Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

72 Pages « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 28 2021, 02:48 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

About a week ago I received a call from a potential client asking about battery for his car. I requested if I could drop by to test out the battery but the client declined saying he rather wait until the battery died instead. Then I told him what would happen ....

So today morning, he asked me to drop by to have a look as the battery failed to start. Tested his battery, it was dead but the damn thing is no matter what I did I couldn't jump it. The car simply refused to crank.

Now the worst case scenario either

1. The ECU has fried, OR
2. The Stater Motor has been damaged by the weakening battery.

Penny wise, pound foolish. He wanted to save money by using the battery until it could not start but he did not know that by doing so, he has indirectly damaged other sensitive electrical components.

If only he had listened, he would have saved a lot too, not to mention the trouble he has to go through now.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Feb 28 2021, 02:50 PM
IamAHuman
post Feb 28 2021, 04:39 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 02:48 PM)
About a week ago I received a call from a potential client asking about battery for his car. I requested if I could drop by to test out the battery but the client declined saying he rather wait until the battery died instead. Then I told him what would happen ....

So today morning, he asked me to drop by to have a look as the battery failed to start. Tested his battery, it was dead but the damn thing is no matter what I did I couldn't jump it. The car simply refused to crank.

1. The ECU has fried, OR

Penny wise, pound foolish. He wanted to save money by using the battery until it could not start but he did not know that by doing so, he has indirectly damaged other sensitive electrical components.

If only he had listened, he would have saved a lot too, not to mention the trouble he has to go through now.
out of curiosity, what car was he driving?
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 28 2021, 04:40 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Feb 28 2021, 04:39 PM)
out of curiosity, what car was he driving?
Almera the previous model. Not the latest one.
IamAHuman
post Feb 28 2021, 05:07 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 04:40 PM)
Almera the previous model. Not the latest one.
I'm quite surprise that Almera could suffer ECU problems as the whole car is not hyper power sensitive. Perhaps more on the starter motor whereby the carbon is the problem. Afterall, the car has already aged since it's the previous model.

Anyway, do let us know what was the problem.
TSRoman Catholic
post Feb 28 2021, 05:39 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(IamAHuman @ Feb 28 2021, 05:07 PM)
I'm quite surprise that Almera could suffer ECU problems as the whole car is not hyper power sensitive. Perhaps more on the starter motor whereby the carbon is the problem. Afterall, the car has already aged since it's the previous model.

Anyway, do let us know what was the problem.
It was my mistake, I should have asked him did he tried to jump-start the car earlier. Improper jump-starting process could have fried the ECU.

No worries I will post an update once the issue has been resolved.

ayamxxx
post Mar 1 2021, 09:20 AM

Regular
1,294 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 05:39 PM)
It was my mistake, I should have asked him did he tried to jump-start the car earlier. Improper jump-starting process could have fried the ECU.

No worries I will post an update once the issue has been resolved.
Lesson learnt is to change battery every a year or 2 or if want to extend it, recharge the battery. Is it? Mind to advise from your view

This post has been edited by ayamxxx: Mar 1 2021, 09:21 AM
fireballs
post Mar 1 2021, 09:43 AM

4,588 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Feb 28 2021, 02:48 PM)

1. The ECU has fried, OR

under voltage should not damage anything. if overcurrent the fuse would burnt.
the danger of using the battery till kong is, getting stranded in middle of nowhere though.

my neighbour car pula had a major damage. cannot start, the battery deliver guy came and replace the battery
whole car no power
then realise he install the battery terbalik. plus and minus terbalik
tow car to workshop. luckily only main fuse burnt
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 1 2021, 11:02 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Mar 1 2021, 09:20 AM)
Lesson learnt is to change battery every a year or 2 or if want to extend it, recharge the battery. Is it? Mind to advise from your view
It is hard to give a straight answer to that, because everyone's battery State of Health is different and so it is with every vehicle's electrical charging system and to re-charge the battery is based upon individual scenarios.

