Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking WiFi Router Discussion Thread, Updated for 2023

views

Zot
post Jun 17 2021, 10:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Jun 10 2021, 08:56 AM)
wanna check, does the TP-Link OneMesh system half the bandwidth available like wat normal range extender does?

and guys how do you normally test ur local wifi speed? i mean the communication between router and PC. cos my line 100mbps only, max also can test 100mbps, but i wanna test like using Plex media player for my TV, which requires much higher bitrate.
In general you do not need to test the network speed for home since it is not busy place. Network speed it to test the traffic in network.

When you device do handshake signal with AP or your wireless router, the connection is established at certain speed due to signal condition due to interference or distance. I think you can see what is the establish speed on the phone by pressing on WiFI icon or use apps. I'm sure many apps out there can show connection speed. No matter if your router can connect at 500Mbps or not, your speed will max at the establish speed biggrin.gif

For mesh router, it is full capable speed. The reason for reduced bandwidth is just because you use half of the band as connection to the other mesh unit. So, only the other half is available for traffic to your device.

If you use LAN cable from one mech unit to the other mesh unit, then each mesh unit will have full bandwidth to communicate with devices.

For range extender, it is not really half the bandwidth but more like half the speed. Say your router takes 1s to extender and from extender 1s to your device. Then total time is 2s. If you have connection from router to your device, then you only need 1s. So, it is half the speed, but it is like half the bandwidth too smile.gif
Zot
post Jun 17 2021, 10:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(Corrupted Spirits @ Jun 14 2021, 08:10 PM)
I thought it would be OK for a global set, was expecting 2-3 signal bars, mana tau 🤦‍♂️

Looks like I need to get a TP Link AX20 then. Would the TP Link AX20 wifi signal coverage able to cover a double storey terrace?
For those who like to buy China one, it is okay to buy if the model is designed for designated country but not for domestic one. This is what blacktubi meant

https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/maximum-wifi-tr...-power-country/

This post has been edited by Zot: Jun 17 2021, 10:13 AM
nokia6280
post Jun 17 2021, 11:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

QUOTE(Scissorshand @ Jun 16 2021, 06:22 PM)
Am using one main router AX20 located upstairs hall, am satisfied so far with the connection and stable speed cos sub to 100mbps. Built up approx 2800sqf

Below is the speed and connection taken while I'm at the front porch which is OK.

Would adding another AX20 or M4 (connecting to main via wifi) as mesh is worthwhile?
Why not invest a onmesh? Connecting to another AX20 or M4 meaning you need to pull network cable from your main AX20, if not wrong long network cable to reduce the network connection quality...
nokia6280
post Jun 17 2021, 11:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

QUOTE(chastise @ Jun 15 2021, 05:57 PM)
House type: Landed
Size of house: 5800 Square feet and 3 floors
Features required: None
Number of devices connected to WiFi: 12
Internet Speed: Unifi 500mbps
Budget: 1000

Currently running on stock TM DIR-842, my speedtest runs between 30-50mbps download speed on wifi. Devices mostly on wifi so will need to upgrade the wifi router and possibly added wifi mesh. Any recommendation?
When you mentioned 500mbps package with 30-50 download speed, may i know how far is your device from the router when you did the test?

Maybe you could consider a new Mesh router and pair with few extender or repeater..
ben3003
post Jun 17 2021, 12:01 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jun 17 2021, 10:08 AM)
In general you do not need to test the network speed for home since it is not busy place. Network speed it to test the traffic in network.

When you device do handshake signal with AP or your wireless router, the connection is established at certain speed due to signal condition due to interference or distance. I think you can see what is the establish speed on the phone by pressing on WiFI icon or use apps. I'm sure many apps out there can show connection speed. No matter if your router can connect at 500Mbps or not, your speed will max at the establish speed  biggrin.gif

For mesh router, it is full capable speed. The reason for reduced bandwidth is just because you use half of the band as connection to the other mesh unit. So, only the other half is available for traffic to your device.

If you use LAN cable from one mech unit to the other mesh unit, then each mesh unit will have full bandwidth to communicate with devices.

For range extender, it is not really half the bandwidth but more like half the speed. Say your router takes 1s to extender and from extender 1s to your device. Then total time is 2s. If you have connection from router to your device, then you only need 1s. So, it is half the speed, but it is like half the bandwidth too  smile.gif
I see.. iphone cannot see the established speed lol. Let me try some app. Because even not busy, but dunno why if stream from pc to shieldtv sometimes will hang hang especially high bitrate file. Eventho my pc showing like 600mbps speed and the file like bluray remux mkv bitrate is around 30MB/s. Thats y i wan to see wat is the local wifi network speed. I wont care if i not using local streaming but then i guess tis is important to me.

but those proper mesh unit like deco will have dedicated band for backhaul right? I believe only like onemesh which is dualband only.

