Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need suggestions for home WiFi problem

views

TSKohTianYi
post Oct 7 2018, 11:10 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
50 posts

Hi everyone,

My router is at living room but my PC is in my room which is one floor higher than my living room. I am currently using Unifi 500Mbps package and getting constant 75mb download speed. I have no problem with normal internet consumption such as watching videos and anime. However recently I am called back by old teammates to join their Dota 2 team so we started training. Since then I noticed lag spike as I am using wireless connection, jumping from 10ms to 200+ periodically, and it affects my training greatly. So here are my options:

1) LAN cable - is it practical to route it from my living room to room which is actually quite far?
2) Relocating modem and router - can I do it myself or must I call TM's technicians?

I will be happy to know if there are any better options than these. I don't mind spending some bucks into investing new devices to stabilize my connection. My router is not the default TM one but an ASUS router with 2 large antennas.

Thank you guys in advance, cheers!
dreign
post Oct 7 2018, 11:24 AM

Casual
378 posts

I will go for LAN cable if you dont mind running cable from router to your rig.
speed is consistence and no worry about interference.
enduser
post Oct 7 2018, 11:27 AM

Regular
1,185 posts

Come join read n learn here smile.gif

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4658454
TSKohTianYi
post Oct 7 2018, 11:38 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(enduser @ Oct 7 2018, 11:27 AM)
Come join read n learn here smile.gif

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4658454
Hmm yes... I understand some of these words. sweat.gif
TSKohTianYi
post Oct 7 2018, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(dreign @ Oct 7 2018, 11:24 AM)
I will go for LAN cable if you dont mind running cable from router to  your rig.
speed is consistence and no worry about interference.
That's my last option as routing will be very difficult. Quite far and need to route through stairs, not to mention my room is air-conditioned so basically no holes for the cable to come in.
SilentVampire
post Oct 7 2018, 06:08 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(KohTianYi @ Oct 7 2018, 11:10 AM)
Hi everyone,

My router is at living room but my PC is in my room which is one floor higher than my living room. I am currently using Unifi 500Mbps package and getting constant 75mb download speed. I have no problem with normal internet consumption such as watching videos and anime. However recently I am called back by old teammates to join their Dota 2 team so we started training. Since then I noticed lag spike as I am using wireless connection, jumping from 10ms to 200+ periodically, and it affects my training greatly. So here are my options:

1) LAN cable - is it practical to route it from my living room to room which is actually quite far?
2) Relocating modem and router - can I do it myself or must I call TM's technicians?

I will be happy to know if there are any better options than these. I don't mind spending some bucks into investing new devices to stabilize my connection. My router is not the default TM one but an ASUS router with 2 large antennas.

Thank you guys in advance, cheers!
What Asus router? Are you on 5GHz AC band?

It could be practical but depends on how far is the router to your living room.
failed.hashcheck
post Oct 7 2018, 07:13 PM

Neighborhood plant pathologist
2,006 posts

Use cable. Its your last opyion but its the only option that work.

Btw have you ever considered that the lag spike may not be coming from router? It could simply be routing issue on ISP end.
Try do some ping test from inside of your router and compare it with one from your PC.

This post has been edited by failed.hashcheck: Oct 7 2018, 07:13 PM
TSKohTianYi
post Oct 7 2018, 09:46 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Oct 7 2018, 06:08 PM)
What Asus router? Are you on 5GHz AC band?

It could be practical but depends on how far is the router to your living room.
Asus RT-N12HP_B1. I highly suspect this router is not good enough for 500Mbps connection. I think the maximum capacity is like 100Mbps if what I read is correct.

Use cable. Its your last opyion but its the only option that work.

Btw have you ever considered that the lag spike may not be coming from router? It could simply be routing issue on ISP end.
Try do some ping test from inside of your router and compare it with one from your PC.
Cable is very stable, so I don't think is ISP issue. I am using cable right now with very silly routing.
SilentVampire
post Oct 7 2018, 09:51 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(KohTianYi @ Oct 7 2018, 09:46 PM)
Asus RT-N12HP_B1. I highly suspect this router is not good enough for 500Mbps connection. I think the maximum capacity is like 100Mbps if what I read is correct.
Cable is very stable, so I don't think is ISP issue. I am using cable right now with very silly routing.
Definitely NOT enough at all. It only has FE ports, which means that it only supports up 100Mbps via LAN ports. I suggest you click the link on my signature and see the list of compatible routers. You will need a decent pricey router.
houlan7tor
post Oct 7 2018, 10:16 PM

12 posts

Ideal but difficult: Direct LAN cable.
Second-best option: Get a router and receiver that supports AC and 5Ghz.
TSKohTianYi
post Oct 8 2018, 07:31 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Oct 7 2018, 09:51 PM)
Definitely NOT enough at all. It only has FE ports, which means that it only supports up 100Mbps via LAN ports. I suggest you click the link on my signature and see the list of compatible routers. You will need a decent pricey router.
I just spent near 10k building my new rig, and I am broke af now... How much should I expect for this new "decent pricey router"? Also I already routed my Ethernet cable, do I need to buy new cable (cat6 or whatever that means)?

Also, what does "support AC" means ?
SilentVampire
post Oct 8 2018, 10:45 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(KohTianYi @ Oct 8 2018, 07:31 AM)
I just spent near 10k building my new rig, and I am broke af now... How much should I expect for this new "decent pricey router"? Also I already routed my Ethernet cable, do I need to buy new cable (cat6 or whatever that means)?

Also, what does "support AC" means ?
Oh sorry to hear that. Try the TP-Link Archer C7 v5 or v4, or if you can afford to top up, the TP-Link Archer C9 v5 is a better choice. It will probably cost you RM500 max. You can try Tenda AC18 but I don't think it can support 500Mbps even on LAN.

If your existing cable is Cat 5e, you don't need Cat 6.

AC is a 802.11 standard and it only works on 5GHz. Click the link on my signature and read.
TSKohTianYi
post Oct 8 2018, 04:20 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Oct 8 2018, 10:45 AM)
Oh sorry to hear that. Try the TP-Link Archer C7 v5 or v4, or if you can afford to top up, the TP-Link Archer C9 v5 is a better choice. It will probably cost you RM500 max. You can try Tenda AC18 but I don't think it can support 500Mbps even on LAN.

If your existing cable is Cat 5e, you don't need Cat 6.

AC is a 802.11 standard and it only works on 5GHz. Click the link on my signature and read.
Thanks a lot bro, crystal clear now.

However, will 5GHz WiFi as good as cable?

This post has been edited by KohTianYi: Oct 8 2018, 04:20 PM
SilentVampire
post Oct 8 2018, 05:21 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(KohTianYi @ Oct 8 2018, 04:20 PM)
Thanks a lot bro, crystal clear now.

Nope. Cable is still the best.
alexei
post Oct 12 2018, 09:02 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

Try speedtest.tm.com.my and check that you have low ping and jitter rates. Low is single digit. If you can't achieve that using wireless, then a good cable should do the trick.

sHawTY
post Oct 12 2018, 03:40 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

QUOTE(KohTianYi @ Oct 8 2018, 04:20 PM)
Wireless will never beat physical cable la dey
mbr
post Oct 16 2018, 05:20 PM

Hmm?
2,831 posts

How about powerline connections?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:25 AM