Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages « < 65 66 67 68 69 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 3 2021, 06:08 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Mar 3 2021, 05:15 PM)
Ha, as I bought the car with the battery already hitting 1.5 years old, all these wrapping or regular charging was not done from the beginning. 

So, meaning as I start off with the new battery with all these measures, I am hopeful to hit 4 years for this current battery.  So, to waste the wrap every 4 year which is quite ok for me.  Only cost me about RM11 per pc, and I only used slightly more than half of a pc.
If your vehicle's electrical charging system is in perfect working condition and so it is with this Amaron battery, surely it can hit 4 years easily.
speedy3210
post Mar 4 2021, 10:53 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Mar 3 2021, 05:15 PM)
Ha, as I bought the car with the battery already hitting 1.5 years old, all these wrapping or regular charging was not done from the beginning. 

So, meaning as I start off with the new battery with all these measures, I am hopeful to hit 4 years for this current battery.  So, to waste the wrap every 4 year which is quite ok for me.  Only cost me about RM11 per pc, and I only used slightly more than half of a pc.
I thought you left out the top part due to insufficient material. Since you have extra, might as well make a "cover" from what's left. Reason is the top of the battery is where the water/electrolyte recovery channels/system is located. Keeping that part will surely won't hurt the recovery process.

But make sure don't cover the vent holes. I am guessing the vent hole is located next to the word A of the AMARON label. The 2nd hole is most probably at the other end of the casing.
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 4 2021, 08:18 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Mar 4 2021, 10:53 AM)
I thought you left out the top part due to insufficient material. Since you have extra, might as well make a "cover" from what's left. Reason is the top of the battery is where the water/electrolyte recovery channels/system is located. Keeping that part will surely won't hurt the recovery process.

But make sure don't cover the vent holes. I am guessing the vent hole is located next to the word A of the AMARON label. The 2nd hole is most probably at the other end of the casing.
Hi bro., nice to hear from you again.

I don't understand this, is there any specific reason to cover the top of the battery with insulation at all ? Of course, after taking into consideration your advice of not covering the vent holes especially.
SleeplessEyes
post Mar 5 2021, 01:28 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,724 posts

Roman Catholic bro, just asking your opinion.

If let's say I need to wait for my son / daughter for 30 mins, then during this few Time I start engine , idle for few minutes maybe like 10 mins, stop engine, repeat several times do you think it's still alright for the battery.
Turn on engine just for aircond..but you know la..off engine to save petrol, even though mine is Axia 1000cc

Well unfortunately mine is not EFB just regular non MF NS60.
How I wish mine is hybrid. Run the aircond from battery.
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 5 2021, 02:33 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Mar 5 2021, 01:28 PM)
Roman Catholic bro, just asking your opinion.

If let's say I need to wait for my son / daughter for 30 mins, then during this few Time I start engine , idle for few minutes maybe like 10 mins, stop engine, repeat several times do you think it's still alright for the battery.
Turn on engine just for aircond..but you know la..off engine to save petrol, even though mine is Axia 1000cc

Well unfortunately mine is not EFB just regular non MF NS60.
How I wish mine is hybrid. Run the aircond from battery.
Great question and seriously I have no have life data to validate that.

With the current heat wave, I would think that it would be a better option to leave the engine with the air-conditioner on under a shaded area with the hood open, instead of turning off and on the car a couple of times which would consume even more amps I presume.

I would only dare to do this if its a new battery, but if it's an aged or old outgoing battery, I would be extremely cautious because the battery may not be able to crank the next morning if the amps had fallen too low.
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 7 2021, 06:26 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Feb 28 2021, 05:07 PM)
I'm quite surprise that Almera could suffer ECU problems as the whole car is not hyper power sensitive. Perhaps more on the starter motor whereby the carbon is the problem. Afterall, the car has already aged since it's the previous model.

Anyway, do let us know what was the problem.
Poor chap busted his Starter Motor because his battery was already too weak and he continued to use it, despite me warning him of the dangers of continued usage of a weak battery. So in the end, he ended up not only buying a new battery which was unavoidable but he had to spend on a new Starter Motor which was completely avoidable. If it was the carbon in the Starter Motor as you have mentioned, the mechanic that came just changed the entire Starter Motor instead.

Here is the strange thing based on my past observation from various battery replacements that I had done, not every weak battery resulted in a weakening power to the Starter Motor when put to the test. Maybe the test were done early on during the battery's degradation process. I will have to register from hereonwards every brand and model of weak battery that results in a weak Starter Test. If a certain brand keeps popping up, then we have a sure "winner". 😦 This is something new that I will have to take note of.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 7 2021, 06:28 PM
vexus
post Mar 7 2021, 09:12 PM

Master of Eatery & Sleeping
6,419 posts

the only car battery that can last damn long is BMW. hahahaha
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 7 2021, 09:57 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(vexus @ Mar 7 2021, 09:12 PM)
No arguements there at the moment. 😊

But just you wait, until other car manufacturers starts fixing the batteries in the boot area to win over buyers. A little bird once told me Toyota has started this with the Yaris but I have yet to verify that out. 😜

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 7 2021, 09:58 PM
IamAHuman
post Mar 7 2021, 10:12 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 7 2021, 06:26 PM)
Poor chap busted his Starter Motor because his battery was already too weak and he continued to use it, despite me warning him of the dangers of continued usage of a weak battery. So in the end, he ended up not only buying a new battery which was unavoidable but he had to spend on a new Starter Motor which was completely avoidable. If it was the carbon in the Starter Motor as you have mentioned, the mechanic that came just changed the entire Starter Motor instead.

