Proudly Kampungite, will always be one.
Group Icon
VIP
3,028 posts

Letter from reader

https://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/443012

Our sad and gloomy KLIA
LETTER (Malaysiakini)

I recently went abroad for a business trip and flew via KLIA's main terminal. Countries around the world have been spending time and money to continuously upgrade their airports as it is the first impression tourists or foreign investors get.

Sad to say, our ageing KLIA main terminal has deteriorated badly. In fact, I've travelled to some of our neighbouring countries and I am amazed at how modern their airports are compared to our KLIA.

Here are some serious issues I hope MAHB, the KLIA management and the transport ministry will really look into.

1. Poor signage in the terminal itself. Some of the signboards are not lighted up. I had trouble looking for directions for airline lounges. Some signboards with directions are confusing. Some are even fading. I wonder how old these signboards are. In fact looking for the KLIA express train was a hassle. There's just a lack of information for tourists arriving in KLIA.

How do they get to KLIA Express, alternatives, how to get the KL tourist pass? Where are all these information? Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport has all these nicely organised right at the arrival hall. There are organised counters with tours, SIM cards, money exchange, bus services and many more. So efficient! But everything is just scattered and messy at KLIA. There are no interactive touchscreen displays with directory and flight information.

2. Messy immigration system. It's embarrassing as there are rows of immigration counters but some passengers with foreign passports went all the way to the end of the counters assuming the counters were open but to their dismay, the counters were closed. What's so hard for MAHB to install a large display screen to tell people which counters are open and which are closed? The immigration area also looks dark and gloomy.

3. The whole airport just looks old, outdated and gloomy in contrast with Singapore's Changi airport that looks ultra-modern and fresh despite its age. In fact, I think our malls in KL are much better and modern than KLIA. Lifts at KLIA airport have no announcements in the lifts itself to tell people which floor the lift stops.

And it's a shame our airport facilities don't cater to the disabled. There are old buntings and banners all over the airport. There is also a lack of information on how to interchange between KLIA and KLIA 2. Not many people are aware of the free shuttle bus service. Some light bulbs are fused. The multi-level car park has faulty lights and confusing signage.

4. What shocked me more was what I saw outside KLIA – the street lights are faulty, there are overgrown bushes everywhere outside KLIA and along the highway. Some street lights are even broken. Are we going to tell tourists and investors that we don't have the money to fix all this or do we just have the “tidak apa” mentality trapped in us all?

I hope the blame game between the Sepang local council and MAHB will not happen. Cars and airport limos double park outside the arrival area causing massive congestion. Where is the enforcement? There are no pedestrian signboards to warn drivers of pedestrian crossings. Some cars just drive through the zebra crossings because their views are blocked by double-parked vehicles.

It feels like a Third World country when one exits KLIA. Just right after KLIA, highway signboards are blocked by street lights. The Elite highway, too, has so many faulty street lights. Why can't we get this right in 2018?

5. KLIA is boring and dull. I'm not asking KLIA to copy Singapore's amazing Changi Airport by introducing cinemas and swimming pools. But let's think out of the box. Perhaps introduce a 24-hour library with real books rather than e-books?

Introduce stopover packages for passengers with more than five hours transit. Perhaps they should promote our beautiful Putrajaya and Cyberjaya for transit passengers via the KLIA Transit trains. Look at how Singapore Changi promotes itself as a destination in itself. Having malls and more shops is just too mainstream. Be different.

KLIA's ranking by Skytrax in 2018 is at 44 compared to 34 in 2017. How did we fail so badly? Why do MAHB and the ministry of transport not care? Are we really trapped in the “tidak apa” mentality? It's so sad that KLIA is an embarrassment to Malaysians but in Singapore, people there are proud of their world-class airport.

cicak.fakir
post Sep 19 2018, 09:02 AM

Casual
387 posts

masalah orang kayap-kayap.
apabila airports menjadi rumah kedua, semua nak bermewah-mewah.
takadanicklagi
post Sep 19 2018, 09:03 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

Wait till u got JFK 1st world airport. See u complain for not.
kenji1903
post Sep 19 2018, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

compare KLIA with Changi? bwaahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
SUSweyyt
post Sep 19 2018, 09:05 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

Inkambing plotek.

