Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Being a Expat, Title Sums it All

views

Pete the great
post Dec 17 2018, 03:23 PM

On my way
519 posts

I was once offered to work in Khartoum Sudan as an Expat.

Good salary in USD.

But Sudan ??? No thanks.
garlicpesto
post Dec 18 2018, 02:47 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

How'd you guys get so lucky being offered as an Expat? I studied abroad and tried so hard to find a job to continue my life abroad but was forced to come back since a finance and marketing major was not in demand.. Now im just a fresh grad looking for jobs locally..
tishaban
post Dec 18 2018, 10:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(garlicpesto @ Dec 18 2018, 02:47 AM)
How'd you guys get so lucky being offered as an Expat? I studied abroad and tried so hard to find a job to continue my life abroad but was forced to come back since a finance and marketing major was not in demand.. Now im just a fresh grad looking for jobs locally..
To be clear if you move to a different country on your own, then look for a job you're technically not an expat. If you apply for a different branch in a different country and you're paid like those locals, then technically you're not an expat either.

In the companies I've worked for an expat moves to a different country because the company wants him/her to go there and is willing to pay extra to cover the hardship and other costs associated with the move. An expat offer for example covers the following

- hardship allowance
- if the company didn't do so already, normalizing your salary to international level ie you get paid whatever your peers get paid globally, not based on Malaysian salary
- allowances for upscale apartment, furnishings, car/driver
- free international schools for kids up to 18 years old
- round trip air tickets once per year for the family (unfortunately in economy class only)
- services of a tax consultant who will manage all taxes in both Malaysia and the expat country
- transportation services for your stuff
- repatriation services for 1 year (maybe 2? can't recall) specifically covering international school for the kids, some coverage for rental/hotels while you look for accommodation after returning to Malaysia

Fresh grads are usually not offered expat positions. Luck plays a role, but your own prep ie. showing initiative, having strategy/vision etc shows your boss that you're ready for that next role. Lucrative expat offers are hard to come by nowadays...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0121sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:47 AM