Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

SleeplessEyes
post Apr 29 2021, 08:16 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

Hi Roman Catholic,
Recently I noticed my Axia battery lately showing around 12.4V in the morning and this is just a 10 months old battery (since its labelled June 2020). Should I be worried? Battery level is fine. Starts fine.
Last week, I left the car for about a week of no driving while I drove my Exora.
Then when I took back the car, before starting up, I noticed the battery is around 12.3-12.4V, so I charged it up around 40 mins, though I would say it wasn't a full charge cause I couldn't wait that long.

One thing I must say, lately I only drive short distance.
SleeplessEyes
post Apr 30 2021, 09:44 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

Hi Roman Catholic,
Update: Yesterday evening, I took out the battery from the Axia (cause I stay in an apartment) and I charged it back home. Click below for my observation:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Conclusion
Earlier you quoted : The only thing a charger cannot do is bring up the CCA reading, if only there was 1.
I read that starting voltage / load test voltage has relations with how much the battery is able to start the car - Cranking amps. Thats why some mechanics which has the old fashion battery tester (which looks like a cheese grater) - that one really test the battery starting load.
Photo: https://my-test-11.slatic.net/p/30a827d486e..._720x720q80.jpg
So yes, you are right there, I shouldnt worry about the initial 12.6V . Rather should be more concern about starting voltage.
I believe that the charger doesnt just put volts in there. It puts back amps into the battery, the actual working battery capacity.

SleeplessEyes
post Apr 30 2021, 12:23 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(SilentForever @ Apr 30 2021, 10:45 AM)
May I know what battery charger are u using?  smile.gif
Hi there,
I'm using Foxsur battery charger.

Here is one example:
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/foxsur-1...e0Q0Y8&search=1

SleeplessEyes
post Apr 30 2021, 06:15 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 30 2021, 10:57 AM)
(Removed your earlier long reply, sorry ah  blush.gif )
Click on left arrow to refer back

[....Putting back Amps. What I have notice is that chargers are able to put back minimal amount of amps only. I havent done any calculations on % yet but this is what I have observed only. As the battery is constantly being used, it slowly degrades with shedding, temperature etc. I suspect that it is the shedding of active paste from the lead grids is the major culprit. So over time the battery loses its capacity.

Hi Roman,
Very long reply eh...salute you for writing such a long reply with your handphone thumbup.gif
I usually use my laptop unless I am outside.

First and foremost, the OBD2 I bought is cheap cheap only. RM 13 + RM 3 shipping. Initially bought for my Axia because ECU disabled (yes, disabled) my aircon for water temperature sensor problem (found out via OBD app).
Also it comes handy cause it displays at least an RPM meter , temperature gauge and other customisable gauge , something which my Axia (mine is type E, basic car) don't even have tachometer.
But I read one American forumer, managed to get details about alternator load even from Torque app. Damn.

BTW bro, you are mistaken about my "Smart Alternator" originating from Exora. Its from Axia eh laugh.gif .
I think its nothing gotta do with regenerative braking haha. Not some micro hybrid alternator like Serena Hybrid or Mazda's i-ELoop.
I would say its because - when there is very little electrical demand, the alternator cuts out charging (not totally), that's why my volt meter shows a low 12.8V. That's why I mentioned , when braking - electrical demand increases due to brake lights, then alternator outputs more voltage .
I think your Myvi is able to do it too.

I haven't tried on my Exora, but I think it will more be difficult because it has more electronics. Will try it someday. Need to fully charge the battery then only can test.

Okay, about the charger amps. Yes, they usually output 5-6Amps , it may look small to you, but because its used to charge a battery without any electrical load, that's why it can efficiently charge a battery and supposedly better than depending on alternator for charging. Whereas alternator needs to do both - supply electrical demand and charge the battery at the same time. Again this is what I gather my research info from Mr Google.

But regarding about your comment about shedding is the killer of batteries, mostly say its due to sulfation build up due to undercharge. Also in order for you to know how much amps are put into the battery, you will need a clamp meter, to measure the output amps. Your battery tester cant do that.

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 30 2021, 03:05 PM)
True modern vehicles comes with too much electronics too some extent I will even say it is redundant and that unfortunately zaps a lot of juice from batteries as well. However there are various accounts of batteries lasting way more than 2 years too and that depends very much on the driver as well.

