Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Old vinyl records are selling at very high price, A new lucrative business ?

views

TStanhks
post Sep 2 2018, 02:26 PM, updated 6y ago

On my way
608 posts

Recently I visited a local shopping mall and find that there are music stores selling old vinyl record at very high price.
Example famous Hong Kong singer (王菲) old vinyl records (during 1990) are selling at RM300+,
鄧麗君, 葉璦菱 old vinyl records are selling at RM200+...(and there are many more famous singer during the year 1970 to 1990)
Elvis Presley Christmas Album Australia 1957 is selling at RM700+

Just wondering, anyone thinking of getting a vinyl records production machine and reproduce/duplicate those old collections,
Imagine selling those old vinyl records at RM200 per record is a very lucrative business.

This post has been edited by tanhks: Sep 2 2018, 02:27 PM
chaos32
post Sep 2 2018, 03:04 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Sep 2 2018, 02:26 PM)
Recently I visited a local shopping mall and find that there are music stores selling old vinyl record at very high price.
Example famous Hong Kong singer (王菲) old vinyl records (during 1990) are selling at RM300+,
鄧麗君, 葉璦菱 old vinyl records are selling at RM200+...(and there are many more famous singer during the year 1970 to 1990)

Just wondering, anyone thinking of getting a vinyl records production machine and reproduce/duplicate those old collections,
Imagine selling those old vinyl records at RM200 per record is a very lucrative business.
The resurgence of vinyl has been ongoing for quite a few yrs now. The demand is there and the supply of vinyl for certain genres are limited hence the high prices. There is also a element of price hoarding and artificial inflation of prices by some sellers. Reproduction ie. repressing does not significantly bring down prices since collectors prefer the original pressings where available imo.
penmarker
post Sep 2 2018, 05:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,002 posts

You can reissue records but collectors will still be looking for the original pressings. And if there's demand there will be people shilling the price up.
E1 - AKG
post Sep 2 2018, 11:19 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Sep 2 2018, 02:26 PM)

the value is with the original press and not re-press.
sovtek
post Sep 6 2018, 02:06 AM

45 posts

I'm surprised myself how much someone would pay for some of these pressings ohmy.gif

Attached Image
chaos32
post Sep 6 2018, 03:48 AM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(sovtek @ Sep 6 2018, 02:06 AM)
I'm surprised myself how much someone would pay for some of these pressings ohmy.gif

Attached Image
Teresa Teng LP fever is very real among some collectors. Even the reissues are going for a fair amount. Probably one of the most sought after Chinese artist at the moment. Even more so with the Mainland Chinese market fueling huge demand for her LPs. The other Chinese artist that is super popular is Tsai Qin. laugh.gif
bsl555
post Sep 10 2018, 01:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(chaos32 @ Sep 6 2018, 03:48 AM)
Teresa Teng LP fever is very real among some collectors. Even the reissues are going for a fair amount. Probably one of the most sought after Chinese artist at the moment. Even more so with the Mainland Chinese market fueling huge demand for her LPs. The other Chinese artist that is super popular is Tsai Qin.  laugh.gif
That live album I have on 3 different Japan CD (shortened), 2CD (full concert) and lastly a compilation or early Japan CD of the same concert. Also the full concert on DVD (bought from Japan). Personally didn't see the need for paying ridiculous sum for the LP, despite it being seemingly sought after and collectible. The performance matter, not always about format. smile.gif Anyway, I'm not denying anyone who insist on owning such pricy collectible. Many like to.. tongue.gif
I was at Shenzhen & Guangzhou in 2014, visited some hifi and music place there, saw many shops pin up Teresa albums on the wall as exhibits, I believe they sapu whatever available from HK at that time. Best part was, most of those were not for sale, only for the shop wall.
Recently at KLIAV 2018 there's one record store that was selling records at prices I couldn't believe my eyes. Kitaro Kojiki EU pressing.. RM850 each. I suppose there's always big fish swimming around that will swallow it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Sep 10 2018, 01:59 PM
cucubud
post Sep 10 2018, 02:11 PM

Super Moderator
3,067 posts

I have some LPs bought from the local shops in the 1980s.
Got English and Mandarin LPs.
How much do they worth?
bsl555
post Sep 10 2018, 02:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(cucubud @ Sep 10 2018, 02:11 PM)
I have some LPs bought from the local shops in the 1980s.
Got English and Mandarin LPs.
How much do they worth?

There's never any accurate answer for this without looking at what you got.
Go find someone who have experience and offer you an honest evaluation of what is worth, depending on condition, album title, artist, origin and age of pressing..these are factors can determine its actual worth.
If you find a reseller to evaluate, then you may or not get an honest evaluation.
rx330
post Dec 24 2018, 03:02 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,585 posts

nobody here into bianca wu? boy her lps are expensive
5 to 800 usd

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:09 PM