Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Removing Oxidation from Heatsink

views

TSblurcase
post Nov 13 2018, 10:57 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
418 posts

Hi everyone. I need some advice on how to remove oxidation from heatsink.

I have tried using a diluted vinegar with distilled water 1:4, soaked it for about an hour. After general brushing and rinsing thoroughly, I still find the oxidation all over the place, and it is rather painful to be using a knife to be scraping them off. Attached are the pictures of the condition (after cleaning with method mentioned above).

Before anyone tries to suggest, this GPU is a generic Nvidia P104-100, so I cannot find a replacement heatsink. I would greatly appreciate if anyone has other solutions or suggestions to offer. Thanks.

Attached Image Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image
davidletterboyz
post Nov 13 2018, 11:52 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

Try to soak it in Coke for hours. I know it works for copper, but not sure about alu.

This post has been edited by davidletterboyz: Nov 13 2018, 11:53 PM
TSblurcase
post Nov 14 2018, 12:02 AM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Nov 13 2018, 11:52 PM)
Try to soak it in Coke for hours. I know it works for copper, but not sure about alu.
I have read somewhere that from chemistry standpoint, Coke works for copper but not for aluminium. Nonetheless, will give it a try, thanks.

If anyone else have some ideas, please feel free to continue pouring them in.
davidletterboyz
post Nov 14 2018, 12:09 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Nov 14 2018, 12:02 AM)
I have read somewhere that from chemistry standpoint, Coke works for copper but not for aluminium. Nonetheless, will give it a try, thanks.

If anyone else have some ideas, please feel free to continue pouring them in.
Actually, this kind of heatsink is not hard to find. Just get the HS with the matching holes. I think most 1060 have the same mounting.
thefryingfox
post Nov 14 2018, 12:12 AM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

dude long long time ago when I was over clocking.... we use fine sand paper and sand it down to mirror finish... works like a charm
TSblurcase
post Nov 14 2018, 12:30 AM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Nov 14 2018, 12:09 AM)
Actually, this kind of heatsink is not hard to find. Just get the HS with the matching holes. I think most 1060 have the same mounting.
Hmm, I tried googling a few 1060s as u mentioned, but could not seem to find any that would be suitable.

https://www.bitnand.com/product-page/nvidia...100-mining-card

This is how the card looks like. If u do know of any heatsinks that can be compatible, please share. Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE(thefryingfox @ Nov 14 2018, 12:12 AM)
dude long long time ago when I was over clocking.... we use fine sand paper and sand it down to mirror finish... works like a charm
Hmm, I wouldnt mind doing this if it was only 1 card, but I have 8 cards to attend to, dont think I can afford the time and effort. Thanks for the info anyways. smile.gif
thefryingfox
post Nov 14 2018, 12:33 AM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

actually quite easy.. just buy the finest sand paper.. take out the heat sink and gosok until clear... usually 2 to 3 minutes settle
TSblurcase
post Nov 14 2018, 05:37 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(thefryingfox @ Nov 14 2018, 12:33 AM)
actually quite easy.. just buy the finest sand paper.. take out the heat sink and gosok until clear... usually 2 to 3 minutes settle
Hmm, that actually gave me an alternative idea, cuz I do have a dremel and wire brush adapter, may consider that as the alternative. Thanks for input!

Anyone else have chemical type cleaning suggestions, please keep them pouring in, thanks!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:33 AM