Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Triumph Street Triple RS vs Ducati Monster 821

views

TSlittlewing
post Oct 26 2018, 03:36 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
246 posts

Hi Guys, I’m in the process of gathering information on the bikes in consideration below and if anyone has any experience with these two brands, it would be most helpful on supporting my decision.
Bikes in consideration:
1. Triumph Street Triple RS (2018) - Love: engine sound, ride quality; Hate: the look of the front lights
2. Ducati Monster 821 or possibly 1200s – Love: the looks, engine sound; Hate: reliability

PS: I’m not considering the MT09 or Z900.

Questions:

1. How is the service cost and quality of service provided by these brands? Which brand has the better after sales service and customer service?
2. Maintenance cost – how does the two brands compare?
3. Reliability – are there any reliability issues for the Triumph Street Triple model? Understand Ducati’s are quite famous for problems? Any experiences to share?

Usage: Recreational (weekend use), occasional track day

Thank you.

This post has been edited by littlewing: Oct 30 2018, 07:22 PM
basilisk
post Oct 28 2018, 01:15 AM

30 posts

ducati pj test ride 27 + 28 oct. sales fler from side will serve your needs better....
mypie
post Oct 29 2018, 06:51 PM

40 posts

Ducati owner here. 1200cc clocking 45000km. 1st suggestion, if you go for naked bike, don’t go 1200cc. It just a waste of power. While the bike can go beyond 200kmph, your body can’t keep up. You will get exhausted post riding.
Now for your first question. Got 3 maintenance service, regular oil service every 5000km, annual service to tighten the screw and wire harness. The other one is desmo service every 24k or 30k depending on your type of engine. Don’t skip and don’t go cheap because it will affect your question no 3… reliability. Annual service sound stupid but this is where the heart of ducati rely on… the sensor. One sensor error will make your bike stone cold. And the funny part, annual service is the cheapest and people (me included) try to skip this as there is no real reason to fix something that not broken… yet, until it happens in the middle of nowhere.
Regarding the maintenance cost, it’s not much difference than others in the same class… except for the desmo service. You can go to Naza PJ, Welly Sungai Buloh or Ducati Mount Kiara (not sure still exist or not) for an authorize service and few other cheaper option after your warranty expire.

SUSskyblu3
post Oct 29 2018, 09:03 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

Do you use your Ducati daily ride to work through the city traffic?

Being aircooled will the engine get really hot?

Ducati monster was in my list, but ditched the idea as I'm using the bike daily to work. Scared the engine will Kwan sooi.
TSlittlewing
post Oct 30 2018, 09:31 AM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(mypie @ Oct 29 2018, 06:51 PM)
Ducati owner here. 1200cc clocking 45000km. 1st suggestion, if you go for naked bike, don’t go 1200cc. It just a waste of power. While the bike can go beyond 200kmph, your body can’t keep up. You will get exhausted post riding.
Now for your first question. Got 3 maintenance service, regular oil service every 5000km, annual service to tighten the screw and wire harness. The other one is desmo service every 24k or 30k depending on your type of engine. Don’t skip and don’t go cheap because it will affect your question no 3… reliability. Annual service sound stupid but this is where the heart of ducati rely on… the sensor. One sensor error will make your bike stone cold. And the funny part, annual service is the cheapest and people (me included) try to skip this as there is no real reason to fix something that not broken… yet, until it happens in the middle of nowhere.
Regarding the maintenance cost, it’s not much difference than others in the same class… except for the desmo service. You can go to Naza PJ, Welly Sungai Buloh or Ducati Mount Kiara (not sure still exist or not) for an authorize service and few other cheaper option after your warranty expire.
Thank you for sharing your experience on what it’s like to own a Ducati. Yes I’ve always heard that ducati’s need abit more tlc. But so far I’m leaning more towards the triumph.
mypie
post Oct 30 2018, 10:55 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Oct 29 2018, 09:03 PM)
Do you use your Ducati daily ride to work through the city traffic?

Being aircooled will the engine get really hot?

Ducati monster was in my list, but ditched the idea as I'm using the bike daily to work.  Scared the engine will Kwan sooi.
Yes, it is my daily ride whenever possible. But I'm not live in KL and my office is just a stone throw away. That being said, ducati is obviously running hotter than average but I believe new ducati moster is liquid cooled.
zul_akmar85
post Oct 30 2018, 11:29 AM

6 posts

I am a proud owner of '17 Street Triple RS. I will try to answer your questions at my best knowledge and base on my experience. First of all, your thread title says 'Speed' instead of 'Street'. So my answer will base on Street.

