Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

4WD_er
post Jan 8 2019, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 8 2019, 10:26 AM)
2011 passat cc 2.0
With heat insulation and regular charging or not ?

I know batteries in BMW or Merc can last long on models with battery located at the boot which is far from engine heat, something like 7-8 years max.

I recently wrapped all of my cars' batteries, and do regular charging with my Bosch C7, hopefully it can last long.

On my previous Audi A6, the battery lasted the full 5 years when I sold it off in August, state of health ("SOH") rated at 70% when I sold it. Still being used by the new owner.
4WD_er
post Mar 1 2019, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2019, 05:21 PM)
Just received the 1st battery casualty. It has been only in service for 5 months !!!

user posted image

While it shows a 100% charge on the Multimeter but it couldn't fire up the vehicle yesterday. Will see how it goes once further test are completed.

user posted image
Better use proper battery meter to test it, could you test the CCA of this battery, State of charge, state of health ?
4WD_er
post Apr 27 2020, 06:16 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

For me I just charge 3 (all) of my family cars with Bosch C7 charger, every 3-4 week once, MCO or not. Total peace of mind.

Battery more lasting as well.

Amaron (CCA 380) for my girl's car is reaching 3 years this July.

Amaron (CCA 600) for wife's car is reaching 2 years this June.

Rocket AGM (CCA 850), reaching 2 years this Sep.

Target is to hit 3 years at least for each of these.
4WD_er
post Oct 5 2020, 09:15 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

Not yet 4 years, but the Amaron battery in my daughter's Picanto has passed 3 years. With monthly charging using Bosch C7, hopefully it can last till 4 years. (Hi-Life, replaced on 07 Jun 2017.

BTW, as I bought the car used (with the Amaron inside), the regular charging only started after the battery passed 15 months. If start from beginning maybe even better. Also during MCO, the car is only driven like once a week. Pulse King desulfator only installed last few weeks.

user posted image

This post has been edited by 4WD_er: Oct 5 2020, 09:16 AM
4WD_er
post Oct 6 2020, 03:57 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Oct 5 2020, 09:57 AM)
I just learned that desulfation is no reversible. So is wondering if those desulfator really works?
No, that is not. In the 1st place I did not expect the desulfator to do wonder to UNDO any damage already happened.

Just wish it can stabilize the current condition and extend the remaining life of the battery.

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Oct 5 2020, 03:54 PM)
Hopefully with the recent addition of the desulfator, 4WD_er wouldn't have to change the Amaron battery forever. However I have personally seen such desulfator in a boot of a Mercedes Benz as well, but the owner eventually still had to replace his battery too. I am not saying that the desulfator is useless and its purpose had been questioned by many. What I would have done is form a base line first for this particular car without any additions whatsoever. The next battery replacement then add in a desulfator and see if there is any improvement etc etc.
As said, no I don't expect a Amaron battery to last forever. But I do hope will all that I am doing I can happily declare here in 9-10 months time that my battery exceed 4 years biggrin.gif

What I do :
1. wrap the battery with heat insulation material (as I can't move it to the boot)
2. charge with Bosch C7 monthly, each time min 4 hours
3. lately added desulfator

Target life expectancy for the current Amaron = 4 yrs
4WD_er
post Dec 22 2020, 11:57 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(evilhomura89 @ Dec 22 2020, 11:10 AM)
I plan to get a CTEK as a replacement in the near future.
The bosch is still working as it is, charging at 14.4V standard mode. It just wouldn't switch to AGM charging mode or other mode available.

For me, if I ever plan to open it up after getting a new replacement, it'll just be a learning experience.
Since it's already out of warranty anyway, no harm opening it up just to learn something before discarding it haha.
Emm... I am in a SUV whatsapp group where we have members with Ctek and also Bosch C7.

Those members with Ctek they bought the charger in 2018, some months to a year after they own the diesel SUV. Most have to replace their AGM batteries in less than 2 years since new. That may be due to the fact that they bought the charger halfway thru the ownership of the car.

I have my Bosch C7 prior to owning the diesel SUV. My existing battery running "okish" after 2 years 4 months now, my humble target is 3 years.

So the russian post on C7 charge at diff level does not matter so much I supposed. So long as it's regularly charged.
4WD_er
post Dec 23 2020, 08:35 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Dec 22 2020, 04:31 PM)
2 years for an AGM battery ? Oh my goodness that is really awful.

These 2 year old AGM batteries are not inside the back bonnet right ?
No, it's in engine bay which is quite hot as diesel turbo engines are quite hot partly due to high compression.

My colleague's Mazda CX-5 2.0 GLS also has her AGM battery konk in less than 2 years. I think at about 18-20 months, which is quite bad. Perhaps that is due to CKD, whereby Bermaz put in some cheapo brand.
4WD_er
post Dec 24 2020, 09:42 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Dec 24 2020, 08:13 AM)
There is one apek shop which famous for restoring or repair the Alternator. Most bmw, conti car when there if Alternator got k.o.
Most if not all alternators can be repaired. in most cases it's the carbon that worn off over usage, causing the magnetic clutch not being able to engage the gear to spin the engine.
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

Finally I could not drag any further, still can crank the car with the old battery which was bought in mid June 2017 but I have to charge it every 2weeks and sometimes I need more than 1 crank to start the car. A total of 45 months used.

Got the Amaron Hi-Life at a decent price. Before installation I told to shop to give me few minutes to wrap the battery and they were like rclxub.gif And said, how are they going to sell battery if every owner wrap their battery this way tongue.gif

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by 4WD_er: Mar 3 2021, 11:24 AM
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 3 2021, 11:34 AM)
Damn that is really a nice piece of work there. 👍👍👍👍👍

What material is that ? Are you selling it, is it for sale ?

By the way, I noticed that there's a white colour box at the top of the frame with words written Pulse King, what is that and what does it do ?
Insulation mat from Shopee (size 100 x 40cm). I sticked it on all the side plus bottom
https://shopee.com.my/product/28813288/6510878398

user posted image
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 3 2021, 05:02 PM)
I kinda like the white colour that kinda highlights & outlines the battery making it pop. Since it is glued to the battery itself, it is a waste when the battery is replaced but if everyone is like 4WD-er, I wouldn't mind. 😊
Ha, as I bought the car with the battery already hitting 1.5 years old, all these wrapping or regular charging was not done from the beginning.

So, meaning as I start off with the new battery with all these measures, I am hopeful to hit 4 years for this current battery. So, to waste the wrap every 4 year which is quite ok for me. Only cost me about RM11 per pc, and I only used slightly more than half of a pc.
4WD_er
post Mar 9 2021, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(vexus @ Mar 7 2021, 09:12 PM)
the only car battery that can last damn long is BMW. hahahaha
BMW's issue lies somewhere else, the saving from the long lasting battery ain't save the day for them.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0647sec    0.64    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th May 2021 - 11:39 AM