Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How reliable is Subaru boxer engine, For 10 years usage and maintenance cost

views

Vervain
post Dec 10 2018, 01:14 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Dec 10 2018, 01:07 AM)
Can’t afford Porsche la. BMW at least do better than Myvi lor.
good luck in maintaining the car. if you mentioned mercs, that would be a different story.
System Error Message
post Dec 10 2018, 01:32 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Dec 10 2018, 01:14 AM)
good luck in maintaining the car. if you mentioned mercs, that would be a different story.
merc is far worse. They see owning their car as a privilage so their support and quality are actually bad. BMW is not as bad but still, if you're gonna pay a lot might as well get porshe but i'd be weary because they are owned by VW. Porshe uses a flat 6, subaru uses a flat 4. If you try to get too much out of a low compression engine (most petrols are low compression), you will blow a gasket, and that is why i mentioned to get the low-mid engine spec for subaru and not their top end.
Vervain
post Dec 10 2018, 09:55 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Dec 10 2018, 01:32 AM)
merc is far worse. They see owning their car as a privilage so their support and quality are actually bad. BMW is not as bad but still, if you're gonna pay a lot might as well get porshe but i'd be weary because they are owned by VW. Porshe uses a flat 6, subaru uses a flat 4. If you try to get too much out of a low compression engine (most petrols are low compression), you will blow a gasket, and that is why i mentioned to get the low-mid engine spec for subaru and not their top end.
If you own both Merc and BMW, you will know what I'm saying. You can ask workshops and ECU and wiring shop to give you their opinion.
Jason
post Dec 10 2018, 10:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Dec 10 2018, 01:14 AM)
Poor fag won't drive old BMW one. Will keep owe bank and trade-in for new BMW under warranty. Now 5 years warranty ma. icon_idea.gif
Quazacolt
post Dec 10 2018, 04:47 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Dec 8 2018, 11:08 AM)
Bullshit handling la

All in the mind only

All cars now have a generic feeling as manufacturing costs dictates how cars are built and designed. So what ever handling claims are just plain marketing wank

Simple example one car claim handling another car claim comfort. You go check the parts list  both cars use same exact absorbers springs bushings  etc. All from one giant parts maker denso or apm
Ok lol

The amount of stereotyping and generalization is just appalling notworthy.gif
rcracer
post Dec 10 2018, 05:43 PM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Dec 10 2018, 04:47 PM)
Ok lol

The amount of stereotyping and generalization is just appalling notworthy.gif
Lol , when you fix cars for a living you start getting smart

rcracer
post Dec 10 2018, 05:57 PM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(dopamine @ Dec 8 2018, 09:28 AM)
Hi guys, how reliable is Subaru boxer engine for 10 years usage and maintenance cost? Keen on Subaru xv and forester which are around same pricing. On other hand, I'm considering honda hrv & civic 1.8 as well.  Thanks.
One more I forgot to mention

Subaru is under going huge recall exercise for valve springs that snap and stall

http://fortune.com/2018/11/01/toyota-subaru-recall-airbag/
Vervain
post Dec 11 2018, 12:24 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Dec 10 2018, 10:25 AM)
Poor fag won't drive old BMW one. Will keep owe bank and trade-in for new BMW under warranty. Now 5 years warranty ma.  icon_idea.gif
quite true on the poor fag portion, I'm well aware of the 5 years warranty and 5 years free service offered by BMW (not sure it's still offered). This was damage control strategy to dampen and forging trust to old and potential customer.
System Error Message
post Dec 12 2018, 12:25 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

News usually dont portray accuracy or things. Airbags arent exactly a toyota/subaru problem as most parts are outsourced and how it portrays quality is usually inaccurate too. The 2 most important things when considering a car after fit for purpose are mechanical reliability, and customer service. If subaru recalls their cars that means they are fixing the problems they create, you will rarely if ever see an american company recall their cars unless they calculate that recalling is a cheaper option or the law requires them.

Subaru and porshe both use boxer engines, subaru uses 4 cylinder, porshe uses 6 cylinders. Both are 4WD, porshe prefers mid engine if possible (just dont pick the porshe SUV its a horrid choice for the price) while subaru prefers front engine (affects the weight distribution). So both brands have superb handling because of their engines and weight distributions, better than other cars but doesnt mean you can corner twice as fast, just maybe a little faster but definitely helps in poor conditions. height from the ground is important though for daily use as malaysian roads are poor and subaru is good for rallying, also my car of choice for rally simulators.

