Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple HomePod as a Homekit Hub

views

TSsoonwai
post Dec 21 2018, 01:54 AM, updated 4y ago

9,989 posts

Anyone using the HomePod as a Homekit hub?

Since it's not officially available in Malaysia, are there any limitations to the HomePod's functions due to region restrictions?

I'm currently using an iPad as a Homekit hub and planning to get the HomePod rather than an AppleTV as that would suit me better.

I have MY, US, JP, NZ iTunes accounts if that matters. Things are all over the place. Apple Music and older apps are US, newer apps are MY. A few purchases from JP.
Susuwatari
post Dec 23 2018, 03:17 PM

Regular
1,218 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Dec 21 2018, 01:54 AM)

Since it's not officially available in Malaysia, are there any limitations to the HomePod's functions due to region restrictions?

I'm currently using an iPad as a Homekit hub and planning to get the HomePod rather than an AppleTV as that would suit me better.

I have MY, US, JP, NZ iTunes accounts if that matters. Things are all over the place. Apple Music and older apps are US, newer apps are MY. A few purchases from JP.
Mine works well with Philips Hue and the like. For the regional restrictions, you can't get it to play news, which is currently US only, that's it. Should be fine if you are using US account.
TSsoonwai
post Jan 8 2019, 09:13 PM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(Susuwatari @ Dec 23 2018, 03:17 PM)
Mine works well with Philips Hue and the like. For the regional restrictions, you can't get it to play news, which is currently US only, that's it. Should be fine if you are using US account.
Thanks very much. Have ordered one. Hopefully all goes well.
Susuwatari
post Jan 9 2019, 10:57 AM

Regular
1,218 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 8 2019, 09:13 PM)
The sound is incomparable even to the more expensive Sonos. Siri accuracy is high most likely due to the 6 microphones around HomePod. It responses without having one to raise voice. In contrast I have to shout to my Google mini.
andrewtho
post Jan 13 2019, 09:31 PM

Hooded Knight
5,885 posts

QUOTE(Susuwatari @ Jan 9 2019, 10:57 AM)
The sound is incomparable even to the more expensive Sonos. Siri accuracy is high most likely due to the 6 microphones around HomePod. It responses without having one to raise voice. In contrast I have to shout to my Google mini.
Are you saying that the HomePod sounds better than Sonos range speakers? I've read reviews of the HomePods but I'm quite skeptical of Siri's capabilities compared to Google Assistant - thought I can get better integration due to all my devices being in the Apple Ecosystem.

But if the HomePod does sound better than the Sonos One, I might have to re-think laugh.gif
Susuwatari
post Jan 13 2019, 09:54 PM

Regular
1,218 posts

QUOTE(andrewtho @ Jan 13 2019, 09:31 PM)
Are you saying that the HomePod sounds better than Sonos range speakers? I've read reviews of the HomePods but I'm quite skeptical of Siri's capabilities compared to Google Assistant - thought I can get better integration due to all my devices being in the Apple Ecosystem.

But if the HomePod does sound better than the Sonos One, I might have to re-think  laugh.gif
Yes, to me it sounds better, but then, SQ is subjective, don’t take my word for it. Google assistant is only good when it can hear you.
andrewtho
post Jan 14 2019, 10:12 AM

Hooded Knight
5,885 posts

QUOTE(Susuwatari @ Jan 13 2019, 09:54 PM)
Yes, to me it sounds better, but then, SQ is subjective, don’t take my word for it. Google assistant is only good when it can hear you.
I see, dont worry always good to hear another opinion. Thanks alot
Hilarion
post Jan 15 2019, 07:16 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 8 2019, 09:13 PM)
Where did you order yours? Looking for one too
PHI_1.618
post Jan 16 2019, 08:36 AM

Ada Baca Buku
761 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Dec 21 2018, 01:54 AM)

Hi TS, just wondering. What type of HomeKit product you are able to get in MY beside light bulbs? I always wanted to Smart-up my home, but not sure what other product available here in MY... sweat.gif

TSsoonwai
post Jan 16 2019, 10:29 AM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(PHI_1.618 @ Jan 16 2019, 08:36 AM)
Hi TS, just wondering. What type of HomeKit product you are able to get in MY beside light bulbs? I always wanted to Smart-up my home, but not sure what other product available here in MY... sweat.gif
I’m using Aqara. It’s by Xiaomi. You may have heard of Xiaomi Mijia or Mi Home. That’s been around for a while and is quite affordable but did not work with HomeKit. Then sometime last year Xiaomi released the Aqara Hub, which looks almost identical to the Mijia Hub, along with updated accessories that work with HomeKit. So much cheaper than alternatives like Philips Hue. So far I have wall switches, door, vibration, water, temp, smoke sensors, E27 white bulbs and plugs.

Before that I used a brand called Koogeek which doesn’t require a hub. It connects via WiFi. However the product range is limited. For this brand I have the EU smart plug (no UK version), RGB E27 bulb and an RGB light strip.

While there are local sellers, I usually buy mine from China.

If you like tinkering, there’s also Smarthings hub which can be made to work with HomeKit. Just requires a bit more effort. I didn’t consider this so don’t much else about it.

This post has been edited by soonwai: Jan 16 2019, 10:32 AM
PHI_1.618
post Jan 16 2019, 03:26 PM

Ada Baca Buku
761 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 16 2019, 10:29 AM)
I’m using Aqara. It’s by Xiaomi. You may have heard of Xiaomi Mijia or Mi Home. That’s been around for a while and is quite affordable but did not work with HomeKit. Then sometime last year Xiaomi released the Aqara Hub, which looks almost identical to the Mijia Hub, along with updated accessories that work with HomeKit. So much cheaper than alternatives like Philips Hue. So far I have wall switches, door, vibration, water, temp, smoke sensors, E27 white bulbs and plugs.

