Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

Roman Catholic
post Jan 7 2019, 08:30 PM, updated 4d ago

Regular
1,238 posts

In an effort to improve quality further, please state battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more as a bench mark.

To start the ball rolling

Brand : Century
Type : non maintenance free

Roman Catholic
post Jan 7 2019, 09:51 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jan 7 2019, 09:44 PM)
Century can last 4 years meh?? Are you a Century promoter?? πŸ˜‚ Mine just less than 2.5 years and imho it's not a good battery. The only battery that lasted >4yrs for me was over 15 years ago andΒ  the brand no longer exists (I also forget already too). Nowadays all my batteries only lasted 2+years.
Nope not a promoter. Since my father-in-law trusted Century, I just followed on that's all. The previous Century lasted to just 4 years, which surprised the distributor as well. Now on another Century and hopefully it will lasts for another 4 years too.

Speedys3210 reply with Century on Post # 4 should be more or less 4 years, I suspect.

Only after buying a new Century battery, I've read somewhere on this forum that Amaron lasts a cool 7 years. Curious today I walked into Amaron's dealers and the dealer said this after hearing what I've said about 7 years lifespan, "Its hard to say, some couple of months, some its 1-2 years, some its couple of years. Depends on luck."

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 7 2019, 10:04 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 7 2019, 10:10 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Jan 7 2019, 09:25 PM)
1. century hybrid ns70l (non mf) present...... bought b4 gst
2. yokohama flattop ns70 (non mf) early 2000s
3. bosch ns60 (non mf) present...... bought b4 gst

i suspect the bosch is a rebadged panasonic as they have the same status indicator
You could be right on the rebadging thing. Outsourcing among certain production practices is not uncommon, instead of creating wastages if other has achieved higher efficiency.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 7 2019, 10:12 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 8 2019, 12:44 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Jan 8 2019, 12:03 PM)
none of my batteries lasted more than 2 years.. lol..
There was a time Century batteries used to last just until the warranty was over, until I found this forum. Sifting through countless posts it's soon apparent that proper care & maintenance is required to maintain the state of health over a longer duration.

Since putting things into practice I've managed to prolong the Century battery to the 4 year mark compared to all previous Century batteries in the past.

The idea of this thread is to collect data to identify batteries that generally last more than 4 years, however having said that I still would want to change battery once it reaches the 4 year mark due to various other reasons.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 8 2019, 12:50 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 8 2019, 12:49 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(SKYjack @ Jan 8 2019, 10:43 AM)
Battery technology has taken a huge leap recently. Many of you experienced batt life of less than 2 years. Well there are new & better batts in the market now. It all how much you want to pay.

New batts are EFB & AGM

AGM is the best and could cost $2k+. These could last 7years or more!
Thank you very much for such invaluable information. Never knew that battery had made such leap in technology. Will keep an eye out for EFB & AGM batteries. πŸ‘πŸ»
Roman Catholic
post Jan 8 2019, 12:59 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 8 2019, 10:57 AM)
no, i didnt insulate, everything is kept stock on the car...but its good to have insulation as you mentioned, especially our hot weather here, which kills battery life faster.

From my personal experience battery sold here are just lower in quality and spec, hence in average local battery last only about 2 years.

When i use to live in US, most of the batteries came with 3-5 years warranty, they hardly die
Hi VeeJay,

The US 3-5 years Warranty, does that apply to states like Hawaii & southern Florida too ?
Roman Catholic
post Jan 8 2019, 01:52 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(overfloe @ Jan 8 2019, 01:33 PM)
i guess one of the contributing of my short battery life is the need to switch on the lights when traveling to work and home as well as start-stop traffic.
Since you wrote about Start-Stop, does this feature the Start-Stop button reduces the battery lifespan too ?
Roman Catholic
post Jan 8 2019, 02:36 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(janggutbiru @ Jan 8 2019, 02:28 PM)
i tot most car battery can last is around 2 years
That's what I thought too until I showed 2 individuals the Century battery that lasted for 4 years. That's what they would like us to think, but we really have to think out of the box !
Roman Catholic
post Jan 9 2019, 10:12 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(zyde @ Jan 9 2019, 09:54 PM)
anyone using AMARON? heard the battery lasted for 4 yrs +
I've heard that Amaron lasts for a solid 7 years. Yeah I going to try Amaron out on my next purchase, once my newly purchase Century expires in 4 years time or any other Century that expires.
Roman Catholic
post Jan 10 2019, 09:54 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(senscents @ Jan 10 2019, 12:20 AM)
How do you prolong your battery life. Mind to share your battery maintenance procedure ? Tq
That's a very good question that needs a well thought & laid out answer. Will reply you again once I've straightened out my thoughts.