However unlike porshe subaru's automatics though not crap arent great either if you're looking for longetivity. They will achieve 100Mm but not much more so when buying subaru, pick the manual. So the myth of subaru's reliability and handling still hold true, but its the perception thats false. Good handling doesnt mean fast corners, it could mean good handling on poor surfaces, doesnt mean you should rush through a corner on snow though, just would do better on worse conditions. As for reliability just manuals and not the engines that subaru has tuned to get all the performance out from. I've seen subarus that sell really cheap though but like with any car brand, its the customer service thats important too, something the korean brands do well in thats why even though their cars can be said to be crap, its not a problem as they give a decent warranty and wont bone you if you try to claim your warranty or get something fixed. Subaru's good offroad handling and rallying pedigree makes the car suitable for malaysia's bad roads.

QUOTE(Vervain @ Dec 10 2018, 09:55 AM)
If you own both Merc and BMW, you will know what I'm saying. You can ask workshops and ECU and wiring shop to give you their opinion.
asking the workshops about their own branded car is basically the worse opinion to ask for. Brand loyalty and they wanna keep milking everyone they can. Also BMW and mercs make their engine blocks in china and export them. I remember a video showing their factory in china where chinese workers craft and inspect the blocks to be exported to factories that put their cars together. BMW and merc have been systematically designing cars to fail after a specific amount of time/use, a poor quality metal engine block is one way as it would fail after some time/use that they consider reasonable enough to pass the law and make you buy a new one rather than spend a lot of money to fix the problem, and with malaysia's economy this is a big problem as malaysians on average spend 7-10 years to pay off their cars and still keep using their older cars much older than 10 years old.
TSdopamine
post Dec 12 2018, 08:18 AM

Casual
442 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Dec 12 2018, 12:25 AM)
News usually dont portray accuracy or things. Airbags arent exactly a toyota/subaru problem as most parts are outsourced and how it portrays quality is usually inaccurate too. The 2 most important things when considering a car after fit for purpose are mechanical reliability, and  customer service. If subaru recalls their cars that means they are fixing the problems they create, you will rarely if ever see an american company recall their cars unless they calculate that recalling is a cheaper option or the law requires them.

Subaru and porshe both use boxer engines, subaru uses 4 cylinder, porshe uses 6 cylinders. Both are 4WD, porshe prefers mid engine if possible (just dont pick the porshe SUV its a horrid choice for the price) while subaru prefers front engine (affects the weight distribution). So both brands have superb handling because of their engines and weight distributions, better than other cars but doesnt mean you can corner twice as fast, just maybe a little faster but definitely helps in poor conditions. height from the ground is important though for daily use as malaysian roads are poor and subaru is good for rallying, also my car of choice for rally simulators.

However unlike porshe subaru's automatics though not crap arent great either if you're looking for longetivity. They will achieve 100Mm but not much more so when buying subaru, pick the manual. So the myth of subaru's reliability and handling still hold true, but its the perception thats false. Good handling doesnt mean fast corners, it could mean good handling on poor surfaces, doesnt mean you should rush through a corner on snow though, just would do better on worse conditions. As for reliability just manuals and not the engines that subaru has tuned to get all the performance out from. I've seen subarus  that sell really cheap though but like with any car brand, its the customer service thats important too, something the korean brands do well in thats why even though their cars can be said to be crap, its not a problem as they give a decent warranty and wont bone you if you try to claim your warranty or get something fixed. Subaru's good offroad handling and rallying pedigree makes the car suitable for malaysia's bad roads.
Thanks for sharing thumbsup.gif
Zot
post Dec 12 2018, 08:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(dopamine @ Dec 8 2018, 09:28 AM)
Hi guys, how reliable is Subaru boxer engine for 10 years usage and maintenance cost? Keen on Subaru xv and forester which are around same pricing. On other hand, I'm considering honda hrv & civic 1.8 as well.  Thanks.
Don't listen too much on /k who claimed to be expert here laugh.gif

I just Googled and found this:

Zot
post Dec 12 2018, 08:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Dec 10 2018, 05:57 PM)
One more I forgot to mention

