Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Weight gain from excess carbs vs fats vs protein, Is there a difference?

views

TSjoannenicole89
post Dec 7 2018, 09:16 PM, updated 6y ago

34 posts

Hi,

This is my first ever post so I apologise if I say anything wrong, but I was wondering what is the difference if you gain weight based on eating mainly carbs, compared to eating mainly fat or mainly protein.

What I mean is that, for example:

- If I mainly eat carbs, will that contribute to belly fat, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, fatty liver etc

- If I mainly eat fats, can that clog arteries and increase cholesterol?

- If I mainly eat protein, could that cause kidney and liver problems from too much of protein?

- If I eat mainly one of those three above, will I look worse? (Sorry I know that's a dumb and vain question, but what I'm trying to say is will one macro make me gain weight in an 'ugly' fashion??)

And before anyone goes answers why don't I just eat more of each macro, I am not saying that only one macro will be eaten. I just mean if one was eaten more than the others.

Also, please don't give tips on how to avoid gaining overall body fat. For someone who is medically underweight, fat is necessary and some people truly need to increase body fat in order to be healthy, not just muscle. I was hoping there was a way to gain weight healthfully with minimal bloating and digestive discomfort. Hopefully, this is possible.

In the past, I have gained weight on lots of processed foods like chocolate bars and "keropok" but that made my face and tummy balloon up. Now currently I'm trying to eat more calorie dense foods as I tend to get full very quickly. I'm eating a lot of nuts because I genuinely love them, but they are very difficult for me to digest and it hurts my gut and gives me diarrhea/constipation. I also like avocado, but it is too expensive to eat regularly. I've tried adding oil to my foods but that makes me slightly "jelak", plus gives me diarrhea. I'm lactose intolerant so I cannot take much milk, so I just take full fat yogurt. But that too causes a lot of bloating and pain. Lactose-free milk is hard to find, and also quite expensive. I also love salmon, but AGAIN - expensive!

I don't want to gain weight just eating a bucketful of fried foods not just because of the health, but because my body feels lousy afterwards.

Anyone got any tips on what I can do? That's the reason why I asked the question, because if I knew which macro to focus on, I don't have to keep looking for so many types of food. I can just add more of one kind and not have to bother thinking about it anymore.

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks so much guys!

babychai
post Dec 8 2018, 03:49 PM

I go to work because my name is not in Forbes list
779 posts

There are 3 types of body i.e. Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph. Different body type require different macro plan.

Once you know your body type and your goal then you should know which macro to focus on.
TSjoannenicole89
post Dec 9 2018, 09:52 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(babychai @ Dec 8 2018, 03:49 PM)
There are 3 types of body i.e. Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph. Different body type require different macro plan.

Once you know your body type and your goal then you should know which macro to focus on.
Thanks for your reply.

I've gone to several websites online to figure out my body type. Tbh I'm still not sure. Before I got ill I was chubby and shapeless (maybe mesomorph??), then now when I got underweight everything shrunk so I'm thin and still shapeless. Now my shoulders look much larger than my hips. I've gained a bit of weight and none has gone to my hips. My hip bones are still visible, which looks odd because every other part of my body has enlarged slightly.

And all the websites I went to kept telling me how to eat before working out in order to gain muscle. I'm just looking to gain weight normally, not pump iron. The doctors tell me I need to gain fat, and that muscles will develop naturally.

I still don't know what macro or what foods to focus on. I just want to regain some weight so I can be healthier. And hopefully I won't become to bloated and swollen in the process. I don't want to keep going back to my doctor just to ask questions and be charged so much money.
babychai
post Dec 10 2018, 03:19 AM

I go to work because my name is not in Forbes list
779 posts

QUOTE(joannenicole89 @ Dec 9 2018, 09:52 PM)
Thanks for your reply.

I've gone to several websites online to figure out my body type. Tbh I'm still not sure. Before I got ill I was chubby and shapeless (maybe mesomorph??), then now when I got underweight everything shrunk so I'm thin and still shapeless. Now my shoulders look much larger than my hips. I've gained a bit of weight and none has gone to my hips. My hip bones are still visible, which looks odd because every other part of my body has enlarged slightly.

