Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is a MacBook a good investment (resale value)?

views

TSryan95
post Nov 3 2018, 03:03 PM, updated 6y ago

31 posts

I was thinking of getting a new laptop soon and figured I'd splurge on a MacBook because of the high resale value. Basically I'm hoping to sell it if after a few years to move on to the latest and greatest MacBook.

My question is: do people actually buy secondhand macbooks here? Just focusing on Lowyat, I see a few MacBook WTS posts but even fewer replies to them. What gives? I'm afriad when I want to sell my MacBook, no one will buy it or at least for its value. Thoughts?
kiddokitt
post Nov 3 2018, 03:09 PM

On my way
555 posts

there are macbook groups in FB. can do sell/buy there. more hits and responses.
magnesium
post Nov 3 2018, 03:09 PM

Regular
1,130 posts

Seller can put whatever price they want

high price = hard to sell

Low price = easy to sell
jichuen
post Nov 3 2018, 03:24 PM

On my way
627 posts

To answer your questions, yes people do buy second macbooks, and they are highly sought after, but the problem is not all second hand buyer are willing to pay.

Ask yourself, if you would pay high price for a second hand macbook or try to strike a deal and lowball since you yourself is bearing a risk of buying a second hand macbook?

Second, if you plan to buy anything just for the resale value, forget about it. Not to say macbook doesnt have a higher resale value. But to sell something used and you bought it new for a high price is hard for me to imagine.

I see alot people on lowyat, fb market place and even carousell or mudah selling things at a crazy expensive price thinking just because the bought it new and was well taaken care of. I highly doubt they could clear their items.

Which brings it back to the question. are second hand buyer willing to pay for it? put yourself if the shoes
xerox8908
post Nov 3 2018, 03:50 PM

Look at all my stars
2,724 posts

QUOTE(ryan95 @ Nov 3 2018, 03:03 PM)
I was thinking of getting a new laptop soon and figured I'd splurge on a MacBook because of the high resale value. Basically I'm hoping to sell it if after a few years to move on to the latest and greatest MacBook.

My question is: do people actually buy secondhand macbooks here? Just focusing on Lowyat, I see a few MacBook WTS posts but even fewer replies to them. What gives? I'm afriad when I want to sell my MacBook, no one will buy it or at least for its value. Thoughts?
You getting the wrong idea about investment . Investment is something you can gain profit and potentially increase in value .
Mac book is an asset that only depreciate .
ZM Fong
post Nov 3 2018, 07:07 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

If everyone know how cheap is the build quality of Macbooks (yes, I'm not kidding) and how disgusting is the anti-consumer behaviour of Apple, there will be little to no resell value. But sadly most people don't know about it...

The OS and maybe the display are the only selling points. Other than that, crap

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Nov 3 2018, 07:08 PM
faizalmzain
post Nov 6 2018, 11:00 PM

Regular
1,416 posts

i asked one shop in pavilion that accept trade in, my mid 2014 macbook pro trade in price is around RM2,200.
i think it's a really good resale value considering i bought 4 years back for around RM4k at the same shop, i bought it just before they increase the price up to RM1k++
i'm still loving it, was considering to trade in and get a new macbook pro but then i probably need to buy surface instead for work.
received very old laptop for work and apparently i can use my own laptop for work.

This post has been edited by faizalmzain: Nov 6 2018, 11:03 PM
thxxht
post Nov 14 2018, 11:58 AM

Casual
356 posts

you are still selling at a loss with a macbook and you won't be the only person selling used macbooks. You should ask yourself if your current workload requires a new macbook or not and if your ROI is justified for the price.

for some people that work with media and are constantly on the move, the macbook is a workhorse, being able to encode video a few mins faster means they can produce more videos which means they can make more money, they don't even consider the resale value, it's a bonus if it can fetch a nice second hand price.
STANLee8808
post Nov 17 2018, 12:13 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(ryan95 @ Nov 3 2018, 03:03 PM)

I got MacBook pro 2014. You can buy 2nd hand if have any issue you can send over to Singapore repair. If you want to sell our your Macbook, not easy. A lot of Mac users selling there own cause some of the software can't support and no much storage, 512GB storage cant save any file, unless you buy wireless HDD.
As my experience, MacBook prefers for business & public event use, won't get the blue screen if you use for a projector or LED screen in public event.
If use design, gaming or hardcore work prefer go to Windows laptop / PC. thumbup.gif

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:33 PM