Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Overtaking (Right) Lane Give Way

potatobanana
post Dec 4 2018, 12:59 AM, updated 2d ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Was travelling on a long stretch of highway to Johor the other day.

I would love to share some information regarding my observation on the overtaking lane (right most).

Before I proceed to go into this topic further and deeper, please bear in mind safety is always number one.

Observation as below:
- If you stay close to a car, most car will think you are following them, and travelling together at same speed. (Avoid tailgating please, not safe)
- If you signal to the right, about 50% of driver might give way. (Provided those are considerate enough)
- If you flick your highbeam, well aware driver will give way. (A quick double flick is suffice)
- If you turn on your high beam after all the actions above, but the road hogger is still in front, it is proven the driver is self-centered. Avoid him/her at all cost, such driver will cause accident sooner or later.

It is interesting to see how driver behaves after such a long time did not cruise on such long stretch of highway.

This post has been edited by potatobanana: Dec 7 2018, 10:15 AM
lim47
post Dec 4 2018, 12:31 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(potatobanana @ Dec 4 2018, 12:59 AM)

I would love to share some information regarding my observation on the fast lane (right most).

Before I proceed to go into this topic further and deeper, please bear in mind safety is always number one.

Observation as below:
- If you stay close to a car, most car will think you are following them, and travelling together at same speed. (Avoid tailgating please, not safe)
- If you signal to the right, about 50% of driver might give way. (Provided those are considerate enough)
- If you flick your highbeam, well aware driver will give way. (A quick double flick is suffice)
- If you turn on your high beam after all the actions above, but the road hogger is still in front, it is proven the driver is self-centered. Avoid him/her at all cost, such driver will cause accident sooner or later.

It is interesting to see how driver behaves after such a long time did not cruise on such long stretch of highway.
thumbsup.gif
6UE5T
post Dec 5 2018, 12:39 AM

Getting Started

Flash some high beam is the best and safest way. Do not tailgate, it's stupid!
SkylineFreak
post Dec 5 2018, 10:15 AM

Getting Started

After doing all of the actions that you have mentioned, I would usually overtake from the left when safe because the driver is already dead set on not moving away from the overtaking lane.
unitron
post Dec 5 2018, 10:46 AM

W1(R)3d

Why our new transport minister never want to call for better enforcement of the "Ikut kiri jika tidak memotong" law.... i.e fast lane is for overtaking, if you're not overtaking you not suppose to be in the fast lane.

So if there is a faster car behind you, move aside. You suppose to always stay on the left anyway and keep the right most lane only for overtaking vehicles.

If people follow this rule, then there will be less jam on highways.... But as usual most Malaysian drivers are assholes.

tupaiz
post Dec 5 2018, 10:57 AM

Group: Newbie

if you should highbeam then do it from far away..not until just behihnd front car you flick those blinding light. we get it you fast wan others to give way.

sometime i just ignored it becos i think it is rudeeee.. do it from far away also people will aware lorr.. now flick those light at just behind front car is like saying fk off rudely not to mention also dangerous.

people like me has shine problem and when car behind beam me. my eyes blurred a while.

be considerate la god car. i drive only mybi if i want to tapau also can kejar back then beam beam beam until you go blind forever.
Marcus95
post Dec 5 2018, 11:45 AM

Casual

I would love to share some information regarding my observation on the fast lane (right most).

Observation as below:

I think most of the time when i flash in a distance they are aware, but some i have to flash from far till i am close to his car(still flashing) only they will move
Ekash
post Dec 5 2018, 01:03 PM

Getting Started

If the cars from behind is fast, but give proper signal be it right signal or flash high beam, I will give way, but if tailgating until very close, i ll ignore and continue with the allowed speed of high speed. One may say the one in front is self centered, but what about the one at the back that tailgating and posting dangers to others? So continue with high speed, the speedy drivet will be forced to slow down as well, then until i got clear view to go left, then only move left, else i will let them tailgate happily..
naveenkalai7
post Dec 5 2018, 01:59 PM

And there is also another type of drivers.. They drive Jap or conti cars and when high beam to give way, they will straight pedal to metal and wont give way.

This post has been edited by naveenkalai7: Dec 5 2018, 02:18 PM
unitron
post Dec 5 2018, 02:03 PM

W1(R)3d

QUOTE(naveenkalai7 @ Dec 5 2018, 01:59 PM)
And there are also another type of drivers.. They drive Jap or conti cars and when high beam to give way, they will straight pedal to metal and wont give way.
This type maybe not too bad.

