Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Finance Major? To Become CFA?, Want to know the study route

DamianOoi89
post Dec 7 2018, 12:50 AM, updated 4 months ago

Group: Junior Member

Basically i have worked in insurance for 8-9 years already and my highest education level is CPU (Canadian Pre-University) which is high school diploma in Canada. Right now i am keen to continue my studies especially finance and i have no idea which path to take. do i have to enrol 3-4 year finance degree in uni or straight go for CFA since i have been working in insurance line for sometime already
Holocene
post Dec 11 2018, 10:03 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(DamianOoi89 @ Dec 7 2018, 12:50 AM)
Basically i have worked in insurance for 8-9 years already and my highest education level is CPU (Canadian Pre-University) which is high school diploma in Canada. Right now i am keen to continue my studies especially finance and i have no idea which path to take. do i have to enrol 3-4 year finance degree in uni or straight go for CFA since i have been working in insurance line for sometime already
So here's the thing about CFA, the program covers a broad range of topics relating to investment management, financial analysis, quantitative analysis, equities, fixed income and derivatives, and provides a generalist knowledge of other areas of finance.

Depending on what you want your career path to lead to you might not need a CFA. You can consider a CFP instead if you're looking to move towards an in-depth look of Personal Finance.

You should also check out the requirements to register for a CFA program: https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfa/r...nt-requirements

Best,
Jiansheng
Manada
post Dec 13 2018, 08:56 PM

Apa lan

Do you want to switch from insurance to pure finance like Corporate Finance and Investment Banking? Insurance also got their investment division.

By all means, getting a CFA is good as it makes you a valuable asset in any finance line. Do you have to take it? Of course not.

But the upside is lucrative once youre a charterholder. Just be prepared to have sacrifice 2-3 years worth of social and entertainment to pass all 3 levels. Many gave up at level 1, and the toll keeps rising at subsequent level.

So the question is not whether you want or not, but do you have what it takes.

This post has been edited by Manada: Dec 13 2018, 08:58 PM
Manada
post Dec 13 2018, 08:57 PM

Apa lan

Many people want a CFA, but only a handful achieved it. Especially since you have worked for almost a decade, I assume you have family to take care of and other commitments.

Can you really achieve it??
Holocene
post Dec 14 2018, 07:45 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Manada @ Dec 13 2018, 08:57 PM)
Many people want a CFA, but only a handful achieved it. Especially since you have worked for almost a decade, I assume you have family to take care of and other commitments.

Can you really achieve it??
Sounds like you're a CFA 🤣😂
MalboroLight
post Dec 20 2018, 02:21 PM

Group: Newbie

If you are determined enough, just do CFA.

Nowadays, a finance degree (especially local) can't really help you.

Your words give me a feeling that you want to progress. Don't let other people tell you that you can't do it.

I have a mate who passed 3 levels consecutively at the age of 40 (passed level 3). He has no prior experience in finance. He is just determined enough.

I also have another friend who was a high flyer (first class, dean list) during our degree time failed miserably in Level 1.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0531sec    6.78    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th March 2019 - 01:01 PM