ðŸ‡°ðŸ‡·ðŸ‡°ðŸ‡· Korean Car Appreciation Thread 🇰🇷🇰🇷, RV enthusiast stay out

views

ayamxxx
post Dec 3 2022, 12:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,073 posts

QUOTE(PowerPC @ Dec 2 2022, 11:03 PM)
Walk across this sub forum and found this very meaningful topic biggrin.gif

I am not a "Pro-KoreanCar" but it is so sick when saw those person that trash Korean car like they own hundred units of it before so known everything (mostly all bad) then tell ppl dont buy it.

I am a Optima GT owner since 2018, and it is my 2nd korean car after the Hyundai Starex serve me so well for 4 years (in fact, it is still with me and crossing 9 years old, clocked 260,000km, now, and still service in Hyundai).

I recently just come back from Phuket round island with my Optima GT, which done driving 2600km in 6D5N from Negeri Sembilan. This is my 2nd time driving to Thailand with Optima GT, and my next trip will be drive to Bangkok on next month during CNY.

You know what ? I am driving a Korean made 245HP 2.0 Turbo patrol engine D-Seg sedan (with 1.7ton of weight) that most ppl say it must be very fuel hungry, problematic, bad resell value, like a most wrong decision has been made in life ? But in reality, it serve me amazingly well, very very well, just like the Hyundai Starex.

The true story is, this 2.0 Turbo engine even beat those 2.0N/A engine when come to fuel consumption. Per full tank, (usually refueling 62-64L) I will get minimum 680km with mix city/highway drive, the worst I got with Sport mode + aggressive drive, I never get anything below 500KM per tank.

In fact, I just made another personal record breaking with 940KM/tank (refueling 66L) during my Phuket trip, the last great record is 880KM/tank during my last Krabi trip. It is hovering between 14.6 to 15.6KM/L during the trip.

Anyone who drive to Krabi/Phuket knowing that the trip is not Highway only, it has few heavy traffic zone+ round island + traffic jammed, so this number is not "straight away driving", it is real life usage, and I am not using ECO mode at all, just -- drive like a normal person.

My Hyundai Starex, is a 2.2ton minivan (yes, bigger than alot of "MPV", ppl call Minivan in other country), with 2.5Turbo Diesel engine, + a slow 5-speed AT box, I got 1000KM/full tank (roughly refueling 67-70L Euro5 diesel usually) , and those most bad I never get below 650KM/full tank, even heavy traffic jam. Don't mention that engine is much more powerful than the lazy 2.4/2.5 VVTi engine found in Alphard, anyone who drive Starex can agree with me about that pulling power @ only 1500RPM above. So ? Another "makan minyak" story busted.

Most ppl maybe don't know, our KLCC twin tower, some majority part of steel inside that world famous building complete in year 1998 actually made from South Korea, if I remember correctly, it is Samsung a part of the project. 1 Tower built by South Korea, and 1 Tower by Japan.

And Ship that build in Korea has very positive record, it is because of their steel quality, world agree on it.

So, if you own/drive Korea car, especially design/made within last 10 years, they have outstanding chassis quality. I mean very very solid chassis. It is applied to my Hyundai Starex, and also the Optima GT.

Take Hyundai Starex for example, usually this type of large van will generate alot of sequencing noise when crossing uneven road, those plastic cover friction sound actually caused by twisting chassis (*which most ppl will say it is bad fitment) , but the Starex is almost none. And the ride quality (even as a Van-base), has very solid feedback, you can feel it by filling 10person inside the car and drive it. Same does my Optima GT, the first drive feeling shot in to my body is how firm and solid the chassis are, you can instantly feel that the road surface at your lower back, with almost zero noise generated from underside of the car, and don't forget this car is equipped with big moon-roof, and it can be open. Usually, car with moon-roof has weaker chassis due to big open space at roof, even my relative Mercedes S350 only equipped half moon roof (partial sunroof) has noise during uneven road, my Optima GT has none of it, even after 4 years++ today, still silent. The material of the moonroof structure mention it used Carbon Fiber reinforce, it is also very rare & first in Korean car.

Every welding point/glue that inside my Optima GT has very fine workmanship, (I can show you those detail picture if you want) Those area can be see in eyes or those can not (like underneath the seat), you can see they have extra welding point/welding line in key impact area like Suspension top mounting, rear cross member, front strut support, and engine mounting area. As a car lover, I view every detail and compare them since many years, and I own multiple Japanese car before (sadly, none of German due to financial affordability), Korean car is much more, much more, MUCH MORE better in chassis welding work and joint.

