23 Pages « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[2018/2019] MacBook Air Official Discussion Thread

views

Hilarion
post May 17 2019, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

Seems like this Macbook Air is not well received. Been trying to get rid of mine for over a month, still no takers lol.

Should've gotten the Pro instead of the Air from the start.
TSwestlife
post May 17 2019, 02:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,302 posts

QUOTE(Hilarion @ May 17 2019, 11:42 AM)
Seems like this Macbook Air is not well received. Been trying to get rid of mine for over a month, still no takers lol.

Should've gotten the Pro instead of the Air from the start.
Certainly, the processor makes a huge difference on the capability. Air is not here or there. The processor is just slightly better than 12-inch one.
drunkn7
post May 20 2019, 08:05 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

QUOTE(Ryanang @ Apr 14 2019, 04:46 PM)
Hi , do u suggest to buy from Apple online store ? Since have student price ? Isn’t safe if nobody to sign in that particular day , and when will they send to if I do not manage to sign the parcel ? What kind of packaging will they package the MacBook ?

Btw what does it mean : delivers 18/4/2019 . Isn’t me an will arrive at that day to my doorstep ?
Will it delay tho ? Thank you wink.gif
Apple delivery estimates are usually fairly accurate, and sometimes even earlier than the estimate. The tracking is good though, and usually a more premium experience than the typical local shipping - some can even make arrangements on timing etc. Depends on the shipping company - which usually depends on where it’s shipped from.

The MacBooks usually come in their box, which comes in another protective box. Quite nifty.
Ryanang
post May 22 2019, 11:29 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ May 17 2019, 02:27 PM)
Certainly, the processor makes a huge difference on the capability. Air is not here or there. The processor is just slightly better than 12-inch one.

Hi sifus, I wonder why my newly bought MacBook Air 2018 will have fan issue which quite loudly suddenly when I using it. But I didnt run very heavy task. LOL. Isn’t possible that I bought a defect product ?? And also the Mac sometimes is not responsive when I press the touch of button to switch it on . Lol !!!
ericlaiys
post May 23 2019, 08:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,464 posts

QUOTE(Ryanang @ May 22 2019, 11:29 PM)
Hi sifus, I wonder why my newly bought MacBook Air 2018 will have fan issue which quite loudly suddenly when I using it. But I didnt run very heavy task. LOL. Isn’t possible that I bought a defect product ?? And also the Mac sometimes is not responsive when I press the touch of button to switch it on . Lol !!!
check on utility which app that causing it to run. mine is onedrive. therefore, i disable it from run.
kraziekd
post May 29 2019, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

First time macbook air user here.. wanted to use my harddisk at the macbook air.. but I read that we need to format the harddisk into exFat to be able to use with Mac OS? My question is that.. if I format it into exFat.. can I still use the harddisk on windows?
ericlaiys
post May 29 2019, 03:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,464 posts

QUOTE(kraziekd @ May 29 2019, 01:54 PM)
First time macbook air user here.. wanted to use my harddisk at the macbook air.. but I read that we need to format the harddisk into exFat to be able to use with Mac OS? My question is that.. if I format it into exFat.. can I still use the harddisk on windows?
yes
kraziekd
post May 29 2019, 04:17 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

QUOTE(ericlaiys @ May 29 2019, 03:54 PM)
yes
ah ok.. thx.. was confused by this thumbup.gif
ychwang
post Jun 2 2019, 05:45 PM

Little *
4,607 posts

QUOTE(Ryanang @ May 22 2019, 11:29 PM)
if u using bootcamp to run windows, please make sure the power option is set to normal, dun set to high performance.
i was having the same problem before accidnetly set to performance mode and the CPU mhz stay above 1.6GHZ all the time, causing the heat generated and high fan noise

cucumber
post Jun 2 2019, 06:35 PM

Enthusiast
779 posts

It's 2019 and let's be honest, with so many windows options out there do you think the 2018 macbook air is worth the asking price of RM5800?

Is the Mac OS really that much better?

For those who bought it, do you like it? Love it? Regret it?
TSwestlife
post Jun 2 2019, 07:23 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,302 posts

QUOTE(cucumber @ Jun 2 2019, 06:35 PM)
It's 2019 and let's be honest, with so many windows options out there do you think the 2018 macbook air is worth the asking price of RM5800?

