Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Synology DS118?218+? 718+?

views

TSmunak991
post Oct 9 2018, 11:24 AM, updated 4y ago

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

Hi all,

i currently want to buy a NAS for my new home.
looking at specs DS 118 seems like suits my needs...

my use is mainly a TV home media sever, on movies, and lossless music, or mainbackup for my photos
It will link it to my router, then download from PC, then stream via my Media Streamer that able to play 4k HDR 60fps

At specs, DS118 seems like capable of transferring 4k movie over DLNA but it wouldn't support PLEX
DS218+ has the capability of doing PLEX streaming and 2 HDD slots can use for RAID 1
DS 718+ has the capability of PLEX and equiped with quad core intel chip still remain 2 slot HDD, and Link aggregation for 2GB/s transfer

DS 118 at RM 800 at best + 1 HDD RM 400 4TB
DS 218+ at 1.4k + 2 HDD RM 800 2x4TB
DS 718+ at 1.7k + 2 HDD RM 800

my question is will DS 118 able to deliver true 4k playback on real world use over DLNA? if let say i downloaded a high bit rate 4k movie?
How important is RAID?
Does the ARM chip and x86 chip matters over transfer rate? (I know bottle neck happends on HDD and Network trasnfer rate out)
Is it worth the RM1k-1.5k extra for those functionality?

This post has been edited by munak991: Oct 9 2018, 11:26 AM
edmund_yung
post Oct 10 2018, 06:06 PM

Regular
1,194 posts

I got a DS218J and it just not fast enough to do PLEX.
It can do high bitrate video streaming DLNA over network, but I think my Samsung TV isn't fast enough to decode it, so I'm having problem viewing it. I think your newer HDR TV will do a better job.

I originally got my NAS mainly for backup, and add additional 8TB external WD drive for media consumption as an afterthought. It works fine for anything other than 4k high bitrate video, and I think that's just my TV not fast enough.

DS118 - if you don't use PLEX
DS218+ - if you use PLEX
DS718+ I think overkill, TV don't have 2 LAN ports and Wifi can't do more than 1Gbps anyway.
TSmunak991
post Oct 10 2018, 06:40 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(edmund_yung @ Oct 10 2018, 06:06 PM)
It can do high bitrate video streaming DLNA over network, but I think my Samsung TV isn't fast enough to decode it, so I'm having problem viewing it. I think your newer HDR TV will do a better job.

I originally got my NAS mainly for backup, and add additional 8TB external WD drive for media consumption as an afterthought. It works fine for anything other than 4k high bitrate video, and I think that's just my TV not fast enough.

DS218+ - if you use PLEX
DS718+ I think overkill, TV don't have 2 LAN ports and Wifi can't do more than 1Gbps anyway.
I think safer choice I get 218+ for future expansion. even thought it doesn't transcode 4k
mondayblue17
post Oct 10 2018, 09:47 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

If you need to play movie you need at least Intel CPU.
you need check the CPU transcode capability and the ram, for low end model normally you cant add the ram.

J series for file transferring is ok but for movie the CPU is weak and the ram is less(normally is 512MB)

DS 118 only i not recommend because it only got 1 bays dont have raid function.
DS218+ got a good CP.
DS718+ i think not worth to get DS918+ i think is much more better option.
Lurker
post Oct 13 2018, 06:09 PM

L U R K I N G
Group Icon
Elite
4,286 posts

TS mentioned tht he got a media streamer... Probably an android box tht can handle all the 4k files it can throw at it.

So the Nas is just acts just as a storage for the media box

Or if I read it incorrectly, just buy an android box
TSmunak991
post Oct 13 2018, 07:08 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(Lurker @ Oct 13 2018, 06:09 PM)
TS mentioned tht he got a media streamer... Probably an android box tht can handle all the 4k files it can throw at it.

So the Nas is just acts just as a storage for the media box
Or if I read it incorrectly, just buy an android box
Yea my NAS just for storage.
But also for photo backup. I potentially will use PLEX, so i better get Either 218 or 718

This post has been edited by munak991: Oct 13 2018, 07:08 PM
flexyx
post Oct 17 2018, 04:47 PM

Getting Started
225 posts

RAID can help you recover you from hard disk failure except RAID 0.
allenw
post Jun 13 2019, 02:54 PM

13 posts

Hi Munak,

Not sure you already bought the NAS or not.

I came across the situation like you searching for my next NAS option as well, buying something that might expect workable for half decades.

I was introduced with Synology DS218+, but having the same thoughts as you on the video streaming factors.

Somehow I manage to come across with the brand name ASUSTOR.

They have this model AS5202T which come with HDMI within!!! Best of both worlds features. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
Furthermore, RAM and HDD have options to further expand.

Here is the link:
AS5202T | ASUSTOR NAS

Just to let you know that RAID 1 (or RAID 10 if you take 4-bay, but try to avoid RAID 5 or 6) is practical as HDD quality has no assurance these days.

As of me, I need to replace my WiFi router first before I decide to buy my NAS.

Wish you all the best on your NAS select.
thumbup.gif
TSmunak991
post Jun 13 2019, 03:42 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(allenw @ Jun 13 2019, 02:54 PM)
Hi Munak,

Not sure you already bought the NAS or not.

I came across the situation like you searching for my next NAS option as well, buying something that might expect workable for half decades.

I was introduced with Synology DS218+, but having the same thoughts as you on the video streaming factors.

Somehow I manage to come across with the brand name ASUSTOR.

They have this model AS5202T which come with HDMI within!!! Best of both worlds features.  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
Furthermore, RAM and HDD have options to further expand.

