Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Several problems with car, Nissan Sentra B14 (22 years old)

views

TS SilenTz_1993
post Dec 24 2018, 04:14 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Samboi @ Dec 24 2018, 12:57 PM)
thats good that it's still running, I'm starting to not want to fix anything until its broken.... but this is mostly due to part pricing and availability for b14s. need to figure out a parts interchange for everything. Like suspension and brakes and all that jazz.

its a bit ridiculous when b15 suspension is 1/2 the price of b14 for adjustables. and that brake pads cost close to 10x more for b14 than b15.

my most urgent fix i need to do is the horn. it only works when i push in the button at a certain angle. I think I can fix this as soon as I can get a decent soldering iron.
Yep. It think its about the age where the parts are getting phased out bye.gif Not sure if Proton Wira parts will be usable on this car. If yes then its a cheap solution tongue.gif

I only changed suspension once (APM brand) and seems okay so far. Not sure about adjustable ones.

Haha it seems like we have the same issue. My honk sucks too, only certain angle/press really hard then I get the sounds out. Positive side is... less road rage rclxm9.gif

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Dec 24 2018, 02:47 PM)
congrats on keeping your car running for 22 years hopefully you'll get your issue fixed.
A lot of japanese cars from the 90s will still keep going with little maintenance.

When you buy brakes, the forward brakes need to be stronger than rear, this gives more stable braking. Its an old practice to improve braking, but rear brake bias lets you corner while braking.

Sure the maintenance seems like a lot, but may be way cheaper than buying a new car. Add up all the costs and see.
The car is running pretty fine now and I'm glad for that. Happy to be driving this car biggrin.gif

And thanks for the tips. Definitely not skimping on the brakes and also my wheels when I change it next. Skidded a few times and decided I'm gonna get better tyres and brakes for the future already biggrin.gif

Yeah I do add up all the cost that I run into maintaining this car and it is in fact cheaper than paying for another entry level car.
ViktorJ
post Dec 25 2018, 11:41 AM

Casual

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Dec 24 2018, 04:14 PM)
And thanks for the tips. Definitely not skimping on the brakes and also my wheels when I change it next. Skidded a few times and decided I'm gonna get better tyres and brakes for the future already  biggrin.gif
What are your current tires, and what will you be changing them to?
Jessieccy
post Dec 25 2018, 01:42 PM

I hope u guys don't mind me butting in. If you have like rm180-200 for a 15" tires. You could consider Goodyear Assurance Triple Max2. Very good grip and wet control for mid range tires.
TS SilenTz_1993
post Dec 26 2018, 05:45 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ViktorJ @ Dec 25 2018, 11:41 AM)
What are your current tires, and what will you be changing them to?
Hello! I'm using Toyo NanoEnergy infront and Ecopia at the back. Both are economical tyres as far as I'm aware, changed to those since they were cheap and were sort of advertised to improve fuel economy, heh.

Not that they're bad, just not really well on wet roads. Thinking about PS3 or XM2 for my next change.

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Dec 25 2018, 01:42 PM)
I hope u guys don't mind me butting in. If you have  like rm180-200 for a 15" tires. You could consider Goodyear Assurance Triple Max2. Very good grip and wet control for mid range tires.
Will definitely take a look at those as another option as well. Are you using it yourself?
Jessieccy
post Dec 26 2018, 06:29 PM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Dec 26 2018, 05:45 PM)
Hello! I'm using Toyo NanoEnergy infront and Ecopia at the back. Both are economical tyres as far as I'm aware, changed to those since they were cheap and were sort of advertised to improve fuel economy, heh.

Not that they're bad, just not really well on wet roads. Thinking about PS3 or XM2 for my next change.
Will definitely take a look at those as another option as well. Are you using it yourself?
I'm using ATM1 I liked it so far. ATM2 is very new. Got some good reviews on the tire forum. Grip really good, it's really a huge upgrade from CC5. Current CC6 price not far away, but wet it's rubbish, may as well invest in good wet grip tires. First 6mths the tires really stick, heavy rains no worries. Now after 40k km 1.5yrs, it start to have some noise but not annoying. Still good grip. I think still got 40-50% of life. I will have to wait till my tires reach it's lifespan before I can try GY ATM2

This post has been edited by Jessieccy: Dec 26 2018, 06:32 PM
Samboi
post Dec 27 2018, 02:08 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Dec 26 2018, 05:45 PM)

I changed to some Ecopia Nextry tires after I lost 2 goodyear due to age, no complaints yet and no issues with sliding tongue.gif

how much was it to change the 4 corners for the suspension? I find the local springs too soft for my girth and bottom out on speedbumps quite frequently with more than 2 people in the car. Added those spring buffer things and they helps a little but not much.
TS SilenTz_1993
post Dec 27 2018, 05:22 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Dec 26 2018, 06:29 PM)
I'm using ATM1 I liked it so far. ATM2 is very new. Got some good reviews on the tire forum. Grip really good, it's really a huge upgrade from CC5. Current CC6 price not far away, but wet it's rubbish, may as well invest in good wet grip tires. First 6mths the tires really stick, heavy rains no worries. Now after 40k km 1.5yrs, it start to have some noise but not annoying. Still good grip. I think still got 40-50% of life. I will have to wait till my tires reach it's lifespan before I can try GY ATM2
Yeah it does seem pretty good, ATM2. I've checked out the brochure on GY's website and found that they don't have for R14 (which is what I'm using) so I might have to look at something else.

