Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Unbound running on freebsd, Unbound not responding.

views

TSwanttotree
post Dec 23 2018, 02:32 PM, updated 6y ago

On my way
650 posts

I want to setup unbound to do all authoritative, validating, recursive caching DNS without forwarding to any 3rd party dns server like google or cloudfare, but i have a problem to fix.

Installed unbound 1.8.3 on freebsd 12 and got it running and kinda working. Freebsd itself can request dns to resolve. Ping, update and upgrade can be made through unbound that i installed flawlessly.

The problem now is, it wont answer external request from my devices like my mac and my android phone.
Already done these;

Interface: 0.0.0.0

Access list: 127.0.0.0/8
Access list: 10.0.0.0/24 <--- my internal ip on the router.

Pointed root.hints and .key folder path correctly. They are all in the same folder where unbound.conf anyway. Which is in "/usr/local/etc/unbound/".

I made all the config using root username btw, thought that might be the problem, but my unbound can resolve internally perfectly. Anyone have any idea im missing?

Its driving me crazy because i have another setup that works. Which is the one im currently using on my debian server, installed through apt install instead. 100% working with the exact same setup as the one on freebsd. The only downside is its quite an old version which is 1.6.x.

Anyway, thanx for reading my long post. Hope u guys can help me out with this. Cheers.
TSwanttotree
post Dec 29 2018, 05:31 PM

On my way
650 posts

After a week of struggle, i finally found a solution. My unbound is now working flawlessly! Its a simple fault. Lol. Anyway, unbound is faster than any other 3rd party dns server out there like google or cloudfare. Thats because dns cache is cached locally in your home server, the best thing about it is the cache will never expire. So it will always pre-fetch dns cache before it expires. So your web browsing will be always snappy.
Ps: if ur having trouble with yours, let me know so i can explain the fault i had. Cheers.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0106sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:41 PM