I'm collecting the Slate 15 from Level51 today

any comments about the Slate 15?
prasys
post Mar 11 2019, 01:29 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(N30rang3r @ Mar 11 2019, 01:07 PM)
I'm collecting the Slate 15 from Level51 today

Would love to hear your feedback bout it
ifourtos
post Mar 11 2019, 01:32 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

Failed on desktop currently

Def not better on lappt
N30rang3r
post Mar 11 2019, 01:52 PM

Casual
431 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 01:29 PM)
Would love to hear your feedback bout it
Here's my deal with it while I was at the shop

We ran multiple benchmark on the laptop which was pretty OK given they are just benchmark
i.e. 3D Mark etc

The problem really began when we ran the FFXV benchmarks both normal and ultra settings.

We start seeing micro-stuttering both minor and major effects especially when encountering fights and scenes that requires heavy rendering like summoning shiva.

Fraps was also turned on, I would see frequent dips in FPS while testing the FFXV benchmark. Then after the dip, the FPS would stabilize again.

I'm probably gonna test out games like Witcher 3 and others later once I get it

For now my first impressions:
Laptop is light for my taste cool2.gif
Microstuttering bangwall.gif
Heat sweat.gif
Cheapest RTX laptop in the market for now... icon_rolleyes.gif
prasys
post Mar 11 2019, 01:58 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(N30rang3r @ Mar 11 2019, 01:52 PM)
Here's my deal with it while I was at the shop

We ran multiple benchmark on the laptop which was pretty OK given they are just benchmark
i.e. 3D Mark etc

The problem really began when we ran the FFXV benchmarks both normal and ultra settings.

We start seeing micro-stuttering both minor and major effects especially when encountering fights and scenes that requires heavy rendering like summoning shiva.

Fraps was also turned on, I would see frequent dips in FPS while testing the FFXV benchmark. Then after the dip, the FPS would stabilize again.

I'm probably gonna test out games like Witcher 3 and others later once I get it

For now my first impressions:
Laptop is light for my taste  cool2.gif
Heat  sweat.gif
Cheapest RTX laptop in the market for now...  icon_rolleyes.gif
Okaylah , how light is it ? 2.2kg ?

Probably how cool the laptop gets...well when you buy cheap RTX laptops , there would be something that is a miss
N30rang3r
post Mar 11 2019, 02:04 PM

Casual
431 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 01:58 PM)
Okaylah , how light is it ? 2.2kg ?

Probably how cool the laptop gets...well when you buy cheap RTX laptops , there would be something that is a miss
yup, rclxms.gif
holding it with 2 hands - nothing much
lifting with 1 hand - easy peasy

yeah, it's a budget laptop
Heat management probably needs a bit of improvement for the laptop's heavy lifting
prasys
post Mar 11 2019, 02:27 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(N30rang3r @ Mar 11 2019, 02:04 PM)
yup,  rclxms.gif
holding it with 2 hands - nothing much
lifting with 1 hand - easy peasy

yeah, it's a budget laptop
Heat management probably needs a bit of improvement for the laptop's heavy lifting
Wwell for that price you wouldn't expect awesome build quality ....i paid RM 7k for Thinkpad X1 Extreme (1050 Ti) but then you are paying for the quality/material etc
N30rang3r
post Mar 11 2019, 02:57 PM

Casual
431 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 02:27 PM)
Wwell for that price you wouldn't expect awesome build quality ....i paid RM 7k for Thinkpad X1 Extreme (1050 Ti) but then you are paying for the quality/material etc
more like paying for branding

I did consider MSI GE RTX laptop but they were at 6.3k and I didn't need the OS at all cause I have my own

went through Illegear, lil bit more pricey

Lenovo is just flipping rippin off.....

fat cat
post Mar 11 2019, 03:22 PM

Casual
438 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 11:23 AM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWI8J5ijdo

Also these guys are here , official support (look in the specific notebook discussion sub-thread) , got a lot of people to purchase.

These guys are basically get barebone laptop manufacturers and then assemble it. So since you are going all gaming , why not ?
If you can afford pimp it to 16GB of RAM , to be honest , that laptop is on the higher end of gaming series , mech keyboard , good thermal paste , 144Hz display
hey prasys, most of that information is true besides the part about the keyboard..its not mechanical. its chiclet style keyboard. only raven, onyx/lite and selenite have mech keyboards.

that being said, its nothing against the laguna, the keyboard is still a good keyboard. only bad thing i would say is the trackpad, its not great but workable. definitely recommend to use your own mouse with it.

This post has been edited by fat cat: Mar 11 2019, 03:24 PM
prasys
post Mar 11 2019, 03:26 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(fat cat @ Mar 11 2019, 03:22 PM)
hey prasys, most of that information is true besides the part about the keyboard..its not mechanical. its chiclet style keyboard. only raven, onyx/lite and selenite have mech keyboards.

that being said, its nothing against the laguna, the keyboard is still a good keyboard. only bad thing i would say is the trackpad, its not great but workable. definitely recommend to use your own mouse with it.
For cheap/budget priced gmaing laptop you wouldn't get the best keyboard or the best trackpad. Generally Thinkpad have legendary keyboard......

But for gaming laptops , generally the trackpad suck , after all gamers would use mouse..who plays games with their trackpad
ZM Fong
post Mar 11 2019, 04:10 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(N30rang3r @ Mar 11 2019, 01:07 PM)
Clevo P960. Early reviews show good build quality and cooling (for a thin gaming laptop)
ZM Fong
post Mar 11 2019, 04:11 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(N30rang3r @ Mar 11 2019, 01:52 PM)
This is due to Clevo bad firmware+software
ZM Fong
post Mar 11 2019, 04:13 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 03:26 PM)
For cheap/budget priced gmaing laptop you wouldn't get the best keyboard or the best trackpad. Generally Thinkpad have legendary keyboard......

