Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wastegate VS Blowoff, whats the different??

views

TShattasan
post Jun 12 2007, 09:14 AM, updated 17y ago

32 posts

ok..im going to install a L2s turbo enjin to my kancil, so i need you guys opinion,
what is the different between wastegate (internal/external) and blow-off valve (BOV)

which one is better performance
from wat i read, blow-off using atmosphere air, while wastegate using the ezos air
both giving pressure to turbo...

can anybody help me with these??thank u
also the price different with BOV and wastegate

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

farique
post Jun 12 2007, 10:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

u already answered it by yourself la.. laugh.gif

in a simpler way, BOV is used to release unwanted compressed air when the throttle plate is closed (when you lift of the gas pedal).

Wastegate is used to maintain the amount of exhaust force needed to spin the turbine so that the boost is maintained. For example, you set the boost to 0.5bar. When the boost come in, the wastegate will release the excessive exhaust gas so that the boost stay at 0.5bar.

If no wastegate (if la..) the turbine will keep on spinning and the compressor will keep on sucking more air. This is dangerous as the engine may not be able to take up so much of air and the engine might blown into pieces.. sweat.gif
VT-Ten
post Jun 12 2007, 10:33 AM

On my way
520 posts

QUOTE(hattasan @ Jun 12 2007, 09:14 AM)
ok..im going to install a L2s turbo enjin to my kancil, so i need you guys opinion,
what is the different between wastegate (internal/external) and blow-off valve (BOV)

from wat i read, blow-off using atmosphere air, while wastegate using the ezos air

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

dude,
wastegate and blow off are 2 different objects that does different things. doh.gif

my suggestion..... transplant your car first, then slowly learn about turbo world before you started modding it. why transplant and not study first? coz you'll learn better when you have to deal with it. whistling.gif

TShattasan
post Jun 12 2007, 11:46 AM

32 posts

im not installing turbo yet, not buying yet
thats why i asking for the ppl that already use turbo..
coz im new in turbo world..and want to install all everything
then move for modification one by one

owh that mean BOV and wastegate have to installed together la??
owh i get it..
(coz from the statement i gave...dun understand much)

QUOTE(farique @ Jun 12 2007, 10:32 AM)
u already answered it by yourself la.. laugh.gif

in a simpler way, BOV is used to release unwanted compressed air when the throttle plate is closed (when you lift of the gas pedal).

Wastegate is used to maintain the amount of exhaust force needed to spin the turbine so that the boost is maintained. For example, you set the boost to 0.5bar. When the boost come in, the wastegate will release the excessive exhaust gas so that the boost stay at 0.5bar.

If no wastegate (if la..) the turbine will keep on spinning and the compressor will keep on sucking more air. This is dangerous as the engine may not be able to take up so much of air and the engine might blown into pieces.. sweat.gif
QUOTE(VT-Ten @ Jun 12 2007, 10:33 AM)
dude,
wastegate and blow off are 2 different objects that does different things.  doh.gif
my suggestion..... transplant your car first, then slowly learn about turbo world before you started modding it. why transplant and not study first? coz you'll learn better when you have to deal with it.  whistling.gif
Levin92
post Jun 12 2007, 01:19 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

stock L2 turbo come with internal wastegate and a stock blow-off valve too... if u remain it in stock standard then no need to change it... unless u set to high boost...
LanEvo7
post Jun 12 2007, 02:25 PM

Hmmm... what to put for title?
1,838 posts

haha I think I know where that piece of article came from lol .. remembered reading it b4

I would go with what VT-Ten said .. transplant first, then only see how.. unless u really know what u want and is sure of it.

I know, it's hard to resist getting a BOV tongue.gif most people love the BOV pssssh sound
BridgestoneRE711
post Jun 12 2007, 05:43 PM

♦ ♣ ♥ ♠
3,429 posts

wastegate is ur lung ,
BOV is ur mouth .
TShattasan
post Jun 12 2007, 08:44 PM

32 posts

farique
post Jun 12 2007, 08:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

QUOTE(BridgestoneRE711 @ Jun 12 2007, 05:43 PM)
wastegate is ur lung ,
BOV is ur mouth .
and how it works together? laugh.gif

actually, it should be:
BOV is our nose while the wastegate is our A$$ laugh.gif laugh.gif

But its a good thing that he asks first than straight transplant. Later kena con by mechanic, habis lor.. hahaha.. laugh.gif
spoon2272
post Jun 19 2007, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,079 posts

hey should i make the downpipe more 'sempit' to make better sound??
farique
post Jun 19 2007, 08:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

If my physics knowledge is correct, narrowing the pipe would make the sound more louder with high pitch/note. While widening the pipe would make the sound with low pitch/note i.e more growl.