MacBook Pro is a better option.
ericlaiys
post Jun 2 2019, 08:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,464 posts

QUOTE(cucumber @ Jun 2 2019, 06:35 PM)

my feedback on macbook pro
1. Using windows since day 1. Take a long decision when move to macbook. Price is more expensive than normal laptop

After using for more than 7 month
1. Still love it. no regret
2. No more nightmare on windows update & virus
3. No issue on app compatibility. Worse case run on vmware fusion as windows VM.So far only 1app (MS visio)
4. Battery life is better. Last longer than windows
5. USB C is better. Moving all my hardware to USB C
6. macOS much better than Windows OS. Seldom or almost near zero of hang experience
7. Performance is much better even low spec compare to powerful windows.
8. Still able to play my games such as cities skyline & total war: 3 kingdom on mac.
9. Fast boot

As conclusion, it is not hardware matter most. It 's the MacOS experience. It is far more greater than Windows.

cucumber
post Jun 3 2019, 11:37 AM

Enthusiast
779 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Jun 2 2019, 07:23 PM)
MacBook Pro is a better option.
Thanks. I understand that the MBP is more powerful. Several reasons that made me lean towards the MBA
- better battery life
- not as hot & probably not as noisy as MBP
- slightly lighter (not a big deal) but I do like the wedge design
- dislike the touch bar
- cheaper

I'm not going to use it as my main machine as I have a desktop... will be using it as a portable device mainly for word & excel spreadsheets, you know... cafes, office & on my bed/couch.
cucumber
post Jun 3 2019, 11:42 AM

Enthusiast
779 posts

QUOTE(ericlaiys @ Jun 2 2019, 08:27 PM)
my feedback on macbook pro
1. Using windows since day 1. Take a long decision when move to macbook. Price is more expensive than normal laptop

After using for more than 7 month
1. Still love it. no regret
2. No more nightmare on windows update & virus
3. No issue on app compatibility. Worse case run on vmware fusion as windows VM.So far only 1app (MS visio)
4. Battery life is better. Last longer than windows
5. USB C is better. Moving all my hardware to USB C
6. macOS much better than Windows OS. Seldom or almost near zero of hang experience
7. Performance is much better even low spec compare to powerful windows.
8. Still able to play my games such as cities skyline & total war: 3 kingdom on mac.
9. Fast boot

As conclusion, it is not hardware matter most. It 's the MacOS experience. It is far more greater than Windows.
Awesome. Thanks for your feedback. I do agree windows update is annoying, but i haven't gotten any virus issues in windows 10. Windows 10 has been quite reliable for me for the past few years.

TSwestlife
post Jun 3 2019, 02:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,302 posts

QUOTE(cucumber @ Jun 3 2019, 11:42 AM)
Awesome. Thanks for your feedback. I do agree windows update is annoying, but i haven't gotten any virus issues in windows 10. Windows 10 has been quite reliable for me for the past few years.
windows has windows defender built-in since windows 8. the virus or malware are way way way more minimum nowadays.
ychwang
post Jun 7 2019, 01:49 AM

Little *
4,607 posts

QUOTE(markgrynko1472 @ Jun 4 2019, 02:41 PM)
Definitely agree with this. When I was researching 2 months ago Pros & cons from both MBA 2018 and MBA 2019, there are far more complaints on the MBP... and I don't want that. Like you, I just uttilize it for light computer use, so it tisn't that much of a problem. I got friend who bought MBPs but preferred the 2017 one than the 2018.

My MBA 2018 has been with me for 2 months now and I'm pretty happy with it.
and dun forget, expensive flexgate only affect MBP especially 2016/17 touchbar, but not with MBA.
So far, my fan doesnt run at all unless i bootup with PD. the CPU is more than enuf to run, unless u going for video editing.
normal script coding or websurfing, cpu of MBA is more than enuf

If unlucky to kena flexgate, changing display will cost u as much as USD1000/RM4k.

This post has been edited by ychwang: Jun 7 2019, 01:51 AM
TSwestlife
post Jun 7 2019, 08:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,302 posts

QUOTE(markgrynko1472 @ Jun 4 2019, 02:41 PM)
Definitely agree with this. When I was researching 2 months ago Pros & cons from both MBA 2018 and MBA 2019, there are far more complaints on the MBP... and I don't want that. Like you, I just uttilize it for light computer use, so it tisn't that much of a problem. I got friend who bought MBPs but preferred the 2017 one than the 2018.

My MBA 2018 has been with me for 2 months now and I'm pretty happy with it.
QUOTE(ychwang @ Jun 7 2019, 01:49 AM)
and dun forget, expensive flexgate only affect MBP especially 2016/17 touchbar, but not with MBA.
So far, my fan doesnt run at all unless i bootup with PD. the CPU is more than enuf to run, unless u going for video editing.
normal script coding or websurfing, cpu of MBA is more than enuf

If unlucky to kena flexgate, changing display will cost u as much as USD1000/RM4k.
No matter keyboard or flexgate issues, apple will actually repair for free, I dun think it is anything that needs to pay from own pocket.

