Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

205 Pages « < 68 69 70 71 72 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 30 2021, 10:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Apr 30 2021, 09:44 AM)
Hi Roman Catholic,
Update: Yesterday evening, I took out the battery from the Axia (cause I stay in an apartment) and I charged it back home. Click below for my observation:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Conclusion
Earlier you quoted : The only thing a charger cannot do is bring up the CCA reading, if only there was 1.
I read that starting voltage / load test voltage has relations with how much the battery is able to start the car - Cranking amps. Thats why some mechanics which has the old fashion battery tester (which looks like a cheese grater) - that one really test the battery starting load.
Photo: https://my-test-11.slatic.net/p/30a827d486e..._720x720q80.jpg
So yes, you are right there, I shouldnt worry about the initial 12.6V . Rather should be more concern about starting voltage.
I believe that the charger doesnt just put volts in there. It puts back amps into the battery, the actual working battery capacity.
Fantastic you got yourself an OBD2 stuff. Been thinking about getting one myself but there are so many things inside I wont understand because I am not a mechanic. Been putting off buying that for the moment.

Wah not bad leh Exora now also has Smart Alternator installed. When you wrote about braking and voltage increasing yeah, I read something about it too regenerative braking but couldnt understand. Anyway I think it must be linked or related to the Smart Alternator system.

With you with keeping the battery in a fully charged up condition everytime and the battery is just 10 months old, I think the battery can surely last one. Nothing to worry. A battery I installed even it was drained 4 times in the 1st month it was installed is still functioning extremely well, what more is your battery never drained before and kept fully charged condition.

Yes, actually my job is to detect cases before Starting voltage / load test situation begins, once it has started it has the possibility of increasing the rate of wear & tear to the Stater Motor or worst still damaging it. So being able to advice customers accurately about their battery state of health and charge is crucial.

Putting back Amps. What I have notice is that chargers are able to put back minimal amount of amps only. I havent done any calculations on % yet but this is what I have observed only. As the battery is constantly being used, it slowly degrades with shedding, temperature etc. I suspect that it is the shedding of active paste from the lead grids is the major culprit. So over time the battery loses its capacity.

Anyway from the earlier battery test comparison provided, the 2nd example registered a 12.83V when tested (looks like it was fully charged) but when Starter Test was performed it failed completely. So trying to interpret the health of the battery from voltage reading alone is hardly accurate. Luckily your battery was dated, I've noticed batteries recently traded-in are without installed dates indicated. Hmmmm I wonder why ... 😞

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 30 2021, 10:59 AM
SleeplessEyes
post Apr 30 2021, 12:23 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

QUOTE(SilentForever @ Apr 30 2021, 10:45 AM)
May I know what battery charger are u using?  smile.gif
Hi there,
I'm using Foxsur battery charger.

Here is one example:
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/foxsur-1...e0Q0Y8&search=1

iZuDeeN
post Apr 30 2021, 12:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,334 posts

i see newer cars with electronics very hard to get past 2 yrs

yes old cars .. carburator based can last very long 3-4 yrs
markblurberry
post Apr 30 2021, 02:50 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

My car batt just died on me last night, it's a century mf, lasted for 2 years and a bit expensive to be honest - rm320 for ns70L...just changed this morning to Incoe with same spec for rm270..if it can last for same time frame of 2 years, would be a bonus..
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 30 2021, 03:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Apr 30 2021, 12:25 PM)
i see newer cars with electronics very hard to get past 2 yrs

yes old cars .. carburator based can last very long 3-4 yrs
True modern vehicles comes with too much electronics too some extent I will even say it is redundant and that unfortunately zaps a lot of juice from batteries as well. However there are various accounts of batteries lasting way more than 2 years too and that depends very much on the driver as well.

Myvi Advance + Eco Idle I've just replaced the stock Yuasa battery M42 EFB. It lasted 2 years & 6 months.

