Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

33 Pages « < 29 30 31 32 33 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

ter001
post Jan 29 2020, 10:21 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Jan 29 2020, 10:03 AM)
Is powdery deposit on the battery holder metal bar, a sign of overfilled battery fluid, or alternator overcharging or sulfation of the battery or is it just a normal occurrence?
I always fill my battery to the miniscule touch as I was told there's a plastic sticj going about 2cm or so downwards from the mouth and when one sees the water touch this stick it means full.
But I often see some powders forming after that.
[SIZE=14]
just drizzle some hot water on the powdery deposit and it will wash away the residue and clean it with a toothbrush. then spray with WD40 penetrant multi-use or equivalent to stop it from forming. Spray some more and wipe off the excess.

The white powder is the result of a process called sulfation, and it's usually caused by a lead-acid battery not being charged enough.
sou12b810
post Jan 29 2020, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(ter001 @ Jan 29 2020, 10:11 AM)
IN ORDER TO ENABLE THE ALTERNATOR TO CHARGE THE BATTERY EFFICIENTLY EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR, YOU GOT TO TURN OFF THE RADIO/DVD/ENTERTAINMENT UNIT COMPLETELY AND TURN OFF YOUR AIR CONDITIONING TOO. IF NOT THE ALTERNATOR IS USED TO POWERING UP ALL YOUR ELECTRONICS IN YOUR CAR AND THEREFORE VERY LITTLE IS USED TO RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY AND THAT IS WHY YOUR BATTERY HAS SHORT LIFE SPAN.
thats what i tell everyone...

car in jam. not moving.. alternator wont charge battery...

people start car to "warm up".. drains battery and destroy battery life..

already 2020.. people still dont understand simple concept..

TSRoman Catholic
post Jan 29 2020, 10:53 AM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ Jan 21 2020, 07:41 AM)
I have the same situation, except the battery than come originally with my city new and the Panasonic that i get, which lasted 30 months and i change it before kaput due to risk as my wife was delivering our 2nd baby soon. Now also on amaron normal for few months.

Hard or cant find Panasonic now
Bro., I think we got our cars at about the same time and my Panasonic battery is still kicking fine and it is 37 months old now. If my calculations are right, this battery should be in working condition for another 37 months. BTW, I swapped out the Panasonic battery into my other work horse that didn't have electronics at all. Will see how that goes. 😊

Yup you are right Panasonic have seem to vanished from the market with the influx of cheaper imported batteries. I find it strange that the market seems to favour the cheapest battery, when in fact it is more expensive in the long run.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jan 29 2020, 10:56 AM
VeeJay
post Jan 29 2020, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,171 posts

QUOTE(salimbest83 @ Jan 29 2020, 10:19 AM)
how much that battery retail currently?
Not sure since havent source for one...but i'm guessing it around 1000 bucks
unknown warrior
post Feb 12 2020, 12:06 PM

15 Years Member /k/ ELDER
3,779 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jan 29 2020, 10:53 AM)
Bro., I think we got our cars at about the same time and my Panasonic battery is still kicking fine and it is 37 months old now. If my calculations are right, this battery should be in working condition for another 37 months. BTW, I swapped out the Panasonic battery into my other work horse that didn't have electronics at all. Will see how that goes. 😊

Yup you are right Panasonic have seem to vanished from the market with the influx of cheaper imported batteries. I find it strange that the market seems to favour the cheapest battery, when in fact it is more expensive in the long run.
So you recommend Panasonic?
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 12 2020, 06:04 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(unknown warrior @ Feb 12 2020, 12:06 PM)
So you recommend Panasonic?
Fancy seeing you here, bro.

Recommend Panasonic, now that's a tough one. While this is my first Panasonic battery, being a loyal Century customer for years, it is really hard to say at this juncture.

While this Panasonic has not pass the 48 month mark yet, so I keeping all fingers crossed first, that it does. After that stage, will to do another test and hopefully I didn't screw up in my math earlier. 😊

However I'd presumed the biggest test would be, IF I could replicate the success on the 1st Panasonic with the next Panasonic battery purchase, if I could find one to buy ! If that is possible, only then I would say that Panasonic is recommended.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Feb 12 2020, 10:46 PM
Sean77
post Feb 14 2020, 04:16 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

Anybody seal or isolate ur car battery here? I mean those that's like a box to cover all tge sides, except top side of course
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 14 2020, 05:28 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(Sean77 @ Feb 14 2020, 04:16 AM)
Anybody seal or isolate ur car battery here? I mean those that's like a box to cover all tge sides, except top side of course
Yes, I have to do have it installed because I want my batteries to last long, really really long. It is called Battery Covers.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Feb 14 2020, 05:29 PM
judehow
post Feb 15 2020, 04:03 PM

Jian
2,530 posts

QUOTE(magnesium @ Jan 7 2019, 08:45 PM)
Bosch maintenance free

2+ years

Go maintenance free

Around 2 years
May I know where is get Bosch reputable agent and dealer ?
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 15 2020, 04:18 PM

On my way
546 posts

Can anyone explain this ?

Before a battery replacement was done for a vehicle with a dead battery, it was jump-started and that managed to crank the vehicle up.

So with the vehicle turned on, the jumpers were removed following its proper sequence.

Now when the (-)ve terminal to the dead battery was removed from the dead battery's post, the vehicle immediately stalled.

Whatever ever happened to the saying that the alternator takes over and provides current to the vehicle and the battery plays no further part after that ?

P/S : After a new battery was installed, the starter snd alternator were tested and they were in excellent condition.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Feb 15 2020, 04:22 PM
LemonKnight
post Feb 15 2020, 09:56 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(judehow @ Feb 15 2020, 04:03 PM)
May I know where is  get Bosch  reputable  agent and dealer ?
Where you at, my man? AAS auto parts ampang love stocking bosch stuff, but I don't think they stock Bosch batteries anymore, you can try asking though.