Zot
post Jun 17 2021, 12:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Jun 17 2021, 12:01 PM)
I see.. iphone cannot see the established speed lol. Let me try some app. Because even not busy, but dunno why if stream from pc to shieldtv sometimes will hang hang especially high bitrate file. Eventho my pc showing like 600mbps speed and the file like bluray remux mkv bitrate is around 30MB/s. Thats y i wan to see wat is the local wifi network speed. I wont care if i not using local streaming but then i guess tis is important to me.

but those proper mesh unit like deco will have dedicated band for backhaul right? I believe only like onemesh which is dualband only.
If streaming gives problem I guess it is not about bandwidth but the processing power of the device or perhaps faulty unit. Cheap unit tend to have slower processor thus hung up if buffer gets overloaded I think.

The difference between Deco Mesh and OneMesh has nothing to do with dedicated backhaul. When Asus came up with AiMesh, you just need to upgrade a bunch up listed models with AiMesh firmware and you can have mixed Asus model to perform like mesh network. Other players at that time you need to buy a mesh units set. If you already have one model, you have to ditch that one and replace with mesh set.

To simulate what Asus did, then TP came out with OneMesh. The Deco Mesh comes as a set of AP decicated for mesh. Therefore the OneMesh is cheaper solution. The difference is here:
https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/536

I do not have mesh routers but if I need to setup one, I will opt for LAN connection between mesh. The reason is simple. The connection speed between two unit related to distance and also obstructions. So, the further the distance, the backhaul speed will also suffer. You will have improved coverage but you will lose speed and not utilizing full router potential if you use wireless backhaul. You do not want to put your mesh unit near to each other right? laugh.gif

I bought an Asus since it was the only brand that enable you to build mesh network stage by stage since can mix model. However, my Asus GT-AC5300 can get at least 200Mbps anywhere inside my two storey house when I run speed test. Maybe not much thing in my house laugh.gif
ben3003
post Jun 17 2021, 12:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jun 17 2021, 12:30 PM)
If streaming gives problem I guess it is not about bandwidth but the processing power of the device or perhaps faulty unit. Cheap unit tend to have slower processor thus hung up if buffer gets overloaded I think.

The difference between Deco Mesh and OneMesh has nothing to do with dedicated backhaul. When Asus came up with AiMesh, you just need to upgrade a bunch up listed models with AiMesh firmware and you can have mixed Asus model to perform like mesh network. Other players at that time you need to buy a mesh units set. If you already have one model, you have to ditch that one and replace with mesh set.

To simulate what Asus did, then TP came out with OneMesh. The Deco Mesh comes as a set of AP decicated for mesh. Therefore the OneMesh is cheaper solution. The difference is here:
https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/536

I do not have mesh routers but if I need to setup one, I will opt for LAN connection between mesh. The reason is simple. The connection speed between two unit related to distance and also obstructions. So, the further the distance, the backhaul speed will also suffer. You will have improved coverage but you will lose speed and not utilizing full router potential if you use wireless backhaul. You do not want to put your mesh unit near to each other right?  laugh.gif

I bought an Asus since it was the only brand that enable you to build mesh network stage by stage since can mix model. However, my Asus GT-AC5300 can get at least 200Mbps anywhere inside my two storey house when I run speed test. Maybe not much thing in my house  laugh.gif
Thanks for the explanation. Problem with LAN is need proper wiring and very time consuming in the process and also the routing from downstairs to upstairs need tembus ceiling lol. Actually my house only 5ppl use and is mostly my parents and uncle family. I might not need mesh solution but perhaps more powerful single router.

I also have those smart devices connecting to my router but is via 2.4ghz. Maybe i shud get a hub and let all those thing connect to my hub then the hub to router is better.

This post has been edited by ben3003: Jun 17 2021, 12:59 PM
Zot
post Jun 17 2021, 01:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(ben3003 @ Jun 17 2021, 12:58 PM)
Thanks for the explanation. Problem with LAN is need proper wiring and very time consuming in the process and also the routing from downstairs to upstairs need tembus ceiling lol. Actually my house only 5ppl use and is mostly my parents and uncle family. I might not need mesh solution but perhaps more powerful single router.
My Unifi fiber goes under porch roof and through the wall behind TV cabinet and to BTU in TV cabinet. All hidden. I drill the hole and made preparation a day before the contractor came. So, it done very fast.