Myvi Advance + Eco Idle I've just replaced the stock Yuasa battery M42 EFB. It lasted 2 years & 6 months.

There's a forummer who claimed his Q85 EFB lasted 5 years. It is possible, just that you must know what you are doing. 😊
If that Myvi with Start Stop tech lasted for 2 1/2 yrs, thats already an achievement. I really wonder if the owner constantly/permanently disable the Eco Idle. Its pretty much just a gimmick to get extra 0.3 KM/L fuel savings, but at a cost of more expensive battery.
I've seen several times, Myvi / Bezza engine stopping automatically, when the driver wants to park their car .
I doubt this system is advance enough to detect steering position. I'm sorry - That's just plain stupid.
It is useful for long traffic light , but not for moving KL traffic jam, which stop for a while then move.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Apr 30 2021, 06:49 PM
SleeplessEyes
post May 1 2021, 02:20 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ May 1 2021, 01:16 PM)
You take out battery, won't it reset your car setting? Im also staying in condo, which is why i hesitate to buy a car battery charger.
Just for the record, my Axia doesn't even have a radio laugh.gif
And BTW Axia's engine ecu is quite simple, after I plug it back in the battery, start engine and drive like normal, like it never happened.

Have to see what car first before attempting to remove totally the battery

SleeplessEyes
post May 2 2021, 09:23 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 2 2021, 04:26 AM)
Wah you really want to save that much until the Axia's radio also you removed ? If everybody follow you, habis la radio manufacturers. 😁

Wait, I thought radio is a standard feature in all cars all along or did Perodua forgot to fixed in the radio for you during production ?

Bro., I got 1 client who asked me is it possible to even remove the car's clock or stop it from functioning, is that even possible ?
Hi brom
Really , allow me to explain. Neither did I remove the radio nor Perodua forget to install the radio laugh.gif

Axia has like 6 types/spec.
E, G, GXtra, SE , AV and Style - The top of the range.

Mine is the lowest spec after G.
What it does not have (in comparison with the G spec)

- Radio.
- Central locking and alarm - I installed 3rd party alarm and central locking.
- No Alloy Rims , so its using steel rims.
- Only Manual Side Mirrors , not electric.
- No rear defogger and rear windscreen wiper
- No Tachometer - Now that's annoying doh.gif
- No ABS . brows.gif
- No back seat pockets. That's fine.

And last but not least - No clock, in all models.

So you see, the car is absolutely bare basic. Only with engine, 4 tyres and aircond. laugh.gif
And its the only car with Manual. Real men's car. flex.gif
Price difference between Manual G and Manual E spec ? RM 5K.
Now the G spec only comes with Auto. Additional 2K.

SleeplessEyes
post May 2 2021, 12:50 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 2 2021, 10:08 AM)
The cheapest batteries ought to be 2nd hand batteries with funny warranty period and the shortest warranty period I've ever came across was 24 hours ! 😱 & Still got people dare to buy. Seller macam tu I betul betul respect dare to goreng customer until chao ta. 😂😂😂
Like my Exora and the Incoe battery la.
Same battery same model, BUT, 2 different prices.
One with 6 months and one with 1 year warranty. Difference by RM 10-15 if I recall

I paid the one with 6 months, knowing that it wont kaput within 6 months.
2 years, and 9 months later, battery still works . My gamble paid it off.
Still wondering if I should replace it on this coming 3rd year.
And you know what, the reseller just strike off the "1 year" with a pen on the card, and write "6 months". Malaysia boleh.

BTW, that reseller is supposedly a battery wholesaler.
SleeplessEyes
post May 13 2021, 01:19 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

Roman Catholic
Hi bro, this is something you probably don't see everyday. And it amaze me why this creatures are attracted to it.

user posted image

Really. I can't brain why are they attracted to these. Its not sweet. It's supposed to be rain water, spilled a bit when filling up the battery.
SleeplessEyes
post May 13 2021, 01:53 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 13 2021, 01:22 PM)
Whoa what are those ? Can't see them clearly, are those ants ?

Must be some chemical in the electrolyte that the insects find it attractive I guess.
Upon further zoom into the insects.. It looks like a party of ants. Without social distancing. laugh.gif

user posted image

I saw 1-2 live ants of similar sized still walking around. Well too bad. Their friends died in vain after drinking the unwanted substance - electrolyte.