And all the websites I went to kept telling me how to eat before working out in order to gain muscle. I'm just looking to gain weight normally, not pump iron. The doctors tell me I need to gain fat, and that muscles will develop naturally.

I still don't know what macro or what foods to focus on. I just want to regain some weight so I can be healthier. And hopefully I won't become to bloated and swollen in the process. I don't want to keep going back to my doctor just to ask questions and be charged so much money.
Ectomorph - hard gainer. very very very hard to gain weight. normally skinny or skinny fat type.
Endomorph - very very very easy to gain weight & hard to lose weight. some people claim even drink water also can gain weight LoL
Mesomorph - in between ectomorph and endomorph. easy to gain weight but also easy to lose weight without much effort.

since you are underweight now. those body type you can ignore it first. in order to gain weight you need to achieve Calories Surplus. to achieve it, first you need to know how many of your Calories burn in 1 day. you can use calculator here https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

once you know how many calories burn in 1 day then increase your calories intake gradually up to 500 calories in 1 day or more if necessary. you don't need to focus on which macro to eat more as long as you are in Calories Surplus. Some hard gainer people will buy Mass Gainer supplement to drink to add more calories.

for bloating/swollen part you just need to drink MOREEEEEEEE water, eat slowly and drink Apple Cider Vinegar to help reduce bloating tummy.

This post has been edited by babychai: Dec 10 2018, 03:20 AM
TSjoannenicole89
post Dec 11 2018, 07:04 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(babychai @ Dec 10 2018, 03:19 AM)
Ectomorph - hard gainer. very very very hard to gain weight. normally skinny or skinny fat type.
Endomorph - very very very easy to gain weight & hard to lose weight. some people claim even drink water also can gain weight LoL
Mesomorph - in between ectomorph and endomorph. easy to gain weight but also easy to lose weight without much effort.

since you are underweight now. those body type you can ignore it first. in order to gain weight you need to achieve Calories Surplus. to achieve it, first you need to know how many of your Calories burn in 1 day. you can use calculator here https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

once you know how many calories burn in 1 day then increase your calories intake gradually up to 500 calories in 1 day or more if necessary. you don't need to focus on which macro to eat more as long as you are in Calories Surplus. Some hard gainer people will buy Mass Gainer supplement to drink to add more calories.

for bloating/swollen part you just need to drink MOREEEEEEEE water, eat slowly and drink Apple Cider Vinegar to help reduce bloating tummy.
I think I was definitely more towards mesomorph before I got sick. I have calculated my calorie allowance, but my original question was for what is the difference from eating different macros? Because when I was younger (before my illness), I used to eat plenty or carbs and sugar and at one point, I gained a lot of weight but mostly on my face and tummy. I didn't feel very good also, because the carbs just gave me a sudden surge of energy (like I was having palpitations) then suddenly I felt sluggish and sleepy. I know it's the classic sugar high and drop, so this time round I want to avoid the discomfort that comes with gaining weight.

Many people just tell me to "Eat lah!" like it is so simple. It may be easy for most people but for me, when I eat things like char kuay tiaow and burgers and fried chicken, they sits in my stomach and after a while I feel a bit nauseous and sick. Next day, confirm bloated. So I want to know if anyone has ever gained weight on e.g. mainly fats or proteins or even if it's carbs, what was it like. Because it's tough to eat more when you're full and nauseous and everything doesn't taste good.

Now I'm drinking water but it makes me even MORE bloated, plus it makes me full so for the rest of the day I struggle to put in anymore food. I cannot drink ACV with water as it irritates my throat and teeth, and also gives me bad acid reflux and heartburn.

Today when I got dressed, I think I've lost a bit of weight because my bones a bit more prominent and my clothes are looser. So I REALLY need to do quickly figure out what to do!
calapia
post Dec 14 2018, 02:55 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(joannenicole89 @ Dec 11 2018, 07:04 PM)
I think I was definitely more towards mesomorph before I got sick. I have calculated my calorie allowance, but my original question was for what is the difference from eating different macros? Because when I was younger (before my illness), I used to eat plenty or carbs and sugar and at one point, I gained a lot of weight but mostly on my face and tummy. I didn't feel very good also, because the carbs just gave me a sudden surge of energy (like I was having palpitations) then suddenly I felt sluggish and sleepy. I know it's the classic sugar high and drop, so this time round I want to avoid the discomfort that comes with gaining weight.

