Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Sound card needed? for condenser mic

views

TSserenav92
post Dec 19 2018, 02:31 PM, updated 6y ago

9 posts

Hi guys newbie here,
I recently bought a condensor mic on Shopee and was wondering do i need a sound card as a power supply so it can work?
It doesnt seem to work as i have tried plugging in the jack into the pc mic hole.
Is there something wrong? And can you guys recommend me a cheap and good sound card. maybe a usb one?
kevinlim001
post Dec 19 2018, 02:37 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(serenav92 @ Dec 19 2018, 02:31 PM)
Hi guys newbie here,
I recently bought a condensor mic on Shopee and was wondering do i need a sound card as a power supply so it can work?
It doesnt seem to work as i have tried plugging in the jack into the pc mic hole.
Is there something wrong? And can you guys recommend me a cheap and good sound card. maybe a usb one?
which model you bought? any battery within it that need to be charged?

sound card as a power supply << what do you mean by this?

Sound card doesnt provide power but to give or receive audio signal only...

also try with other mic see if that work.. if not it might be pc setting

This post has been edited by kevinlim001: Dec 19 2018, 02:38 PM
TSserenav92
post Dec 19 2018, 05:38 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Dec 19 2018, 02:37 PM)
which model you bought? any battery within it that need to be charged?

sound card as a power supply << what do you mean by this?

Sound card doesnt provide power but to give or receive audio signal only...

also try with other mic see if that work.. if not it might be pc setting
I bought some china brand from shopee , its really cheap like rm30~~
i dont see any battery and i only see the 3.5mm jack on the btm.
i plug into the pc mic hole but nothing happens. is it necessary to have another third party item to give this mic power supply?
ClieOS
post Dec 19 2018, 10:09 PM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

Some condenser mic required 48V phantom power to work, and only soundcard (more likely an 'audio interface', a type of sound card meant to be used with musical instruments / recording purpose) that have this feature can use this kind of condenser mic.

This post has been edited by ClieOS: Dec 19 2018, 10:09 PM
ProfessorHi
post Dec 20 2018, 12:53 AM

Casual
338 posts

TS, you could have just posted a picture or the link of the product so people could at least be able to know what microphone you are talking about. As the previous reply said, some condenser microphones require 48V to operate.

In those cases, it's recommended to get a USB audio interface over a phantom power supply. Most likely, you'd also need to get a xlr to xlr cable but I can't say for sure because no idea what microphone you are using.
e_X
post Dec 20 2018, 12:57 AM

On my way
584 posts

QUOTE(serenav92 @ Dec 19 2018, 05:38 PM)
I bought some china brand from shopee , its really cheap like rm30~~
i dont see any battery and i only see the 3.5mm jack on the btm.
i plug into the pc mic hole but nothing happens. is it necessary to have another third party item to give this mic power supply?
Try on other device first, maybe faulty.
TSserenav92
post Dec 20 2018, 12:51 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(ProfessorHi @ Dec 20 2018, 12:53 AM)
TS, you could have just posted a picture or the link of the product so people could at least be able to know what microphone you are talking about. As the previous reply said, some condenser microphones require 48V to operate.

In those cases, it's recommended to get a USB audio interface over a phantom power supply. Most likely, you'd also need to get a xlr to xlr cable but I can't say for sure because no idea what microphone you are using.
user posted image

user posted image

here you guys go.. thanks for the help
ProfessorHi
post Dec 20 2018, 09:58 PM

Casual
338 posts

QUOTE(serenav92 @ Dec 20 2018, 12:51 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

here you guys go.. thanks for the help
Looks like a clone or a variant of the BM-700. This condenser microphone requires 48v phantom power to operate. You can get a phantom power supply but I highly do not recommend them. Instead, you should look at USB Audio Interfaces. The Behringer UMC22 is a great start, it's cheaper to directly get it from Amazon. If the shipping is expensive, consider using a proxy like buyandship. If the UMC22 is out of your budget then there's the Behringer UM2, it has a plastic build so I'd still recommend saving up to get the UMC22 as the build is full metal. Lastly, you'd need a 3pin male xlr to 3pin female xlr cable regardless whether you're getting a phantom power supply or USB Audio Interface.

Hope this helps and good luck.

This post has been edited by ProfessorHi: Dec 20 2018, 09:59 PM
power911
post Jan 4 2019, 10:52 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

curious how this tread didn't continue. Not sure if TS already figure out if his mic working or not.

If it is a BM800 clone, the mic should work fine with pc's own DC bias (aka 1-3v of consumer phantom power)

Idk yours came with a separate audio dongle or not. But I can say most desktop pc should be sufficient to drive the mic via 3.5mm jack's power supply.

Mine works just fine with onboard soundcard albeit buzzing due to poor construction.
Just twist it open to find out the cable came loose from cold solder joints.
Touch it back it works fine.

I was curious and plug this into a Soundcraft SI Expression 2 and it works with 48v phantom. Pretty good sounding mic considering how cheap it is. But it's hella sensitive and has crazy high outputs so it was a havoc when you tried to use it for live sound.

Fun mic I'd say for cheap.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:34 AM