Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

IamAHuman
post Jan 8 2019, 07:27 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 8 2019, 12:38 AM)
Varta stock 7yrs..plus
What car?
IamAHuman
post Jan 8 2019, 11:23 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 8 2019, 10:26 AM)
2011 passat cc 2.0
Oh... contis! Usually, they are last very long as their battery is located at the boot area and not engine bay.

My beemer is now 6 years and still going strong! (I hope! haha)
IamAHuman
post Jan 24 2019, 11:07 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 24 2019, 11:06 AM)
UPDATE : Battery brands that has lasted minimum of 4 years or more.

Battery Brand (Seal of Approval)
1. Varta (5 votes)
2. Century (4 votes)
3. Panasonic (1 vote: MF - Stock)

Instead of searching for testimonies only, I've decided that to further strengthen the above data, within my Catholic community and of close friends, i will start gathering real data i.e. their used battery to conduct further tests.
BMW original batt - 6 years but time to change already
IamAHuman
post Jan 24 2019, 10:08 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 24 2019, 09:24 PM)
Wait a minute, if I recall properly you did mentioned that you were getting a battery charger am I not right ? If you were getting the charger, didn't the charger prolong the battery lifespan ? What brand was your batttery ? What charger did you buy ?
Charger have not arrived yet and my batt is a little weak. Will update once it arrives.
IamAHuman
post Apr 8 2019, 03:55 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(allenultra @ Apr 8 2019, 03:39 PM)
Camel DIN100L AGM - RM800 siap pasang, trade-in, battery registration

* Just sharing, will post in Garage Sales instead for other models
I wanted to get this as the price is really attractive. However, it's from China and it's still new in the market. Rather spend a bit more to be safe as the battery is the only thing that connects and supplies electricity to the vehicle.

In the end, I got myself a Banner - Running Bull.
IamAHuman
post Apr 9 2019, 08:27 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Apr 8 2019, 10:35 PM)
DIN60 AGM jual berapa bos?
Lead acid battery is not some super high tech precision manufacturing level. Not to say that batteries are easy to manufacture, but the construction and chemistry is pretty similar across brands.
For me, I'd rather be safe in trusted brands rather than unknown brands. After all, it's fitted to a vehicle that cost probably at least 100x more than the battery itself.
IamAHuman
post Oct 28 2019, 05:23 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(freeman1 @ Oct 28 2019, 08:11 AM)
No brand can survive more than 3 years...
Original bmw battery lasted more than 6 years. I changed it just to be safe. Some bmw owners claimed they’ve just the original battery for 7 years or more.

It really depends on your driving pattern (long journeys vs short ones) and perhaps parking under the sun or shade.
IamAHuman
post Oct 28 2019, 06:39 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 28 2019, 05:50 PM)
it could be that the batteries provided with the car arent from malaysia. In the US batteries will not last long, because of the business or cash flow which includes the whole recycling process. If you watch the documentaries its impressive.

Some japanese and european manufacturers also would have the same focus, on longevity for instance. I heard even for normal AA batteries that where its manufactured regardless of brand plays a bigger role in how much mAh you get and its lifespan and performance.
You can get imported (from European or US countries) batteries out there. For example, varta comes in 2 types of makes. One that is made in Korea (which comprise of 80-90% of their supplies here) and the other is from Germany. I believe those that’s made in Germany will definitely last longer.

Also, another important factor when choosing your batteries are the month and year made. Obviously, if you get old stocks, your batteries will not last long if compared to the fresh made batteries. You can google to find out this fact.

IamAHuman
post Feb 28 2021, 04:39 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 02:48 PM)
About a week ago I received a call from a potential client asking about battery for his car. I requested if I could drop by to test out the battery but the client declined saying he rather wait until the battery died instead. Then I told him what would happen ....

So today morning, he asked me to drop by to have a look as the battery failed to start. Tested his battery, it was dead but the damn thing is no matter what I did I couldn't jump it. The car simply refused to crank.

Now the worst case scenario either

1. The ECU has fried, OR
2. The Stater Motor has been damaged by the weakening battery.

Penny wise, pound foolish. He wanted to save money by using the battery until it could not start but he did not know that by doing so, he has indirectly damaged other sensitive electrical components.

If only he had listened, he would have saved a lot too, not to mention the trouble he has to go through now.
out of curiosity, what car was he driving?
IamAHuman
post Feb 28 2021, 05:07 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 04:40 PM)
Almera the previous model. Not the latest one.
I'm quite surprise that Almera could suffer ECU problems as the whole car is not hyper power sensitive. Perhaps more on the starter motor whereby the carbon is the problem. Afterall, the car has already aged since it's the previous model.

Anyway, do let us know what was the problem.
IamAHuman
post Mar 7 2021, 10:12 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 7 2021, 06:26 PM)
Poor chap busted his Starter Motor because his battery was already too weak and he continued to use it, despite me warning him of the dangers of continued usage of a weak battery. So in the end, he ended up not only buying a new battery which was unavoidable but he had to spend on a new Starter Motor which was completely avoidable. If it was the carbon in the Starter Motor as you have mentioned, the mechanic that came just changed the entire Starter Motor instead.

Here is the strange thing based on my past observation from various battery replacements that I had done, not every weak battery resulted in a weakening power to the Starter Motor when put to the test. Maybe the test were done early on during the battery's degradation process. I will have to register from hereonwards every brand and model of weak battery that results in a weak Starter Test. If a certain brand keeps popping up, then we have a sure "winner". 😦 This is something new that I will have to take note of.
There should be a correlation on weak battery that causes the starter motor to fail earlier. However, until it’s proven, it’s just a theory. I believe the starter motor has aged and hence it started to deteriorate gradually. The weaken battery could have cause it to fail earlier but that’s just an assumption which no one could verify unless there’s a solid scientific research done on it.

Anyway, good to know it’s the starter instead of the ecu which would cost 3x more!

QUOTE(vexus @ Mar 7 2021, 09:12 PM)
the only car battery that can last damn long is BMW. hahahaha
Agree but it’s also one or even the most expensive in the market.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0973sec    0.67    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:07 PM