For example, awhile back I was called to attend to a Dr. with a dead battery. I was surprised to see that the battery was very clean and the written date was 2.12.2020. So its just 2 months old. So I told the Dr. no worries, this battery could be recharged back.

Little did I know when I hooked up the tester it registered a BAD CELL status. So feeling rather embarassed, I had to tell the Dr. the truth that this new battery has a Bad Cell and it is suicidal to charge a battery with a Bad Cell, let alone use it.

I then proceeded to test the vehicle charging system and it turned out fine.

I suspect the reseller probably had no idea that he sold a defective battery to the Dr. There is no way a battery that is in good condition could fail within 2 months if the car electrical charging system is in good condition. The unknown brand of Regular Flooded Battery had sufficient water in all the cells. Luckily nothing happened to the Dr. while driving between Muar and Melaka.

Lesson learnt, next time I will keep my mouth shut until the tester shows me a definitive answer. LOL

Above example : New Battery + Bad Cell status = NO recharging

Q : Whether it is 1 or 2 years old battery, will recharging extend its life ?

A : It depends. If the electrical charging system is producing the sufficient voltage under normal use, means the battery is sufficiently charged by the alternator already. Hence connecting it to an external charger is completely unnecessary, in fact wasteful if not detrimental.

However if the electrical charging system is NOT producing the required voltages under normal use, means the battery is NOT sufficiently charged by the alternator. Once that is ascertained to be true, then connecting it to an external charger is very impotant because batteries must kept in a high state of charge.

Time is not the factor here (as seen from above example), what is really important here is the vehicle's electrical charging system.

A good charging system + a good battery = Long life span
A good charging system + a bad battery = Short life span
A crap charging system + a good battery = Short life span

TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 1 2021, 11:07 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Mar 1 2021, 09:43 AM)
under voltage should not damage anything. if overcurrent the fuse would burnt.
the danger of using the battery till kong is, getting stranded in middle of nowhere though.
my neighbour car pula had a major damage. cannot start, the battery deliver guy came and replace the battery
whole car no power
then realise he install the battery terbalik. plus and minus terbalik
tow car to workshop. luckily only main fuse burnt
Has anyone ever realized, battery replacements done under such circumstances seldom lasts. Why ?

Incorrect install ? Gila sial this battery company delivery guy. Not paying attention while on the job.

Luckily its just a main fuse, it could have been much worse than that.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 1 2021, 11:10 AM
fireballs
post Mar 1 2021, 11:19 AM

4,588 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 1 2021, 11:07 AM)
Has anyone ever realized, battery replacements done under such circumstances seldom lasts. Why ?

Incorrect install ? Gila sial this battery company delivery guy. Not paying attention while on the job.

Luckily its just a main fuse, it could have been much worse than that.
exactly.. already expected the worst. ecu burnt.
SleeplessEyes
post Mar 1 2021, 11:20 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
1,757 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 1 2021, 11:02 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I always believe that recharging will reduce discharge depth & keep the battery in high state of charge = which in turns will extend the battery life. But this is only noticeble if one were to drive really short distance and leave the car not running for days & weeks.

One time on my parent's HRV - my mom accidentally left the keys in the igntion (in the car porch) and this causes the "auto headlamp" to be turned on for half an hour. Note that these cars have "Come home" light when engine is turned off. To disable it , have to leave it in "Manual" headlamp mode. No "Off" mode.
But fortunately it was the small headlamp (not small light bulb) which came on.

