Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Myvi brake upgrade?, Recommendations for myvi brake upgrades

Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 03:17 PM, updated 6 months ago

Group: Newbie

Hi sifu, as the title suggests, I'm seeking for recommendations for myvi brake upgrades. Car is a myvi 1.3 lagi best.

My budget is around rm600. I occasionally do genting runs on weekends so definitely looking to improve my brakes.

My current problem is I have to step the brake pedal so deep, it feels sinking. Also, during hard braking on high speeds got vibration tho this might be the abs?

The last I changed my brake pads was 3 years ago. The brake fluid looks low tho it's still above the minimum level.

Would definitely be glad to get any recommendations. Thanks.
aidil_fahmi88
post Sep 17 2018, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Change to Odyssey brake.
Contact dream car garage.
Price is around rm600 if I'm not mistaken.

Link : Dream Car Garage

This post has been edited by aidil_fahmi88: Sep 17 2018, 03:24 PM
Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 03:51 PM

QUOTE(aidil_fahmi88 @ Sep 17 2018, 03:21 PM)
Change to Odyssey brake.
Contact dream car garage.
Price is around rm600 if I'm not mistaken.

Link : Dream Car Garage
Thanks for the recommendation bro. Any disadvantages to using the odc brakes? It's a larger size right?
6UE5T
post Sep 17 2018, 04:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Jonsnow68 @ Sep 17 2018, 03:51 PM)
Thanks for the recommendation bro. Any disadvantages to using the odc brakes? It's a larger size right?
In most brake size upgrade (bigger calipers & discs), it will require changing to bigger diameter rims too. So you may need to check the minimum rim size requirement whether you can still use existing or need to upsize rims also.
Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 04:35 PM

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 17 2018, 04:16 PM)
In most brake size upgrade (bigger calipers & discs), it will require changing to bigger diameter rims too. So you may need to check the minimum rim size requirement whether you can still use existing or need to upsize rims also.
Thnks for reminding. I forgot to mention my current rim size is 15 inch.
Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 04:38 PM

Dream car garage recommended two options

1) odessey 282 mm disc rotor for rm600
2) City 262 mm disc rotor for rm550

My concern with the odessey brake kit is the weight of it. Some are saying its heavy. Note that my engine is completely stock, no mods. Odc brake kit might be an overkill for me.

Some are recommending to get rss brake disc and project mu brake pad.
rcracer
post Sep 17 2018, 04:53 PM

?????
Group: Senior Member

Overhaul and new better pads

aidil_fahmi88
post Sep 17 2018, 06:54 PM

Getting Started

Last time, I have tried the after market disc and performance brake pad. The performance gain is very minimal. And brake fade still occurred.

Then I tried the Odyssey brake upgrade. Totally worth every penny spend. No need to use performance pad. That time I was using the Alza 15" rim. Can fit the caliper and disc. No problem.

Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 08:13 PM

QUOTE(aidil_fahmi88 @ Sep 17 2018, 06:54 PM)
Last time, I have tried the after market disc and performance brake pad. The performance gain is very minimal. And brake fade still occurred.

Then I tried the Odyssey brake upgrade. Totally worth every penny spend. No need to use performance pad. That time I was using the Alza 15" rim. Can fit the caliper and disc. No problem.
What car was it? Was the break heavy?
Jonsnow68
post Sep 17 2018, 08:14 PM

QUOTE(rcracer @ Sep 17 2018, 04:53 PM)
Overhaul and new better pads
What doe the overhaul process includes? Is it something like flushing the brake fluid and service the pump etc?
rcracer
post Sep 17 2018, 08:20 PM

?????

QUOTE(Jonsnow68 @ Sep 17 2018, 08:14 PM)
What doe the overhaul process includes? Is it something like flushing the brake fluid and service the pump etc?
Flush brake fluid , full disassemble calipers , replace seals , polish pistons to remove corrosion and reassemble

Then new discs and new brake pads
unitron
post Sep 17 2018, 11:33 PM

W1(R)3d

QUOTE(Jonsnow68 @ Sep 17 2018, 03:17 PM)
Hi sifu, as the title suggests, I'm seeking for recommendations for myvi brake upgrades. Car is a myvi 1.3 lagi best.

My budget is around rm600. I occasionally do genting runs on weekends so definitely looking to improve my brakes.

My current problem is I have to step the brake pedal so deep, it feels sinking. Also, during hard braking on high speeds got vibration tho this might be the abs?

The last I changed my brake pads was 3 years ago. The brake fluid looks low tho it's still above the minimum level.