Dont take my words for granted. I am not any engine tuner or have driven any turbocharged cars. Just my little knowledge that I want to share.. tongue.gif
5uperMan
post Jun 21 2007, 07:36 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

can i ask something?
i'm using an auto car.. if i put the blowoff will i get the same wooosh sound when i accelarate & when its changing gears? unsure.gif
TShattasan
post Jun 21 2007, 07:46 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(5uperMan @ Jun 21 2007, 07:36 AM)
can i ask something?
i'm using an auto car.. if i put the blowoff will i get the same wooosh sound when i accelarate & when its changing gears?  unsure.gif
hurm yer lorh...but this is from my xperience lor...
my fren using a automatic car..with turbo inside....but when change gear no woosh....but when he release the pedal the woosh sound appear la..

hurm thats from what i see lorh..but technically...dunno la
have to ask somebody else...

hehee biggrin.gif
farique
post Jun 21 2007, 08:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,147 posts

it should be because of the throttle plate is still open thus, no return pressure for the BOV to release. When the throttle plate is closed, there will be return pressure so that the BOV will be activated.

5uperMan, no need to use BOV la.. its too common already. tongue.gif
5uperMan
post Jun 22 2007, 08:04 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

but will the sound come out or not ?
if got sound then i wan to PASANG la.. if not then no point la..& i dun hav turbo..
LanEvo7
post Jun 22 2007, 10:19 AM

Hmmm... what to put for title?
1,838 posts

QUOTE(5uperMan @ Jun 22 2007, 08:04 AM)
but will the sound come out or not ?
if got sound then i wan to PASANG la.. if not then no point la..& i dun hav turbo..
then no matter u auto, manual, semi-auto, ferrari f1 gearbox pasang also no sound ler..
TShattasan
post Jun 23 2007, 12:29 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(LanEvo7 @ Jun 22 2007, 10:19 AM)
then no matter u auto, manual, semi-auto, ferrari f1 gearbox pasang also no sound ler..
ferrari erk??standart lorh
enjin pon kat blakang..ezos also at blakang..so how come nak dgr byk BOV sedangkan ezos lagi bising..
hehehehhe (since kije kat sebelah kedai ferrari ne everydah heard their lenjan that ferrari and lamboginies
national12345
post Jun 25 2007, 10:03 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

BOV/CBV: Use for intake side, when you accelerate to certain rpm, the turbo will start spin and compress air in to your engine, but once u release the padel, they are still a lot of compressed air inside your piping, if without BOV/CBV to blow it out, the air will direct impact back to the turbo fin!!!! Imagines, the air impact the fin opposition; does u think the fin can last longer? So actually BOV/CBV is use for protect the turbo. But now can use for scared Amoi beside the road also!!! keke

Wastegate: Use for exhaust side, when u accelerate to certain rpm, the exhaust gas will start blow the fin and get the other side of the compress fin spin, both 2 fin are spin on opposition; but u can't let the exhaust gas unlimited to blow at the fin right, so the Actuator will help to wind out the extra gas back to the exhaust.it have a larger vent and more stable than the actuator, it can be wind out the extra gas to the air or back to the exhaust. If u winds out to the air, u can scare the whole road of Amoi!!!! wakakakakakak!!!!

2 of them are different thing..
hope my info help...

This post has been edited by national12345: Jun 26 2007, 10:12 PM
VarioCam
post Jun 28 2007, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(hattasan @ Jun 12 2007, 09:14 AM)

fren.

unless you're gonna boost higher than stock, say up to more than 1.3bar, you'll be better off with the stock wastegate, which is already provided in the turbine.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0203sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:14 PM