1. How is the service cost and quality of service provided by these brands? Which brand has the better after sales service and customer service?
- minor service cost <RM500. For semi synthetic EO, it cost even less.
- i cannot comment much on QoS since this is my first ever big bike I own. There were 1 or 2 mistakes they made, but no big issue. Overall I am happy with them so far.
- service interval. 5000km for semi synt, 10000km for fully. Like I mentioned above, it cost less than RM500 depending which type EO you decide to use.
- major service every 20,000km. I believe this is the time they do valve clearance check. I am not entirely certain what else they do since I haven't got any experience yet. In term of major service cost, I estimate around or less than RM1500 every time.
3. Reliability – are there any reliability issues for the Triumph Speed Triple model? Understand Ducati’s are quite famous for problems? Any experiences to share?
- honestly there are known major and minor issues with this bike. There are few unfortunate owners I know having major problem with their engine. But Triumph honor their warranty by replacing it with a new one (after sale service). As for me, my bike is running well so far despite doing track riding almost every month.

This post has been edited by zul_akmar85: Oct 30 2018, 12:10 PM
SUSskyblu3
post Oct 30 2018, 12:42 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(mypie @ Oct 30 2018, 10:55 AM)
Yes, it is my daily ride whenever possible. But I'm not live in KL and my office is just a stone throw away. That being said, ducati is obviously running hotter than average but I believe new ducati moster is liquid cooled.
Smaller cc Monsters are aircooled
TSlittlewing
post Oct 30 2018, 07:19 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

QUOTE(zul_akmar85 @ Oct 30 2018, 11:29 AM)
I am a proud owner of '17 Street Triple RS. I will try to answer your questions at my best knowledge and base on my experience. First of all, your thread title says 'Speed' instead of 'Street'. So my answer will base on Street.

- minor service cost <RM500. For semi synthetic EO, it cost even less.
- i cannot comment much on QoS since this is my first ever big bike I own. There were 1 or 2 mistakes they made, but no big issue. Overall I am happy with them so far.
- service interval. 5000km for semi synt, 10000km for fully. Like I mentioned above, it cost less than RM500 depending which type EO you decide to use.
- major service every 20,000km. I believe this is the time they do valve clearance check. I am not entirely certain what else they do since I haven't got any experience yet. In term of major service cost, I estimate around or less than RM1500 every time.
3. Reliability – are there any reliability issues for the Triumph Speed Triple model? Understand Ducati’s are quite famous for problems? Any experiences to share?
- honestly there are known major and minor issues with this bike. There are few unfortunate owners I know having major problem with their engine. But Triumph honor their warranty by replacing it with a new one (after sale service). As for me, my bike is running well so far despite doing track riding almost every month.
Sry i meant street triple RS (not speed). Have changed the title.

thanks for the sharing bro. excellent stuff.

As for the known major issues, i think every car/bike has a few bad apples but if the number of reports are higher than the norm then i think its worth looking further into. just going through youtube, i notice for ducati's there are alot of people are complaining abt the bike refusing to start, electrical issues, frequent engine warning light, etc and therefore being labled as unreliable. Could you pls let me know what are the known issues for the Triumph and i can do more research on it. offhand i see more + reliability reviews on the Triumph. thank you. My plan is to keep the bike for as long as possible.

im guessing the Street Triple will run cooler than the monster 821 as its liquid cooled? should be good for trackdays devil.gif

zul_akmar85
post Oct 31 2018, 12:26 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(littlewing @ Oct 30 2018, 07:19 PM)
Sry i meant street triple RS (not speed). Have changed the title.

thanks for the sharing bro. excellent stuff.

As for the known major issues, i think every car/bike has a few bad apples but if the number of reports are higher than the norm then i think its worth looking further into. just going through youtube, i notice for ducati's there are alot of people are complaining abt the bike refusing to start, electrical issues, frequent engine warning light, etc and therefore being labled as unreliable. Could you pls let me know what are the known issues for the Triumph and i can do more research on it. offhand i see more + reliability reviews on the Triumph. thank you. My plan is to keep the bike for as long as possible.

im guessing the Street Triple will run cooler than the monster 821 as its liquid cooled? should be good for trackdays  devil.gif
1. Left switchcube. When there is moisture, it will get haywire. Happened to me couple of times before while riding in heavy rain. None of the controls work. But the bike can still be ridden. Let the switchcube dry and it will work again.
2. Shim bucket issue. You can refer to this Reddit discussion here for more details. Reddit
3. Clutch grinding issue. Not entirely sure what the root cause, but I only heard 1 case so far.

In terms of engine temperature, it can be noticeably hotter under a very hot weather (>40celcius ambient temperature). I strongly suggest you to go test ride both bikes. It may help you in making your decision.
fllee520
post Aug 29 2019, 06:34 PM

38 posts

Almost a year for this tread. What bike you get at last. I'm street triple owner here.
busyman
post Sep 6 2019, 03:00 AM

Regular
1,458 posts

Used to ride triumph Street triple 2010 model
A very good bike with zero issue. Very reliable.

But I always wanted to try Ducati, so I would vote for Ducati smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.09    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:59 AM