Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 3DS LL Charging Issue (Troubleshooting)

views

TSQuintusKing
post Oct 7 2018, 09:50 PM, updated 8 months ago

Group: Newbie

Hey folks!

I got a 3DS LL and the original AC adapter from Japan. The adapter doesn't seem to be working because I don't see the orange charge light when I plug in my device. Whenever I turn off the outlet while plugged in, after five seconds, the orange charge LED would flicker once (like for a split second) and nothing else happens. When the battery is removed, the flickering thing happens too, and when I turn back back on the outlet, the LED flickers once more.

Could this be an issue with the voltage? The device needs an input of 4.6V and the Japanese AC adapter needs 100V - 120V, 50/60 Hz 12 VA. What is the voltage of our power line? Is our voltage too high for the adapter? If so, this means that we can't use the original Japanese AC adapter in Malaysia right?

I also have a small concern that the adapter might have been blown up the moment I used it, if the case is that our voltage is too high.

Specifically to those who use the Japanese 3DS devices: What chargers do you guys use? Not the original adapter from Japan?

Would appreciate if anyone could give me some input. Thanks!

This post has been edited by QuintusKing: Oct 7 2018, 09:52 PM
nate_nightroad
post Oct 7 2018, 09:53 PM

Endless numbered days...
Group: Senior Member

Yea. I had the same issue before. Just go to a local game store and get an adapter. Probably just rm10 to 15
TSQuintusKing
post Oct 7 2018, 10:03 PM

Well it's quite a relief to know I'm not alone. I'm planning to get a USB charger from Daiso soon, since it's cheaper than an adapter. Not too sure if it will solve my problem though.
gogo2
post Oct 8 2018, 07:39 AM

gogo2
Group: All Stars

QUOTE(QuintusKing @ Oct 7 2018, 09:50 PM)
. What is the voltage of our power line? Is our voltage too high for the adapter?

Thanks!
Which country you come from? Are you from Japan or Wakanda?
TSQuintusKing
post Oct 8 2018, 09:06 AM

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Oct 8 2018, 08:39 AM)
Which country you come from? Are you from Japan or Wakanda?
Obviously Markovia. Can't you see?

Okay getting serious. I'm not sure if you should assume everybody knows their country's own power line voltage. 9/10 if I go ask around people I know I won't get an answer. Would be better if you were actually helpful. Thanks and peace.

This post has been edited by QuintusKing: Oct 8 2018, 09:18 AM
hightechgadgets8
post Oct 8 2018, 09:08 AM

Rất Vui Được làm quen với bạn
Group: Senior Member

Read the fine print on the adapter
kuroneko0509
post Oct 8 2018, 09:14 AM

~~sleeping anywhere, anytime, anyplace~~
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

3ds adapter isn't universal voltage adapter. so you have to get a local one (or just grab cheap daiso usb ones, which I think they still sell it?)
this is the last one they used regional voltage as they moved to universal for wii u (even though they didn't label it) and switch
TSQuintusKing
post Oct 8 2018, 09:22 AM

QUOTE(kuroneko0509 @ Oct 8 2018, 10:14 AM)
3ds adapter isn't universal voltage adapter. so you have to get a local one (or just grab cheap daiso usb ones, which I think they still sell it?)
this is the last one they used regional voltage as they moved to universal for wii u (even though they didn't label it) and switch
Yeah I figure that's the first thing I should do. I do hope Daiso still sells it. If I have the time I'll go check out the one near me today. I'll update here whether it works. Thanks!
gogo2
post Oct 8 2018, 09:55 AM

gogo2
Group: All Stars

QUOTE(QuintusKing @ Oct 8 2018, 09:06 AM)
Obviously Markovia. Can't you see?

Okay getting serious. I'm not sure if you should assume everybody knows their country's own power line voltage. 9/10 if  I go ask around people I know I won't get an answer. Would be better if you were actually helpful. Thanks and peace.
Why not? Everybody in Malaysia know we are 230V. How can you not know? I cannot even fathom anyone in Malaysia not know about this when every electrical item we have has 240V designation on it. :facepalm:
TSQuintusKing
post Oct 8 2018, 12:26 PM

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Oct 8 2018, 10:55 AM)
Why not? Everybody in Malaysia know we are 230V. How can you not know? I cannot even fathom anyone in Malaysia not know about this when every electrical item we have has 240V designation on it. :facepalm:
Well now I know it's 240V. Thanks anyway mate.

"Everybody in Malaysia"... Such an overstatement. If you're still in college give a quick quiz to your classmates and see how many of them can answer correctly. I'm not denying my ignorance but it shouldn't be a guilt not knowing it. In my case I simply never cared about voltage because every appliance I've used has been working fine. Why should I bother about it when it's never been an issue? It's not a must to know, more so if every manufacturer is going to go universal in the future.
TSQuintusKing
post Oct 13 2018, 09:45 PM

Sorry for double-posting but bumping this to update and ask for help.

Okay this is pretty screwed up. Long story short, the Daiso near me doesn't sell the USB charger anymore. So today I took my 3DS to a local game store and apparently another charger I tried there didn't work and the guy said the charging port is spoiled and needs replacing. Of course the voltage was one thing but I never imagined a deeper trouble.

They said a replacement would cost like RM70-80. Is it worth it? I asked whether buying the charging cradle would work (so I won't have to use the charging port) and the guy said I would need the charging port to be functioning if I want to use the cradle (which I'm skeptical about, based on what I've read online). Unfortunately there's no cradle there for me to test. Anyone has any suggestion?

Screw me for buying from the Japanese seller. Spent close to RM500 after paying for shipping. Even if it's a used model this is a waste of money since it's basically trash if I can't charge it. Should've spent dozens more for a better deal locally.

This post has been edited by QuintusKing: Oct 13 2018, 10:57 PM

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0663sec    2.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th May 2019 - 08:45 PM