Here is the strange thing based on my past observation from various battery replacements that I had done, not every weak battery resulted in a weakening power to the Starter Motor when put to the test. Maybe the test were done early on during the battery's degradation process. I will have to register from hereonwards every brand and model of weak battery that results in a weak Starter Test. If a certain brand keeps popping up, then we have a sure "winner". 😦 This is something new that I will have to take note of.
There should be a correlation on weak battery that causes the starter motor to fail earlier. However, until it’s proven, it’s just a theory. I believe the starter motor has aged and hence it started to deteriorate gradually. The weaken battery could have cause it to fail earlier but that’s just an assumption which no one could verify unless there’s a solid scientific research done on it.

Anyway, good to know it’s the starter instead of the ecu which would cost 3x more!

Agree but it’s also one or even the most expensive in the market.
4WD_er
post Mar 9 2021, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

BMW's issue lies somewhere else, the saving from the long lasting battery ain't save the day for them.
<-- no content -->
speedy3210
post Mar 9 2021, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

Just my 2sen on this weak battery causes starter premature death issue.... the starter didn't die from the weak battery directly, but it died indirectly due to overzealousness in trying to crank by user/tech.

Most of the time, life of starter motor --> time to crank engine.

If engine/battery combo good --> short crank --> long starter motor life

If sub-par engine/battery combo --> long and/or multiple crank(s) --> short motor life

We need to bear in mind, starter that won't/can't crank due to weak battery, still have electrical current flowing thru the circuit. Just that the current supplied by weak battery wasn't enough to crank, or can crank but not enough to power ECU/injectors/sensors due to voltage dip.

These tries/attempts will wear out the carbon brushes and solenoid faster than normal due to the sheer amount of tries. Also one tend to crank far longer than normal when battery juice was low.

Assuming the starter motor requires 900W (for the sake of ease of calculation) of juice to crank, a 12v battery needs to dump out 75A of current just to fulfil the requirement of starter motor. You can add in other electrical requirement of ECU, BCU, injectors, fuel pump(s), engine sensors, instrument lights etc etc. Thats the reason why every car model got its own minimum value of CCA for battery.

Hope this explanation contributes to better understanding. Cheers.
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 9 2021, 10:19 AM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Mar 7 2021, 10:12 PM)
There should be a correlation on weak battery that causes the starter motor to fail earlier. However, until it’s proven, it’s just a theory. I believe the starter motor has aged and hence it started to deteriorate gradually. The weaken battery could have cause it to fail earlier but that’s just an assumption which no one could verify unless there’s a solid scientific research done on it.

Anyway, good to know it’s the starter instead of the ecu which would cost 3x more!
Agree but it’s also one or even the most expensive in the market.
If i am not mistaken, bro. SleeplessEyes did upload a YouTube video about the stress created by a weakening battery on other electrical components. I am not as good or knowledgeable as that guy but I think in that video did do the necessary tests to prove. Since I am not that intelligent I will just take the readings from the tester, it is good enough already for me but it depends on whether my clients wants to believe or not, at the end of the day.

I just did a battery replacement for a Honda Civic after showing and giving the test report to the client, showing that the Starter Test was having problems. According to him, he had to jump start the car before coming to see me. When a good battery was replaced, the fault cleared up immediately when the Starter Motor was tested again.

Lets take another example, the previous generation Myvi infamous entertainment unit that will encounter the Black Screen of Death the moment the battery has started its degradation process. My client's Myvi the very same model thats under my care have not suffered anything at all because the moment the degradation process starts, the battery is replaced to avoid damaging the sensitive electrical components.

Old cars would not suffer much because lesser electronics but it is the new cars that sensitive. I will ask the owner of the Almera with the busted Starter Motor again like the age of his vehicle, has he changed the Starter Motor before etc etc. His Almera looked pretty shiny and in well kept condition and according to him, he seldom uses the Almera since he uses his 3 other vehicles more.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 9 2021, 10:44 PM
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 9 2021, 11:37 AM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Mar 9 2021, 10:14 AM)
Just my 2sen on this weak battery causes starter premature death issue.... the starter didn't die from the weak battery directly, but it died indirectly due to overzealousness in trying to crank by user/tech.

Most of the time, life of starter motor --> time to crank engine.

