Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

interns need some help..., struggling hard

views

TSArifHaz
post Oct 19 2018, 04:47 AM, updated 6y ago

47 posts

Hello and greetings to all

i dont know even if i can post kind of things here. if this not suitable maybe tell me the suitable forum section

so, i am currently is a final year student in Bachelor in Culinary Art. and doing my 6 month compulsory internship and i am really struggling to completing this internship, i am drain mentally to keep my spirit up and desire.
i know my job as a cook and path of career as cook is not a easy job. it will be physical every single day standing, lifting, doing the job non stop 8 hours. and mental power to keep focus on the job.

this is not my first time to do an internship btw. this time is the third time i did it. so basically i already work at 3 5 star hotel. one of them are made 100% by malaysian 2 of them with international title. Out of all 3, current one is the one i hated the most and i have another 3 and half month to go.

Why do i hate this one? simple, i am do feel like to be abuse by the hotel hard and its getting ridiculous every single day.

1. the kitchen is massively under staffing. including me there are more then 15 interns, coming from a lot of the university. what i can say we are the cheap labor that they have. being Rm 200 per month and to add some salt with it, with any black and white they cut our allowance for epf, which i already inquiry the EPF through email that they cant do that. and i will be going to check my EPF account later.

2. some of the past or some of current interns do work more then 8 hours a day. FYI this hotel is quite different as their staff need to work 9 and half hours per day and they getting 2 day of rest day. like the office work lah. but intern do not have the option for that. we work 8 hours a day with 1 day off. for me that piss me off from the beginning of intern i did 2 hours of overtime, i believe only 5 times that i did get to go home nearly the time i should finish up my shift.

3. majority of the interns are very young. and alot of them from same university they did complaint to their lecture about finishing very late some of them not able to go for break. and their lecture did complaint to HR and the HR also do sent the complaint to the Exec chef. so these kids will be going home on time every single day. one extra hours of working they already piss so much even though not even 5pm yet. they start to be not i need mood their working is messy and left all for me to clean it up or finish their work. i believe they never understand this line of job that require a long hours of job every single day. if you able to go home early just call yourself very lucky. that bring to my next important point

4. zero benefit, zero compensation for us interns student do really make me feel like cheaper labor then the banglas and nepals. our extra hours no overtime being paid and cannot claim the extra hours for off day. as for some hotel did do that if you do extra hours not more then 4 hours a day if the total of extra hours is 8 hours that you able to accumulate you can claim a day off. for us interns nothing is being provided i believe this also making the others interns dont have any desire to stay for extra learning and of course complete the extra job that require time to time.

yes, i do understand doing internship is the way to get experience but do we deserve this? they expecting us to work like a staff but when we start to complaining they start calling us "just interns" "lucky to be here, we gambling taking you in" "your mistake gonna lead to more wastage to resources". i dont see any law that really helping us or protecting us. my past experience also saw how bad this hotel actually running and no wonder a lot of staff resign.

What to do? nearly every day 10 hours a day, saw staff that coming after me coming to work and they the one going home first. saw other interns going home exact time every day. really hurt me. what bad is i believe the HR kinda care and the are the one like no power. they say if any problem come see them. but nothing is being solve. no extra compensation, no benefit for our extra work. what is really bad is the staff get the service point thus the more busy the hotel with function the high the amount of money they gonna get. while we interns stuck with Rm 177.20 per month

sorry for rambling alot, sad.gif
sweet_pez
post Oct 19 2018, 10:32 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(ArifHaz @ Oct 19 2018, 04:47 AM)
Hello and greetings to all

i dont know even if i can post kind of things here. if this not suitable maybe tell me the suitable forum section

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

sorry for rambling alot,  sad.gif
I think you need to change your mentality when you look at internship. As an intern, you're a trainee meaning you're there to learn and experience the industrial work. The seniors will need to teach you. They take time off their work to teach, guide and correct you. The Hotel provides a training ground for you and you're compensated with a meal, as well as a basic allowance. You need to stop comparing yourself against a permanent staff working there because that's not how it works. Yes, interns are "cheap labour" if you decided to look at it that way instead of finding ways to learn and ask more questions.