Warning ⚠️ I am no battery expert but since I've managed to hit the 4 year mark, now I want to try hitting the 7 year mark for battery lifespan. If that possible, I could increase the replacement battery period from 3 years to 5 years before the battery dies out.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 10 2019, 09:56 AM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 10 2019, 11:36 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(exeon @ Jan 10 2019, 11:03 AM)
TQ 'exeon' for Battery FAQ.

Never heard of vibration being an issue before but I reckon it should be with the hazardous chemical inside. A real big problem.
Roman Catholic
post Jan 10 2019, 07:34 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

I think its better to break up the answer into parts and prioritize them in a logical sequence, instead of cramping everything into 1 answer.

NO # 1 SELECT BEST WARRANTY TO BEGIN WITH

Like everything else, start with the best quality you can afford similar to genetics. A battery that offered with a good warranty means the manufacturer stands by the product it makes and vice verse.

My benchmark is that battery warranties that don't even pass 18 months warranty is not considered, just my elimination technique of weeding out low quality stuffs.

Today a friend of mine battery wouldn't fire up and it's only 5 months old !!! Warranty was for 1 year. I could write about further crazier testimonies on this but it only solidifies the point on beginning with a good quality battery.

Note : I've used only Century for so long that I don't even remember if I had used other models before. So my experience will be exclusively on 1 particular brand only albeit a limited one.

Successes are 1 Century died after touching the 4 year mark. Another Century just passed a 3 year mark. Previous attempts or should I say no attempts, all died after the warranty period. The manufacturer's are very smart people.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 10 2019, 07:39 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 10 2019, 07:45 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Jan 10 2019, 07:41 PM)
Battery very sensitive to heat. If battery is located inside the front bonnet, it won't last long. Max also 2 years if lucky.

If located underneath the rear seats or rear boot, easily 4-5 years.
Very true indeed, that's why all my earlier batteries died within the 2 year mark because of the heat. The real question is how do we go about circumventing this issue since my batteries are located in the engine bay. πŸ˜‚

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 10 2019, 07:48 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 10 2019, 08:45 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Jan 10 2019, 08:13 PM)
Relocate to rear boot. Can DIY. Parts sold on Lozada.

U need a battery post and some welding cables. Also a battery box with ventilation.
TQ for the tip. Now I know where the guy got it from. 🀣

Just that I am not good with DIY and no wireman hence am extremely cautious about adding wires into a vehicle because faulty wires, unapproved wires etc could easily catch fire. This is way way above me already. So I had to work around this limitation.

Roman Catholic
post Jan 11 2019, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

NO # 2 : MODERATE TEMPERATURE FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

It's common knowledge that extreme temperatures reduces the lifespan of lead acid batteries, I won't go into details about chemical reactions etc but I will state what I had done under existing circumstances (battery in the engine bay) being in a tropical country.

Cars that have their battery located in places other than the engine bay, the battery seems to be able to hold out longer than those in the engine Bay Area. Besides my father-in-law very old Toyota Corona with exceptionally large bonnet allows maximum Ventilation within a confined space as compared to modern smaller cars.

NOTE : Hence I strongly believe & suspect the key word is PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO EXTREME TEMPERATURES which actually reduces its lifespan.

A) INSULATE THE BATTERY - Having an insulator in place helps cut the heat being radiated to the battery drastically.

B) OPEN UP THE BONNET FOR MAXIMUM AERATION & HEAT DISSIPATION - After most of my drives where permissible, I will open up my bonnet even to the Service Center for the engine bay to cool faster. The Service Advisor was like "What's wrong with your car ? Why the bonnet open up ?" I just smiled and replied "Nothing just admiring the engine." πŸ˜†

C) DURING DRIVING THE BONNET IS UNLOCK BUT LATCHED POSITON - I been reminded so many times by countless good motorists but I believe with the speed I am going the bonnet has NOT flung open wide. Certified not an F1 driver. This is to allow better air flow. However I have been thinking about another alternative to this that is air intake manifold (is that the proper term) like those American muscle cars to force feed air into the engine Bay Area that all. Since my cars ain't got no muscle, those manifold really looks out of place.

D) PARK IN A SHADED AREA - This is just to cut heat buildup inside the engine bay. 3 of my cars has shaded car park but unfortunately for 1 car, hence that Century ain't goin last as the other 3 that's in the shade.