Many people just tell me to "Eat lah!" like it is so simple. It may be easy for most people but for me, when I eat things like char kuay tiaow and burgers and fried chicken, they sits in my stomach and after a while I feel a bit nauseous and sick. Next day, confirm bloated. So I want to know if anyone has ever gained weight on e.g. mainly fats or proteins or even if it's carbs, what was it like. Because it's tough to eat more when you're full and nauseous and everything doesn't taste good.

Now I'm drinking water but it makes me even MORE bloated, plus it makes me full so for the rest of the day I struggle to put in anymore food. I cannot drink ACV with water as it irritates my throat and teeth, and also gives me bad acid reflux and heartburn.

Today when I got dressed, I think I've lost a bit of weight because my bones a bit more prominent and my clothes are looser. So I REALLY need to do quickly figure out what to do!
macros or not, in the end its always the calorie in vs out. its good u know your macros but for your case, don't think macros matter much unless you after certain diet e.g keto. for hard gainer, u have to eat extra 5% of you standard calorie for test. if 5% not enuv, then add another 5%... and couple with exercise if possible to gain muscle. to lose weight, needless to say, exercise increase ur calorie need. so if you in calorie deficit then u ll lose weight. its always eating healthy that matters when you count those calorie. biscuits and snack give high calorie but low nutrition factor means empty calorie.

for ur case, i would suggest just track your calorie if you are not in sports. for food, try eat low GI carb to give slow energy release and avoid having big meal with lots of carb (sugar rush) as you ll feel sluggish afterwards. perhaps more small meal than big meal. what u eat is what you get.

above is what i hv tested and it worked for me.
CuriousDude
post Dec 15 2018, 10:52 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(calapia @ Dec 14 2018, 02:55 PM)
macros or not, in the end its always the calorie in vs out. its good u know your macros but for your case, don't think macros matter much unless you after certain diet e.g keto. for hard gainer, u have to eat extra 5% of you standard calorie for test. if 5% not enuv, then add another 5%... and couple with exercise if possible to gain muscle. to lose weight, needless to say, exercise increase ur calorie need. so if you in calorie deficit then u ll lose weight. its always eating healthy that matters when you count those calorie. biscuits and snack give high calorie but low nutrition factor means empty calorie.

for ur case, i would suggest just track your calorie if you are not in sports. for food, try eat low GI carb to give slow energy release and avoid having big meal with lots of carb (sugar rush) as you ll feel sluggish afterwards. perhaps more small meal than big meal. what u eat is what you get.

above is what i hv tested and it worked for me.
Bro, what are some of the food with low GI carb and your usual go to food for nutrition and calorie.
calapia
post Dec 17 2018, 04:00 PM

On my way
683 posts

QUOTE(CuriousDude @ Dec 15 2018, 10:52 AM)
Bro, what are some of the food with low GI carb and your usual go to food for nutrition and calorie.
yo bro you can google out low GI carb.... oat is one of it... brown rice etc... use app to track calorie...once u used to it, then can ditch the app....
helven
post Jan 7 2019, 06:11 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

user posted image

Should probably check your current body fat first before thinking to increase muscle or fat in your body.

If you need to increase body fat, just eat at caloric surplus, healthy food (lean meat, healthy fats, veges, low GI carbs), it will gain naturally.
For every excessive calorie you eat and not spent, it will be stored as fat.

Your effort should be on what food to pick rather than what macro eat. You can get macro by just using calculator as a reference point https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
Then slowly adjust bit by bit and see how your body react if you want to min-maxing stuffs

Study on every single the food you put in your mouth.
For example, wantan noodle vs rice vs sweet potato, both are carbs, but they have different vitamins and GI level, different process method.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 AM