There's a forummer who claimed his Q85 EFB lasted 5 years. It is possible, just that you must know what you are doing. 😊
SleeplessEyes
post Apr 30 2021, 06:15 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 30 2021, 10:57 AM)
(Removed your earlier long reply, sorry ah  blush.gif )
Click on left arrow to refer back

[....Putting back Amps. What I have notice is that chargers are able to put back minimal amount of amps only. I havent done any calculations on % yet but this is what I have observed only. As the battery is constantly being used, it slowly degrades with shedding, temperature etc. I suspect that it is the shedding of active paste from the lead grids is the major culprit. So over time the battery loses its capacity.

Hi Roman,
Very long reply eh...salute you for writing such a long reply with your handphone thumbup.gif
I usually use my laptop unless I am outside.

First and foremost, the OBD2 I bought is cheap cheap only. RM 13 + RM 3 shipping. Initially bought for my Axia because ECU disabled (yes, disabled) my aircon for water temperature sensor problem (found out via OBD app).
Also it comes handy cause it displays at least an RPM meter , temperature gauge and other customisable gauge , something which my Axia (mine is type E, basic car) don't even have tachometer.
But I read one American forumer, managed to get details about alternator load even from Torque app. Damn.

BTW bro, you are mistaken about my "Smart Alternator" originating from Exora. Its from Axia eh laugh.gif .
I think its nothing gotta do with regenerative braking haha. Not some micro hybrid alternator like Serena Hybrid or Mazda's i-ELoop.
I would say its because - when there is very little electrical demand, the alternator cuts out charging (not totally), that's why my volt meter shows a low 12.8V. That's why I mentioned , when braking - electrical demand increases due to brake lights, then alternator outputs more voltage .
I think your Myvi is able to do it too.

I haven't tried on my Exora, but I think it will more be difficult because it has more electronics. Will try it someday. Need to fully charge the battery then only can test.

Okay, about the charger amps. Yes, they usually output 5-6Amps , it may look small to you, but because its used to charge a battery without any electrical load, that's why it can efficiently charge a battery and supposedly better than depending on alternator for charging. Whereas alternator needs to do both - supply electrical demand and charge the battery at the same time. Again this is what I gather my research info from Mr Google.

But regarding about your comment about shedding is the killer of batteries, mostly say its due to sulfation build up due to undercharge. Also in order for you to know how much amps are put into the battery, you will need a clamp meter, to measure the output amps. Your battery tester cant do that.

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 30 2021, 03:05 PM)
True modern vehicles comes with too much electronics too some extent I will even say it is redundant and that unfortunately zaps a lot of juice from batteries as well. However there are various accounts of batteries lasting way more than 2 years too and that depends very much on the driver as well.

Myvi Advance + Eco Idle I've just replaced the stock Yuasa battery M42 EFB. It lasted 2 years & 6 months.

There's a forummer who claimed his Q85 EFB lasted 5 years. It is possible, just that you must know what you are doing. 😊
If that Myvi with Start Stop tech lasted for 2 1/2 yrs, thats already an achievement. I really wonder if the owner constantly/permanently disable the Eco Idle. Its pretty much just a gimmick to get extra 0.3 KM/L fuel savings, but at a cost of more expensive battery.
I've seen several times, Myvi / Bezza engine stopping automatically, when the driver wants to park their car .
I doubt this system is advance enough to detect steering position. I'm sorry - That's just plain stupid.
It is useful for long traffic light , but not for moving KL traffic jam, which stop for a while then move.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Apr 30 2021, 06:49 PM
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 30 2021, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Apr 30 2021, 06:15 PM)
Hi Roman,
Very long reply eh...salute you for writing such a long reply with your handphone  thumbup.gif
I usually use my laptop unless I am outside.

First and foremost, the OBD2 I bought is cheap cheap only. RM 13 + RM 3 shipping. Initially bought for my Axia because ECU disabled (yes, disabled) my aircon for water temperature sensor problem (found out via OBD app).
Also it comes handy cause it displays at least an RPM meter , temperature gauge and other customisable gauge , something which my Axia (mine is type E, basic car) don't even have tachometer.
But I read one American forumer, managed to get details about alternator load even from Torque app. Damn.