All these will sound crazy to the unintiated but in my quest I really have to test out these crazy ideas and the strange thing is that it has worked for me. It not one size fit all solution, cause I cannot expect those staying in apartments to sit beside their car just to cool down before going home.

We are all faced with different sets of limitation just that we have to constantly figure out & try out until we find what works.

Although the suggestion to locate the battery to other parts in the car beside the engine bay is a good one especially for DIY forummers, this got me thinking some other related problems since I am on non-MF Batteries. If it's located inside the cabin, the gases produce is highly flammable right ? Even if it's moved to the boot, vapors could still travel into the cabin area right ? Manufactures that have batteries located elsewhere must have found a solution to this. I am just a regular bloke with 0 knowledge on batteries or cars, shifting battery is definately a good idea but it's just way above me abt this moment. Need to build up on my Kung-fu skills before I even dare to accept this challenge.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 11 2019, 12:15 PM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 11 2019, 07:50 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(senscents @ Jan 11 2019, 03:29 PM)
Good advise. Thanks
That's just on ventilation alone. Will post another on maintenance.
Roman Catholic
post Jan 12 2019, 12:15 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

NO # 3 : MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE & MORE MAINTENANCE.

Crazy as it sounds, who on earth maintains their car batteries but this is often overlook even by me, before but not anymore, not anymore.

NOTE : non-maintenance free Century battery used.

A) KEEP WATER πŸ’¦ LEVELS UP - I am guilty as charged and since I know better now, hopefully I won't screw up in the future again.

B) INSPECT & CLEAN POSTS & TERMINALS - Any gunk that's forming at the contact points must be cleaned off. Wire brush or sand down the posts & terminals for a completely clean contact. This is so important.

B) REMOVE & WASH DOWN THE BATTERY - Simple act of cleaning the battery removes any possibility small leakages or discharges from the battery itself. Thereafter wipe it down with a dry cloth and leave to completely air dry before reinstalling back firmly into its position.

C) BUY & INSTALL BATTERY CAP COVER - To prevent the hazardous material from damaging the underneath of your metal bonnet.

D) FINALLY BUY BATTERY CHARGER (I don't have one yet as now I am learning about them to find out which is most suitable) - Keeping the battery in fully charged condition constantly seems to me is the only way in prolonging the lifespan of the batteries to 7-8 year mark at least that what's written in their advertisement.

It's sure a step up for me if I can extend the battery lifespan from 4 years to 6,7 or 8 years with the soon to be purchased charger.

WARNING ⚠️ Safety precautions must be adhered too at all times like goggles & gloves. Remember no rings & necklaces or chain etc.

P/S : Finally modern car already has to much electronics that's zapping the life out of the battery already and if I want to prolong its lifespan I shouldn't be adding anymore strain or burden other than necessary e.g. locking the car manually and not engaging the alarm 🚨.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 12 2019, 01:13 AM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 12 2019, 12:44 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

This is an important step in NO # 1.

Always check the manufacturer's website on the latest list of authorized distributors first, before proceeding to purchase your next battery from them.

That's it I guess and hopefully with those basic steps you too can improve your odds in increasing your battery lifespan.

I remember there was a question somewhere about how many cars I have. Well under my charge directly there are 5 cars Toyota, Kia, Proton & Peroduas. Indirectly there are Nissan, Subaru & more Peroduas & Protons.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 12 2019, 01:02 AM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 12 2019, 01:08 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Jan 7 2019, 09:25 PM)
1. century hybrid ns70l (non mf) present...... bought b4 gst
2. yokohama flattop ns70 (non mf) early 2000s
3. bosch ns60 (non mf) present...... bought b4 gst

i suspect the bosch is a rebadged panasonic as they have the same status indicator
Bro, this caught my eye your Yokohama battery has been in service since 2000 ? That's like 18 years ! The others are equally impressive too and they are non-MF too. 😳

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 12 2019, 01:14 AM
Roman Catholic
post Jan 12 2019, 01:21 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Jan 7 2019, 09:44 PM)
This has no purpose. 4 years plus are either old cars with no electronics or cars that batteries are located at the rear & far from heat. Stock battery Nissan Almera, E spec GS Yuasa (start stop type) 3yrs.
Oh I reassure you purpose it has. Depends very much how you want to look at things and what you want to achieve. I have a car that's laden with electronics that I hardly use and its non-MF battery just past 2 years old. Battery was tested on 29/12 still in great condition. Will see how that goes.

26 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0589sec    0.62    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th May 2021 - 02:52 PM