> Why My Door Can't Lock?, come in solve this mystery

views

TSidoblu
post Jan 6 2019, 03:02 PM, updated 6y ago

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

user posted image

When I lock the door, the two fingers (part A) should come out into the strike plate hole.
Sometimes it gets jammed for some reason. So I thought maybe it is rubbing against the strike plate.
But if you look at the spring latch (part B), it is even further out and this part have no problems to masuk the lobang.
Now certain hours like early mornings or late at night, the problem will fix itself and I can lock again.

This happened before many months ago but usually the problem appears on one or two days then go completely away. But these past week, its happening everyday.

why leh?

heres the female part -
user posted image
SUSslimey
post Jan 6 2019, 03:15 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 6 2019, 03:02 PM)
user posted image

When I lock the door, the two fingers (part A) should come out into the strike plate hole.
Sometimes it gets jammed for some reason. So I thought maybe it is rubbing against the strike plate.
But if you look at the spring latch (part B), it is even further out and this part have no problems to masuk the lobang.
Now certain hours like early mornings or late at night, the problem will fix itself and I can lock again.

This happened before many months ago but usually the problem appears on one or two days then go completely away. But these past week, its happening everyday.

why leh?

heres the female part -
user posted image
1. hinge side, may need to tighten screw especially the top hinge. Your door may be slanted down towards the lock side due to weight and time.
2. Adjust the female part. Need to adjust it higher by about 0.5cm. May need to hack a bit of the wood to adjust it higher.

Try not to spray lubrication into the lock. Only last resort as this can either spoil the lock or if lucky make the lock work. No one can really know the outcome.

SUSslimey
post Jan 6 2019, 03:17 PM

6,914 posts

Oh yea. Can try pull the pull the door towards the shut position harder while trying to lock. Wood can warp out of shape over time. Identify the warp part and can sand it out and paint.
ozak
post Jan 6 2019, 03:20 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

2 thing try to check.

When door close, see if the lock touch to the edge of the strike plate.

Temperature plays a role in wood expand and contraction. Temperature change might twist or expand the certain area of your door. This cause the lock can't be engage if it normal position is already at the strike plate edge. (No gap)

user posted image
TSidoblu
post Jan 6 2019, 08:00 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 6 2019, 03:20 PM)
2 thing try to check.

When door close, see if the lock touch to the edge of the strike plate.

Temperature plays a role in wood expand and contraction. Temperature change might twist or expand the certain area of your door. This cause the lock can't be engage if it normal position is already at the strike plate edge. (No gap)

user posted image
QUOTE(slimey @ Jan 6 2019, 03:17 PM)
Oh yea. Can try pull the pull the door towards the shut position harder while trying to lock. Wood can warp out of shape over time. Identify the warp part and can sand it out and paint.
indeed my door is pretty warped but it was warped from the beginning like 3 years ago.
try to push and pull also cannot

if you see the spring latch (part B), when its close, it is almost touching the strike plate already so the two pins will not be able to touch the rear part of the strike plate.
TSidoblu
post Jan 6 2019, 08:21 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

ok guys fixed
the top pin is hitting on the top edge of the strike plate
i keep thinking front and back of the strike plate but cannot see that its the top edge that is giving problems
one thing though, the strike plate dont even have any play as it sits in a slot. Not even 1mm space i can move in any direction. Nevertheless I try to push it up and then tighten the screws. If too tight, cannot. Must be just finger tight.

thanks fellas thumbup.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 6 2019, 08:22 PM
ozak
post Jan 6 2019, 08:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

If want to check the lock got scratch to the plate and which side, use a marker pen to paint on the lock.

Lock and unlock and see it scratch where.
SUSslimey
post Jan 6 2019, 10:36 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 6 2019, 08:21 PM)
ok guys fixed
the top pin is hitting on the top edge of the strike plate
i keep thinking front and back of the strike plate but cannot see that its the top edge that is giving problems
one thing though, the strike plate dont even have any play as it sits in a slot. Not even 1mm space i can move in any direction. Nevertheless I try to push it up and then tighten the screws. If too tight, cannot. Must be just finger tight.

thanks fellas  thumbup.gif

user posted image
yes.......that's the spot.

that's why i suggest take out the strike plate, chisel 0.5cm of wood above and move the whole strike plate upwards.
SUSslimey
post Jan 6 2019, 10:37 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 6 2019, 08:58 PM)
If want to check the lock got scratch to the plate  and which side, use a marker pen to paint on the lock.

Lock and unlock and see it scratch where.
no need le.......i can see the 3 lines on the strike plate clearly.......

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0119sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:37 PM