Before that I used a brand called Koogeek which doesn’t require a hub. It connects via WiFi. However the product range is limited. For this brand I have the EU smart plug (no UK version), RGB E27 bulb and an RGB light strip.

While there are local sellers, I usually buy mine from China.

If you like tinkering, there’s also Smarthings hub which can be made to work with HomeKit. Just requires a bit more effort. I didn’t consider this so don’t much else about it.
wow...impressive.

Ya...i know about Mijia. I have 3 Mijia Dafang camera at home. But never know about this Aqara Hub... sound very interesting. Will check it out. Thanks brother. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by PHI_1.618: Jan 16 2019, 03:26 PM
TSsoonwai
post Jan 16 2019, 04:05 PM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(PHI_1.618 @ Jan 16 2019, 03:26 PM)
wow...impressive.

Ya...i know about Mijia. I have 3 Mijia Dafang camera at home. But never know about this Aqara Hub... sound very interesting. Will check it out. Thanks brother.  notworthy.gif
Quite cheap also, the Aqara Hub. Around RM180.

The good news is that Xiaomi is adding support for more and more non-Aqara or Mijia devices. For example the next firmware will add the Mi Honeywell Smoke Sensor. Actually they released and then pulled back that firmware last week. I already have the smoke sensor so just waiting for the proper firmware release.

Unfortunately I don’t think any of camera products work with HomeKit yet.
andrewtho
post Jan 16 2019, 09:56 PM

Hooded Knight
5,885 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 16 2019, 04:05 PM)

The good news is that Xiaomi is adding support for more and more non-Aqara or Mijia devices. For example the next firmware will add the Mi Honeywell Smoke Sensor. Actually they released and then pulled back that firmware last week. I already have the smoke sensor so just waiting for the proper firmware release.

Hi,

Do you face any issues with Airplay 2? Been reading on some lags between audio on Airplay when connected to Mac or iOS devices, have you faced any issues?

Was thinking of having the Homepod as my main room speaker, I can connect my Mac or switch between my iPhone and iPad in Netflix / video mode.
TSsoonwai
post Feb 19 2019, 12:17 PM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(andrewtho @ Jan 16 2019, 09:56 PM)
Hi,

Do you face any issues with Airplay 2? Been reading on some lags between audio on Airplay when connected to Mac or iOS devices, have you faced any issues?

Was thinking of having the Homepod as my main room speaker, I can connect my Mac or switch between my iPhone and iPad in Netflix / video mode.
I don't really use Airplay so can't help there. Maybe when I get my HomePod. At the moment still playing with the Homekit stuff. About half way thru. So far it looks like this.

user posted image

This post has been edited by soonwai: Feb 19 2019, 12:17 PM
xiubak cheng
post Mar 11 2019, 02:37 PM

13 posts

Apple HomePod vs. Google Home Max in perspective of sound quality and assistant functions
INGfusion
post Mar 22 2019, 06:17 PM

LOL
6,947 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 16 2019, 04:05 PM)

hi, you using mi home app to add aqara hub ?
TSsoonwai
post Mar 23 2019, 01:53 AM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(INGfusion @ Mar 22 2019, 06:17 PM)
hi, you using mi home app to add aqara hub ?
Yes, initially started using Aqara app. That time Mi Home no support for Homekit. Later switch to Mi Home and using that since. Mi Home has other benefits like being able to work with the rest of the Mijia ecosystem even though most of those products can't be added to Homekit.
INGfusion
post Mar 23 2019, 11:01 AM

LOL
6,947 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 23 2019, 01:53 AM)
Yes, initially started using Aqara app. That time Mi Home no support for Homekit. Later switch to Mi Home and using that since. Mi Home has other benefits like being able to work with the rest of the Mijia ecosystem even though most of those products can't be added to Homekit.
mi home support can bind aqara hub already , but will receive huge delay when you on/off by using apple home GG cry.gif
TSsoonwai
post Mar 23 2019, 11:44 AM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(INGfusion @ Mar 23 2019, 11:01 AM)
mi home support can bind aqara hub already , but will receive huge delay when you on/off by using apple home GG  cry.gif
Seems to be OK for me, very responsive. Aqara/Xiaomi Devices - Aqara Hub - Mi Home - Homekit. Using Siri on my phone to, say, turn on a wall switch (light). Estimate 250-500ms response. Same for motion sensors. I get a notification on my iPhone almost instantly. I did a video of the lights. Later will go count the exact response time.

Maybe too many devices on your Aqara hub? I only have 23 using the Aqara hub.
INGfusion
post Mar 23 2019, 08:44 PM

LOL
6,947 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 23 2019, 11:44 AM)
Seems to be OK for me, very responsive. Aqara/Xiaomi Devices - Aqara Hub - Mi Home - Homekit. Using Siri on my phone to, say, turn on a wall switch (light). Estimate 250-500ms response. Same for motion sensors. I get a notification on my iPhone almost instantly. I did a video of the lights. Later will go count the exact response time.

Maybe too many devices on your Aqara hub? I only have 23 using the Aqara hub.
im using 2 hub, each of them only have 10-12 devices , but mine got delay nvm maybe i try to bind again see how it goes

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0199sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:20 PM