BTW bro, you are mistaken about my "Smart Alternator" originating from Exora. Its from Axia eh  laugh.gif .
I think its nothing gotta do with regenerative braking haha. Not some micro hybrid alternator like Serena Hybrid or Mazda's i-ELoop.
I would say its because - when there is very little electrical demand, the alternator cuts out charging (not totally), that's why my volt meter shows a low 12.8V. That's why I mentioned , when braking - electrical demand increases due to brake lights, then alternator outputs more voltage .
I think your Myvi is able to do it too.

I haven't tried on my Exora, but I think it will more be difficult because it has more electronics. Will try it someday. Need to fully charge the battery then only can test.

Okay, about the charger amps. Yes, they usually output 5-6Amps , it may look small to you, but because its used to charge a battery without any electrical load, that's why it can efficiently charge a battery and supposedly better than depending on alternator for charging. Whereas alternator needs to do both - supply electrical demand and charge the battery at the same time. Again this is what I gather my research info from Mr Google.

But regarding about your comment about shedding is the killer of batteries, mostly say its due to sulfation build up due to undercharge. Also in order for you to know how much amps are put into the battery, you will need a clamp meter, to measure the output amps. Your battery tester cant do that.
If that Myvi with Start Stop tech lasted for 2 1/2 yrs, thats already an achievement. I really wonder if the owner constantly/permanently disable the Eco Idle. Its pretty much just a gimmick to get extra 0.3 KM/L fuel savings, but at a cost of more expensive battery.
I've seen several times, Myvi / Bezza engine stopping automatically, when the driver wants to park their car .
I doubt this system is advance enough to detect steering position. I'm sorry - That's just plain stupid.
It is useful for long traffic light , but not for moving KL traffic jam, which stop for a while then move.
The Myvi Adv + Eco Idle is white in colour and the owner parks the Myvi under the sun despite me advising her many times to park the car under the shade which is away from her shop. I get the feeling maybe she likes to see her white Myvi in front of her shop.

Out of curiosity, I charged up her dead Yuasa EFB M42 and then tested it again today, just to see if that could make any difference to a degrading battery. Here's the result

BATTERY TEST : Replace Battery
Volts : 12.35V
Measured : 164CCA
STARTER TEST : Replace Battery
Volts : 7.92V
CHARGING TEST : OK
Volts : 13.96V

Although the charger managed to push it up by 17% CCA but it still failed the Battery Conductance Test. Starter Test shows that the voltage has dropped even further if I am not mistaken from 8+V previously. Visual inspection showed that both sides of the battery had expanded outwards. This battery is completely finished.

Will write a again later, today I am completely flat myself. Good nite everyone.
cempedaklife
post May 1 2021, 01:16 PM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Apr 30 2021, 09:44 AM)
Hi Roman Catholic,
Update: Yesterday evening, I took out the battery from the Axia (cause I stay in an apartment) and I charged it back home. Click below for my observation:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Conclusion
Earlier you quoted : The only thing a charger cannot do is bring up the CCA reading, if only there was 1.
I read that starting voltage / load test voltage has relations with how much the battery is able to start the car - Cranking amps. Thats why some mechanics which has the old fashion battery tester (which looks like a cheese grater) - that one really test the battery starting load.
Photo: https://my-test-11.slatic.net/p/30a827d486e..._720x720q80.jpg
So yes, you are right there, I shouldnt worry about the initial 12.6V . Rather should be more concern about starting voltage.
I believe that the charger doesnt just put volts in there. It puts back amps into the battery, the actual working battery capacity.
You take out battery, won't it reset your car setting? Im also staying in condo, which is why i hesitate to buy a car battery charger.
SleeplessEyes
post May 1 2021, 02:20 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ May 1 2021, 01:16 PM)
You take out battery, won't it reset your car setting? Im also staying in condo, which is why i hesitate to buy a car battery charger.
Just for the record, my Axia doesn't even have a radio laugh.gif
And BTW Axia's engine ecu is quite simple, after I plug it back in the battery, start engine and drive like normal, like it never happened.