Actually i prefer to have a fast travelling car in front of me... they help clear the road hogs in front..
6UE5T
post Dec 5 2018, 06:15 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Ekash @ Dec 5 2018, 01:03 PM)
If the cars from behind is fast, but give proper signal be it right signal or flash high beam, I will give way, but if tailgating until very close, i ll ignore and continue with the allowed speed of high speed. One may say the one in front is self centered, but what about the one at the back that tailgating and posting dangers to others? So continue with high speed, the speedy drivet will be forced to slow down as well, then until i got clear view to go left, then only move left, else i will let them tailgate happily..
As long as you're not surprised when those idiotic tailgaters accidentally bang your butt. πŸ˜‚
6UE5T
post Dec 5 2018, 06:25 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(unitron @ Dec 5 2018, 10:46 AM)
Why our new transport minister never want to call for better enforcement of the "Ikut kiri jika tidak memotong" law.... i.e fast lane is for overtaking, if you're not overtaking you not suppose to be in the fast lane.

So if there is a faster car behind you, move aside. You suppose to always stay on the left anyway and keep the right most lane only for overtaking vehicles.

If people follow this rule, then there will be less jam on highways.... But as usual most Malaysian drivers are assholes.
Honestly if you drive fast enough (faster than say 99% of the road users) then actually you almost never need to go to middle or left lane. In the rare case that 1% even faster drivers come behind you then only you move over or just try to go even faster still. ☺️
crixalisrox
post Dec 5 2018, 06:56 PM

Casual

Observation as below:

This one will lead to the tailgate driver overtake the hogger then jam brake. Saw with my own eyes, I pun shock blink.gif
SleeplessEyes
post Dec 5 2018, 07:39 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me

Yes, I have been overtaken even when I am already doing 140 in my Exora, above the national speed limit. I mean - If you overtake me while I'm already doing 140 , and you'll probably overtaking at 150 , two wrongs (including myself) doesn't make a right.
Yes, I also overtake cars from fast lane to middle lane, but only when necessary, just like what SkylineFreak pointed out. In fact its more dangerous to overtake from right to middle.

And no , I seldom high beam at others. But at times, when you are doing high speed run and suddenly some idiot from middle lane, forget to bring his pair of eyes and his rear and side view mirror to his car, and decided to suddenly switch to the fast lane, WITHOUT turn signal.

Worst part is, sometimes is some with old / underpowered cars (I don't mean to insult but it happened several times to me) suddenly switching lanes and taking their time to overtake a bus / lorry, while at back of you, there is another impatience tailgater.
If you don't have enough speed, don't try to overtake and wait for the fast lane to clear.
Dont wait for last minute the car from the right lane is coming close and here you are changing lanes, blindly.

Here is one video - Cars on AutoBahn. This guy was doing 220 and suddenly this BMW decided to switch lane. Skip to minute 2:28 if you don't wanna watch the full video. Kudos to the driver for keeping his middle finger secured.
This is the type of drivers I meant.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Okey enough said.

This post has been edited by SleeplessEyes: Dec 5 2018, 07:42 PM
zemega
post Dec 5 2018, 07:41 PM

Getting Started

Observation as below:

There are no fast lanes in Malaysia. There are overtaking lanes.
Ekash
post Dec 5 2018, 07:49 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 5 2018, 06:15 PM)
As long as you're not surprised when those idiotic tailgaters accidentally bang your butt. πŸ˜‚
No worry, the driver behind usually die faster becos feont bumper is nearer to impact and no guarantee that if u move left the car behind wont also accidentally wan overtake from left...
Quazacolt
post Dec 6 2018, 12:11 AM

Riding couple

QUOTE(unitron @ Dec 5 2018, 02:03 PM)
This type maybe not too bad.

Actually i prefer to have a fast travelling car in front of me... they help clear the road hogs in front..
Agreed lol
Maybe more fuel efficient with me drafting behind them, less wind resistance
hihihehe
post Dec 6 2018, 12:19 AM

~~ Almighty Ace ~~

one have to remember most right lane is mostly for overtaking lane.

hence the signboard "ikut kiri kecuali memotong"

Daylight2018
post Dec 6 2018, 12:50 AM

QUOTE(Ekash @ Dec 5 2018, 07:49 PM)
No worry, the driver behind usually die faster becos feont bumper is nearer to impact and no guarantee that if u move left the car behind wont also accidentally wan overtake from left...
Hope one day ill encounter idiots like u
Let u enjoy my ebrake on my company ranger

kirakun
post Dec 6 2018, 08:48 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Ekash @ Dec 5 2018, 01:03 PM)
Again 2 wrongdoing doesn't make any right. Better get that burnt into your head.

Tailgater may be at risk of causing an accident by colliding with the car in front yes but your response of clearly showing your ego in handling the situation will get risk of an accident caused by both tailgater and your own car very much higher. Think about it, move left whenever possible and just leave the tailgater to pass to meet their whatever that's waiting for them ain't so hard. Key word is you and your car is safe LOL.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0714sec    2.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 03:05 AM