9 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Unifi D-Link DIR-842 - Remove @unifi SSID

views

acbc
post May 25 2020, 12:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

Use own router. Not expensive these days. Used high end routers now less than the price of new low end routers.
JuneResources
post May 25 2020, 12:53 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ May 25 2020, 12:11 PM)
You cannot do the normal FW upgrade from inside the router page, you have to do the special FW upgrade by pressing the reset button, and entering factory FW upgrade mode
Ya.. I got try the step at First page there.

Power off and unplug the plug > Press the reset button > Keep continue press RESET button and turn on the router..

But my router power indicator keep blinking more than 1 hour still keep blinking..
Then I power off and turn on the router like normal, then everything OK. So it's seems like unable to reset factory by pressing the RESET button.
JuneResources
post May 25 2020, 12:57 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ May 25 2020, 12:15 PM)
Use own router. Not expensive these days. Used high end routers now less than the price of new low end routers.
Purchase new router still at least RM100 or above..
Unless RM50 I'm OK deal for it... Since it's family using, so no point use high end routers (Unless I play games that is another stories already). rolleyes.gif

I'm concern don't cari masalah for me especially WiFi suddenly no internet connections but LAN internet connections OK OR another round WiFi internet connections OK but LAN no internet connections.
stormer.lyn
post May 25 2020, 01:14 PM

Enthusiast
740 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ May 25 2020, 12:53 PM)
Ya.. I got try the step at First page there.

Power off and unplug the plug > Press the reset button > Keep continue press RESET button and turn on the router..

But my router power indicator keep blinking more than 1 hour still keep blinking..
Then I power off and turn on the router like normal, then everything OK. So it's seems like unable to reset factory by pressing the RESET button.
Your process correct, but not complete tongue.gif Before you start you download the FW to your computer. Unzip it. Set a static IP address for your PC. Enter the router into Factory FW mode. Upload the FW from your PC to the router. Then only when you restart the router will have the new FW. Once you have new non-@unifi FW, you can update FW like normal from the router page. Hope this helps
acbc
post May 25 2020, 01:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ May 25 2020, 12:57 PM)
Purchase new router still at least RM100 or above..
Unless RM50 I'm OK deal for it... Since it's family using, so no point use high end routers (Unless I play games that is another stories already). rolleyes.gif

I'm concern don't cari masalah for me especially WiFi suddenly no internet connections but LAN internet connections OK OR another round WiFi internet connections OK but LAN no internet connections.
Well, modding an existing router is risky is no backup. Kena before. Luckily managed to borrow a spare from a friend.
JuneResources
post May 25 2020, 08:06 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ May 25 2020, 01:14 PM)
Your process correct, but not complete  tongue.gif Before you start you download the FW to your computer. Unzip it. Set a static IP address for your PC. Enter the router into Factory FW mode. Upload the FW from your PC to the router. Then only when you restart the router will have the new FW. Once you have new non-@unifi FW, you can update FW like normal from the router page. Hope this helps
That one FW file of course got download to my PC before do the reset router.
Those set the IP address I have done already.

I'm not sure during I reset the router, don't know my step correct or not. This is because when I press RESET button on my router during the power off (and unplug), after that I plug in power supply with power ON the router, I still hold and press RESET button on my router.

Then I see the router power indicator blinking and I straight release RESET button. Don't know my step correct or not? rclxub.gif

And I also see from First Page saying that some of the router a bit "special". So even you already power ON the router, you still need to hold and press RESET button on my router continuously more than 10 sec (OR less than 10 sec)... And then bila I release the RESET button, then I'm a bit lost already..
stormer.lyn
post May 25 2020, 09:27 PM

Enthusiast
740 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ May 25 2020, 08:06 PM)
That one FW file of course got download to my PC before do the reset router.
Those set the IP address I have done already.

I'm not sure during I reset the router, don't know my step correct or not. This is because when I press RESET button on my router during the power off (and unplug), after that I plug in power supply with power ON the router, I still hold and press RESET button on my router.

Then I see the router power indicator blinking and I straight release RESET button. Don't know my step correct or not? rclxub.gif

And I also see from First Page saying that some of the router a bit "special". So even you already power ON the router, you still need to hold and press RESET button on my router continuously more than 10 sec (OR less than 10 sec)... And then bila I release the RESET button, then I'm a bit lost already..
Once the router is blinking, you go to PC and type 192.168.0.1 in browser, what do you see?
I also think your PC must be connected by cable, not wireless, because the router wireless never start up yet.

