Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Flea problem (from neighbours cats), Need advice and help

views

TSghostcommand
post Oct 18 2018, 09:20 PM, updated 6y ago

On my way
660 posts

Hi all, about two months ago my dog was at the vet and the vet noticed a cat flea on him, and asked me if I had a cat. I only have one dog, my dog is a 14 year old beagle mix.

My rich neighbours are mostly Malay, they like to keep cats and they let them roam around freely, sometimes I even find cats sleeping on top of my car. I don't think my neighbours actually bother looking after the cats well, like making sure their cats do not have fleas. My dog goes on daily walks and I'm sure fleas will jump on him because of the roaming cats. Just 2 days ago I noticed a lot more fleas on my dog, because he was suddenly scratching a lot. Was shocked to see a lot of black flea dirt, which is basically dried blood around my dog's underbelly and groin area. My dog has never had a flea infestation before, only some ticks picked up at a dog boarding center.

I immediately bought Frontline combo spot on, but it doesn't seem to be working after 2 days... I also put food grade diatomaceous earth on my dog, rubbing in the powder into the skin, but it seems like everytime I check I can catch 2 fleas minimum. Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks for any advice and help.

This post has been edited by ghostcommand: Oct 18 2018, 09:21 PM
CanonLee
post Oct 19 2018, 09:42 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

i believe you bath your dog frequently. Usually a thorough grooming will kill most of the fleas. After that, you can apply spot-on.
SUSeksk
post Oct 19 2018, 09:46 AM

On my way
586 posts

unless u get rid of the source of the problem, ie cats.. then your dog will just get infected again and again.. i suggest you speak to you neighbours about their cats... if they tak endah you, then better call the local council to round out the "strays"
TSghostcommand
post Oct 19 2018, 06:38 PM

On my way
660 posts

I bathe my dog once a week, it's only the last week I have seen so many cat fleas on my dog. Before this, I never found one. Maybe some neighbour's cat got an infestation and is now causing problems.

There is no way I can get rid of the cats. My neighbours are all Malay and love the cats, they are not strays, so I don't think MBPJ will do anything. Only the neighbour on my left really takes all steps to ensure good pet hygiene, the rest don't care, just let the cats roam, only ask their maid to feed the cat. I even found cat poo (which was really smelly wtf) in my garden twice over the last 2 weeks.

This post has been edited by ghostcommand: Oct 19 2018, 06:39 PM
pipedream
post Oct 20 2018, 09:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

my dog has fleas infestation too previously, no matter what we tried, couldn't get rid of the fleas in my house because the source: fucking cats roaming around in apartment wasn't removed

after that problem only solved by moving.

now i really phobia of cats, kept my dog away from every stray cat i see.

id take tick infestation over fleas everyday. fleas are cunts because they bite humans and leaves itchy weeping wounds
TSghostcommand
post Oct 20 2018, 01:21 PM

On my way
660 posts

QUOTE(pipedream @ Oct 20 2018, 09:53 AM)
my dog has fleas infestation too previously, no matter what we tried, couldn't get rid of the fleas in my house because the source: fucking cats roaming around in apartment wasn't removed

after that problem only solved by moving.

now i really phobia of cats, kept my dog away from every stray cat i see.

id take tick infestation over fleas everyday. fleas are cunts because they bite humans and leaves itchy weeping wounds
Damn your problem sounds worse than mine.. The cats have been roaming around forever, but it's just recently my dog has a flea problem, he doesn't go near any cats, has daily walks and weekly baths.

The cat fleas usually won't bite humans, they prefer cats/dogs. I did have one flea try to bite me, but I could feel it and caught it immediately.

Does anyone know if Frontline can be useless vs cat fleas? It doesn't seem to be working very well on my dog, since when I check I can still find a few fleas.
pipedream
post Oct 20 2018, 03:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

QUOTE(ghostcommand @ Oct 20 2018, 02:21 PM)
Damn your problem sounds worse than mine.. The cats have been roaming around forever, but it's just recently my dog has a flea problem, he doesn't go near any cats, has daily walks and weekly baths.

The cat fleas usually won't bite humans, they prefer cats/dogs. I did have one flea try to bite me, but I could feel it and caught it immediately.

Does anyone know if Frontline can be useless vs cat fleas? It doesn't seem to be working very well on my dog, since when I check I can still find a few fleas.
frontline works by inhibiting the growth of the parasite, it does not immediately kill it

also, shave your dog before applying

dishwasher
post Oct 21 2018, 12:43 AM

heterochromatic babe
850 posts

Stuff like Frontline and Advantix have gotten less and less effective. At this point a lot of fleas and ticks are basically immune to the chemicals used in spray ons. My dog had a severe tick problem until I gave her Nexgard. I was reluctant at first, since I heard there could be side effects, but so far so good, and the ticks are finally gone.

But yeah, if the cats are bringing fleas, unless you get rid of them they'll just keep reinfecting your dog.
ReWeR
post Oct 21 2018, 01:01 AM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

I bought flea spray/mites from lazada before. I think you can get one and spray on your dog before you go out so flea doesn't like to jump on your dog.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 AM