Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Building rig for autocad, autocad / sony vegas

seichirosano
post Sep 14 2018, 04:16 PM, updated 3 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi guys, planning to build a rig for my younger sis. she mainly uses it for autocad, revit (not sure any other software), sony vegas (light video editing) and light gaming.

i have a spare amd x370 mobo with ryzen 5 1500x (4core 8 thread) and sapphire nitro rx 580 8gb gpu. My question is, will these two suffice for above mentioned softwares? or i can sell the gpu and get a 1050ti?
alextan99
post Sep 14 2018, 04:21 PM

Wassup
Group: Senior Member

its good enough
vasculio82
post Sep 14 2018, 04:21 PM

I think autocad optimised for nvidia
aquilaTE
post Sep 14 2018, 04:34 PM

Casual

Shud be suffice as AutoCAD focuses on processor and memory... GPU not much...

Not sure about Revit though..

This post has been edited by aquilaTE: Sep 14 2018, 04:35 PM
wailam
post Sep 14 2018, 04:35 PM

Casual

more than enough. just get more than 8GB ram install.
seichirosano
post Sep 14 2018, 04:54 PM

Getting Started

thank you so much for fast inputs. decided to keep the mobo+proc and gpu. just going to get the cheapest ddr4 16gb and 550w psu.
^pomen_GTR^
post Sep 14 2018, 04:59 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(seichirosano @ Sep 14 2018, 04:16 PM)
Hi guys, planning to build a rig for my younger sis. she mainly uses it for autocad, revit (not sure any other software), sony vegas (light video editing) and light gaming.

i have a spare amd x370 mobo with ryzen 5 1500x (4core 8 thread) and sapphire nitro rx 580 8gb gpu. My question is, will these two suffice for above mentioned softwares? or i can sell the gpu and get a 1050ti?
sufficient...

but if u wish to upgrade the gc further... get high end gtx series gc....workstation and gaming both works efficiently...

unless is solely for workstation then go buy the dedicated workstation gc (and dont ever try gaming with them) icon_idea.gif
mbr
post Sep 14 2018, 08:25 PM

Hmm?

QUOTE(seichirosano @ Sep 14 2018, 04:16 PM)

With reference to Puget Systems and AutoCAD page

CPU:  In the case of AutoCAD, the majority of the software is only single threaded so it is only able to utilize a single core of the CPU. For this reason, our general recommendation when choosing a processor is to get the highest frequency.

GPU: Only 3D models require anything more than a basic GPU, though, so if you will only be working with 2D models then you are better off saving money on the GPU and putting that money towards a faster CPU, SSD, or more RAM.

RAM: While the exact amount of RAM you need is going to depend on the size and complexity of the model you will be working with, we generally recommend a minimum of 16GB for all our systems.
What you have would suffice for now. If not, get higher clocked CPU and at least 16GB RAM
For GPU consider getting rendering cards like Quadros with good amount of memory

This post has been edited by mbr: Sep 14 2018, 08:28 PM
seichirosano
post Sep 14 2018, 09:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(mbr @ Sep 14 2018, 08:25 PM)
What you have would suffice for now. If not, get higher clocked CPU and at least 16GB RAM
For GPU consider getting rendering cards like Quadros with good amount of memory
thank you for suggestion. i'll make do with what i have right now.

This post has been edited by seichirosano: Sep 14 2018, 09:35 PM
khiunngiap
post Sep 15 2018, 11:36 PM

Getting Started

I am about to do the same thing to my brother , ryzen 1700 and rx580 when I upgrade my pc . He is fresh architect too which I think is more than enough for his application.
^pomen_GTR^
post Sep 18 2018, 02:34 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(mbr @ Sep 14 2018, 08:25 PM)
quadro is a waste of money...because similar priced gtx card can perform similarly on productive software and plays game better....while quadro wont play game decently...
^pomen_GTR^
post Sep 18 2018, 02:35 PM

Enthusiast

another issue with quadro workstation specific card is...its no good to do 3d rendering software such as lumion and similar....

those 3d rendering software need gaming spec gc (gtx card and similar)
mbr
post Sep 18 2018, 02:52 PM

Hmm?

QUOTE(^pomen_GTR^ @ Sep 18 2018, 02:34 PM)
quadro is a waste of money...because similar priced gtx card can perform similarly on productive software and plays game better....while quadro wont play game decently...
Those cards are there and pricey for a reason. Not for playing games, but for less error and better rendering power. Choose your parts according to needs.
^pomen_GTR^
post Sep 18 2018, 04:24 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(mbr @ Sep 18 2018, 02:52 PM)
Those cards are there and pricey for a reason. Not for playing games, but for less error and better rendering power. Choose your parts according to needs.
yes i understand that...

lets say if a quadro perform 100% for cad and revit and perform only 40% at gaming...

compared to gtx perform 90% for cad and revit with 100% gaming performance...especially for home user which one will u choose?

double edged sword or single edged super sharp sword?

and in fact.. 3d architectural rendering software like lumion favour gaming gtx card over quadro....simply due to the graphic demands by these software..

https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/article...rd-do-you-need-

This post has been edited by ^pomen_GTR^: Sep 18 2018, 04:32 PM
mbr
post Sep 19 2018, 08:19 AM

Hmm?

QUOTE(^pomen_GTR^ @ Sep 18 2018, 04:24 PM)
yes i understand that...
lets say if a quadro perform 100% for cad and revit and perform only 40% at gaming...
compared to gtx perform 90% for cad and revit with 100% gaming performance...especially for home user which one will u choose?
double edged sword or single edged super sharp sword?

and in fact.. 3d architectural rendering software like lumion favour gaming gtx card over quadro....simply due to the graphic demands by these software..

https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/article...rd-do-you-need-
You could actually play games with workstation cards... Normal GTX maybe 100% gaming, 70% productivity, and Quadro maybe 100% productivity, 50% gaming. But workstation cards have optimised drivers, generally selected chips to work well, support error correction as well as double precision calculation. Things that are pretty good to have for serious production work. Dont need to buy the latest and greatest, can even get used parts.

Seriously, though.... The recent advances in gaming graphic cards makes them excellent choices for productivity work, due to performance/dollar ratio.

Of course, they should match the parts with their needs (eg software req) and budget. TS focus more on productivity and only light gaming, so either way will be adequate. RX580 works reasonably well, so let them continue with the setup as is and consider upgrade if doing more professional work.

This post has been edited by mbr: Sep 19 2018, 08:28 AM
quarantined
post Sep 19 2018, 05:04 PM

Create Not Imitate

Revit is very CPU hungry if your projects are getting large in scale..it benefits more from faster clock speed than huge core counts.

But for basic users those specs are good enough. Any extra $$$ should be spent on CPU/RAM/SSD, GPU not that important, yet.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0657sec    1.88    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 06:07 AM