for Rm 210
Century Hybrid WET [ NS70 / NS70L ]
and the seller will install and take away the old battery .

Another is my favourite supplier:
CENTURY HYBRID WET NS70 RM230
- Inclusive Rm 30 trade in price.
- Have branches all over KL and Shah Alam.

So I am assuming this:
The NS70 is for your Persona and the NS60 is for the Wira 1.5 smile.gif

4 years 2 months for your Persona battery is impressive. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 11 2020, 04:34 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 21 2020, 11:37 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 17 2020, 09:19 PM)

My previous NS40ZL batteries with 4 years lifespan was achieved without the use of any external charger at all. A car that clocks approx 50km mileage daily moving and not stuck in a traffic congestion, the alternator ought to have fully charged the battery to its maximum capacity.

I wonder how long and how painful/difficult to type so long on your handphone. notworthy.gif
Apologies i have to shorten some of your replies.

Regarding about new batteries, my Axia new NS60 battery would stay around 12.6V after resting for few hours. Rarely stays at 12.7V.

Right now im still monitoring my Exora battery. The charger will charger until around 13.9V then it will switch off until voltage drop to 13.1v or 13.2v then starts the cycle again.

And the issue with Exora turbo, each time after shuting down the engine, it will activate an electric water pump to cool down the turbo charger. I think it does that for 5-10mins.
But If the water temperature is abit too hot it will kick in the (loud) radiator fan for few mins until temperature cools down to a threshold.

All these, the fan and electric pump does sap some of the battery power. And thats why its originally spec for 55D23L but i decided to go for NS70L which is sufficiently large (and cheaper than 55D23L)
So imagine without a battery charger it has only left 12.5V (measured at battery directly) to sometimes 12.3v (on ACC ignition key) for the next engine start.

So thats why i make a habit to turn off the rear cabin blower and front aircond blower on cold start. Though sometimes i forget turn off the rear blush.gif

AGM battery would solve this problem but it costs 3x of normal lead acid.
Therefore this battery charger is a recommended item. Especially now Selangor KL under CMCO and latest news, all employees in Selangor , KL compoulsary must work from home tommorow 22nd Oct.
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 21 2020, 12:14 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

Below is a video of my charger doing" float charging" until 100%.
Notice that when it drops to 13.2 or 13.1v you will see the voltage suddenly jump to 13.9v

https://gofile.io/d/WMqYtQ

Click on the individual file and press the Play icon button.

Without the multimeter I know when the charger is charging; if the charger fan is quiet, means it's fully charged but when it triggers the fan means it's charging again.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 21 2020, 12:22 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 22 2020, 07:44 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 21 2020, 11:10 PM)
No pain at all. I've upgraded to a larger screen with a tab. Getting old already, so need larger screen to make the fonts larger so that I could see clearly. πŸ˜€

I have a question for everyone, we know that continental cars generally have their batteries located either inside the passenger cabin or at the back in the boot, my question is, do these continental car manufacturers have their own house brand batteries for sale as well or they don't have ?
Yeap, all Proton CFE (turbo) engines - Preve, Suprima, Exora has electric pump.
But the charger is not a "must" to have, just recommended. Just to make sure enough amps for next use.
And about the follow me home lights, yes, Proton has it too, but have to activate it manually. laugh.gif

About the NS70l, in old Japanese Din is NS70L, but in actual fact its new DIN standard is 65D26L.
Can read more here : https://www.rbbattery.com/japanese-battery-...old-model-name/

Therefore dwRk is correct. Not all batteries of the same series (NS70L, etc) is the same AH and CCA.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 22 2020, 08:16 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 22 2020, 09:53 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 22 2020, 08:33 PM)
Yup dwRk is right. Just that I tend to forget that they are all different because I think about my Principal Co interest only and easily forget about the rest and besides its hard to keep tab on every competition as well. For example during battery test, it would be impossible for me to memorize every battery standard rating since I am terrible at math. So for any battery that does not have it standard rating listed on the battery, I will use the standard rating of my Principal Co. rating for the respective battery size to perform the Battery Test. Its not 100% accurate and I inform the owners as well but its the best under those circumstances to complete the job.

