Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Introducing CloudReady, Turn your PC into Chrome OS

views

TSNorlane
post Nov 16 2018, 11:01 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
83 posts

Chrome OS is designed for Chromebook and tablets.

But neverware.com with its CloudReady can turn your PC and Mac into a Chrome OS-enabled desktop and laptop computer.

I created an USB installer, booted up and installed successfully. For those who want free OS just to browse the Internet, here's the solution, it doesn't need cutting edge hardware.

Please note that this OS cannot write files to DVD or USB, it can only read from USB or external storage. It can plays multimedia files though, and has a built-in Virtual Box (to experiment with other OS virtually)

http://www.neverware.com (Free for Home users only)
TSNorlane
post Nov 16 2018, 11:13 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Please also note that this OS cannot support Google Play Store although you need a Google account in order to sign in. You can only use Chromium as the Internet browser.
It is mainly designed for doing things online. You will not be able to install any apps, although it will be made possible in the future.

CloudReady and Chrome OS has minor differences. Just like Chromium and Google Chrome has differences too.
TSNorlane
post Nov 19 2018, 10:24 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

The screenshot shows the start button and task bar, the Chromium internet browser, and the File manager.
Attached Image

You still can download files to the hard drive in Downloads folder. The file manager is connected to your Google Drive by default. Just drag and drop to copy files.

BTW, press Ctrl+F5 to capture screenshot (it will be automatically saved as Screenshot_date_time.png image file), or Ctrl+Shift+F5 to select portion of screen to capture. Very convenient.

Grammar Police
post Dec 17 2018, 01:39 PM

Casual
332 posts

"it doesn't need cutting edge hardware"

but surely there is a minimum hardware requirement?

This post has been edited by Grammar Police: Dec 17 2018, 01:43 PM
thewan
post Dec 17 2018, 04:57 PM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(Grammar Police @ Dec 17 2018, 01:39 PM)

i tried this a few years ago on my MSI Wind U100 netbook (atom n270 1 core 2 threads/2gb ram/intel hd gpu). it was useable. You can like open 2-3 tabs with minimal lag, or one tab with a youtube video running at 480p.
TSNorlane
post Dec 18 2018, 02:57 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Grammar Police @ Dec 17 2018, 01:39 PM)

Sure. I quoted them from here.

General Hardware Recommendations:
Only officially certified models are guaranteed to work with CloudReady, but many other models will work fine. Neverware recommends the following minimum hardware requirements

RAM: 2GB or greater

Storage space: 16GB or more

BIOS: Full administrative access, in order to boot from the CloudReady USB installer

Processor and Graphics: Components made prior to 2007 will likely result in a poor experience. Additionally, the following graphics hardware does not meet performance standards on CloudReady: Intel GMA 500, 600, 3600, 3650

They have updated the OS to v70 and now the UI is quite different. You can have even night mode with schedule (i.e. sunset to sunrise).
TSNorlane
post Dec 18 2018, 02:59 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

This is the latest screenshot. They have just updated the OS from v64 to v70. A lot of UI changes.

Attached Image
TSNorlane
post Dec 19 2018, 11:04 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

One of the best thing I like about this OS is the user control. You can enable/disable guest mode, or allow/disallow sign-in from new user.
Note: Only the owner (the first Google user) can manage the users.
Attached Image

Allow Linux app still in Beta. I heard people saying at least one user had tried to install Android Studio (SDK and IDE) on CloudReady by enabling this option.
Attached Image

The file manager supports files drag and drop to/from Google Drive, from memory card or phone memory (read only) and DVD drive (read only) as well.
Note: ZIP is supported by default. You can zip and unzip easily. For .7z archive as an example, you need to download browser extension from Web Store which offers not many option.
Attached Image

The multimedia player. As usual.
Attached Image

I think most multimedia format is supported. (You can enable/disable/update the codec in Settings).
I have tried MP3, MP4, 3GP.....all okay.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Norlane: Dec 19 2018, 11:12 PM
TSNorlane
post Dec 21 2018, 07:43 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Here's why Google Play Store is not supported on CloudReady:

Google has added support for running Android apps via integration with the Google Play Store on many Chromebooks. Due to multiple legal and technical constraints, this functionality is not available on CloudReady.

Google's Chromium OS is open source, making it possible for a small organization like Neverware to provide a variant of it, CloudReady, as a fully supported, regularly updated option for those who don't want to purchase official Chromebooks. The work that Google and the wider Chromium community put into the Chromium/OS codebase fuels much of the value in CloudReady. Unfortunately, some aspects of Google's official Chrome OS  aren't open source or part of Chromium OS. This includes some key components of the technology that allows Android Apps to run on Chrome OS.

The Android container-environment, among other critical components, are private, proprietary, and/or not licensed for re-distribution, creating both technical and legal boundaries to anyone supporting Android apps on Chromium OS except Google.........
7cantona
post May 8 2019, 07:07 AM

On my way
586 posts

any review on it ?
Palindromes
post Mar 24 2020, 08:03 AM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

I have stopped using it after used it for one year. I switched back to Windows for software development.
Palindromes
post Mar 26 2020, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

I have just installed back CloudReady and it is now v78. As I said, must do everything online, it just have VirtualBox, File Manager (with Multimedia player), and the Chromium Internet Browser.....

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
FlierMate
post Dec 28 2020, 12:06 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

Good going. I heard that Google has acquired Neverware, the company who distribute CloudReady, a Chromium OS suitable for low-end desktop PC.

Now CloudReady is part of Google.
FlierMate
post Feb 4 2022, 07:31 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

Introducing another Chromium OS for PC: https://fydeos.io/

The 10 software developers are mostly from Beijing, China

This fydeOS can support Android apps and Linux subsystem.

To download: https://fydeos.io/download
Their website is available in English and Chinese.

No screenshot at the moment, as I am still downloading the .img.xz (1.9GB) myself.
Muusyc
post Feb 10 2022, 02:47 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:34 AM