Have to see what car first before attempting to remove totally the battery

ayamxxx
post May 1 2021, 02:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,073 posts

Most car nowadays don't lose out the settings, fm save station even after open the battery. In my accord no issue, but Viva it is, it lose out all fm station there
thefryingfox
post May 1 2021, 03:00 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

Motolite. Seriously last damn long
ffrozz
post May 1 2021, 03:07 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

Panasonic Q85, lasted more than 4.5 years before I replaced it recently
cempedaklife
post May 1 2021, 03:22 PM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ May 1 2021, 02:58 PM)
Most car nowadays don't lose out the settings, fm save station even after open the battery. In my accord no issue, but Viva it is, it lose out all fm station there
what year is your accord?
TSRoman Catholic
post May 1 2021, 03:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Yes you are correct it will reset the setting if the removal of the battery was not done correctly. Worst case scenario some modern cars will even fail to start ! During battery replacements it is pointless to take unnecessary risk to find out which car is ok and not ok. Always think safety first.

It was a battery replacement actually for the client, so the degraded Yuasa EFB M42 had to be removed already. Out of curiosity I recharged the dead battery just to see how a degraded EFB battery would behave.

After it was recharged I tested it on my vehicle and it still failed as expected. Since my vehicle is an old one without electronics, there is no risk of damaging any electronics except for the Starter Motor.

Unfortunately in a condo environment will be difficult to do any kind of charging, unless your unit is the closest to the carpark to be able to run wires down to the car. Then you will need to wait beside the car until the battery is fully charged up.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: May 1 2021, 04:07 PM
ayamxxx
post May 1 2021, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,073 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ May 1 2021, 03:22 PM)
what year is your accord?
TSRoman Catholic
post May 1 2021, 06:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Was thinking about your situation.

1. Is your car under utilized ?
2. What is the mileage per year like ?

Any vehicles that is used regularly, if the electrical charging system is in perfect working order, the battery ought to be fully charged. Therefore an external charger is not necessary.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: May 1 2021, 06:27 PM
cempedaklife
post May 1 2021, 08:31 PM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ May 1 2021, 06:20 PM)
Was thinking about your situation.

1. Is your car under utilized ?
2. What is the mileage per year like ?

Any vehicles that is used regularly, if the electrical charging system is in perfect working order, the battery ought to be fully charged. Therefore an external charger is not necessary.
The last year because of mco, my mileage only 3k km in a year. My company now practice work from home.

Luckily the current amaron go still can tahan. Now 2 years counting
TSRoman Catholic
post May 1 2021, 09:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ May 1 2021, 08:31 PM)
The last year because of mco, my mileage only 3k km in a year. My company now practice work from home.

Luckily the current amaron go still can tahan. Now 2 years counting
Hmmm interesting. Bro., when it is possible please get a Battery Test done and and share the printed results. TQVM

3K mileage is exceptionally low, as this will have adverse effects on the battery like under-charging leading to sulphation and stratification issues eventually.

Due to the current pandemic and although its a different brand, I still would like check with my Principal Co., to see if extremely low usage will affect the warranty provided.

Interesting. ☺

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: May 1 2021, 09:37 PM
TSRoman Catholic
post May 2 2021, 04:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(ffrozz @ May 1 2021, 03:07 PM)
Panasonic Q85, lasted more than 4.5 years before I replaced it recently
👍👍👍👍👍

EFB Q85 lasted 4.5 < x < 5 years, that is impressive. Hebat juga your skill. 😊

Is it a Mazda CX5 ?
TSRoman Catholic
post May 2 2021, 04:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ May 1 2021, 02:20 PM)
Just for the record, my Axia doesn't even have a radio laugh.gif
And BTW Axia's engine ecu is quite simple, after I plug it back in the battery, start engine and drive like normal, like it never happened.

Have to see what car first before attempting to remove totally the battery
Wah you really want to save that much until the Axia's radio also you removed ? If everybody follow you, habis la radio manufacturers. 😁

Wait, I thought radio is a standard feature in all cars all along or did Perodua forgot to fixed in the radio for you during production ?

Bro., I got 1 client who asked me is it possible to even remove the car's clock or stop it from functioning, is that even possible ?

205 Pages « < 68 69 70 71 72 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0291sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:49 AM