Our KLIA is so shit compared to Changi.

The whole airport monopoly by one taxi company and blocking the entire road doh.gif
ifourtos
post Sep 19 2018, 09:06 AM

Regular
1,884 posts

Juara kampung

Buat ape nak bandingkan org lain

xplodingplastix
post Sep 19 2018, 09:07 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

cant simply upgrade airports when budget are tighter now. kill the corruptions first. improve the management, funds will go in later. give it time. sure theres plans.
xplodingplastix

Getting Started
224 posts

double post

This post has been edited by xplodingplastix: Sep 19 2018, 09:07 AM
zimhibikie

Freak of Nature
2,825 posts

KLIA should maintained itself as ana airport, no need cinemas or shopping mall..

KLIA has done a pretty good job as a transportation hub, no need as a centerpiece to show off as if ur didi is bigger
latipbogiba
post Sep 19 2018, 09:08 AM

Getting Started
94 posts

wait till airport ada katil
ahchun
post Sep 19 2018, 09:08 AM

MiddleAge
1,115 posts

KLIA toilet quality really bad.

TSKampung2005
post Sep 19 2018, 09:09 AM

Group Icon
VIP
3,028 posts

QUOTE(takadanicklagi @ Sep 19 2018, 09:03 AM)
Wait till u got JFK 1st world airport. See u complain for not.
Problem is that when KLIA was planned and opened, it was envisioned not only as hub in Asia, but also competing the likes of Changi etc.

In Asia, airports are generally better than that of north America, that is why KLIA must always be compared with top Asian airports, which are one of world's best.

At this rate, Incheon airport is also better than KLIA.
DarkNite

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

QUOTE(cicak.fakir @ Sep 19 2018, 09:02 AM)
?
masalah orang kayap-kayap.
apabila airports menjadi rumah kedua, semua nak bermewah-mewah.
wasn't there a person - Hassan al-Kontar staying there since early March 2018?
SUSweyyt

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(zimhibikie @ Sep 19 2018, 09:07 AM)
KLIA should maintained itself as ana airport, no need cinemas or shopping mall..

KLIA has done a pretty good job as a transportation hub, no need as a centerpiece to show off as if ur didi is bigger
Good job my foot.

Poor signage, messy shit, congested arrival area. Can't even get basic right.
s@ni

Gambar Di Lesen Kereta Saya
2,814 posts

we need to revamp MAHB, not MoT.

as you all know, MAHB is.......
SUSweyyt
post Sep 19 2018, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(Kampung2005 @ Sep 19 2018, 09:09 AM)
At this rate, Incheon airport is also better than KLIA.
Incheon ald miles better than our juara kampung doh.gif
DarkNite

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
11,040 posts

QUOTE(ahchun @ Sep 19 2018, 09:08 AM)
KLIA toilet quality really bad.
Ya ke?
They just did the upgrading no meh?
Or is it another songlap project by UMNOputar?
poooky

Casual
454 posts

It feels like a 3rd world country? Are he imply we r 1st world
TSKampung2005
post Sep 19 2018, 09:11 AM

Group Icon
VIP
3,028 posts

QUOTE(xplodingplastix @ Sep 19 2018, 09:07 AM)
cant simply upgrade airports when budget are tighter now. kill the corruptions first. improve the management, funds will go in later. give it time. sure theres plans.
Many of the solutions are simple and do not require large sum to begin with.

For example, better signage, more prominent signs all these do not require large fund.

Many of the problems highlighted by the reader require only simple fix and common sense.
jVIPERs2
post Sep 19 2018, 09:12 AM

LY.N Enthusiast
1,648 posts

Typical la...
Our mentality and attitude is build something world class, use and abuse for years then spend billions rebuilding/refurbishing it...
Mana nak songlap if every year maintain je? 🙄

13 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0215sec    0.50    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:53 PM