Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to deal with overly enthusiastic boss

views

TSkimtek
post Oct 19 2018, 12:16 AM, updated 6y ago

18 posts

My boss is overly enthusiastic with diff types of problems.. he will find ways to improve things (whether it is feasible or not). This is not a main peoblem.. the main issue is, he gives order and expect us, to be his minions to execute.. the reason being he is not with our department most of the time.. and he never accept a no as he expects us to execute according to his way. Clearly, this has created some sort of chaotic moment as we have to accomodate his request.

What i hate most is that he will give the order, and then sit in front of his computer doing his own things..

Shld i leave or stay to learn few tricks from him ( he is a smart guy but arrogant guy thou..)
patricktoh
post Oct 19 2018, 09:17 AM

Casual
462 posts

Don't ever think of changing how your boss works. It is you to change how to accommodate boss or move out. This is my blunt comment.
sweet_pez
post Oct 19 2018, 10:11 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(kimtek @ Oct 19 2018, 12:16 AM)
My boss is overly enthusiastic with diff types of problems.. he will find ways to improve things (whether it is feasible or not). This is not a main peoblem.. the main issue is, he gives order and expect us, to be his minions to execute.. the reason being he is not with our department most of the time.. and he never accept a no as he expects us to execute according to his way. Clearly, this has created some sort of chaotic moment as we have to accomodate his request.

What i hate most is that he will give the order, and then sit in front of his computer doing his own things..

Shld i leave or stay to learn few tricks from him ( he is a smart guy but arrogant guy thou..)
The problem in most cases is because the staffs rarely rebel against his requests and always end up accommodating it.

Whenever he comes up with an idea, ask him how it will be executed, who will do the execution and what sort of result this will bring. Also tell him that you and the other colleagues are currently working on x, y and z projects and have your hands full. Suggest to him that you all can get his idea running but AFTER you're all done with the important tasks, meaning whatever less urgent will have to wait.

Whether to stay or leave it's your own decision. If you believe there's career prospect, growth and learning opportunity in the company, there's no reason to leave.

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Oct 19 2018, 10:12 AM
knuckles04
post Oct 19 2018, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(patricktoh @ Oct 19 2018, 09:17 AM)
Don't ever think of changing how your boss works. It is you to change how to accommodate boss or move out. This is my blunt comment.
Agree to this.
Should learn to accommodate. However, the boss should know what is going on too, so communication is vital. If you feel overwhelmed, he has to know and why.
barista
post Oct 19 2018, 04:11 PM

I want to retire
871 posts

Boss also need to answer to his bosses. He does this so he has something to show to his bosses.
Topace111
post Oct 19 2018, 05:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

The thing is if you can find a better job outside, why stay? If your opportunities have not come, you should maximize your learning (or claims) with your current organization. Learning and development consist of taking your boss task and solving it for them. Doing enough you will get promoted (if your boss recognize and the culture/system accommodate). If they don’t recognize you, time to find your next job.
ViktorJ
post Oct 19 2018, 05:17 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

I don't think think my method is exactly applicable...

But I have never hesitated to argue with all my bosses since last time.

Gotta admit, there were times when the volume reach really fucking high, but we always managed to find a working synergy eventually.

This was across multiple companies.
ViktorJ
post Oct 19 2018, 05:22 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

QUOTE(SonsOfAnarchy @ Oct 19 2018, 05:18 PM)
1 day may backfire ohwai
Luckily never did. Take a look at my avatar and you'll get an idea how we were acting.

Today no bosses left to punch. Only partners nia vmad.gif
ViktorJ
post Oct 19 2018, 05:25 PM

Dancy Drinky Doggo
1,004 posts

As someone mentioned, if you have a better prospect outside, then you should already have been gone.

If you think you can learn from a smart boss-guy, then you should definitely stay.

To survive in that environment, you probably gotta learn to plotek and atacc when needed. Also known as politik.

The world is full of shitty bosses. At least you have a smart one.

This post has been edited by ViktorJ: Oct 19 2018, 05:25 PM
AvenueX
post Oct 19 2018, 08:31 PM

Getting Started
241 posts

You may think your boss is very "dor yu" and do unnecessary things. But have you stopped and think why he's the boss?

I used to think like you too but I humbled myself and look at the bigger picture.

He may be on to something, try to observe and accommodate to his requests.
Blofeld
post Oct 20 2018, 10:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

Has he ever give examples on how his order to be executed?

If no, that means he doesn't even know how it can be executed. That means there's no proper leading/guidance/mentoring from him.

That's the problem usually when the boss/owner doesn't have the experience at the operational level in the first place.

Like how I heard one story of a businessman (he's a lawyer/doctor or something) who started an IT firm. In the end after a few months, everyone left his company. I don't need to guess the reason why they left.

That's the problem when bosses give orders when they themselves are unaware whether it is feasible or not. Ppl will just leave.

Even if you hire a contractor and ask him to do something unfeasible, no one will take up your business.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0142sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:43 PM