Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Y ppl change from Original RIM to low quality RIM

legendaryNOKIA
post Jan 6 2019, 12:12 PM, updated 2w ago

Group: Newbie

Just wondering why drivers changed the car RIM from original RIM to after market RIM that is softer and lower quality. Because as I know that those RIM are soft and easily bent or even crack. But why

* I've no comment on those change from ORI RIM to higher quality RIM Because an upgrade is better.

This post has been edited by legendaryNOKIA: Jan 7 2019, 02:10 PM
Jedi
post Jan 6 2019, 12:27 PM

Pax Et Bonum
Group: Senior Member

How do u tell they use low quality rim?
Or fake replica rims?

Only advanti lenso enkei can be good ori light weight rim o?
Inforged vossen... Tak boleh?

Sometimes I also duno. Easily can be conned to pay premium for replica.

But this shop jln ipoh keanleehin smtg claimed to offer genuine ori rims
legendaryNOKIA
post Jan 6 2019, 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Jedi @ Jan 6 2019, 12:27 PM)
Or fake replica rims?

Thats why I said, changed to lower quality RIM or fake RIM. Its dangerous isn't it?
Jonsnow68
post Jan 6 2019, 12:44 PM

Or fake replica rims?

His claims are real. Changed 2 sets of ori advanti rims there. Reasonable pricing too. From what I've seen at his store, his new rims are all originals, no replicas.

As to why people changed to lower quality replicas, must be for looks I assume. But then again, there are some good quality replicas nowadays, especially from Thailand.

Saw one company from Thailand (forgot its name) selling volk replicas. Looks very similar to ori, weighs 5.5kg for 15". But the price was reaching 900 for rims alone. Might as well top up a bit more and get ori advanti/lenso/konig/enkei tuning rims.

6UE5T
post Jan 6 2019, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

For show off only that's why! Maybe many of those people also do not realize that they're being conned to buy those crap fake rims.
lil_flank
post Jan 6 2019, 01:47 PM

Getting Started

For looks la.. U think they bother about safety?
xemoboyx
post Jan 6 2019, 02:50 PM

Getting Started

got buyer, got seller... simple
kelvin_87
post Jan 6 2019, 03:06 PM

Getting Started

user posted image

Alloy wheels always look GOOD compared to original wheels because of sportier outlook and probably lighter too.
Nevertheless, I still opt for original TRD wheels. by Enkai and just plastic DIP for different colour.

OEM Vs Replica Wheels: Myths and Facts
Many of Malaysian and other countries drivers like to upgrade their car’s OEM wheels to replica wheels to enhance their car’s outlook.

We may have seen a lot sellers selling low prices on replica wheels or replica rims everywhere. Most of replica wheels come from China, Taiwan, Thailand as well as our own local product, Malaysia. One may wonder what the different between these replica wheels and OEM wheels.

For those who not sure what is OEM, it’s mean Original Equipment Manufacturer, authorized companies that makes parts for the car manufacturer.

Often OEM wheels are much more expensive than replica wheels even though some replica wheels are much more stylish than OEM wheels.

Let see primary goals of OEM wheels:

Ability to properly support the weight of the vehicle and it’s passengers.
Durability from road salts, car wash acids, chemical and etc.
Durability in order to minimize warranty claims or recalls.
Proper fitments to ensure vehicles brake system as well as suspension operate as designed and without vibration.
Durability from road hazards such as potholes.
OEM wheels go through millions of kilometers of testing and millions dollars in research and development in order to ensure the wheels withstand the rigors of everyday driving.

Let see primary goals of replica wheels:

Ensure lowest manufacturing cost possible; which they will be using cheapest materials to forge the wheels)
Fit a wide variety of model vehicles (changing wheel widths and offsets)
They don’t go through proper research and development (R&D), simply to minimize the manufacturing cost from their side.

Myth #1: Replica wheels as strong as OEM wheels.
Fact #1: Replica wheels are weaker and more likely to get bend and cracked compared to OEM wheels. Replica wheels using cheap, more porous materials and cheaper manufacturing method called as graitiy casting. The molten aluminium is simply poured into a mold and allowed it to cool off. OEM wheels using different methods of manufacturing where after the molten aluminium is poured, there will be a pressure apply on the aluminium.