Or go to Pudu Caltex, there's a bosch service centre next to it.
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 15 2020, 10:20 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(judehow @ Feb 15 2020, 04:03 PM)
May I know where is  get Bosch  reputable  agent and dealer ?
Judehow, you brought up something interesting, reputable. What does reputable agent & dealer generally means in the battery business, it is pricing in terms of the lowest selling price compared to the competitors, or it is service like damn fast battery replacement, or anything else anyone ?
VeeJay
post Feb 15 2020, 10:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,171 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 15 2020, 04:18 PM)
Can anyone explain this ?

Before a battery replacement was done for a vehicle with a dead battery, it was jump-started and that managed to crank the vehicle up.

So with the vehicle turned on, the jumpers were removed following its proper sequence.

Now when the (-)ve terminal to the dead battery was removed from the dead battery's post, the vehicle immediately stalled.

Whatever ever happened to the saying that the alternator takes over and provides current to the vehicle and the battery plays no further part after that ?

P/S : After a new battery was installed, the starter snd alternator were tested and they were in excellent condition.
thats wrong thought....to give an analogy...consider a bicycle with lamp powered with rechargeable battery and dynamo.

when one cycles slow, obviously the dynamo doesnt have the power to lite up the lamp, hence power is drawn from the battery, when the speed is up, the lamps gets the power from the dynamo.

Hence when a car is is slow motion or idle, most of the time, battery is needed unless, you ramp the engine at more than 2000rpm to keep the car alive.

hope that helps
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 15 2020, 10:49 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Feb 15 2020, 10:41 PM)
thats wrong thought....to give an analogy...consider a bicycle with lamp powered with rechargeable battery and dynamo.

when one cycles slow, obviously the dynamo doesnt have the power to lite up the lamp, hence power is drawn from the battery, when the speed is up, the lamps gets the power from the dynamo.

Hence when a car is is slow motion or idle, most of the time, battery is needed unless, you ramp the engine at more than 2000rpm to keep the car alive.

hope that helps
Thanks mate, I've got it. The next time with this particular vehicle again will do likewise. Reason being I've seen and followed the steps being done at a Service Center before on a different car make and it worked. So I thought it would be the same. Luckily nothing bad happened. Learned my mistake.
judehow
post Feb 15 2020, 11:23 PM

Jian
2,530 posts

QUOTE(LemonKnight @ Feb 15 2020, 09:56 PM)
Where you at, my man? AAS auto parts ampang love stocking bosch stuff, but I don't think they stock Bosch batteries anymore, you can try asking though.

Or go to Pudu Caltex, there's a bosch service centre next to it.
Kajang, if dont have I will try century battery then 🙂
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 18 2020, 06:08 AM

On my way
546 posts

Hi everyone,

I've got a hypo question about batteries.

1. Costs Rm200 with 300 CCA, or
2. Costs Rm270 with 450 CCA.

The above are new batteries ceteris paribus, which would you choose and why ? TQVM for joinning in this survey. 😊
voscar
post Feb 18 2020, 03:11 PM

Enthusiast
746 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 18 2020, 06:08 AM)
Hi everyone,

I've got a hypo question about batteries.

1. Costs Rm200 with 300 CCA, or
2. Costs Rm270 with 450 CCA.

The above are new batteries ceteris paribus, which would you choose and why ? TQVM for joinning in this survey. 😊
I will choose option 1, I see no real advantage of having high CCA unless it able to lasts another 1 year longer under normal usage?
For me will choose cheapest reputable brand (century, bosch, amaron, panasonic) and replace after every 2 years. 2 months back 2 family cars' battery dead in 2 week separation, both lasted 2 years 4 months and 2 years 10 months something. Imagine the pocket burden of replacing both DIN 55 sized battery in the same month.

This post has been edited by voscar: Feb 18 2020, 03:12 PM
saikia2046
post Feb 18 2020, 03:17 PM

Casual
398 posts

Brand : Koyoko
Type : maintenance free (Gel type)
Last : now on the 5th year still strong

TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 18 2020, 06:25 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Feb 18 2020, 03:11 PM)
I will choose option 1, I see no real advantage of having high CCA unless it able to lasts another 1 year longer under normal usage?
For me will choose cheapest reputable brand (century, bosch, amaron, panasonic) and replace after every 2 years. 2 months back 2 family cars' battery dead in 2 week separation, both lasted 2 years 4 months and 2 years 10 months something. Imagine the pocket burden of replacing both DIN 55 sized battery in the same month.
Bro, of course under normal circumstances, it is natural that a higher powered unit will last longer than a lower powered unit. The reverse will never hold true.

Don't you find it strange that you lament on the hit on the pocket and yet you resign to the fact that replace every 2 years ?

For me, I personally don't accept such a situation but continuosly strive to look for ways to prolong battery lifespan, even after having the highest CCA installed and acheiving 4 years with that. Even then, it is still unacceptable for me, as now I need to beat my previous achievement of 4 years.

Bro., my advice is, the devil is always in the details, if you get what I mean. 😊

TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 18 2020, 06:32 PM

On my way
546 posts

QUOTE(saikia2046 @ Feb 18 2020, 03:17 PM)
Brand : Koyoko
Type : maintenance free (Gel type)
Last : now on the 5th year still strong
Bro., Koyoko I know is for motorcycles but do they have 12V batteries for vehicles as well ? I have yet to see Koyoko brand anywhere in Melaka. 😔

33 Pages « < 29 30 31 32 33 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0386sec    1.11    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd February 2020 - 08:49 AM