Here is the link:
AS5202T | ASUSTOR NAS

Just to let you know that RAID 1 (or RAID 10 if you take 4-bay, but try to avoid RAID 5 or 6) is practical as HDD quality has no assurance these days.

As of me, I need to replace my WiFi router first before I decide to buy my NAS.

Wish you all the best on your NAS select.
thumbup.gif
I bought DS718+. 4k streaming cannot support over remote. but stream over local no problem at all
Vannus
post Jun 13 2019, 05:32 PM

Geeks
909 posts

I just bought DS218J. 4K movies 70gb files streaming over local LAN on Nvidia Shield runs perfectly smooth. Streaming over wifi on samsung S9+ perfectly smooth. Streaming over remote internet tak boleh. Failed. movie load very long and buffering very badly. Not watchable.
xxboxx
post Jun 14 2019, 07:44 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Oct 13 2018, 07:08 PM)
Yea my NAS just for storage.
But also for photo backup. I potentially will use PLEX, so i better get Either 218 or 718

You using your NAS as backup for your photos?

I read it somewhere that NAS with RAID is not backup, and backup is not archive. NAS data always accessible so there's risk for it to be corrupt, virus attack, NAS failure, etc. Backup should be stored externally and only being accessed when doing backup or restore. Backup is the latest copy of current data, it should not be treated as long term storage, as backup can suffer from bit-rot, data modified, etc. Archive is long term storage, where it's data is final and will not be modified anymore. The storage medium will not allow data to be modified once it is written and it won't deteriorate, or at least won't deteriorate for decades.

Just a heads up when backing your data. I only been doing up to backup level. Still don't know what storage medium should I use for archive.
TSmunak991
post Jun 15 2019, 02:01 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jun 14 2019, 07:44 PM)
You using your NAS as backup for your photos?

I read it somewhere that NAS with RAID is not backup, and backup is not archive. NAS data always accessible so there's risk for it to be corrupt, virus attack, NAS failure, etc. Backup should be stored externally and only being accessed when doing backup or restore. Backup is the latest copy of current data, it should not be treated as long term storage, as backup can suffer from bit-rot, data modified, etc. Archive is long term storage, where it's data is final and will not be modified anymore. The storage medium will not allow data to be modified once it is written and it won't deteriorate, or at least won't deteriorate for decades.

Just a heads up when backing your data. I only been doing up to backup level. Still don't know what storage medium should I use for archive.
yes I do raid, my photos backup is on the go. not very important important like wedding photo family photo i store extra in external HDD
mintgadget
post Jun 15 2019, 02:09 PM

Casual
317 posts

Try using hyper backup. You can backup your photos to google photos theoretically unlimited storage if you follow their specs.
cipikicipika
post Jun 27 2019, 11:47 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(edmund_yung @ Oct 10 2018, 06:06 PM)

DS218+ - if you use PLEX
DS718+ can use to LAN ports with TP-LINK AC2300 or TP-LINK AC3150 as i know..
cipikicipika
post Jun 27 2019, 11:49 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Oct 10 2018, 06:40 PM)
I think safer choice I get 218+ for future expansion. even thought it doesn't transcode 4k
DS218+ cannot transcode 4K?
this NAS is 1 of my options as I am now searching for the right NAS for me.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by cipikicipika: Jun 27 2019, 11:51 AM
TSmunak991
post Jun 27 2019, 12:13 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(cipikicipika @ Jun 27 2019, 11:47 AM)
I've tested tv.
even though the can support 5ghz connection
but because the bandwidth bottle neck. playing 4k content it will crash the TV.
hence only lan can support 4k.
but the TV manufacturer they cut cost the lan Port they provide only can support up to 100MBps not 1GBps
I'm using Sony 850E series

so, getting a NAS , it's best to get another media player with 1GBps port to maximize your streaming experience
edmund_yung
post Jun 29 2019, 12:01 PM

Regular
1,194 posts

QUOTE(cipikicipika @ Jun 27 2019, 11:47 AM)
All of the NAS has got LAN ports and can connect to any wired router.

I'm using the slower DS218J and I'm able to playback 4k video via 5GHz wifi on my TV thru DLNA. Since my TV is able to read the file format, I do not need to transcode them on the NAS. My XiaoMi S Android TV box is also able to playback the 4k files thru wifi from the NAS using VLC.

I'm talking about 4k files with bitrate in the range of 50mbps
TSmunak991
post Jun 29 2019, 12:07 PM

ZONIC!
2,732 posts

QUOTE(edmund_yung @ Jun 29 2019, 12:01 PM)
All of the NAS has got LAN ports and can connect to any wired router.

I'm using the slower DS218J and I'm able to playback 4k video via 5GHz wifi on my TV thru DLNA. Since my TV is able to read the file format, I do not need to transcode them on the NAS. My XiaoMi S Android TV box is also able to playback the 4k files thru wifi from the NAS using VLC.

I'm talking about 4k files with bitrate in the range of 50mbps
my TV able to play without transcode too just after 30 mins play it crashed over WiFi.
over lan no problem
edmund_yung
post Jun 29 2019, 03:46 PM

Regular
1,194 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Jun 29 2019, 12:07 PM)
my TV able to play without transcode too just after 30 mins play it crashed over WiFi.
over lan no problem
If you can stream for 30 mins, I suspect your router may be the culprit. Since LAN cable solve the problem then it's all good now.
7Fred
post Jun 29 2019, 06:18 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

I have read the whole thread and still not understand why so hard setup should be done for the home, what's in it there really. How do you plan to get there ? ""my use is mainly a TV home media sever, on movies, and lossless music, or mainbackup for my photos
It will link it to my router, then download from PC, then stream via my Media Streamer that able to play 4k HDR 60fps"" you can stream your download directly I assume as well.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0239sec    0.72    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:52 PM