Result, OEM wheels have higher density of the materials base compared to the replica wheels.

Myth #2: Replica wheels will fit your car just as well as a factory wheels.
Fact #2: Replica wheels will cause a major vibration to the vehicle and also rub on the suspension or brake parts since no fitment testing was done on the particular vehicles.

Myth #3: Replica wheels have the same durable finish as a OEM wheels.
Fact #3: Replica wheels did not go through any test to withstand the road salts, chemicals and other element as OEM wheels do. Thus replica wheels’ finish wont last as OEM wheels do.

Now you know why replica wheels are much cheaper compared to OEM wheels 🙂

Source: OEM vs Alloy Wheels
pluginbaby
post Jan 6 2019, 04:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Same like calipers. Put on expensive calipers but didn't upgrade rotor or brakes. It is all for show
legendaryNOKIA
post Jan 6 2019, 04:40 PM

Mostly for look. But dangerous
digilife
post Jan 6 2019, 06:41 PM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.

because their ego is bigger than their car , die die also mau use replica rims that are low in quality compared to good ones which will cost abt 6 mths of their car repayment installments !!!
Fenix98
post Jan 6 2019, 07:14 PM

Mesti Gaya bro...

Stylo....

Jedi
post Jan 6 2019, 07:44 PM

Pax Et Bonum

QUOTE(Jonsnow68 @ Jan 6 2019, 12:44 PM)
His claims are real. Changed 2 sets of ori advanti rims there. Reasonable pricing too. From what I've seen at his store, his new rims are all originals, no replicas.

As to why people changed to lower quality replicas, must be for looks I assume. But then again, there are some good quality replicas nowadays, especially from Thailand.

Saw one company from Thailand (forgot its name) selling volk replicas. Looks very similar to ori, weighs 5.5kg for 15". But the price was reaching 900 for rims alone. Might as well top up a bit more and get ori advanti/lenso/konig/enkei tuning rims.
The only downside is they use yokohama tyres.
That's why I looking at places like hin leong. But hin leong duno authenticity also
6UE5T
post Jan 6 2019, 10:16 PM

Getting Started

Or fake replica rims?

You must know exactly the details of the original that you want so that can spot the fakes when buying. One of the easiest is also to detect the weight but this is only valid when buying those lightweight rims. For example those fake RE30/TE37/CE28/RPF1/CP035/Regamaster/SSR Type-C etc2, the fakes will never be as light as the original because the fakes uses normal casting manufacturing method while the original are either using forged process or semi forged or MAT which are much more expensive to make the rims strong yet much lighter than normal cast rims. That's why when buying those rims, bring your weighing scale! That's what I did when buying mine, apart from doing research to know how the original should look and how much they weigh. However if you just want to buy normal cast rims but original then cannot detect by the weight because the fakes will also be about similar, so in this case you can only detect by the minute details of appearance which can be more difficult.

Another method is try to avoid those very popular rims like some I mentioned above. They got so many fakes because they're very popular models. Fake producers surely want to capitalize only on the popular models so can easily sell. If you go for not so popular models then it reduces the chance of getting fakes. For example all of my rims are/were not so popular ones and actually quite rare: Prodrive GC07, Volk Racing F-Winning Zero, 5Zigen N1R Becketts, Yokohama AVS model 7. All of them are old rims some more but I still like them so when buying I'm not too worried about getting fakes.

Btw for Vossen, they only make size 19' above so ALL those that you see on the road which are smaller than 19' are 100% fakes.
Jedi
post Jan 6 2019, 10:52 PM

Pax Et Bonum

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jan 6 2019, 10:16 PM)
You must know exactly the details of the original that you want so that can spot the fakes when buying. One of the easiest is also to detect the weight but this is only valid when buying those lightweight rims. For example those fake RE30/TE37/CE28/RPF1/CP035/Regamaster/SSR Type-C etc2, the fakes will never be as light as the original because the fakes uses normal casting manufacturing method while the original are either using forged process or semi forged or MAT which are much more expensive to make the rims strong yet much lighter than normal cast rims. That's why when buying those rims, bring your weighing scale! That's what I did when buying mine, apart from doing research to know how the original should look and how much they weigh. However if you just want to buy normal cast rims but original then cannot detect by the weight because the fakes will also be about similar, so in this case you can only detect by the minute details of appearance which can be more difficult.

