Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tyre tube : necessary?

views

TSwannoradzahari
post Nov 7 2018, 10:46 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
75 posts

Usually when we change to new tyres, the shop will charge us extra up to rm5 per tyre for the valve tube. So what is this valve tube? Is it the rubber capping that we take out when we trying to pump our tyres? If that is it, is it necessary to buy new ones when replacing tyres? Can we just use the old one from the old tyres? RM5 is crazy expensive for that tiny thing. If change 4 tyres already rm20.
raayeop
post Nov 7 2018, 11:23 AM

0 posts

Not really necessary if you think that RM5 is a bit much.. Can wait till it fails before replacing it.. But when it fails, be prepared to swap the tyre.
TSwannoradzahari
post Nov 7 2018, 12:24 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(raayeop @ Nov 7 2018, 11:23 AM)
Not really necessary if you think that RM5 is a bit much.. Can wait till it fails before replacing it.. But when it fails, be prepared to swap the tyre.
Really? So actually what's the purpose of the valve? If you don't put it, will air go out of the tyre? Because I just change tyre last Friday and the rubber valve (that I newly bought along with the tyre) already fell off. Just went to the shop back to get replacement and the worker there didn't even ask me question, he just give me new one for free and that's it.
leehernandez
post Nov 7 2018, 02:39 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(wannoradzahari @ Nov 7 2018, 12:24 PM)
Really? So actually what's the purpose of the valve? If you don't put it, will air go out of the tyre? Because I just change tyre last Friday and the rubber valve (that I newly bought along with the tyre) already fell off. Just went to the shop back to get replacement and the worker there didn't even ask me question, he just give me new one for free and that's it.
the thing that fell off is the cap.not the stem.usually when u change tyre advisable to change them,the whole stem.sometimes after change tyre,if the rubber valve is harden or crack,air might leak from the valve.if u didnt notice and continue driving,it might damage your tyres.so because of a rm 5 thing u have to replace a tyre?the rm 5 thing last u until your tyre change and used for years.maybe u think is expensive.so u can choose not to change it.
Deja Vu
post Nov 7 2018, 02:39 PM

Regular
1,851 posts

TS,
Are you talking about the tire valve that sticks thru the rim and that can be either rubber or metal?

6UE5T
post Nov 7 2018, 02:45 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

That valve tube that they charged you I think is not just the cap but the whole thing that goes into the rim. Normally when changing rims/tires then they will check if the rubber seals of that valve tube still ok or not. If not then may leak, do they will suggest to change, but it's NOT always mandatory to change it every time you change tires/rims.

As for the plastic cap at the end, that's just extra protection from valve leaking, if not have also still can, and yes normally it's free unless those fancy colorful ones that you buy in accessories shops.
Zot
post Nov 7 2018, 02:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(wannoradzahari @ Nov 7 2018, 10:46 AM)
Usually when we change to new tyres, the shop will charge us extra up to rm5 per tyre for the valve tube. So what is this valve tube? Is it the rubber capping that we take out when we trying to pump our tyres? If that is it, is it necessary to buy new ones when replacing tyres? Can we just use the old one from the old tyres? RM5 is crazy expensive for that tiny thing. If change 4 tyres already rm20.
It is called valve stem. In tubeless tire it is independent and not part of the tire. It can last longer than the tire.

Tire rubber on shelves are guaranteed for 6 years I think and then will become hardened and crack. If we assume the valve stem rubber can last in say 5 years, you probably can change every twice tire change.

The workshop maybe want to make money or maybe honestly want to save you from trouble in case the stem has become leak. However, changing new one each time also does not guarantee it won't leak. The good shop would ask you if you want to change it or not by giving you advise if the valve stem look bad. The foreman usually know if it is getting bad or not.
artificialRAGE
post Nov 7 2018, 04:30 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

This post has been edited by artificialRAGE: Mar 24 2019, 10:57 AM
TSwannoradzahari
post Nov 8 2018, 10:23 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Nov 7 2018, 02:39 PM)
TS,
Are you talking about the tire valve that sticks thru the rim and that can be either rubber or metal?
Yea, I'm talking about that thing. But I dunno if the shop actually charges me rm5 for which. On the receipt it says rubber valve. So I guess that means the whole stem and not just the capping?
TSwannoradzahari
post Nov 8 2018, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(leehernandez @ Nov 7 2018, 02:39 PM)
the thing that fell off is the cap.not the stem.usually when u change tyre advisable to change them,the whole stem.sometimes after change tyre,if the rubber valve is harden or crack,air might leak from the valve.if u didnt notice and continue driving,it might damage your tyres.so because of a rm 5 thing u have to replace a tyre?the rm 5 thing last u until your tyre change and used for years.maybe u think is expensive.so u can choose not to change it.
I see. So the rm5 that the shop charge me is for the whole stem? I thought that thing already inclusive with the tyre.
Deja Vu
post Nov 8 2018, 10:50 AM

Regular
1,851 posts

QUOTE(wannoradzahari @ Nov 8 2018, 10:23 AM)
Yea, I'm talking about that thing. But I dunno if the shop actually charges me rm5 for which. On the receipt it says rubber valve. So I guess that means the whole stem and not just the capping?
Its the whole valve stem (incl the cap). Some valve stems are metal. And yes, RM5 sounds about standard for each valve.

All tire shops that I've gone so far include the cost (or FOC) of the rubber valves if I change all 4 wheels, while most will charge if you change to metal valve stems, or if you just replace 1 or 2 tires.

Like many have mentioned, the rubber seal degrades over time and the best time to replace the valves stem is when the tire is off the rim because that is the only way to insert them from the inside. So rather than waiting for the rubber to leak, it'll make more sense and effort to do so at this time.

1 more advise to those changing all 4 tires. Do clarify if the total costs for all 4 new tires includes valves (usually rubber stems), balancing and alignment. Never take for granted that they are, given that how cheap some offers come about nowadays.

This post has been edited by Deja Vu: Nov 8 2018, 10:54 AM
leehernandez
post Nov 8 2018, 12:12 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(wannoradzahari @ Nov 8 2018, 10:25 AM)
I see. So the rm5 that the shop charge me is for the whole stem? I thought that thing already inclusive with the tyre.
yes.the whole stem.some place do include but some place not.u have to calculate the price for those who include and not then compare which one is cheaper.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:14 AM