Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Safe to update drivers for laptop?

views

TSdexter_siah
post Sep 16 2018, 02:52 PM, updated 6y ago

12 posts

Hey guys,

i bought a new Asus Zenbook UX331UN around 2 months ago and everything was perfect till few days ago the finger print sensor stopped working after a windows update. So i tried reinstalling the finger print driver (goodix driver) from asus website but it still didnt detect my fingerprint. Without knowing the actual cause of it i went and download driver booster from iobit and just update every out-dated drivers hoping it would fix the problem. But in fact it caused more problem where i couldn't even do a System Restore. I went and sent it to the repair shop and the technician said that never update drivers for laptop as it would cause the OS to fail to communicate with the hardware. But it is okay to update drivers for desktop. Does it make sense what did the technician said?

This post has been edited by dexter_siah: Sep 16 2018, 11:40 PM
buyoq
post Sep 16 2018, 03:31 PM

hat ni sebulan...........
1,303 posts

QUOTE(dexter_siah @ Sep 16 2018, 02:52 PM)
Hey guys,

i bought a new Asus Zenbook UX331UN around 2 months ago and everything was perfect till few days ago the finger print sensor stopped working after a windows update. So i tried reinstalling the finger print driver (goodix driver) from asus website but it still didnt detect my fingerprint. Without knowing the actual cause of it i went and download driver booster from iobit and just update every out-dated drivers hoping it would fix the problem. But in fact it caused more problem where i couldn't even do a System Restore. I went and sent it to the repair shop and the technician said that never[SIZE=7] update drivers for laptop as it would cause the OS to fail to communicate with the hardware. But it is okay to update drivers for desktop. Does it make sense what did the technician said?
"Never update driver for laptop"
Doesn't make sense at all. If let say there's an issue with the current driver in ur system then how do you expect to solve them without a fix/updates ?

I never skip an updates whenever the prompt popped out on my screen (be it windows update or driver update).

WebWalker
post Sep 16 2018, 03:45 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

Usually it is safe to update drivers in any system.

Windows 10 Update is different story, its update drivers and also patch the system.
During the updating process, it might screw some of the system ....

This post has been edited by WebWalker: Sep 16 2018, 03:45 PM
TSdexter_siah
post Sep 16 2018, 11:39 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Sep 16 2018, 03:45 PM)
Usually it is safe to update drivers in any system.

Windows 10 Update is different story, its update drivers and also patch the system.
During the updating process, it might screw some of the system ....
so would u recommend disabling windows update since it might screw some of the system? or proceed with updating. In my experience i normally would disable the windows update in the services but it would still automatically run the service again.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:20 PM