This also an evident why they score so high in safety rating even in more strictest country like IIHS America since many years ago (I remember is after 2009 or something).

Almost all Japanese car I own before has very weak chassis except Subaru, the one exception that I really need to credit to it. The WRX I own many years ago has the most solid chassis/drive before korean.

The suspension quality also far better than Japanese, at least from my ownership history.  My Starex, change Front Lower Arm + Suspension at 165,000KM , and the rear suspension still fine even today @ 260,000KM. There is only little knocking noise in front strut can you imagine how solid it is for 2.2ton van ? Even my 2017 Nissan Navara truck has noisy suspension (grease leaking upper arm) at only 110,000km, and this is truck, supposedly need to stand even longer. And I am not use it to Off Road, the Navara drive path is 100% same as Starex, some times Starex even drive harsher than Navara, so you see?

My Optima GT is clocked at 61,000KM, all suspension is still silent, and no minor worn can be see even the place I live (small town in N. Sembilan) has bad road everywhere (thanks to corrupted state gov).

The alignment in Optima GT is amazingly stable, I only did 1 time wheel alignment @30,000km , and it still drive very well today, I still remember how frequently I visit tyre shop with Japanese car.

Those part come from Korea is last very long, the brake pad, the tyres, the suspension bush and etc. The stock tires come with my Starex is Nexen, and it last 92,000km (all 4 tyres). Then, I change to the same tires again, the Nexen, it last 96,000km , now the 3rd set of same brand tyres, still lasting very well *(about 70,000km now).

You might say I bluffing or kencing, but let me tell you, my 2017 Nissan Navara stock Toyo A25 Open Country tires last 96,000km , the secret that made those tyres last this long is all about crossing tyres/balancing on time.

I cross/switch tyres at every 20,000km. And I never simply do alignment if the steering is still straight without pulling left/right. The only thing you need to do is balancing all 4 tyres, as long as that tyres shop has great skill to align your car, you won't need to do alignment so often, trust me.

So, do Korea car has problem ?

Yes, like every other brand, no car is perfect. But Korea car will not bring any major problem (like broken down at middle of busy road like some VeryWorried brand) if you service them on time.

My Starex has wheel sensor ring broken @ 76,000km when I hit a hole, the broken wheel sensor ring bring up ABS Sensor error, after few claim of sensor, ABS main unit, they found out the broken ring hide inside the wheel bearing, and solve it immediately.

A noisy front brake caliper due to worn grease between Caliper and brakepad, it solve it by replacing the grease every 40,000km during brake kit service.

Noisy sliding door rail after years of two, solve by greasing & tightened the bearing attached to the rail.

Broken / Bocoh EGR Hose (an exhaust circulation hose that bring hot air to intake which heat up the engine when cold start + lower pollution) that bring whzzzzzzing sound during cold start, happen during 120,000KM, they part cost RM250 included labors, but my car still under warranty so Hyundai replace for me.

Turbo fin aged (still powerful but have cracking noise when release pedal) , happen @ 185,000KM , which is, fair. As the turbo still okay, just the turbine worn abit and the free space between turbine and housing will make noise when you release pedal during acceleration, nothing harm even you dont replace the turbo, just abit noisy but the engine still powerful. The cost of 1 complete turbo kit is RM7k ++ that time, but under warranty, Hyundai replace new for me free of charge.

Thats all ! For Starex. Is above problem major ? No, I experience much worst with other brand, but no need to talk here.

Now, the Optima GT. What is the issue ?

Well, the only issue (and the very famous 1) is the rear Wheel Sensor, which almost majority of Optima GT owner will encounter. The tiny plastic cover near the wheel contain a speed sensor, which send signal to main ECU that process ABS, ESP, TPMS (Tyres Pressure monitoring), Headlamp (Steering response), will be faulty. My car happen at 35,000KM, and some of the group member happen at earlier of 20,000km or some happen late @ 100,000km.

The part is commonly share with few Hyundai/KIA model, like Sportage or Tucson, and they face the same problem as well. It is replace free of charge by KIA, and the part cost about RM160-200 for genuine MOBIS part or Hyundai OEM.

Then, the latest problem discover by group member (my car haven yet) is front Drive Shaft leaking or worn, it has a greasing kit cost few hundred or if it need to replace whole drive shaft will cost RM2K++, it is depend on how hard you always push the car. Since 245HP send to both front wheel has great impact to drive shaft if owner drive aggressively. The average mileages that this thing fail is 80,000km above from what I observed. So, It sound fair to me if the drive shaft failed after 100,000km.