But for gaming laptops , generally the trackpad suck , after all gamers would use mouse..who plays games with their trackpad
Agree with the trackpad part but not the keyboard part. Some budget gaming laptops do have decent keyboards (Don't compare with Thinkpad of course. Moreover Thinkpad also got OKish keyboard - forgot which kb vendor and which model)
prasys
post Mar 11 2019, 09:24 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Mar 11 2019, 04:13 PM)
Agree with the trackpad part but not the keyboard part. Some budget gaming laptops do have decent keyboards (Don't compare with Thinkpad of course. Moreover Thinkpad also got OKish keyboard - forgot which kb vendor and which model)
Budget gaming laptops - you'll get something good and something bad....thats much like any other pros and cons

It's unfair to compare with Thinkpad level keyboard vs mech keyboard. however there are other good mech keyboards that it can be compared with also. My conclusion is well budget gaming laptop with good specs would have something else as their shortcoming

SUSxcves
post Mar 11 2019, 10:51 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(zoixc @ Mar 11 2019, 10:54 AM)
Is this a good deal for the specs ? There is a lot of promotion if i buy now[attachmentid=10200923]
this is exactly like what i told you.
QUOTE(xcves @ Mar 9 2019, 09:23 AM)
anyway, right now laguna 1070 can be gotten for RM5487 for 144hz + i7 + 1070 + 8gb ram + 240gb ssd + 1tb shdd.
+ free screen calibration and repaste with TG kryonaut..

QUOTE(zoixc @ Mar 11 2019, 11:49 AM)
I have ask around for they review on the brand and sustainability
Still going for the 8gb first, upgrade next few months don't have so much budget haha
save yourself the 300 ringgit and get windows 10 trial (free) instead, and go buy a key elsewhere online for 20~30 bucks or even lower i think.. idk.

total 5.4k like i mentioned earlier..

8gb ram enough. if not enough upgrade yourself in future. cheaper.

and review of the brand is quite good. their cs team helps a lot if you have issues with your laptop. can check out their lyn tered

This post has been edited by xcves: Mar 11 2019, 10:55 PM
SUSxcves
post Mar 11 2019, 10:58 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(prasys @ Mar 11 2019, 09:24 PM)
Budget gaming laptops - you'll get something good and something bad....thats much like any other pros and cons

It's unfair to compare with Thinkpad level keyboard vs mech keyboard. however there are other good mech keyboards that it can be compared with also. My conclusion is well budget gaming laptop with good specs would have something else as their shortcoming
an entry gaming laptop with decent keyboard is the y530.
but then when sold in malaysia the price is no longer budget friendly level..

too bad our currency is shit and lenovo keeps increasing the price.

previously you could get i5+ 1050ti + 8gb + 128 ssd + 1tb hd + 144hz panel for 3.8k with 15% student discount (circa oct/nov last year)
then slowly slowly increase to now the price is 4.2k for above specs. but it stabilised at 4.2k with 15% student discount for few months already.

either lenovo increased the price due to currency or because they know y530 got a good rep + pay for branding..

previously was an easy choice to recommend to people over other alternatives like illegear raven or commandos glock 5. because almost same price range 3.5k to 3.7k for the two as well.

but now its hard to recommend the 1050ti and below models, frankly speaking overpriced.

meanwhile the 1060 model was good value vs other brand 1060 models like raven 1060, onyx lite 1060, omen 15, etc etc.

but guess what. now they removed it from their online stores too. i was lucky i managed to snap mine up just 1 week before it got removed from the website..

This post has been edited by xcves: Mar 11 2019, 11:05 PM
ZM Fong
post Mar 12 2019, 01:04 AM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(xcves @ Mar 11 2019, 10:58 PM)
an entry gaming laptop with decent keyboard is the y530
as long as you didn't get a lemon keyboard like mine

Illegear Raven has TongFang in house mechancal switch
SUSxcves
post Mar 12 2019, 01:12 AM

43 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Mar 12 2019, 01:04 AM)
as long as you didn't get a lemon keyboard like mine

Illegear Raven has TongFang in house mechancal switch
Yep i saw your post on lenovo forums.

Seems your replacement keyboard was worse. And your original keyboard was alright just that the caps lock key was spoilt?

Have u tried claiming another time?
ZM Fong
post Mar 12 2019, 01:41 AM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(xcves @ Mar 12 2019, 01:12 AM)
Yep i saw your post on lenovo forums.

Seems your replacement keyboard was worse. And your original keyboard was alright just that the caps lock key was spoilt?

Have u tried claiming another time?
Problem is, there's no reason I can give to request a new keyboard since this replacement keyboard is fine (no faulty keys)...just the typing feel is bad compared to the previous one (which is excellent). Even worse than a Ideapad 320s 14 (Yes, I did compare with it. That keyboard in Ideapad 320s 14 is fantastic).

The original keyboard is fine, only the caps lock key is faulty (QC issue, actually still can press but one keycap leg is out of position). Last time I have faulty keyboard out of the box with my Y520 too. I don't want to blame Lenovo since I know any gaming laptop from any brand may have QC issue. Guess I'm just unlucky
N30rang3r
post Mar 12 2019, 08:55 AM

Casual
431 posts

Sorry guys for the late response

Thanks @ZM Fong for the reply

I will try and post some photos of the Slate-15 today or
as I call it Fingerprints Master 9000 sweat.gif

Went and install RE2: remake yesterday cool2.gif

Lugged it around in my backpack, quite weightless for a 2.2kg which is good thumbup.gif the reputation for it being a slim gaming laptop is noteworthy

Will have more to say today icon_rolleyes.gif

11 Pages « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:36 AM