Subaru is under going huge recall exercise for valve springs that snap and stall

http://fortune.com/2018/11/01/toyota-subaru-recall-airbag/
Can you name any manufacturer that does not has any recall? smile.gif
Zot
post Dec 12 2018, 08:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/how-reliable-are-subaru/
rcracer
post Dec 12 2018, 08:35 AM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 12 2018, 08:27 AM)
Can you name any manufacturer that does not has any recall?  smile.gif
You need thread the facts that Subaru DENIED AND RESISTED until too many cases no choice and steel scandal.
rcracer
post Dec 12 2018, 08:44 AM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 12 2018, 08:29 AM)
However, in 2016, Subaru dropped significantly in Consumer Reports table, dropping out of the top 10 completely. This is backed up by the fact that ReliabilityIndex place Subaru 18th out of 36 for dependability. They give them a reliability index of 108 which is good, but not great. The industry average is 118 and the lower the score the better.

Another reason why they might be considered less dependable here in the UK is because that when they do go wrong, they cost a lot to repair. We cannot ignore the high repair costs with Subaru, as this is something many consumers will want to take into account.

If you are looking for a reliable brand, and are deciding between Subaru, Honda or Mazda, then it will have to be Honda. Overall, they are more reliable than the two. Although Mazda are also a very dependable brand as well. Subaru don’t fare as well as their rivals, so if it’s reliability you want then you should look elsewhere.

Zot
post Dec 12 2018, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Dec 12 2018, 08:44 AM)
However, in 2016, Subaru dropped significantly in Consumer Reports table, dropping out of the top 10 completely. This is backed up by the fact that ReliabilityIndex place Subaru 18th out of 36 for dependability. They give them a reliability index of 108 which is good, but not great. The industry average is 118 and the lower the score the better.

Another reason why they might be considered less dependable here in the UK is because that when they do go wrong, they cost a lot to repair. We cannot ignore the high repair costs with Subaru, as this is something many consumers will want to take into account.

If you are looking for a reliable brand, and are deciding between Subaru, Honda or Mazda, then it will have to be Honda. Overall, they are more reliable than the two. Although Mazda are also a very dependable brand as well. Subaru don’t fare as well as their rivals, so if it’s reliability you want then you should look elsewhere.
Subaru is not widely used in the UK compares to the Northern region of the USA. So, high maintenance is predicted. There Subaru is popular because of its AWD system. The reliability was above average according to US database as I remembered before.

For me, all car manufacturers have up and down during course of time. Engine basically is same old technology (Boxer, V, straight 4, whatever), but adding tweak here and there give bad name to engine in general, even though the part is minor laugh.gif Honda, a couple of years ago has all kind of recall. Air bag recall is general since most manufacturers get supply from main big supplier.

A friend of mine using 10 year old Subaru in the USA has no problem. So, probably lucky smile.gif
rcracer
post Dec 12 2018, 09:48 AM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 12 2018, 09:23 AM)
Subaru is not widely used in the UK compares to the Northern region of the USA. So, high maintenance is predicted. There Subaru is popular because of its AWD system. The reliability was above average according to US database as I remembered before.

For me, all car manufacturers have up and down during course of time. Engine basically is same old technology (Boxer, V, straight 4, whatever), but adding tweak here and there give bad name to engine in general, even though the part is minor  laugh.gif  Honda, a couple of years ago has all kind of recall. Air bag recall is general since most manufacturers get supply from main big supplier.

A friend of mine using 10 year old Subaru in the USA has no problem. So, probably lucky  smile.gif
If Subaru is rare even in the UK then imagine here . Subaru has been making nothing but boxer, really nothing else , but the 2.5 was a disaster, the diesel also major disaster. Glancing at it , they have progressed as much as humans have gone to space, the moon was last major achievement and has stagnated until now. They can't make anything new.

Paring back to simple facts looking at mechanical only

Is the AWD an extra system unnecessary for office commute and back ? Yes it is and not maintenance free .

Is the boxer engine easy to work on? No, changing spark plugs is a few hours or more work. Almost anything is required major dismantling of the engine.

Does it cost more labour because of that? Yes

Are there many mechanics that can work properly on boxer engines? No

Are parts as widely available ? No

Is it extremely sensitive to having good coolant and good oil? Extremely.