If engine/battery combo good --> short crank --> long starter motor life

If sub-par engine/battery combo --> long and/or multiple crank(s) --> short motor life

We need to bear in mind, starter that won't/can't crank due to weak battery, still have electrical current flowing thru the circuit. Just that the current supplied by weak battery wasn't enough to crank, or can crank but not enough to power ECU/injectors/sensors due to voltage dip.

These tries/attempts will wear out the carbon brushes and solenoid faster than normal due to the sheer amount of tries. Also one tend to crank far longer than normal when battery juice was low.

Assuming the starter motor requires 900W (for the sake of ease of calculation) of juice to crank, a 12v battery needs to dump out 75A of current just to fulfil the requirement of starter motor. You can add in other electrical requirement of ECU, BCU, injectors, fuel pump(s), engine sensors, instrument lights etc etc. Thats the reason why every car model got its own minimum value of CCA for battery.

Hope this explanation contributes to better understanding. Cheers.
Excellent explanation.

Even if the weakening battery is able to power up the vehicle, the risk will be to other sensitive electrical components due to irregular voltage supply. Imagine working on an important project on the desktop without a UPS and the irregular voltage supply is going to kill that project anytime.

Here's a crazy idea.

If only manufacturers designed sufficient space to allow the fixing of another additional battery in parallel, that would be excellent. So that a new battery could be added at the same time allowing the old battery to run itself out. Possible ?
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 9 2021, 10:53 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

Dear Friends,

Please avoid all seafood in our rivers right up to the river mouth and along our coastline too because of severe contamination of heavy metals.

Seafood that much safer to eat are those caught from the deep sea as far as possible from our coastline in international waters or fishes known to cultured from safe and good practices.
evilhomura89
post Apr 5 2021, 08:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,607 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 30 2021, 04:22 PM)
even for regular lead acid, the voltage level didn't reach the mark....

i do monthly charging to compensate the lack of charging with engine running.....does it  mean my battery charger rosak? I'm using a ctek mxs 5.0
all lead acid battery susceptible to heat....actually some newer mercedes have their battery in engine bay now...
Was doing a bit of research on battery chargers recently and stumbled upon this youtube channel doing a 1 hour detailed teardown of the CTEK MXS 5.0

The conclusion given was CTEK is "An expensive piece of very cheap hardware design".
After watching it, my personal opinion of CTEK just went down the drain. So, it's basically just all marketing that made it look real good.

What do you guys think?

This post has been edited by evilhomura89: Apr 5 2021, 08:19 PM
ayamxxx
post Apr 5 2021, 10:11 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

So basically my kids car toy battery k.o, the 4.5ah 6V battery, similar to motorcycle battery. Test meter around 8-9v while when ok around 12v.

Follow this link, YouTube

I dont know this type of battery got battery water to top up. Hence put battery water to it and put on my battery charger. It went as new, 13v back.
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 7 2021, 05:45 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

THE IMPORTANCE OF TESTING BATTERY

Today an Iswara Aeroback Starter Motor failed together with it's battery.

To avoid damaging the Starter Motor, do get the battery tested together with the vehicle's electrical charging system regularly especially once the battery's warranty had expired or better still close to its expiry.

Change out the weakening battery if the diagnostic system indicates so, otherwise one risks wasting more money in replacing the starter motor or other sensitive electrical components when it gets damaged.

One thing that I've noticed is that :

1. A good battery will never show stress on the starter in the test result, however

2. A weakening battery will sometimes, not always show stress on the starter in the test result.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 7 2021, 05:54 PM
Duckies
post Apr 14 2021, 11:31 PM

Rubber Ducky
8,954 posts

My car (Mazda Cx-5) battery (Delkor) just died after 1 year and 8 months. Was looking for recommendation...some people recommended Varta or Amaron. Not sure which is better.
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 14 2021, 11:42 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Apr 14 2021, 11:31 PM)
My car (Mazda Cx-5) battery (Delkor) just died after 1 year and 8 months. Was looking for recommendation...some people recommended Varta or Amaron. Not sure which is better.
Is your CX5 with the Start-Stop function or without ?

If you are in Melaka, do let me know otherwise, I suggest that you visit your authorized service center because from what I understand is that Bermaz has changed their battery supplier whom now provides a higher capacity battery plus longer warranty than before.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 14 2021, 11:43 PM
Duckies
post Apr 14 2021, 11:44 PM

Rubber Ducky
8,954 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Apr 14 2021, 11:42 PM)
Is your CX5 with the Start-Stop function or without ?

If you are in Melaka, do let me know otherwise, I suggest that you visit your authorized service center because from what I understand is that Bermaz has changed their battery supplier whom now provides a higher capacity battery plus longer warranty than before.
Comes with start-stop function which I hate. I am in KL and Selangor haha. Oh, is it? The one I got from SC is the Delkor one which only last 1 year and 8 months. Plus it's very expensive at 600+

69 Pages « < 65 66 67 68 69 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0243sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2021 - 12:13 AM