Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> House rental SCAM! SCAMMER alert!, house rental scam in Sunway

views

TSamyshin
post Oct 13 2018, 05:21 PM, updated 6y ago

7 posts

Hi all,

Please be aware of this CON MAN - WONG YI PEI (Residence address: PJS 9, Sunway Bandar, Selangor; phone number: 0196610626; email eugene.yipei@gmail.com). Me and (at least) 9 other people got scammed amounting more than 30,000RM

I was scammed while renting a room in Sunway Geo in July. I lost 4375RM. Until now, the police has not found the guy so he may still be out there con people. I had never thought this kind of thing would happen to me until it did so guys, please always stay alerted!

Attached Image

In July, I was looking for a Master Bedroom in Sunway Geo Residences. I saw a post on ibilik from account name Eugene asking for 1300RM while the market average price is 1500RM.
Attached Image

I made appointment to visit the room. Eugene introduced himself as the owner's nephew and that his "aunt" (the owner) is living abroad. Hence, he helped her to take care of the house. He also explained he gave lower price because it's better to have the room occupied all time rather than asking high price but room is vacant and no income. My visit was totally normal, there was 1 tenant in the living room at that time. The house looked like there were people living: there were shoes, clothes and all. Eugene was very convincing. He said he would provide a new mattress and re-paint the room. He kept asking what concerns me about the house and tried to address ALL the issues reasonably. For example: when I asked for a bigger wardrobe, he said he would bring an old one from his "aunt" house cuz they could afford to buy a new one etc... He showed me the messages between him and other tenants in which other tenants transferred prevous month rental and utilities of the house. Later on that day and next day, he kept following up with me via messages and calls. Because he found out and addressed all of my concern, I agreed to take the room. I took his name card, we signed the memo and I transferred 2.5 months deposit plus first month rental= 4,375RM (got 50RM discount for the rental) to a Maybank account name "WONG YI PEI". Eugene said it's his aunt's bank account but actually, it's his bank account.

2 weeks before the moving day, I tried to contact him but he did not reply my message and my call went to voicemail box. I called his company on the name card. The Director said Eugene stopped working for them 2 years ago. Also thanks to that Director, I knew about other tenants who also got scammed. 10 of us gathered and made the policy reports. However, more than 2 months passed by, the police hasnot found him. We have his real ID, his bank account, his phone number was in use for few years, we found his sister contact but sill no one found him!
Attached Image

We later found out that Eugene was actually the house keeper. That's why he had all access cards and knew the tenants in the houses. Eugene lived in the house since November and all tenants thought he is owner's son. They also thought the bank account "Wong Yi Pei" is owner's bank account. He has been an agent for few years so he knew how to deal with tenant and had the contracted well-prepared.
Attached Image

My mistakes in this process are:
- I did not verify the owner with Sunway Geo Management office
- I did not contact his company to verify about him
- I should have not transfer a big amount based on a piece of contract only. When you give the money to someone, find way to protect yourself. ID, contract does not help when the guy runs.

You can read story from other tenant who also got scammed like me here (you can see the admin's note saying that the owner has confirmed everything is true): https://www.facebook.com/sunwayconfessions3...3776417?__xts__[0]=68.ARC0NTdeCg7nuO3MJTDIkcvXkYlZkWSu3Ze6AVsFCSgpnp9j0HwsHE0_5qCiCp1vouxIqP0ZKWJduEhQixHwxVw3_dtsE-xH1nM5Xq5tyZoxHgY915MWKWFuxwbDULypaLl-h0dCFn9YSg35vlm97cMQKbdsQrS2VT7_3DCFxupadFsUp6qwdg&__tn__=C-R (post #19537 )

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

This post has been edited by amyshin: Oct 13 2018, 09:21 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
leodinouknow
post Oct 13 2018, 06:29 PM

Enthusiast
990 posts

again?
TSamyshin
post Oct 13 2018, 08:15 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(leodinouknow @ Oct 13 2018, 06:29 PM)
again?
Hi Leo,

Sorry if you find the story duplicated. Thanks to your question in the previous topic, I realized my post was quite confused so this time I consolidate all the information and share more details of how it happened. smile.gif
special
post Mar 11 2021, 06:22 PM

Casual
312 posts

GOOD SHARING. I wonder if police is able to NAB this scammer.
i believe there are many more this type of cases.
AgnesB
post Mar 12 2021, 12:50 AM

Casual
464 posts

take police report to bank to freeze his account
heavensea
post Mar 12 2021, 05:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,616 posts

Ts better post at kopitiam.
Here is bbbuuu, not this kind of thing
And report police or bank is totally useless.
Cost of being scammer at Malaysia is 0
Zero

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:43 AM