If you then consider the rivals on a whole bigger picture, there are just much much much better driving riding maintaining cars to choose from instead of the XV

Those caught up in the hype of boxer and AWD have just been watching too much YouTube video, even those project starts with a engine transplant, rebuild of some sort.
Quazacolt
post Dec 12 2018, 11:23 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 12 2018, 08:26 AM)
Don't listen too much on /k who claimed to be expert here  laugh.gif

I just Googled and found this:
He got his points, however the highlights in my post replying pretty much sums it up lol.
System Error Message
post Dec 13 2018, 12:29 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Dec 12 2018, 11:23 PM)
He got his points, however the highlights in my post replying pretty much sums it up lol.
Not sure what you summed up but i will help you in this regard.
Customer service - unknown, but recently subaru doing a lot of ads.
Reliability - engine good except top tier because of physical limits. Boxer engines have less mechanical parts (less complex) than your standard straight/V piston engine in getting them to run well and dealing with vibrations.
- gear box manuals are very reliable but automatics though they do last past 100Mm could easily go after that, they arent the best automatics but not the worst either
- one of the last few surviving full time 4WD vehicles, their 4WD system is decent, definitely better than AWD and better than Mitsubishi's jeep.

Maintenance - high. Its a 4WD system so it has more complexity entirely. Still if you hate bumpy roads and have to drive through bad conditions often, or if the vehicles are fit for your purpose, then be prepared for the higher maintenance cost. Its not that much that much more than normal 2WD cars but tyre replacements require all 4 to be replaced when there is a need, it has more components after the gear because of its 4WD system.
gadgets and internal - NA, never been in a recent one, only one i've seen is a wagon variant going for rm20+K, probably a demo model with decent interior (leather or fake leather) but i never looked at the gadgets.

While maintenance cost is higher than normal cars, iv'e seen subaru's price to be lower in comparison to other brands, so initial price could be low and if it fits what you need and want, it is a decent choice as subaru does not make cars that systematically fail. The higher maintenance cost could mean lower resale value though but i suspect that if you're asking about unbeatable japanese reliability, you're expecting it to last 20 years, in which case, manuals and for the engine avoid the top spec of each type (top spec turbo, top spec non turbo) and you will be fine.

Many japanese car brands will last forever as long as you do not skimp on the defined preventative maintenance of changing the filters and oils religiously and not doing things like not changing all 4 tyres when a single tyre needs to be changed. Avoid doing things that will add wear and tear to its 4WD system like drifting (driftiing done in race/sports is different as they dont expect the car to last for more than the event).

BMW's nice interior has already been copied all over. If you want a BMW, do yourself a favour and get a mazda, though mazda used to be more enthusiastic with their engines, they offer the same interior, power and such as BMW but at half the price and without the planned failures. Getting BMW with malaysia's economy is definitely a bad decision, even a merc, rather with the spare change from picking a cheaper better car you can reinvest it into malaysia itself. With subaru's being lower priced they are a choice economically too. Honda continues to excel itself irregardless of laws and demands, toyota though going into planned failures too also offer decent prices. Do yourself a favour other than economy by only having to pay 3-5 years or less for your new car too. we do get some german car elitist on the forum who insist on getting german cars if you want a good car. I see a lot of X1's with failed powertrains often where the car goes into limp mode and this is in germany itself. Car enthusiasts has always been into japanese cars trendwise globally for many years except US.

If you drive on bad roads often and dont need the 4WD truck, subaru is a much better choice and being more aerodynamic better fuel economy than a 4WD TDI truck with better handling too while being cheaper than one, or if you just enjoy driving in general definitely consider subaru. I can only hope it has good customer support in malaysia which if it doesnt would make it a brand to avoid, but active recalls and if you have good experiences with warranty claims and their dealer service, that would mean they are actively going for good customer support. Note that kia is known to have one of the worst engines but people still buy them because they offer a decent car cheap with good customer support, kia is definitely far worse than subaru mechanically.

Note: AWD = any wheel drive, not all wheel drive. 4WD means 4 wheel drive. AWD can be 2wheel drive or 4wheel drive any time you want, 4WD is always 4 wheel drive, never changing to 2.
quicksilver9832
post Dec 13 2018, 12:43 AM

Enthusiast
770 posts

very good inputs from above...

just to add on, the current Subaru specialist in Klang valley is pitiful, there are many half baked mechanics who dont know what they are doing. I personally have experienced a costly episode. But again, the fault isnt with the car itself but more so with the knowledge of maintaining a subaru. When it is being worked by a specialist, the outcome is desirable so much more even better than an evo smile.gif

i have owned an evo before and trust me, the current setup both interior and exterior of a sti is truly a good experience.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:23 AM