HONDA's Battery Cover

It seems like its the perfect fit, snugly encasing the entire top portion of the battery but I was wondering is it really effective ? Reason being, air is a poor conductor for heat to travel. A battery cover is only effective if the is a gap between the battery and the battery cover. If there is no gap, I see no difference because heat can travel via conduction too, right ?
I have a better idea. Use food thermal wrap. Then wrap around the batery . examples:

SUNFOIL Foldable Thermal Cooler Bag
(Suitable for large battery)

Or this ,
10pcs/Set Aluminum Foil Insulated Food Storage Bag Thermal Cooler Silver
(Suitable for small batteries such as NS40)

I really want to put one in my Exora. The engine bay temperature is very hot due to the turbocharger and the catalytic converter straight connected to the turbocharger outlet.
And it gets hotter if drive harder, due to more heat produce from the turbo.

And the battery is right next to the radiator fan!
I have use my hand to feel the heat on the side of the battery itself and boy , it is hot.
Aluminium is proven to repel heat conduction, therefore the construction of the flexible thermal wrap is just perfect. All i need to do is take measurements of the battery and compare with the dimensions of the thermal wrap.
Brilliant! rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 22 2020, 10:04 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 27 2020, 09:39 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

Roman Catholic,
Bro you should move your activity to Klang Valley, biggrin.gif
You will have larger customer base. rclxms.gif

Especially nowadays frequent CMCO here, i predict more cars will have battery breakddown laugh.gif
More business biggrin.gif
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 27 2020, 11:16 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(dares @ Oct 27 2020, 09:55 AM)
Just sharing

27 mths old Amaron Hi Life Pro DIN55L
Hi bro. was this measurement taken when the engine haven't started?

CCA Seems to be very good.
Might need some battery charging (preferably using battery charger) to bump up the SOC level .

Roman, what's your opinion?
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 27 2020, 04:12 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 27 2020, 12:34 PM)
Correct.

However we must also realize that as we strive to extend battery life span as much as possible, we must also realize the potential hidden risks that inevitably increases with an increased life span.

Woah..complicated relationship with your lady client. Sounded almost like your wife when you mention the lawyer part.
Why did she not listen to your advice and just retire the battery? Is it because of financial reasons? Like she feels maybe she wanna use it until it kaput totally.

This battery lessons about trying to extend it , is like a mysterious adventure. Or scientific experiment.
So much so I'm abit addicted to it. haha.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 27 2020, 04:16 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Oct 28 2020, 03:20 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(dares @ Oct 28 2020, 09:10 AM)
Oh, yes it was taken before the engine was started for that day, but in the evening (I didn't drive the car that day).
Hi bro, ive just checked the spec for your Amaron battery.
https://www.amaronmalaysia.com/amaron-batte...aron-pro-din55l

Sorry to break the bad news, but when your battery tester show 770CCa,

And Amaron DIN 55 CCA rating is 500CCA,
Something tells me the battery cca setting during testing is not correct.
(The parameter to Set Rating).

Might wanna try set again your proper CCA rating.
I found a manual, closest to your model.

https://www.buyobd2.com/upload/pro/micro-10...user-manual.pdf

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Oct 28 2020, 03:44 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Nov 12 2020, 05:06 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(joe09 @ Nov 12 2020, 04:18 PM)
just got my car battery tested at a local car workshop. Reading reads at 65%.
My battery last changed was 2 years 3 months ago. What is the probability the battery can last up to 3 years or longer? Still thinking whether to change or not btw.
You're 9 months away to 3 years.
If it were me, I would do a normal load test, the ones which uses a brick like tester.
Not like those using small handheld testers.

If the load testing comes out around 10volts and beyond, the battery is still alright.

Just FYI for the record, my car battery is already close to 2 years 4 months.
Still doing fine. Once it reaches 2 1/2 yrs i will give it a test

SleeplessEyes
post Nov 13 2020, 03:30 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Nov 13 2020, 10:35 AM)
IF the battery is still in good condition ie the cell(s) have not deteriorated then it is ok to recharge the battery. Using the alternator to recharge the battery achieves the same result with an external charger.

