Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plan to change stock 16inch into 17inch, Good idea or not?

16 inch or 17 inch?

i) Stick With 16inch - 215/60R16 [ 6 ] ** [54.55%]
ii) Change into 17inch - 225/50R17 [ 5 ] ** [45.45%]
Total Votes: 11

views

TSDM52
post Dec 7 2018, 06:31 PM, updated a long time ago

Casual
368 posts

Hello, plan to change my 7 years 2.0 accord oem sport rims to 2.4 accord oem sport rims. Just curious on this 2 factor

1) Comfort Level- As u can see, I change from 60 series profile to 50 series profile, does the differences in comfort is very very noticeable or not?. Does my ride become super harsh or bumpy after this?.

As I feel, my ride now is plush, but I ok to sacrifice a bit comfort, but if 60 to 50 super duper differences, then I may need to rethink back my decision to up size.

Why 50 series?. Because that is oem for 17inch rims. And I prefer to follow oem size. But comment is always welcome on other tyre size.

2) Fuel Consumption- Now mixed cycle, I got 750km from 62litre of fuel which translate to 12km/l. After this, with wide profile and bigger rims, does it drop kaw2. I scared it drop below 10km/l.

Hope anyone who upsize can comment, whether u regret or feel happy about upsizing. Especially this 2 parts. Really interested to know.

jayjaynyc
post Dec 7 2018, 06:47 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

have you checked out the difference in tyre prices for both sizes? That will usually be the factor that will determine to upsize or not.

I'm using 215/55/17 for my old Camry, much more stable at high speeds and cornering than when it was on 205/65/16 wheels cos of the stiffer sidewalls. Using Michelin PS3 ST. Will try the PS4 ST during my next tire change.

Fuel consumption, i feel that it's the same. But most of the time also sitting in jam anyway.
dirtrun
post Dec 8 2018, 09:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

Upsizing wif lower profile has its pros n cons.. Pros being nicer looking , better handling ..
Cons being costlier , firmer n less comfort, lower F.C. becos of xtra rolling resistance( u get better grip )

If u can live wif d cons then by all means do it ..
I personally find it worth it😂
6UE5T
post Dec 8 2018, 07:26 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(DM52 @ Dec 7 2018, 06:31 PM)
Hello, plan to change my 7 years 2.0 accord oem sport rims to 2.4 accord oem sport rims. Just curious on this 2 factor

1) Comfort Level- As u can see, I change from 60 series profile to 50 series profile, does the differences in comfort is very very noticeable or not?. Does my ride become super harsh or bumpy after this?. 
Yes there's a noticeable drop in comfort but no it won't be harsh coz the sidewall height is still pretty tall at 11.2 cm. For me personally, the best balance between comfort, handling, and look is anything around 10-11cm sidewall height. If drop below 10cm then it will start to be harsh IMHO.

As I feel, my ride now is plush, but I ok to sacrifice a bit comfort, but if 60 to 50 super duper differences, then I may need to rethink back my decision to up size.

Why 50 series?. Because that is oem for 17inch rims. And I prefer to follow oem size. But comment is always welcome on other tyre size.
2) Fuel Consumption- Now mixed cycle, I got 750km from 62litre of fuel which translate to 12km/l. After this, with wide profile and bigger rims, does it drop kaw2. I scared it drop below 10km/l.
Depends on the weight of your overall tires and rims combo. If you just use normal weight rims or the stock Accord rims but 17 then expect to add extra weight of 1-1.5kg/corner so there will be some noticeable drop in fuel consumption and acceleration. I suggest you buy lightweight 17' so it can actually be lighter than your stock 16' hence you can actually improve fuel consumption and acceleration or at least maintain the same. A good lightweight 17' should be no more than 8kg/pc which is about 2+kg lighter than normal rims. Btw I have a set of light Lenso 17x8 +38 rims, perfect size for Accord. Let me know if interested coz I want to clear off my store room so selling it cheap. ☺️

Hope anyone who upsize can comment, whether u regret or feel happy about upsizing. Especially this 2 parts. Really interested to know.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0439sec    0.25    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:38 PM