Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

71 Pages « < 67 68 69 70 71 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

ayamxxx
post Apr 17 2021, 10:39 PM

Regular
1,283 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 17 2021, 12:02 PM)
Just returned from Proton Service Centre in Peringgit Melaka and glad to inform that the authorized personnel at the store said that for the X70 the appropriate battery size is DIN66L and it can be used in both the CBU & CKD models, although the earlier CBU models came with an AGM battery.

Knowing me, the kiasu and kiasi type, if I had both CBU & CKD models, the batteries would be an AGM and a SLI batteries respectively.

In 1 of Nazz Abdullah videos he said that he has never heard of any problems with the CBU X70. Anyway it would be interesting to know owners comments on

1. CBU X70 + AGM Battery
2. CBU X70 + SLI Battery
3. CKD X70 + AGM Battery
4. CKD X70 + SLI Battery
Mine ckd and come with normal mf camel battery brand. Sorry no idea about size and type etc. But being me, i just put battery charger once a month for 1 hour +. Based on the charger indicators
kevinlim001
post Apr 18 2021, 07:59 AM

Ethical Hacker
5,601 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 17 2021, 02:36 PM)
Your friends X70 must be a CBU unit, right ?
How long did your friends Made in China Varta AGM battery lasted ?
The new Amaron battery an AGM type or a SLI battery ?
yea x70 cbu.. varta china last less than 2 years
new amaron he himself has no idea but the price he paid for it was 500+ i guess its normal type not AGM
Roman Catholic
post Apr 18 2021, 08:35 AM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Apr 17 2021, 10:39 PM)
Mine ckd and come with normal mf camel battery brand. Sorry no idea about size and type etc. But being me, i just put battery charger once a month for 1 hour +. Based on the charger indicators
I apologize I forgot to mentioned the correct specification is DIN66L and the brand that Proton authorized personnel brought out to show me was a Century DIN66L.
Roman Catholic
post Apr 18 2021, 09:06 AM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Apr 18 2021, 07:59 AM)
yea x70 cbu.. varta china last less than 2 years
new amaron he himself has no idea but the price he paid for it was 500+ i guess its normal type not AGM
What is certain is that I am positive that the CBU I checked had a Made in China Varta AGM battery. That raises a few question now.

AGM batteries are very good batteries and they really do last. How is it that your friend's AGM battery only lasted <2 years, whereas AGM batteries last so much much longer in other continental cars ?

Another question is, was that truly an AGM Battery that came in your friends CBU X70 in the first place ? Varta advocates that it is only proper to change an AGM battery for another AGM battery and those with EFB battery can either use an EFB battery or upgrade to an AGM battery. Its always an upgrade and never downgrade. However when your friend was provided normal type Amaron that is the issue. AGM to normal type is definately a downgrade.

If your friend bought the CKD X70, then I would understand since Proton recommends DIN66L for the CKD units. Since Proton is the providing warranty to X70 who am I or Varta to say that it is wrong ? However for those who decides to change battery outside and not use Proton Service Center or use Century thats recommended by Proton, if anything were to happen, sendiri pandai pandai lo.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 18 2021, 09:08 AM
kevinlim001
post Apr 19 2021, 08:41 AM

Ethical Hacker
5,601 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 18 2021, 09:06 AM)
What is certain is that I am positive that the CBU I checked had a Made in China Varta AGM battery. That raises a few question now.

AGM batteries are very good batteries and they really do last. How is it that your friend's AGM battery only lasted <2 years, whereas AGM batteries last so much much longer in other continental cars ?

Another question is, was that truly an AGM Battery that came in your friends CBU X70 in the first place ? Varta advocates that it is only proper to change an AGM battery for another AGM battery and those with EFB battery can either use an EFB battery or upgrade to an AGM battery. Its always an upgrade and never downgrade. However when your friend was provided normal type Amaron that is the issue. AGM to normal type is definately a downgrade.

