Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is the most powerful car can buy for 20-25K?, Year/Make/Model does not matter

views

TSOld Red Eyes
post Nov 30 2018, 07:12 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
137 posts

Or can you even get anything truly powerful in that price range? I'd consider going up to 30K for something that would really stand out. I'm looking for a second car, mostly for commuting on the highway between KL and Seremban. My little Ford Fiesta is fun to throw around the curves in my quiet neighborhood, but it's got nothing on the highway.

A harder question to answer, perhaps, as it is so subjective, would be what is the most fun car to drive in that price range. Or maybe, what would be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the advice!
alcatrez
post Nov 30 2018, 09:16 PM

On my way
539 posts

Volvo 940 turbo
Nissan cefiro rb20det
Bmw + 1jz
Nissan skyline 250gt
6UE5T
post Nov 30 2018, 11:42 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Early 90s Mitsubishi Galant VR4.
Proton Satria GTI with engine swapped to 4G63T.
TSOld Red Eyes
post Dec 1 2018, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(alcatrez @ Nov 30 2018, 09:16 PM)
Volvo 940 turbo
Nissan cefiro rb20det
Bmw + 1jz
Nissan skyline 250gt
Thanks! The Volvo looks like a serious contender. I see only one Skyline on carlist.my in that price range, but my goodness, 215 hp? That looks attractive, too. I'm afraid I don't know what "rb20det" means for the Cefiro, and I'm not sure which BMW model is the "+ 1jz", but this sure gives me something to go on. Many thanks!

TSOld Red Eyes
post Dec 1 2018, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 30 2018, 11:42 PM)
Early 90s Mitsubishi Galant VR4.
Proton Satria GTI with engine swapped to 4G63T.

I'm not sure where I'd find either, but thanks for the tips!

alwinnng
post Dec 1 2018, 04:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,296 posts

QUOTE(Old Red Eyes @ Dec 1 2018, 01:16 AM)
Thanks! The Volvo looks like a serious contender. I see only one Skyline on carlist.my in that price range, but my goodness, 215 hp? That looks attractive, too. I'm afraid I don't know what "rb20det" means for the Cefiro, and I'm not sure which BMW model is the "+ 1jz", but this sure gives me something to go on. Many thanks!
1jz toyota engine in bmw body.. quite common
RalphRatedR
post Dec 1 2018, 06:13 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

For long distance driving... bigger cars are recommended. Have a look at Altezza 3S-GE/1JZ

BTW most A31 cefiros were powered by RB20DET engine (there's even RB25-powered cefiros as well.)

This post has been edited by RalphRatedR: Dec 1 2018, 06:39 AM
6UE5T
post Dec 1 2018, 09:30 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

I'm not sure where I'd find either, but thanks for the tips!
For VR4, once a while you can find in mudah like below:
https://www.mudah.my/1995+or+older+Mitsubis...4820.htm?last=1

For Satria GTI, got plenty in mudah or in the 4G63T facebook club//forum.

However judging by your comments above, its obvious that you actually don't have much clue about cars so better avoid thos with swapped engines like the rb20t Cefiro, or 1jz BMW, or even the 4G63t Satria. If you can stretch your budget a bit to 30k then can try to look for Suzuki Swift Sport ZC31S manual. I just bought one a few months agoi for my son to learn driving at rm29k in pretty good condition BUT this car now is very rare so you need to be patient and nowadays people easily asking for 35-36k (in fact I also have spent 6k+ on it to upgrade further). You can try view these cars, but they're normal Swift fully converted to the Sport so price is much cheaper:
https://www.mudah.my/2007+Suzuki+SWIFT+1+6+...M+-70970565.htm
https://www.mudah.my/2005+Suzuki+Swift+1+6+M+-71079351.htm

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Dec 1 2018, 09:30 AM
rcracer
post Dec 1 2018, 09:32 AM

?????
3,743 posts

Myvi obviously

Horsepower is useless in heavy body and poor maintained

Myvi 180 190 no sweat
mojo1ne
post Dec 1 2018, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

What myvi u drive 190 no sweat. I drive a 2.0 in a 1.3 body also i sweat. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by mojo1ne: Dec 1 2018, 11:04 AM
voscar
post Dec 1 2018, 11:48 AM

Regular
1,458 posts

First time I see Ford Fiesta no fun to drive on highway. How many horsepower or top speed you looking for? Or how fast century sprint 0-200 km/h that bother you?
voscar
post Dec 1 2018, 11:51 AM

Regular
1,458 posts

With Volvo 940 heavy body, you will be looking back to your Ford Fiesta acceleration and chili padi handling on tight spot.
Boy96
post Dec 1 2018, 11:44 PM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

E60 530i

VW WALD Touareg 3.2
TSOld Red Eyes
post Dec 2 2018, 12:33 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

Many thanks to all for the very helpful advice thus far. I'll try to reply to each of the questions, but a quick update. The recommendation of BMW got me searching those ads, and I've ended up looking at the Mercedes S-class, with a whopping 250 horsepower. This or a 5 or 7 series BMW would seem to be highway beasts, no? I'm now looking in the range of 30-40K.
k!nex
post Dec 2 2018, 02:45 AM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

Don't buy that Volvo 940 turbo. I don't think in stock form it has 215HP, at least in Malaysia. At most I think it only has about 135~165HP . I have seen under the hood of the car before, that stock turbocharger is actually a very small Mitsubishi TD04 unit. That turbo unit is commonly found in stock Lancer GSR 1.8L turbo engines.

There is only 1 thing good about that car, it is rear wheel drive . If you want loads of power, nah... The body is very heavy, it is build very solid like tank. If Myvi hit your bumper, you no rasa , it just like those ancient Nissan Sunny absorber bumper. That stock engine very makan minyak. Expect 8km/L or less if you drive in city traffic.