I own the 2017 MacBook Pro. So far no keyboard or flexgate issues yet. But my MacBook Pro battery got swollen which it can not close completely. I sent in my MacBook Pro to Apple, they just replace the TOP cover and battery for free. This is the reason why I choose only Apple product despite the premium paid for. My warranty is already over since my MacBook Pro is 2 years old.

Attached Image

Attached Image

If becos of this reason, therefore choosing a MacBook Air I dun think it is a wise thing to do. After all, the price difference between the two are not significantly more by a lot a lot. MBP has better hardware and display, it can certainly allow one to use the machine for a lot longer period of time.
tzxsean
post Jun 8 2019, 08:09 PM

Lonely Driver
5,200 posts

My mid 2012 13" MBA's battery is at terrible state now (just replaced it approx 1.5 year ago - done by outside shop).

Currently using MacOS Mojave and I can't really stand the loud noise from using Safari with lots of tabs opened. Not sure if it's OS issue or it's time to upgrade my MBA.

Anyway, I tried to "research" the MBA vs MPP vs MB a few days ago, and it's really expensive (cheapest model being 13" MBA at RM4,142, which I'm not sure when it was released) compared to the RM3.6k I forked out years ago.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm just a light user with no need for photoshop, etc. I was thinking to see if the new MacOS Catalina will get rid of the loud noise issue and wait to see if Apple is going to release a new MBA / MBP / MB with "new" keyboard that has no issue.
TSwestlife
post Jun 8 2019, 11:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,302 posts

QUOTE(tzxsean @ Jun 8 2019, 08:09 PM)
My mid 2012 13" MBA's battery is at terrible state now (just replaced it approx 1.5 year ago - done by outside shop).

Currently using MacOS Mojave and I can't really stand the loud noise from using Safari with lots of tabs opened. Not sure if it's OS issue or it's time to upgrade my MBA.

Anyway, I tried to "research" the MBA vs MPP vs MB a few days ago, and it's really expensive (cheapest model being 13" MBA at RM4,142, which I'm not sure when it was released) compared to the RM3.6k I forked out years ago.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm just a light user with no need for photoshop, etc. I was thinking to see if the new MacOS Catalina will get rid of the loud noise issue and wait to see if Apple is going to release a new MBA / MBP / MB with "new" keyboard that has no issue.
MacBook Pro is at its lowest for 2015 models. That time the cheapest model is almost same price as iphone.
Every since 2016 Apple redesigned the MacBook Pro, price has increased significantly.

Apple has changed the materials for keyboards of 2019 MacBook Pro, by rite it should solve or reduce the chance for the known keyboard problem. Dun expect any major changes until the next MacBook Pro redesign which I think it will still take at least 2 to 3 years before Apple will do so. MacBook is still very little in terms of sales figures for Apple overall sales.

MacBook Pro should still be a good choice for u. The processor in MacBook Pro will allow u to use it for long time to come, ur 2012 can be used for so Long, u should understand why it is a good choice.

no point going for MacBook Air.
tzxsean
post Jun 9 2019, 11:03 AM

Lonely Driver
5,200 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Jun 8 2019, 11:05 PM)
MacBook Pro is at its lowest for 2015 models. That time the cheapest model is almost same price as iphone.
Every since 2016 Apple redesigned the MacBook Pro, price has increased significantly.

Apple has changed the materials for keyboards of 2019 MacBook Pro, by rite it should solve or reduce the chance for the known keyboard problem. Dun expect any major changes until the next MacBook Pro redesign which I think it will still take at least 2 to 3 years before Apple will do so. MacBook is still very little in terms of sales figures for Apple overall sales.

MacBook Pro should still be a good choice for u. The processor in MacBook Pro will allow u to use it for long time to come, ur 2012 can be used for so Long, u should understand why it is a good choice.

no point going for MacBook Air.
If I'm not mistaken, the new keyboard you mentioned earlier for 2019 MBP is only for touch bar model but I don't plan to get the one with touch bar (I feel that is just a gimmick).

With that being said, is 2018 MBP still a viable choice? I'm contemplating to get my battery replacement from authorised service provider, if it's not too costly where I feel it's being to get a new laptop instead. If I remember correctly, I was charged somewhere around 500-800 previously for the battery replacement.

23 Pages « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:47 PM