Upon Googling - apparently they are attracted to water if they are thirsty.
https://antsauthority.com/why-are-ants-attr...y-cup-of-water/

Okey. This is sounding like National Geographic channel laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: May 13 2021, 01:58 PM
SleeplessEyes
post May 14 2021, 02:24 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ May 14 2021, 06:53 AM)
If it me , just blast it off with water and some brush with detergent
QUOTE(cempedaklife @ May 14 2021, 07:34 AM)
Not weird bro. Sometime i see ants in my water kettle biggrin.gif
They do drink water
Did that this morning, on a relaxing Raya holiday.
Blast it with boiling hot water and wiped clean the battery top part.

Found some voltage leak on the battery top, but after cleaning it, zero battery voltage leaks rclxms.gif
Quick battery preventive maintenance .
So now it's currently being charged back smile.gif
SleeplessEyes
post May 31 2021, 12:59 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(A2Z2U @ May 29 2021, 04:44 PM)
Hi, would like to ask sifu here whether it's safe to disconnect battery from my car for one month. Will the electronic settings go haywire? Planning to leave my car at the workplace during lockdown. My car is Proton Persona.
Just curious - why cant you leave your car at your own home instead?
If it were me , I would charge it every 1 week, with external charger. Just to make sure its fully charged and readily to use, when I need to use the car.
Thats me. So that it doesn't go down below 12.4V.

But to answer your initial question: Yes you can safely disconnect the car battery (if yours is the non CVT type), but the battery will still self discharge the voltage, even without anything plugged in.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: May 31 2021, 01:00 PM
SleeplessEyes
post May 31 2021, 07:27 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(A2Z2U @ May 31 2021, 03:32 PM)
Thank you. It's a relief to hear that smile.gif
I went and did a research on newer Persona and this is what I found.
If the battery were to be disconnected and changed, the electric power steering need to be recalibrate. Though its just an easy job of turning the steering fully to the left and right.

Video is here: https://youtu.be/VTym7NduWGo

Well if it were me, yeah I would take out the battery put it on my motorcycle (since you ride one) and bring it back home to fully charge & maintain. Hehe.

BTW I'm driving Exora and Axia but my Exora battery is already 34.5 months (or 2 yrs and 10months). Pray that it won't die on me this lock down.
SleeplessEyes
post Jun 1 2021, 07:59 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ May 31 2021, 07:29 PM)
If it die, just open battery apps for battery change. I remember last time i ask them to come house at 1am cz found out battery flat once come home from abroad at 1130pm. Hassles free
Thanks for your suggestion but I already have contact for regular battery supplier which has 24 hrs breakdown service, and definitely cheaper than Bateriku, Carput ,etc. smile.gif

In fact I'm more like a DIY person myself. biggrin.gif
SleeplessEyes
post Jun 19 2021, 10:44 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 18 2021, 11:10 PM)
What did you mean when you wrote reliable ?
I think what he means - A battery reseller which is trustworthy, does not scam / cheat

QUOTE(Thayaalan 14 @ Jun 18 2021, 02:48 PM)
Hey all, can anyone point me to a reliable Panasonic car battery seller?
Planning to pick one up for my FD2.
Any recommendations on battery size and it's price range for this car?
You didn't mentioned which area are you from.
If you are from Klang Valley area, you can try TLC Power .
Lot S270, Lorong 6, Jalan Klang, Kampung Bersatu, 47100 Puchong, Selangor

That's one of my reputable supplier. I used to walk in their store.

https://shopee.com.my/%E3%80%90BATTERY-DELI...0718.5718516693

Kinda pricey for a NS60 though.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Jun 19 2021, 10:56 AM
SleeplessEyes
post Jun 21 2021, 08:15 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,791 posts

QUOTE(Thayaalan 14 @ Jun 20 2021, 11:46 PM)
Yeah I meant that. I'm in PJ btw, will check into their store. How much is an NS60? What's considered overpriced?
Hi,
I changed for my Axia, last year, NS60L, for RM 145 , inclusive free "delivery and installation" . Motolite brand , non maintenance free.
Motolite is made by Century also. But this is from a different supplier.

For RM 260, its already in the NS70 region. Not talking about the "hyped up" Amaron battery.
Example: https://shopee.com.my/%E3%80%90BATTERY-DELI...0718.6419765752

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0453sec    0.63    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd June 2021 - 04:10 PM