Would definitely be glad to get any recommendations. Thanks.
My advise will be different... after 3 cars and many years in the modding scene with all joy and pain that came with it.
Stick to stock is the best, maybe upgrade to steel braided hose (so far all overpriced to cut throat).
Save your money and next time get a better car.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2018, 12:47 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(unitron @ Sep 17 2018, 11:33 PM)
My advise will be different... after 3 cars and many years in the modding scene with all joy and pain that came with it.
Stick to stock is the best, maybe upgrade to steel braided hose (so far all overpriced to cut throat).
Hmm I have a different take on that. IMHO it depends on how good/bad the stock brakes are to begin with. If the stock brakes are quite decent already then yeah, minimal upgrades is good enough but if the stock brakes are already pretty weak, then better go for major upgrades like changing to bigger multiport calipers and discs. Perfect example of this is my own car, the stock brakes are just too weak with long soft pedal and easy fading, just no confidence on the brakes. Initially I went for middle ground upgrades with just changing to better performance pads, change to slotted discs, and change to stainless braided brake hose. Yes they did give noticeable improvement but honestly still not as good as I expected. So once the pads done, I went for upgrade to 4 pot calipers and bigger discs and only then I am satisfied with the result, and I regretted that I did not go for this option in the first place as I have wasted more money and time by doing half baked upgrade initially.
netmatrix
post Sep 18 2018, 01:08 AM

The machine... it sees everything.

My mechanic fix a lot of Myvi lagi best. The stock brake design is actually very good. But the brake master cylinder made after 2010 are not as reliable. It is stupidly ridiculous how quality went down as the model chugs along every revision. I would change that first before looking at disc and pads.
unitron
post Sep 18 2018, 10:52 AM

W1(R)3d

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 18 2018, 12:47 AM)
Hmm I have a different take on that. IMHO it depends on how good/bad the stock brakes are to begin with. If the stock brakes are quite decent already then yeah, minimal upgrades is good enough but if the stock brakes are already pretty weak, then better go for major upgrades like changing to bigger multiport calipers and discs. Perfect example of this is my own car, the stock brakes are just too weak with long soft pedal and easy fading, just no confidence on the brakes. Initially I went for middle ground upgrades with just changing to better performance pads, change to slotted discs, and change to stainless braided brake hose. Yes they did give noticeable improvement but honestly still not as good as I expected. So once the pads done, I went for upgrade to 4 pot calipers and bigger discs and only then I am satisfied with the result, and I regretted that I did not go for this option in the first place as I have wasted more money and time by doing half baked upgrade initially.
Depends how you drive laugh.gif

Stock brakes on average cars are not for track, street racing, touge, etc

btw... this is a Myvi we talking about.... so far no indication owner doing forced induction or nitrous upgrade laugh.gif
Fireballzzz
post Sep 18 2018, 11:43 AM

1. Change to a bigger brake kit (Odyssey, vios, MR-2 Twin Pot).
2. Get a good brake pad
3. Change brake hose (Super Circuit, IMP)
wkc5657
post Sep 18 2018, 11:50 AM

before looking into brakes, one important question to ask, apa tayar lu pakai?

Cheap low end tyre, upgrade brake pun wasted. If cannot transfer the traction well, will just keep activating ABS despite new brake set. Activation of ABS doesn't mean that your brake very power, it means that the tyre is locking up due to insufficient traction.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2018, 12:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(unitron @ Sep 18 2018, 10:52 AM)
Depends how you drive  laugh.gif

Stock brakes on average cars are not for track, street racing, touge, etc

btw... this is a Myvi we talking about.... so far no indication owner doing forced induction or nitrous upgrade  laugh.gif
Well my car is also just another average daily driver family sedan, and its stock brakes was just no good as I mentioned. That's why upgrading to bigger multipot brakes was the wiser option. I don't know how stock Myvi brakes is because I've never driven one but yeah in general major upgrades to bigger system can be a wiser decision if the stock brakes are too weak like mine, so again depends on how good/bad the stock brakes are, that's all I'm saying.
Jonsnow68
post Sep 18 2018, 06:45 PM

QUOTE(unitron @ Sep 17 2018, 11:33 PM)
Haha, changing to a better car isn't an option right now bos 😂
Jonsnow68
post Sep 18 2018, 06:46 PM

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 18 2018, 12:47 AM)
Many are recommending a bigger brake kit. Will consider this option

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0979sec    9.95    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th March 2019 - 03:35 PM