JuneResources
post May 25 2020, 11:31 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ May 25 2020, 09:27 PM)
Once the router is blinking, you go to PC and type 192.168.0.1 in browser, what do you see?
I also think your PC  must be connected by cable, not wireless, because the router wireless never start up yet.
Just like this below:-

This site can’t be reached 192.168.0.1 took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

And then my LAN appear "earth" icon with showing "Unidentified Network"..

JuneResources
post May 25 2020, 11:36 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ May 25 2020, 01:26 PM)
Well, modding an existing router is risky is no backup. Kena before. Luckily managed to borrow a spare from a friend.
I don't mind already as I got backup router also from TM, but more crapped brand Netis DL4480V1 since already get renew contract during YEP last year.
The Netis is more crapped router because the WiFi signal strength kinda week. but LAN extremely BEST compare from Dlink..

One more thing the Netis suffix @Unifi SSID cannot be remove, not like Dlink have shortcut use mobile version..
(Sorry, no ads post at my wifi SSID unless Unifi got pay to me for publishing marketing purposes.. whistling.gif )
moneyworks
post May 27 2020, 08:11 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(ldragon @ Dec 19 2018, 09:45 PM)
It is annoying that the Unifi supplied "D-Link DIR-842 Revision C" can't use our own SSID & stuck with xxxx@unifi

This guide is to remove that SSID restriction. ** USB Port are missing after the upgrade **
Disclaimer, do it on your own risk, your device's configuration will be lost after upgrade this firmware

Getting ready:
Download latest firmware from D-Link Malaysia (if failed this is the backup plan)
https://www.dlink.com.sg/dir-842/#firmware

Download latest firmware from D-Link.com
ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-842/REV...RE_v3.10B05.zip

Extract this file: DIR-842_REVC_FIRMWARE_v3.10B05.zip
Procedure for DIR series routers
1, Store a copy of the router firmware (.BIN) on the HDD of a local PC. Download the FW file ahead of time.
2, Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the LAN ports on the rear of the router and the network port on the local PC
3, Configure the PC with a static IP address other than 192.168.0.1 (e.g. 192.168.0.5)
[attachmentid=10148938]
4, Power down the router and unplug the power cord
5, Press and hold the reset button on the rear of the router for 3 to 5 seconds and re-plug the power cord without releasing the reset button
6, Continue to hold the reset button until the power light keeps blinking on and off. NOTE: For some DIR series, continue holding the reset button up to 10 seconds.
7, Open a web browser and enter the following address: http://192.168.0.1/
8, Wait for the D-Link Router Recovery Mode page to load (See below)

user posted image

9, Using the Choose File button, select the router firmware stored on the local PC (DIR842C1_FW302b03_middle.bin) and then press Upload
10, After the firmware successfully loads, a Success page will display
11, If the Success page fails to display, then repeat steps 3 through 9

After the flash completed, login to 192.168.0.1 (admin & no password)
Click management , upgrade, select file "DIR842C1_FW310b05.bin". Press Upload  sweat.gif
Good Luck  thumbup.gif

Latest firmware is available in this FTP server
ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-842/REVC/
Thank you very much. It works on my DIR-842 unifi routers. I follow exactly the same instruction and works without problem. I then upgrade to 13b05 fw downloaded from the same FTP server given and it works without problem too. Few things that I have tried (to be smart and ended up I am not that smart):
1. Flash the directly to 13b05 skip step 9-11. It doesn't work
2. Try to skip upgrade to 10b05 after step 11. It doesn't work too. Have to upgrade to 10b05 after that again upgrade to 13b05, then it will work

Hope my experience helps those who has an extra unifi DIR-842 but wanted to get rid of the "@unifi" SSID, just like me...

FYI, the Postman method to change the SSID posted by other doesn't work on DIR-842. Those shared on the forum don't work as it works on cgi script only. It might work with other way using postman method but I can't find any so flashing the firmware is the quickest and easiest way.