So I quickly took my battery charger, it was showing 12.5V before charging. Unknown how much was discharged.
Charged it for a good 45 mins , its though not a fully charged process, because we wanted to use the car again. Drove the car, came back, waited for 30 mins, test the voltage - surprised it was at 12.9V. So all is good. (Note: This is Not an AGM battery. Just MF NS60 battery)

However - I got nagging from my mom , asking me why did I charge the battery when the headlamp was turned on. She just say - "Aiyah, I just start the engine, drive and it will be fine lah. Why so complicated do "this" and "that" (refering to the external charging process). If battery weak, I go back to Honda lah " doh.gif
(Sigh, old folks. Cant trust a son what he is doing. I just saved her from any unwanted reduce battery life)

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Mar 1 2021, 11:22 AM
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 1 2021, 12:32 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Mar 1 2021, 11:20 AM)
I always believe that recharging will reduce discharge depth & keep the battery in high state of charge = which in turns will extend the battery life. But this is only noticeble if one were to drive really short distance and leave the car not running for days & weeks.

One time on my parent's HRV - my mom accidentally left the keys in the igntion (in the car porch) and this causes the "auto headlamp" to be turned on for half an hour. Note that these cars have "Come home" light when engine is turned off. To disable it , have to leave it in "Manual" headlamp mode. No "Off" mode.
But fortunately it was the small headlamp (not small light bulb) which came on.

So I quickly took my battery charger, it was showing 12.5V before charging. Unknown how much was discharged.
Charged it for a good 45 mins , its though not a fully charged process, because we wanted to use the car again. Drove the car, came back, waited for 30 mins, test the voltage - surprised it was at 12.9V. So all is good. (Note: This is Not an AGM battery. Just MF NS60 battery)

However - I got nagging from my mom , asking me why did I charge the battery when the headlamp was turned on. She just say - "Aiyah, I just start the engine, drive and it will be fine lah. Why so complicated do "this" and "that" (refering to the external charging process). If battery weak, I go back to Honda lah "Β  doh.gif
(Sigh, old folks. Cant trust a son what he is doing. I just saved her from any unwanted reduce battery life)
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I suspect its ok if the battery was accidentally discharged and requickly recharged back up again because when I think back the Innova case because of the parasitic drain which discharged a newly installed battery and I had to recharged it back up again and again during the 1st month, until today its in perfect working condition until today.

We will never know how much damages such discharge will affect the battery but I am hoping when the Home calls me again for a battery replacement on the Innova, I will want to compare both battery life span.

If the discharged battery has a longer life span compared to a battery that was never discharged in the Innova, that time must really sit down and figure out what on earth really happened.

This will another KIV project.

P/S Those who are wondering what ever happen to the other project Viva 1. Regular driven compared against 2. Hardly driven. Please wait until June or July this year for me to collect data on the regularly driven Viva. Ought to be interesting to note the differences. 😊

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 1 2021, 12:33 PM
fireballs
post Mar 1 2021, 12:38 PM

4,588 posts

you will need to measure the internal resistance. not the voltage alone
or measure voltage with the load bank.
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

Finally I could not drag any further, still can crank the car with the old battery which was bought in mid June 2017 but I have to charge it every 2weeks and sometimes I need more than 1 crank to start the car. A total of 45 months used.

Got the Amaron Hi-Life at a decent price. Before installation I told to shop to give me few minutes to wrap the battery and they were like rclxub.gif And said, how are they going to sell battery if every owner wrap their battery this way tongue.gif

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by 4WD_er: Mar 3 2021, 11:24 AM
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 3 2021, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Mar 3 2021, 11:23 AM)
Finally I could not drag any further, still can crank the car with the old battery which was bought in mid June 2017 but I have to charge it every 2weeks and sometimes I need more than 1 crank to start the car.Β  A total of 45 months used.

Got the Amaron Hi-Life at a decent price.Β  Before installation I told to shop to give me few minutes to wrap the battery and they were likeΒ  rclxub.gifΒ  And said, how are they going to sell battery if every owner wrap their battery this wayΒ  tongue.gif

user posted image
user posted image
Damn that is really a nice piece of work there. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

What material is that ? Are you selling it, is it for sale ?

By the way, I noticed that there's a white colour box at the top of the frame with words written Pulse King, what is that and what does it do ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 3 2021, 11:37 AM
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 3 2021, 11:34 AM)
Damn that is really a nice piece of work there. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

What material is that ? Are you selling it, is it for sale ?

