Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

BMW 420i Sports Coupe - any feedback?

views

alen_wong38
post Sep 18 2018, 06:49 PM

5 posts

Hi TS, I joined the BMW Driving Experience last month and BMW 420i Coupe was used in the event. So, to summarize my views on this car based on 2 days experience on track:
1. fantastic handling, very fun car to drive especially in a race track (Sepang) due to low center gravity.
2. power ok, but you wont feel the aggressiveness when you floor the pedal. Somehow my F20 120i is more aggressive than this 420i in terms of acceleration. You can do ECU remap of course.
3. No M sport suspension. This is a minus point
4. Idrive screen so small 6.5 screen. Another minus point.
5. No navigation.

I presume you are getting an event car (from BMW driving experience) as it has much more discounts (it was 30k discount last year)? FYI, In this year's event, there were 12 420i used. 10 in white colour, 2 in grey colour.
TSelectroboy
post Sep 18 2018, 08:03 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(alen_wong38 @ Sep 18 2018, 06:49 PM)
Hi TS, I joined the BMW Driving Experience last month and BMW 420i Coupe was used in the event. So, to summarize my views on this car based on 2 days experience on track:
1. fantastic handling, very fun car to drive especially in a race track (Sepang) due to low center gravity.
2. power ok, but you wont feel the aggressiveness when you floor the pedal. Somehow my F20 120i is more aggressive than this 420i in terms of acceleration. You can do ECU remap of course.
3. No M sport suspension. This is a minus point
4. Idrive screen so small 6.5 screen. Another minus point.
5. No navigation.

I presume you are getting an event car (from BMW driving experience) as it has much more discounts (it was 30k discount last year)? FYI,  In this year's event, there were 12 420i used. 10 in white colour, 2 in grey colour.
thank you for the feedback on driving. for real of the acceleration? would ECU remap void the 5 year warranty? yeah the 6.5 screen is kinda turn off actually. my SA firm said it's new 2018 model, mileage below 50km not 2017 or lower even the discount is about the same (just below 300k mark). does that means this car really not a favourite? confirm already resale value not so good. and worse part is i made booking without test driving blink.gif blink.gif

now i am contemplating between 420i and new X3 already cos price not much different but too many plus on practicality LOL. but i am not ready to become uncle yet. my banker may already be pissed waiting for my decision.

This post has been edited by electroboy: Sep 18 2018, 08:06 PM
alen_wong38
post Sep 20 2018, 04:11 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(electroboy @ Sep 18 2018, 08:03 PM)
thank you for the feedback on driving. for real of the acceleration? would ECU remap void the 5 year warranty? yeah the 6.5 screen is kinda turn off actually. my SA firm said it's new 2018 model, mileage below 50km not 2017 or lower even the discount is about the same (just below 300k mark). does that means this car really not a favourite? confirm already resale value not so good. and worse part is i made booking without test driving  blink.gif  blink.gif

now i am contemplating between 420i and new X3 already cos price not much different but too many plus on practicality LOL. but i am not ready to become uncle yet. my banker may already be pissed waiting for my decision.
184hp is a big number but you wont feel the "Ooomph" on a 420i Coupe when launch from standstill. But It is still a fun car to drive especially through the corners and curves because of its handling and steering feedback. Only straight line performance wise not too impressive.

ECU remap will void the warranty if you follow BMW guidelines... There are some devices like RaceChip where it is an external plug n play device which somehow ok for the service centres because it is plug & play smile.gif

6.5inch screen wise, there are many BMW owners who did upgrade to 10 inches screen comes with Android Auto (plug & play). You can do it at car accessory shops outside. You can join the BMW club in FB to know what kinds of modification you can do...

If it is within 50km mileage, then it is not the event car (good to hear that).. below 300k is a good bargain if u ask me.

Maybe next year you can join the BMW driving experience so that you can learn how to handle your 420i Coupe better..
https://www.bmw.com.my/en/topics/discover/e...experience.html

6UE5T
post Sep 20 2018, 05:25 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(alen_wong38 @ Sep 18 2018, 06:49 PM)
2. power ok, but you wont feel the aggressiveness when you floor the pedal. Somehow my F20 120i is more aggressive than this 420i in terms of acceleration. ...
The 120i is smaller and lighter, that's why.
TSelectroboy
post Sep 20 2018, 10:17 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(alen_wong38 @ Sep 20 2018, 04:11 PM)
184hp is a big number but you wont feel the "Ooomph" on a 420i Coupe when launch from standstill. But It is still a fun car to drive especially through the corners and curves because of its handling and steering feedback. Only straight line performance wise not too impressive.

ECU remap will void the warranty if you follow BMW guidelines... There are some devices like RaceChip where it is an external plug n play device which somehow ok for the service centres because it is plug & play  smile.gif

6.5inch screen wise, there are many BMW owners who did upgrade to 10 inches screen comes with Android Auto (plug & play). You can do it at car accessory shops outside. You can join the BMW club in FB to know what kinds of modification you can do...