If I want to have a mesh router on 1st floor. I will route the cable the same way. Put short trunk outside the house and drill a hole in master bedroom where I can place a cabinet or shelf to put the unit. Will be nice without messy wiring inside the house. smile.gif

Yes, single router is easier. Since now everyone gone AX crazy, the AC price much cheaper. Actually the old top tier router has some feature of the AX already. The modulation even go to QPSK 1024.
chastise
post Jun 17 2021, 06:02 PM

Over the rainbow
1,555 posts

QUOTE(nokia6280 @ Jun 17 2021, 11:58 AM)
When you mentioned 500mbps package with 30-50 download speed, may i know how far is your device from the router when you did the test?

Maybe you could consider a new Mesh router and pair with few extender or repeater..
I realised the problem is with the stock unifi router. Bottleneck issue. Would want maximised speed and coverage so extender and repeater is not sufficient for my usage.

I'm going for M9 Plus but now considering whether i would wanna upgrade the 842 to ax73.

ben3003
post Jun 17 2021, 06:43 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jun 17 2021, 01:07 PM)
My Unifi fiber goes under porch roof and through the wall behind TV cabinet and to BTU in TV cabinet. All hidden. I drill the hole and made preparation a day before the contractor came. So, it done very fast.

If I want to have a mesh router on 1st floor. I will route the cable the same way. Put short trunk outside the house and drill a hole in master bedroom where I can place a cabinet or shelf to put the unit. Will be nice without messy wiring inside the house.  smile.gif

Yes, single router is easier. Since now everyone gone AX crazy, the AC price much cheaper. Actually the old top tier router has some feature of the AX already. The modulation even go to QPSK 1024.
my fibre termination is at very awkward position, level 2 common area no plug, this is my parents house so cant do much. if my own house i will definitely plan nicely in the future lol.

actually not much device use AX also.. like my phone, only my phone using AX lol. but then, this ax20 much better than my previous tmobile ac1900 flashed ac68u. And unifi offering me upgrade to 300mbps then give me 2x deco m4 lol. maybe i can tryout this deco if it can make my house wifi better haha. best thing is they take out hypptv this time. thank God.
ben3003
post Jun 17 2021, 06:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

QUOTE(chastise @ Jun 17 2021, 06:02 PM)
I realised the problem is with the stock unifi router. Bottleneck issue. Would want maximised speed and coverage so extender and repeater is not sufficient for my usage.

I'm going for M9 Plus but now considering whether i would wanna upgrade the 842 to ax73.
First thing to do when u install unifi, ditch than god damn router lol. i see ur build up sqft is 5800 and 3 floor, i would suggest better u go for mesh wifi to fully utilize ur 500mbps.
nokia6280
post Jun 18 2021, 09:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

Before considering a new router maybe you should check you existing router is getting good speed result when your device is near to it. If yes, maybe a mesh wifi should able to fulfill your current needs.

If you planning to upgrade your router, go for Wifi 6 and pair with wifi 6 mesh otherwise M9 plus should be good enough for you.

This post has been edited by nokia6280: Jun 18 2021, 09:20 AM
nokia6280
post Jun 18 2021, 05:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

QUOTE(abcdef123456 @ Jun 16 2021, 01:31 PM)
Hi Sifus,

Have some quick questions

Currently using tplink router provided by tm (2 antennas),can’t really remember the model

For 2.4,i can only get at most 30+mbps (thats the best condition).Normally i can only get like 10-20mbps for my 300mbps unifi plan. While inside my room, sometimes i could not get the wifi(just seldom).

Let say, i buy a wifi 6 router, saw some comments that ax50&ax73 should be avoided.How about ax10 or ax20 which one is recommended?

Following is the most important,I do not hope for extreme fast speedtest.But wifi 6 router will it be able to achieve speedtest within 50-120mbps stable for 2.4ghz?I do not own any ax devices as well. And is the wifi coverage will be better than my current router?

Hope anyone can solve my doubt,thanks!
1. At the back of your router should have the router model.
2. Since yours are 300mbps, from router specs both AX10 and Ax20 are meeting your requirements unless you have a plan to upgrade to 500mbps than go for AX20.
3. Whether you could achieve better speed, there are few factors that could affects. 1st is your unifi can go beyond 30+ mbps like > 200mbps? if can't you may need to report to TM that something is wrong with your connection speed. 2nd. you should know that the farer you from the router the slower the speed. So don't expect consistent speed covering your entire house. lastly, is the thickness of your wall and your house design could also affect your internet speed.