The only way to extend the battery life span is to reduce the load on the battery from Day 1.
I hope we can come to a healthy debate.

This is what I can share based on real life experience. Because I have 2 cars.
a) My Exora as you know, rarely driven. Put on charger frequently. Either its driven short distance on random basis or straight long distance drive.
b) My Axia, daily driven. Any distance. Super short to long distance.

Observation below:

So whats the verdict? We cant conclude that alternator "achieves the same result with an external charger". Its like saying Ramly burger tastes the same as McD burger. Which doesn't.

So my opinion is somewhat similar to @thenazek, except I dont feel battery chargers are a waste of investment.

Alternator is rated 80-100amps but again depends on engine RPM and time its driven.
Thats why i come to this conclusion that if the car is driven medium distance (that means to KL and back, each trip 25KM) then it will charge the battery to respectable near full capacity. But each time we start the engine it takes away some of the battery and again the alternator needs to recharge.

I have read several websites and they recommend that , the only way to extend the battery life span, is to make sure the battery doesn't go below 12.4V to reduce Sulfation .

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Nov 13 2020, 03:33 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Nov 15 2020, 03:22 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 02:51 PM)

but i tested the voltage of the battery was fine, its 13.7-13.8v while charging, is it the CCA not enough?
Do not test voltage while your engine is running. that gives you charging voltage but not the actual batt voltage when engine is switched off.
In case of Emergency please call your insurance company for jump start assistance.
If you are in Klang valley area call this person:
Revive Car Battery - 0136907200
or the main line also can +60 13-663 3199
They are open everyday and have someone to replace on the spot.
If you are in Melaka please PM Roman Catholic.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Nov 15 2020, 03:24 PM
SleeplessEyes
post Nov 15 2020, 03:36 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 03:22 PM)
i see, thanks :thumbsup: , the CCA can be charged back?
Its a 50/50 chances without testing first what's the State of Charge percentage.
But since you have a multimeter , you can check what's the voltage after the car has stopped for an hour.
Any voltage lower than 12.4V and you will have slim chances of reviving back. If its higher than 12.4V at least I could run full charge follow by desulfation process using my smart battery charger. But again that's 50/50 chances.

Let me borrow also Roman Catholic's template

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Nov 12 2020, 05:51 PM)
If you dont mind here's a couple of questions,

1. Car model & make ?
2. Battery MF or Flooded & Battery size ?
3. What is the current CCA measured ?
4. How long did the previous battery lasted ?
5. You bought that previous battery and the current battery from the same supplier ?
Then you can reply that template I gave.
SleeplessEyes
post Nov 15 2020, 04:38 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(steady bro @ Nov 15 2020, 03:45 PM)
i dont have multimeter haha, i using the cigarette lighter voltage reader to see the voltage

will go to the battery shop tomorrow and let them test it out and see
This is my personal opinion.
1.5 years for a large DIN 75 battery is kinda short life. Even for a German car with the battery inside engine bay.Something is not right.
If the battery is tested good condition in battery shop meaning you are having issues with your VW. Especially if yours is equipped with Push Button Start. But lets not jump first into conclusion.

I just did a survey for you, for your VW Golf model , and this is what the Aussies mostly claimed:
Around 4 years. Max also 5 years.
http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?24...life-expectancy

Aussies could get slightly longer life possibility due to cooler weather (cooler , not freezing temp, some parts of Australia is super hot)
But if I based on our hot weather, max also I predict 3 years.
And yes, they do recommend Varta for VWs.

Oh BTW, do take note, ciggy voltage meters , not to say they are inaccurate. I have one too. But it will display a lower voltage because all your other electrical accessories , when put into ACC mode, will draw some current. Accuracy wise , I have compared with both a multimeter and that thing, it can be off sometimes by 0.1V even on ACC mode.

Aside to that, Roman, dont scare him with exploding batteries. smile.gif

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Nov 15 2020, 04:43 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0683sec    0.81    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th May 2021 - 12:53 PM