Thats all for Optima GT ? Yes. It is. That is why I am so confidence to own it and even drive it to as far as Bangkok, it is a very reliable car. In fact, the stock AGM battery that come with this car (Delko AGM) since 2018 still tested hold 75% in today, tell me any car battery that last nearly 5 years ?

I might be typing too much in this reply, I am sorry if it sick your mind. My intention is trying to tell how much I appreciated Korean car base on my owning experience, and I am trying to convince those who never own one don't listen to those "person" horror korean car story. Same does those ppl who did't own an Jaguar but telling others how expensive/unreliable of it by looking the numbers on the road.

I will not say Korean car is better than other brand, but what I am trying to say is Korean car is way better, way reliable than those brand in the same class or same money you spend, especially in Malaysia. 

The price I pay to buy Hyundai Starex is 1/2 of a Recond (Japan Used) T. Alphard , yet I have more better driving experience (powerful engine, good handling) while sacrificed branding, luxury interior, and softer suspension. And I don't see any "horror" resell value for my 9 years Starex, which still hold for RM30 to 40K price, and not forget I only pay RM142k 9 years ago, even I sell it for RM0 , it just lost RM15.8K per year. Same age T. Alphard may sell higher, but they pay RM3xxk for it. Think again ?

Same does my Optima GT, I buy at discounted price for RM160k during 2018, it is cheaper than Accord 2.4 at that time, (yet I has many extra future like cooling seat, wireless charging, full LED+Adaptive Steering Response headlamp, 245HP, memory seat, full interior LED reading light etc) , the market is still hovering between RM95k to 105K depending on conditions. So it is not horror story either, like most claim that I will sell this crap car at RM20k after 5 years, or the worst, become rumah ayam in Kampung (no body want it).

Anyway, thank you for reading, have a nice day ahead !
The FC of the Optima GT, around 10-11km/l average, for Accord 2.4 2015 is around 13.5km/l based on meter city + highway drive. Think that the limit for Turbocharger Engine FC vs NA engine, the window for best fc is limited to highway drive only.

Had x70 ckd 1.8T, the city average 9-11km/l but for highway national speed can up to 13km/l
PowerPC
post Dec 3 2022, 03:12 PM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Dec 3 2022, 12:19 PM)
The FC of the Optima GT, around 10-11km/l average, for Accord 2.4 2015 is around 13.5km/l based on meter city + highway drive. Think that the limit for Turbocharger Engine FC vs NA engine, the window for best fc is limited to highway drive only.

Had x70 ckd 1.8T, the city average 9-11km/l but for highway national speed can up to 13km/l
My average of fuel economy with my Optima GT will always hover between 13km and above. (Mostly 14.2, 14.4). It is not 100% highway drive, it is mixed. Usually 50/50 with kampung and city drive.

If 100% city drive, with traffic jam and long idling, worst will be 10, or 11km/L.

I never meet anything a tank of fuel below 10km/L.

Oh ya, if highway crusing, it will always above 16km/L .

This post has been edited by PowerPC: Dec 3 2022, 03:15 PM
ayamxxx
post Dec 3 2022, 05:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,073 posts

QUOTE(PowerPC @ Dec 3 2022, 03:12 PM)
My average of fuel economy with my Optima GT will always hover between 13km and above. (Mostly 14.2, 14.4). It is not 100% highway drive, it is mixed. Usually 50/50 with kampung and city drive.

If 100% city drive, with traffic jam and long idling, worst will be 10, or 11km/L.

I never meet anything a tank of fuel below 10km/L.

Oh ya, if highway crusing, it will always above 16km/L .
Your first statement said differently for fc
PowerPC
post Dec 4 2022, 09:31 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Dec 3 2022, 05:57 PM)
Hmm ??? hmm.gif
PowerPC
post Dec 4 2022, 09:43 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Dec 3 2022, 05:57 PM)
This is my current tank with city/slow kampung drive , done 635km with 4/3 tank, still plenty to go, avrg 13.7km/L. You can see the avrg speed is only 41km/h, so it is definitely not the best scenario (highway drive).

This post has been edited by PowerPC: Dec 4 2022, 09:44 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
hjack
post Dec 4 2022, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
242 posts

Ionic 5 is impressive. Hope it spills down lower end models quicker.
Avangelice
post Dec 5 2022, 10:27 AM

In Absolute Control
4,863 posts

Just changed my entire suspension parts for 2.6k (non ori) and I'm happy with the way my k3 drives. Hv to hang on to it until I get a car I like in the market

15 Pages « < 13 14 15Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.82    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:07 AM