BMW with a 1JZ engine means the body is BMW body but with Toyota 1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo engine transplant. In stock engine configuration, it is a powerful and reliable unit, minimal vibration due to inline 6 cylinder design. This particular engine I have seen in old Jaguars too. Those people who don't want to pay 4.2L roadtax sometimes they do transplant with this engine. Going from 4.2L to 2.5L save you whole lot of roadtax money with so much more power to spare.

Oh yea, if you want to look for something that not only looks powerful but feels powerful too, you really need to take a look at the weight of any vehicle. A good example is you see RapidKL buses roaming around the street, those Scania units have about 250HP~270HP . Big power numbers but you should know yourself whether are they fast or not.

If you're looking at those Merc S class, be aware they do have Airmatic suspension, once spoilt, you need at least 10 times the price of a common Japanese car spare part price to fix it.
TSOld Red Eyes
post Dec 2 2018, 03:06 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(k!nex @ Dec 2 2018, 02:45 AM)
Don't buy that Volvo 940 turbo. I don't think in stock form it has 215HP, at least in Malaysia. At most I think it only has about 135~165HP . I have seen under the hood of the car before, that stock turbocharger is actually a very small Mitsubishi TD04 unit. That turbo unit is commonly found in stock Lancer GSR 1.8L turbo engines.

There is only 1 thing good about that car, it is rear wheel drive . If you want loads of power, nah... The body is very heavy, it is build very solid like tank. If Myvi hit your bumper, you no rasa , it just like those ancient Nissan Sunny absorber bumper. That stock engine very makan minyak. Expect 8km/L or less if you drive in city traffic.

BMW with a 1JZ engine means the body is BMW body but with Toyota 1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo engine transplant. In stock engine configuration, it is a powerful and reliable unit, minimal vibration due to inline 6 cylinder design. This particular engine I have seen in old Jaguars too. Those people who don't want to pay 4.2L roadtax sometimes they do transplant with this engine. Going from 4.2L to 2.5L save you whole lot of roadtax money with so much more power to spare.

Oh yea, if you want to look for something that not only looks powerful but feels powerful too, you really need to take a look at the weight of any vehicle. A good example is you see RapidKL buses roaming around the street, those Scania units have about 250HP~270HP . Big power numbers but you should know yourself whether are they fast or not.

If you're looking at those Merc S class, be aware they do have Airmatic suspension, once spoilt, you need at least 10 times the price of a common Japanese car spare part price to fix it.
Many thanks for that very informative reply. That inside information about the Volvo is very helpful to know. The more I think and hear about it, the Volvo is probably not the one I want.

I appreciate the explanation about the Japanese engine transplant in the BMW. (As opposed, notably, to an earlier comment I have no clue about cars.) I am not seeking a car to race or the like, so this is probably a level that is over my head and can safely stay there, but I do wonder how it is that one is supposed to find one of these transplants. I'm just using the online sites (carlist and mudah, mostly) as my guides. Just out of curiosity, is there a sort of secondary (tertiary?) market for these engine transplants?

Well noted on weight versus horsepower, especially vis a vis the city bus. I did once, though, watch a city bus burn in Wangsa Maju, and it became evident that everything from the chassis up was pretty lightweight (meaning flammable). I'll see if I can find a pic to share.

I've been reading about the Mercedes S-class cars tonight, and yes, I've read that same thing about the suspensions. But if they don't fail when you have the car, then the car is pretty sweet, right? Basically, here is my deal. I've got 21 months left here, with a car allowance of about 500 dollars (US) a month. If I could buy it for 50K ringgit and not pay a penny in repairs, then I could give it away at the end and not be out anything. I'm sure I would have to pay some in repairs, on a used car of this type, but I also don't want to deal with the hassle of taking the car to the shop, because I travel at least half-time for work and just don't have that many hours available. So I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

TSOld Red Eyes
post Dec 2 2018, 03:16 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

Here are some shots of that bus burning.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
mojo1ne
post Dec 2 2018, 07:50 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

There is a reason y the S-class is so cheap. Same goes for the older BMW 7 series. The cost to maintain outweighs the value of the car. Also one of the reasons the older E30s swap the 1jz engine. Power for value. Maintaining a jap engine is way cheaper than a continental engine.
yattnana
post Dec 2 2018, 10:59 AM

Getting Started
207 posts

Honda accord 3.0 v6......rm16k only. 240bhp
sonyman
post Dec 2 2018, 12:16 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(Old Red Eyes @ Dec 2 2018, 12:33 AM)
Many thanks to all for the very helpful advice thus far. I'll try to reply to each of the questions, but a quick update. The recommendation of BMW got me searching those ads, and I've ended up looking at the Mercedes S-class, with a whopping 250 horsepower. This or a 5 or 7 series BMW would seem to be highway beasts, no? I'm now looking in the range of 30-40K.
S class. Repair is like 10k to 20k probably 2x the price you bought the ori price.

Unless you say. I love it too much. I need one. Then by all means.

But at 250hp with that heavy body. Don't expect too much. 7 series as well. BTW. Why you need so much of power.unless you say you wanna go 250km/h. Everytime you on the road. Else. The 250hp. Is not used.
Also look a the figures on the power. Most Conti are higher Rpm power. Means anything beyond 4k Rpm the power really comes. Or else. Its just keeping the 250hp mist if the time. Unable to use it

If japun then power is in the lower end. But run out of it after 4k Rpm. To just won't budge.

Any cars that start. Slow. Will eventually have power in the end. Same goes the other way.

So you reconsider by studying the numbers first.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:46 PM