Another method is try to avoid those very popular rims like some I mentioned above. They got so many fakes because they're very popular models. Fake producers surely want to capitalize only on the popular models so can easily sell. If you go for not so popular models then it reduces the chance of getting fakes. For example all of my rims are/were not so popular ones and actually quite rare: Prodrive GC07, Volk Racing F-Winning Zero, 5Zigen N1R Becketts, Yokohama AVS model 7. All of them are old rims some more but I still like them so when buying I'm not too worried about getting fakes.

Btw for Vossen, they only make size 19' above so ALL those that you see on the road which are smaller than 19' are 100% fakes.
Very good advice. May I know which shops that you trust for original. To already know the model I seek I think I need a few days to look through the original rim catalogue and do some reading for sure.
System Error Message
post Jan 6 2019, 10:52 PM

Enthusiast

the reason is rip off, buyers dont know much about rim quality so they assume any rim will work and many dealers/garages will also rip off customers. Just read the low yat forum and you can see plenty of questions/complaints about customer paying too much or low amount and getting fake parts instead of genuine.

if you can do it yourself i suggest you order from manufacturer, you can order the parts direct but it requires finding and doing a bit of research and going to manufacturer website. Plenty of good quality rim manufacturers, some even in malaysia itself as they use them on many cars that are assembled in malaysia. Many people dont know how to research to find genuine parts and branded dealers will charge you far too much for the same thing with their name on it.

If you know a mechanic you trust, definitely do it through them, otherwise you have to research and find it yourself. If you get a fake one and it breaks, it can break something more expensive. malaysia is full of bad roads that its pretty much like rallying so fake ones can be devestating.
Fenix98
post Jan 6 2019, 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Jedi @ Jan 6 2019, 07:44 PM)
The only downside is they use yokohama tyres.
That's why I looking at places like hin leong. But hin leong duno authenticity also
Advan racing 18 got fakes ? 😂😂😂 will bring my scale saw a
set that caught my eye.... hahaha 🤣
Fenix98
post Jan 6 2019, 10:57 PM

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Jan 6 2019, 10:52 PM)
the reason is rip off, buyers dont know much about rim quality so they assume any rim will work and many dealers/garages will also rip off customers. Just read the low yat forum and you can see plenty of questions/complaints about customer paying too much or low amount and getting fake parts instead of genuine.

if you can do it yourself i suggest you order from manufacturer, you can order the parts direct but it requires finding and doing a bit of research and going to manufacturer website. Plenty of good quality rim manufacturers, some even in malaysia itself as they use them on many cars that are assembled in malaysia. Many people dont know how to research to find genuine parts and branded dealers will charge you far too much for the same thing with their name on it.

If you know a mechanic you trust, definitely do it through them, otherwise you have to research and find it yourself. If you get a fake one and it breaks, it can break something more expensive. malaysia is full of bad roads that its pretty much like rallying so fake ones can be devestating.
Should be la, will go see got myself.... inside stamped made in japan, New set 12k (ringgit) Singapore price 😋....

This post has been edited by Fenix98: Jan 6 2019, 11:41 PM
thefryingfox
post Jan 6 2019, 11:01 PM

Lonely Maharajah

I change my original rims to Taiwan rims....kept bengkok.....then I fed up change to original Oz superturismo GT...after 4 year..never bengkok once.

5k Vs 2k......but puas hati
Fenix98
post Jan 6 2019, 11:24 PM

QUOTE(thefryingfox @ Jan 6 2019, 11:01 PM)
I change my original rims to Taiwan rims....kept bengkok.....then I fed up change to original Oz superturismo GT...after 4 year..never bengkok once.
5k Vs 2k......but puas hati
Oz won’t bengkok will crack when reach limit,
Rays will bengkok at limit.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1029sec    4.59    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 11:20 AM