If your friend bought the CKD X70, then I would understand since Proton recommends DIN66L for the CKD units. Since Proton is the providing warranty to X70 who am I or Varta to say that it is wrong ? However for those who decides to change battery outside and not use Proton Service Center or use Century thats recommended by Proton, if anything were to happen, sendiri pandai pandai lo.
The continental AGM size seem bigger and the placement are more strategic. I am not sure how the things will go for my friend but will update in case i heard more from him. rclxub.gif
Roman Catholic
post Apr 19 2021, 08:56 AM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Apr 19 2021, 08:41 AM)
The continental AGM size seem bigger and the placement are more strategic. I am not sure how the things will go for my friend but will update in case i heard more from him. rclxub.gif
Couldnt agree more about placement. It is the worst place to be.

Been scanning YouTube videos for more detailed information to understand more about Proton X70 battery failures. It appears that only 2 videos mentioned the Varta AGM battery died at 33,790km & 40,500km mileage or 1yr < x < 2yr period.

For CKD units installed with DIN66L battery, their time will come.
kevinlim001
post Apr 19 2021, 09:12 AM

Ethical Hacker
5,601 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 19 2021, 08:56 AM)
Couldnt agree more about placement. It is the worst place to be.

Been scanning YouTube videos for more detailed information to understand more about Proton X70 battery failures. It appears that only 2 videos mentioned the Varta AGM battery died at 33,790km & 40,500km mileage or 1yr < x < 2yr period.

For CKD units installed with DIN66L battery, their time will come.
i remember how cx5 group was fully of battery failure on the first gen. The battery provided by Mazda factory was not up to consumer standard which will die prematurely OR die right after warranty is done (like my case - 1 year 3 months). Recently it seems to have less case reported.. I hope proton case is not as severe as Mazda thumbsup.gif
Roman Catholic
post Apr 19 2021, 09:41 AM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:12 AM)
i remember how cx5 group was fully of battery failure on the first gen. The battery provided by Mazda factory was not up to consumer standard which will die prematurely OR die right after warranty is done (like my case - 1 year 3 months). Recently it seems to have less case reported.. I hope proton case is not as severe as Mazda :thumbsup:
Yeah Mazda case, for the early batches I believe an under specification battery was use. However with all the complaints, Mazda has since change its battery supplier and now with better and higher specification and pricier battery being used, the number of complaints had fallen drastically.

However I am not too sure if this can work for Proton. Moving from AGM battery to normal battery that is not even an EFB battery, I can only imagine the number of complaints that is going to come.

I think the people needs to understand that todays modern cars with so many unnecessary electrical devices that requires so much more power, all these extra power is going to come at an extra cost, which then increases the price of battery inevitably. For example the latest 3rd generation Myvi with Eco-Idle feature, the cost of those EFB battery alone is 2X that of the normal RFB battery.

Oh yeah the number of YouTube videos titled Differences between X70 CBU and CKD was a real let down. None of the YouTube video ever mentioned about AGM battery in CBU and normal RFB in CKD. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 19 2021, 04:05 PM
bristlebb
post Apr 26 2021, 01:28 PM

Casual
420 posts

anyone use CAMEL Plus Battery here?

how does it fare against brands like varta or century in NS60 spec

This post has been edited by bristlebb: Apr 26 2021, 01:33 PM
Roman Catholic
post Apr 26 2021, 01:40 PM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(bristlebb @ Apr 26 2021, 01:28 PM)

I believe that there is a forummer here, who mentioned that he decided to try out Camel since it was the cheapest or something to that effect and he will post his thoughts about his Camel, once he is done with it. Guess you will have to wait until that Camel battery dies.
bristlebb
post Apr 26 2021, 01:46 PM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 26 2021, 01:40 PM)
I believe that there is a forummer here, who mentioned that he decided to try out Camel since it was the cheapest or something to that effect and he will post his thoughts about his Camel, once he is done with it. Guess you will have to wait until that Camel battery dies.
thanks for your reply!
ayamxxx
post Apr 26 2021, 02:20 PM

Regular
1,283 posts

im using it now for my accord. warranty was 18th months and now my car heading to 22 months on that battery. Battery still in good condition as 1 month ago when doing an oil change. Ask the foreman to check my battery level and confirm.
bristlebb
post Apr 26 2021, 02:32 PM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Apr 26 2021, 02:20 PM)
im using it now for my accord. warranty was 18th months and now my car heading to 22 months on that battery. Battery still in good condition as 1 month ago when doing an oil change. Ask the foreman to check my battery level and confirm.
thanks i saw your comment in the same page..