Thank you bo Dragon sharing this very useful and detail tutorial
JuneResources
post May 28 2020, 09:47 AM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(moneyworks @ May 27 2020, 08:11 PM)
Thank you very much. It works on my DIR-842 unifi routers. I follow exactly the same instruction and works without problem. I then upgrade to 13b05 fw downloaded from the same FTP server given and it works without problem too. Few things that I have tried (to be smart and ended up I am not that smart):
1. Flash the directly to 13b05 skip step 9-11. It doesn't work
2. Try to skip upgrade to 10b05 after step 11. It doesn't work too. Have to upgrade to 10b05 after that again upgrade to 13b05, then it will work

Hope my experience helps those who has an extra unifi DIR-842 but wanted to get rid of the "@unifi" SSID, just like me...

FYI, the Postman method to change the SSID posted by other doesn't work on DIR-842. Those shared on the forum don't work as it works on cgi script only. It might work with other way using postman method but I can't find any so flashing the firmware is the quickest and easiest way.

Thank you  bo Dragon sharing this very useful and detail tutorial
Wanna to ask you at Step 6 to Step 8.

Once you press and hold RESET button at the rear during power off and unplug, then you turn on and power on the router.
Is it you release press RESET button once the router POWER indicator blinking already?

And then how you can access the router recovery mode? Is it wait after POWER indicator stable already, then access the router recovery mode?

Thanks a lot.

Mushwashan
post Jun 29 2020, 11:12 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ May 28 2020, 09:47 AM)
Wanna to ask you at Step 6 to Step 8.

Once you press and hold RESET button at the rear during power off and unplug, then you turn on and power on the router.
Is it you release press RESET button once the router POWER indicator blinking already?

And then how you can access the router recovery mode? Is it wait after POWER indicator stable already, then access the router recovery mode?

Thanks a lot.
aku pon stuck kat sini tunggu sampai subuh gitu je harey...
JuneResources
post Jun 29 2020, 03:29 PM

ONE Stop Resources
4,128 posts

QUOTE(Mushwashan @ Jun 29 2020, 11:12 AM)
Sama saja..
At the end, aku cuma buat normal reset saja..

Ini Dlink unifi tak boleh pakai punya, unless betul betul selalu reset button sampai rosak saja.. laugh.gif
noname87
post Jul 14 2020, 10:14 AM

20 posts

Anyone know how to set up this router as a repeater or extender ?
D-Link DIR-842

Thanks.
hollyweed
post Sep 24 2020, 04:47 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

Where to get Firmware Version: 3.06TM?

I need it for backup before i flash to 3.13. Incase if fail, got backup..

Any sifu can help?
TSldragon
post Sep 24 2020, 08:25 PM

Enthusiast
981 posts

QUOTE(hollyweed @ Sep 24 2020, 04:47 PM)
Where to get Firmware Version: 3.06TM?

I need it for backup before i flash to 3.13. Incase if fail, got backup..

Any sifu can help?
We can't find the original TM firmware.
stormer.lyn
post Sep 25 2020, 11:05 PM

Enthusiast
740 posts

QUOTE(Mushwashan @ Jun 29 2020, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE(JuneResources @ Jun 29 2020, 03:29 PM)
Sama saja..
At the end, aku cuma buat normal reset saja..

Ini Dlink unifi tak boleh pakai punya, unless betul betul selalu reset button sampai rosak saja.. laugh.gif
Huh, strange. Since the last time I was here, I've again re-flashed the firmware of my DIR-842, this time with OpenWrt. Same procedure, no issues with the reset button, entering the recovery mode, or the flashing.

OpenWrt is a bit cryptic, plenty of reading to do to set up properly, but is rock solid, and I now have the use of the USB port. Don't know how come you all have so much trouble flashing the router.
laksamana
post Sep 26 2020, 07:46 PM

Regular
1,280 posts

After about 5 tries, managed to reset this dumb router properly and flashed to latest 3.13 firmware

Going to disable DHCP and give it a fixed IP

This silly router will act nicely as an Access Point for one of the bedrooms, connected with a wired backhaul to my main router
laksamana
post Sep 26 2020, 07:50 PM

Regular
1,280 posts

QUOTE(ldragon @ Sep 24 2020, 08:25 PM)
We can't find the original TM firmware.
Found this for TM configuration

https://www.dlink.com.sg/dir-842/#firmware

https://dlink.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/201...01b05beta01.zip

This post has been edited by laksamana: Sep 26 2020, 07:50 PM
TSldragon
post Sep 26 2020, 08:24 PM

Enthusiast
981 posts

QUOTE(laksamana @ Sep 26 2020, 07:50 PM)
Good find

9 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:33 AM