If it is within 50km mileage, then it is not the event car (good to hear that).. below 300k is a good bargain if u ask me.

Maybe next year you can join the BMW driving experience so that you can learn how to handle your 420i Coupe better..
https://www.bmw.com.my/en/topics/discover/e...experience.html
My SA confirmed that the mileage is 15km. I dunno how that works from port klang but very good deal indeed rclxm9.gif

About the screen upgrade, would that too void the warranty? Can BMW do that as official accessories instead of 3rd party aftermarket?

i can live with 184hp. Only for 4 years of use i think. whomever i sold it to can do the ECU remapping to 260hp i read blink.gif

And thank you for the encouragement, i've made up my mind of getting the 420i. I can start finding bmw groups to join now already. If my schedule is ok i'll see you in next BMW driving experience smile.gif

This post has been edited by electroboy: Sep 20 2018, 10:19 PM
nonexno
post Sep 20 2018, 10:38 PM

On my way
563 posts

QUOTE(electroboy @ Sep 12 2018, 03:10 PM)
thank you. yup, engine wise with the price + interior, not inspiring. but the coupe design on the outside is smile.gif
that is indeed a very wise advise sir. i would advise the same for most people too. it's just that i have several houses already in my portfolio and enough cash for YOLO so i am trying to reward myself without unnecessary splurging, that's why 420i and not 430i smile.gif
performance wise, yes.  i know i can get better value for money if performance if what i am going for (ie 3 series M would be obvious choice). but that's not my motivation, i just want to use coupe, RWD and never own a BMW before. so it's more a like trying for 4-5 years before eventually letting it go. reliability is important for me, i would have waited for new peugeot 508 coupe-like with higher performance but peugeot have a bad after sales service so i'd pass.
feedback on reliability, after sales maintenance etc would be great if anyone have one smile.gif
No problem if you take care of it. Problem with most malaysian is they don't jaga kereta. Inside car also like tong Sampah

BMW handling is always superior for day to day driving.

This post has been edited by nonexno: Sep 20 2018, 10:40 PM
hZa23
post Oct 13 2018, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(electroboy @ Sep 12 2018, 03:16 PM)
also, i am in doubt of color choice so if anyone can give opinion about it would be good to. White or signature blue for 420i?
Seen it personally once before..love the blue
TSelectroboy
post Nov 20 2018, 09:47 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

thanks all for your thoughts and comments. i just picked her up because i was so busy traveling outside country for the past 2 months. snapper rocks blue definitely best decision i made. but i found out that it's a color that you either love it or hate it.

comparing with my experience with mazda 6, i feels like i like skyactiv transmission more than BMW. but indeed it is a fun car to drive. here's some snapshots of my baby. sexy huh

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by electroboy: Nov 20 2018, 09:48 PM
BoomerangCircles
post Nov 20 2018, 10:03 PM

Getting Started
206 posts

QUOTE(electroboy @ Nov 20 2018, 09:47 PM)
thanks all for your thoughts and comments. i just picked her up because i was so busy traveling outside country for the past 2 months. snapper rocks blue definitely best decision i made. but i found out that it's a color that you either love it or hate it.

comparing with my experience with mazda 6, i feels like i like skyactiv transmission more than BMW. but indeed it is a fun car to drive. here's some snapshots of my baby. sexy huh

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
nnice car
Human Nature
post Nov 21 2018, 02:02 AM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,133 posts

Congrats! what a sexy car
outsiders_86
post Nov 21 2018, 03:17 PM

Getting Started
180 posts

very nice car
BigMan123
post Nov 21 2018, 06:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

Congrats...rare color and probably the 1st facelifted 4 series I have since so far
soulfulsinger7 P
post Nov 14 2019, 08:00 AM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(BoomerangCircles @ Nov 20 2018, 10:03 PM)
nnice car
Stunning! I’m planning to get the 420i coupe. Can’t wait for the civic facelift anymore and decided to go over my stipulated range fr a car haha.
What are your thoughts bro? Do you still have the car? Maintenance wise?
soulfulsinger7 P
post Nov 14 2019, 10:23 AM

Probation
8 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Stunning! I’m planning to get the 420i coupe. Can’t wait for the civic facelift anymore and decided to go over my stipulated range fr a car haha.
What are your thoughts bro? Do you still have the car? Maintenance wise?
post Nov 14 2019, 11:16 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Nice car man. Congrats,
soulfulsinger7 P
post Nov 17 2019, 05:56 PM

Probation
8 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
SUSFenix98
post Nov 17 2019, 07:28 PM

Happy Meal upsized Sir?
377 posts

Nice ride. Congratz u made the right choice...

popiah88
post Aug 19 2020, 03:25 PM

13 posts

Is there any malaysia bmw club for the 4 series? Cant find it in facebook. Would like to get my hands on a 428 or 430, but would like to know more on the reliability/common problems the owners have.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:53 PM