i think your's still in good condition probably because you do regular charging..correct me if i'm wrong.

also what brand did you use before camel?
ayamxxx
post Apr 26 2021, 03:04 PM

Regular
1,283 posts

QUOTE(bristlebb @ Apr 26 2021, 02:32 PM)
thanks i saw your comment in the same page..

i think your's still in good condition probably because you do regular charging..correct me if i'm wrong.

also what brand did you use before camel?
before this Panasonic MF and changed it at Honda SC. that one last me 4 years without charging etc. Camel chose due to the price and warranty offered. Charging done once a months after warranty expired.
Roman Catholic
post Apr 26 2021, 03:15 PM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Apr 26 2021, 03:04 PM)
before this Panasonic MF and changed it at Honda SC. that one last me 4 years without charging etc. Camel chose due to the price and warranty offered. Charging done once a months after warranty expired.
Bro., was the Camel batt from SC too ?
ayamxxx
post Apr 26 2021, 03:55 PM

Regular
1,283 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 26 2021, 03:15 PM)
Bro., was the Camel batt from SC too ?
Nope outside. After car warranty expires.
speedy3210
post Apr 26 2021, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

On Camel Plus now. Exactly 1 yr, so still under warranty. Still cranks like a champ.

On down side is its terminals tend to oxidise (whitish powder). No, not due to acid fumes leaking out. I am guessing it was due to the terminal material. I just solve it by cleaning the terminals with sand paper, applying a very thin layer of lithium grease, wipe clean with paper towel afterward (grease layer is now very thin after the wipe) and re-attach the battery connectors.

Overall, much better than the crap Yokohama MF that barely survived 15mth. If compared to Bosch SM (near MF) 38B23, Camel offers much better cranking power. Just not sure if it can match Bosch's 62mth in-service record (and still output around 200A when tested after traded in).
Roman Catholic
post Apr 26 2021, 11:16 PM

Regular
1,220 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Apr 26 2021, 11:10 PM)
On Camel Plus now. Exactly 1 yr, so still under warranty. Still cranks like a champ.

On down side is its terminals tend to oxidise (whitish powder). No, not due to acid fumes leaking out. I am guessing it was due to the terminal material. just solve it by cleaning the terminals with sand paper, applying a very thin layer of lithium grease, wipe clean with paper towel afterward (grease layer is now very thin after the wipe) and re-attach the battery connectors.

Overall, much better than the crap Yokohama MF that barely survived 15mth. If compared to Bosch SM (near MF) 38B23, Camel offers much better cranking power. Just not sure if it can match Bosch's 62mth in-service record (and still output around 200A when tested after traded in).
Now that you have mentioned it, yeah I remember seeing a particular traded-in dead battery with a weird condition. Part of the battery post has corroded away. I have yet to come across this situation among other battery brands and I have yet to come across a similar brand again with that particular problem. Will keep an eye out for this brand.

Although still pumping out 200A, it must retire already because it can fail at anytime especially under stress or worse still damage other electronics due to unstable voltage supply. 62 months exceptionally good already.

Why wasn't lithium grease placed before the oxidation process began ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 26 2021, 11:27 PM
gn655198
post Apr 28 2021, 11:46 AM

Getting Started
206 posts

Century maintenance free lasted me about 3 year.
GP battery about 2 year
BOSCH only lasted me about 1 year and 2 month
speedy3210
post Apr 28 2021, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
270 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 26 2021, 11:16 PM)
Why wasn't lithium grease placed before the oxidation process began ?
Coz i have not seen this problem for 18yrs already. Last seen on a Sime brand battery in 2003. Never had to apply grease for so long and suddenly this pop up again. But easily spotted and rectified during weekend.

Just that I don't like applying a layer of grease over terminals coz it will raise electrical resistance value. Normal resistance between terminal and connector is negligible 1-2 ohm. With the application of grease, it rose to 5-7 ohm. Nothing much but still don't like it.

71 Pages « < 67 68 69 70 71 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0288sec    0.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 11th May 2021 - 12:07 PM