1. Of course if the Hotel is not paying your EPF or allowance, it's a matter that needs sorting out.

2. This is based on the Hotel's policy so why are you angry? I'm sure they explained this to you during your interview, or when you go there. You can always leave or change hotel if you're not happy. Why didn't you say anything on the first day of work?

3. It's simple, while you may leave late - it's not your job to clean their mess. Tell them straight up to clean their own stuffs/ workstation/ mess before leaving. Otherwise inform one of the Chefs about it. It's time to learn to take up responsibilities.

4. Of course there's no OT and no benefits for Intern. You're not even a permanent staff, why should OT be paid? If your comparison to Nepalese labours make you feel better, go ahead but stop wallowing in self-pity about OT. Who is asking OT from you? You are free to LEAVE ON TIME when the your shift ends. However when you stick around to do more, the staffs take it for granted that you're there to continue doing your work. It's on your own expense.

If you care so much about the OT, then leave on time. Stop caring what the HR thinks since they can't do anything to help your situation.
Otherwise if you're willing, then stay back and stop complaining about not being paid.

The whole idea behind internship is that they're giving you a place to learn, practice, be guided etc. It's on-the-job training. It's industrial experience and something Hospitality students need to go through. It's also an opportunity to gain employment at the establishment they're working at - so if one is good, they will be hired straightaway after ending internship.

Don't forget the seniors also need to spend time explaining things to you. There are so many newbies that they have to keep saying the same thing again and again, and it's not easy. You'll need to stop with this "victim mentality". If the kitchen is too hard, then it's not a place for you. Look for a 9-6pm office job.

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Oct 19 2018, 10:34 AM
TSArifHaz
post Oct 20 2018, 03:01 AM

47 posts

wow such a great and big slap to my face. thank you sir..

Tbh they did not explain anything about compensation of OT or about if you done the extra hours during the interview and the interview was so fast. the chef ask me about a couple question about food knowledge and i am being accepted. and he also said about the kitchen is always busy so i though busy kitchen should be a lot of business so there should be some OT benefit doing so. and i am very wrong. Yes, i do believe its also my fault not asking them about this because past my experience we interns do get benefit staying late and of course with good reason. that really make me quite disappointed how easy to get cheap labor like this. and other dept in the hotel able to claim hour if there OT tho. just in the kitchen no benefit at all.

majority of time i cant leave the work like that especially when its quite busy. i feel very irresponsible.

talking about the senior explaining things to the newbies is hard and needed time, yes i am also acting as the senior of that department need to explain all the new interns to that department and teach them what my senior teach me. i understand the hardness and repeating the same thing again and again to them every single time especially when its the time to go home. They start to be they don't care anymore.

on the bright side, all the staff in my current department do really appreciate that i rarely asking to leave early, doing all the extra work for basically free. and because of that i do learn much more then others interns. my knowledge getting better, my skill improving very well. the staff also let me do believe me more. the chef also already asking me if i would like to work there. and yes no doubt to have that hotel in my resume will be great..

its quite harsh there are not really a law that protecting us the interns right? because its short term. and quite harsh for a company this great kinda exploiting this kind of things. i try my best to stop the "victim mentality" and i love the job, i love the smile of the guest when they satisfy eating the food that i prepared. well heck 9-6pm office job also very harsh sometimes.

Well thank you very much just another couple month need to brace it like a man and i do believe it will benefit me later on.
Eurobeater
post Oct 20 2018, 08:05 AM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

Suddenly, after hearing all these stories. My internships in an office sounds so much better. I always thought things couldn't get any worse with my intern allowance of just RM700 s month with no other benefits.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:29 AM