By the way, I noticed that there's a white colour box at the top of the frame with words written Pulse King, what is that and what does it do ?
Insulation mat from Shopee (size 100 x 40cm). I sticked it on all the side plus bottom
https://shopee.com.my/product/28813288/6510878398

user posted image
abubin
post Mar 3 2021, 03:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,906 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Mar 3 2021, 11:23 AM)
Finally I could not drag any further, still can crank the car with the old battery which was bought in mid June 2017 but I have to charge it every 2weeks and sometimes I need more than 1 crank to start the car.  A total of 45 months used.

Got the Amaron Hi-Life at a decent price.  Before installation I told to shop to give me few minutes to wrap the battery and they were like  rclxub.gif  And said, how are they going to sell battery if every owner wrap their battery this way  tongue.gif

user posted image
user posted image
I would say the battery shop people are stupid. That is a good chance for them to upgrade their selling point. That is a good way to differentiate their battery shop from other sellers.Now, bro Roman will upgrade his battery selling service. tongue.gif
TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 3 2021, 05:02 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Mar 3 2021, 03:55 PM)
I would say the battery shop people are stupid. That is a good chance for them to upgrade their selling point. That is a good way to differentiate their battery shop from other sellers.Now, bro Roman will upgrade his battery selling service.  tongue.gif
They are not stupid I can tell you that for sure. They are so smart until I am called for battery assistance, I have to advice potential clients on the need to spend more money to restore all the missing parts neccessary for the sake of the battery's operation and long life.

Missing basic items like

1. Battery Tray
2. Battery Hold-Down or Tie-Down
3. Battery Cover or Insulator
4 Positive Terminal 'Red' Cover

It is logical the more things that are missing, the faster the battery will die, the faster will be the next sale. So they are clever in a way that they are just doing things for their interest only. Maybe I must be clever too and stop being stupid.

I kinda like the white colour that kinda highlights & outlines the battery making it pop. Since it is glued to the battery itself, it is a waste when the battery is replaced

TSRoman Catholic
post Mar 3 2021, 05:02 PM

Regular
1,238 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Mar 3 2021, 03:55 PM)
I would say the battery shop people are stupid. That is a good chance for them to upgrade their selling point. That is a good way to differentiate their battery shop from other sellers.Now, bro Roman will upgrade his battery selling service.Β  tongue.gif
They are not stupid I can tell you that for sure. They are so smart until I am called for battery assistance, I have to advice potential clients on the need to spend more money to restore all the missing parts neccessary for the sake of the battery's operation and long life.

Missing basic items like

1. Battery Tray
2. Battery Hold-Down or Tie-Down
3. Battery Cover or Insulator
4 Positive Terminal 'Red' Cover

It is logical the more things that are missing, the faster the battery will die, the faster will be the next sale. So they are clever in a way that they are just doing things for their interest only. Maybe I must be clever too and stop being stupid.

I kinda like the white colour that kinda highlights & outlines the battery making it pop. Since it is glued to the battery itself, it is a waste when the battery is replaced but if everyone is like 4WD-er, I wouldn't mind. 😊

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 3 2021, 05:03 PM
4WD_er
post Mar 3 2021, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 3 2021, 05:02 PM)
I kinda like the white colour that kinda highlights & outlines the battery making it pop. Since it is glued to the battery itself, it is a waste when the battery is replaced but if everyone is like 4WD-er, I wouldn't mind. 😊
Ha, as I bought the car with the battery already hitting 1.5 years old, all these wrapping or regular charging was not done from the beginning.

So, meaning as I start off with the new battery with all these measures, I am hopeful to hit 4 years for this current battery. So, to waste the wrap every 4 year which is quite ok for me. Only cost me about RM11 per pc, and I only used slightly more than half of a pc.

72 Pages « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0281sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th May 2021 - 10:18 PM