And to not need to buy new tyres... its a blessing tongue.gif

QUOTE(Samboi @ Dec 27 2018, 02:08 PM)
I changed to some Ecopia Nextry tires after I lost 2 goodyear due to age, no complaints yet and no issues with sliding tongue.gif

how much was it to change the 4 corners for the suspension? I find the local springs too soft for my girth and bottom out on speedbumps quite frequently with more than 2 people in the car. Added those spring buffer things and they helps a little but not much.
Ecopia Nextry seems pretty nice also hahaa. Previously I've only been looking at XM2 and PS3 now you guys be giving me more ideas sweat.gif Need to do some more research already. Haha!

I think I spent about RM700 to change only the absorbers I think. I wasn't sure what was changed as it was quite some time ago when it was done sweat.gif And yes, B14 is quite low and hits speedbumps easily. But.. its pretty darn comfortable though! rclxms.gif
Jessieccy
post Dec 27 2018, 07:51 PM

Oh it's 14" hehe then sorry la. I hope you save money. Hahaha wait till desperate then only change.
Samboi
post Dec 27 2018, 11:55 PM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Dec 27 2018, 05:22 PM)
Yeah it does seem pretty good, ATM2. I've checked out the brochure on GY's website and found that they don't have for R14 (which is what I'm using) so I might have to look at something else.

And to not need to buy new tyres... its a blessing  tongue.gif
Ecopia Nextry seems pretty nice also hahaa. Previously I've only been looking at XM2 and PS3 now you guys be giving me more ideas  sweat.gif  Need to do some more research already. Haha!

I think I spent about RM700 to change only the absorbers I think. I wasn't sure what was changed as it was quite some time ago when it was done  sweat.gif  And yes, B14 is quite low and hits speedbumps easily. But.. its pretty darn comfortable though!  rclxms.gif
Mine is like riding a skateboard right now. Feel every little bump. Thinking i should take out the buffers but my rocker scrape on speedbump(mountains) wothout them
Leong Kok Leong
post Dec 28 2018, 01:10 AM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:53 PM)
Hello all sifus!

Trying to troubleshoot my own car right now... has a few problems here and there. Would love to get some tips on where and what to look at! Driving a Nissan Sentra B14 myself here.

Oil change, radiator water, brake fluid etc. I do my best to change/top them up when needed.

A few problems below that I can't really figure out:

1. When accelerating, its almost as if there is a second "motor" that gives a somewhat high pitched whirring noise - the harder I press the pedal the louder the noise gets. However, the whirring noise goes off once the car is is approx 50km/h (I think)
2. Idling is somewhat rough, feels like my engine's RPM is very high (RPM meter rosak liao btw  sweat.gif). Tried to adjust the idle speed but once its idling nicely and not very loudly, my engine feels like it's close to stalling every now and then.
3. I've topped up my brake fluid recently (warning lights came on) but I wonder if it's a normal occurrence or should I be worried and send my car to a mechanic to check my brake system out?
4. I can smell gas when my gas tank is filled to max (eg. auto pump still stop). Once its down about 5L-ish I don't smell it anymore. My mechanic couldn't find anything on the gas tank he said. Any ideas?

Appreciate any input and insights.

Thank you!  biggrin.gif
regarding number 2

my car(same model) rpm will auto rev in idle...
sitting in the car you will feel the engine like kena tekan like that then slow down then repeat...
TS SilenTz_1993
post Dec 28 2018, 02:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Dec 27 2018, 07:51 PM)
Oh it's 14" hehe then sorry la. I hope you save money. Hahaha wait till desperate then only change.
Haha old car small tyre boss laugh.gif Next tyre change don't want to save money liao. Don't want to skimp on safety leh biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Samboi @ Dec 27 2018, 11:55 PM)
Mine is like riding a skateboard right now. Feel every little bump.  Thinking i should take out the buffers but my rocker scrape on speedbump(mountains) wothout them
Hmmm. Softer spring = comfortable but also = easy to hit bump. Its going to be a trade-off that you'll have a hard time thinking about laugh.gif

QUOTE(Leong Kok Leong @ Dec 28 2018, 01:10 AM)
regarding number 2

my car(same model) rpm will auto rev in idle...
sitting in the car you will feel the engine like kena tekan like that then slow down then repeat...
From what I know, if AC is on and you feel the engine rev a little then it should be normal. If AC off also still irregular then you might need to get it checked.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0741sec    2.77    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd April 2019 - 06:01 PM