Just my 2 cents... anyway i am not sifu... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by nokia6280: Jun 18 2021, 05:20 PM
nokia6280
post Jun 18 2021, 05:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

By the way is your connection can achieve more than 300mbps? Could it be TM problem? Because most of the issue either the SP or the router... You may consider to get TM to diagnose 1st..
erykkun
post Jun 18 2021, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(blacktubi @ Sep 17 2018, 05:08 PM)
With the rise of much faster Internet speed, this post serves as a generic guide to know what Wireless Router you should buy and some generic tips and tricks when buying a router.

Use the format below if you wish to ask what router to buy
Recommended List
RM100-200: TP-Link Archer A6
RM200-400: TP-Link AX10, TP-Link AX20, TP-Link Deco M4, ASUS RT-AX56U
RM400-600: Deco M5 twin pack, ASUS RT-AC86U
RM600-1000: Deco M9 Plus TWIN, ASUS RT-AX3000, ASUS TUF-AX3000
RM1000 and above: Most routers beyound this price point are really good

Equipment List
This list serve as a reference on what router you should purchase based on the performance of their WiFi tested with ASUS PCE-AC88. Unless specifically mentioned, these routers can support Gigabit speed over wired LAN.

WiFi router speed rating

All the routers tested below support Unifi with HyppTV unless stated otherwise.
Only ASUS router support Maxis with VOIP working properly. Some TP-Link routers may not support VOIP.

TP-Link
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Asus
Please buy local ASUS router as China model do not come with our VLAN profile and much lower WiFi transmit power.

D-Link

Tenda

What WiFi adapter to buy?
Here are the only WiFi adapter that I filtered that are decent.

WiFi 6 Adapters:
All the WiFi 6 adapters currently in the market are PCIE only and they are all powered by Intel AX200 chipset.
Performance are the same since they all use the same solution from Intel.

TP-Link TX3000E 3 years warranty with external antenna cradle.
TP-Link TX50E 3 years warranty without antenna cradle.
ASUS PCE-AX58BT 3 years warranty with external antenna cradle.
Intel AX200 You can actually purchase the Intel AX200 from Lazada and install yourself for notebook users.
USB:
TP-Link T9UH AC1900 - Affordable, stable and perform well.
TP-Link T4U AC1300 - Even cheaper and just a bit slower than T9UH. Do not come with USB cradle.
any latest update?

im looking at Asus AX92U

chastise
post Jun 18 2021, 08:52 PM

Over the rainbow
1,555 posts

QUOTE(nokia6280 @ Jun 18 2021, 05:24 PM)
By the way is your connection can achieve more than 300mbps? Could it be TM problem? Because most of the issue either the SP or the router... You may consider to get TM to diagnose 1st..
i connected lan to wifi router to do speed test. 300mbps.
nokia6280
post Jun 19 2021, 10:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,705 posts

QUOTE(chastise @ Jun 18 2021, 08:52 PM)
i connected lan to wifi router to do speed test. 300mbps.
You may need to do the same test using wifi, if the speed is very much the same as LAN then M9 plus is your option.

Do the same tests using wifi from the same distance as you do the LAN test for accuracy.
AndriodOne
post Jun 19 2021, 03:05 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Hey guys, bought a new TP link AX70 router to replace my existing maxis router.

I understand i needs PPPOE id and password, may I know is the id and password is same for everyone? If yes, can someone share here? Thanks

This post has been edited by AndriodOne: Jun 19 2021, 03:05 PM
ckimsem
post Jun 19 2021, 04:17 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(AndriodOne @ Jun 19 2021, 04:05 PM)
Hey guys, bought a new TP link AX70 router to replace my existing maxis router.

I understand i needs PPPOE id and password, may I know is the id and password is same for everyone? If yes, can someone share here? Thanks
If you understand, then you should have known everyone’s ID and password are different.
Just call to Maxis helpline to ask for your id and password for setting up your new router.

This post has been edited by ckimsem: Jun 19 2021, 04:17 PM
AndriodOne
post Jun 19 2021, 04:43 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(ckimsem @ Jun 19 2021, 04:17 PM)
If you understand, then you should have known everyone’s ID and password are different.
Just call to Maxis helpline to ask for your id and password for setting up your new router.
Reason i asked because saw some post where some ppl sharing their PPPoE id and password then someone acknowledge can used the same. tongue.gif

275 Pages « < 187 188 189 190 191 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:42 PM