Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Sony 16-70Z Vs 18-135 OSS kit lens., Included sigma 16mm F1.4

views

TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 08:18 AM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 08:11 AM)
Didn't heard about sony or zeiss lens has an issue of focusing issue before.. Where got buy lens without test on the spot before pay. Unless you are bought from online store.
Actually all the online store has refer you to officially service center for warranty.
Believe me once you having the zeiss lens you won't back to kit lens anymore, nobody wanna use with power zoom for all time. Again very difficult to capture on the zooming distance.
The overall feel like a digital cam.
Zeiss lens was sharper and better colours.
Unless you really mean that price , not worth for every single cent. Then stick with the kit lens , is the better choices.
Anyone reading my post right? I said "lens alignment". This one harder to detect if u don't pay attention during testing. Shoot a flat surface like brick wall. If you spot a soft corner, usually mean one the lens axis is a little off. You may have no issue with little blur but for that price range u think u want to accept? And no. Just cause there is zeiss badge on it, does not mean its better.

If you like manual zoom fine go ahead. I'm not harping on your choice. Just don't give wrong impression that zeiss gives big boost in iq when in reality not that far from kit.

This post has been edited by TrialGone: Sep 6 2018, 08:21 AM
TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 08:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 6 2018, 08:18 AM)
Anyone reading my post right? I said "lens alignment". This one harder to detect if u don't pay attention during testing. Shoot a flat surface like brick wall. If you spot a soft corner, usually mean one the lens axis is a little off. You may have no issue with little blur but for that price range u think u want to accept? And no. Just cause there is zeiss badge on it, does not mean its better.

If you like manual zoom fine go ahead. I'm not harping on your choice. Just don't give wrong impression that zeiss gives big boost in iq when in reality not that far from kit.
Do not blamed on the Zeiss lens.
Your argument was bad IQ on the zeiss lens.. How you would you wanna proof they are bad or extremely bad?
To all the photos output were the identical , once you posted on IG or FB , whose know?
I didn't say Kit lens no good.. This is comes to your point of view.

If you are having both and do compared side by side, then i can accepted the statement.

Even i having the sony 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 OSS, i didn't said that is bad on IQ, just the distance too far from 18 to 135mm it is not great for low lighting and varies apertures.. If you can why stick on f5.6 in low light for indoor shoots.
You know how many ISO you gonna to pump in. At least ISO 6.4k minimum.. Everything in the condition.

This post has been edited by Benefon: Sep 6 2018, 08:47 AM
TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 12:04 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 08:34 AM)
Your argument was bad IQ on the zeiss lens.. How you would you wanna proof they are bad or extremely bad?
To all the photos output were the identical , once you posted on IG or FB , whose know?

If you are having both and do compared side by side, then i can accepted the statement.

Even i having the sony 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 OSS, i didn't said that is bad on IQ, just the distance too far from 18 to 135mm it is not great for low lighting and varies apertures.. If you can why stick on f5.6 in low light for indoor shoots.
You know how many ISO you gonna to pump in. At least ISO 6.4k minimum.. Everything in the condition.
All your points are off. Read my post carefully. Just pointing out on zeiss1670.
TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 12:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 6 2018, 12:04 PM)
All your points are off. Read my post carefully. Just pointing out on zeiss1670.
QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 4 2018, 05:50 PM)
Actually there has been wide consensus that for that zeiss price the quality does not differ much from Sony kit 1650mm lens. In fact, at certain focal length the Sony 1650mm wins over the zeiss 1670mm in sharpness. It could also due to quality control of the 1670 cause I heard that it varies a lot.
QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 5 2018, 08:10 AM)
Nothing against your point. I mean in terms of price trade off. For a lens that is many times more expensive, you would have hope for better iq and qc.
Check what you said before. 😉

QC could be some of lemon set right.
If any issue we can bring back for warranty.. Still acceptable.
Image quality will be the overall what we needs.

This post has been edited by Benefon: Sep 6 2018, 12:34 PM
TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 12:35 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 12:31 PM)
Sigh...... I said quality control...... Like which part of it meant bad image quality specifically, though technically it does cause bad image if lens alignment is off, IF it is off when u get your hands on it. I'm critisizing the manufacturing quality part not the lens design.... Can't believe I'm explaining something so common sense.

Secondly I said the zeiss 1670 has almost same iq or worse at certain focal length as the kit lens for its price.......... Did I said iq on kit is bad? I'm really not sure if u even interpret correctly. How does saying something is better means the other is bad? Hey zeiss otus/batis is much better than zeiss 1670, that means zeiss 1670 is very bad? Like wtf?

This post has been edited by TrialGone: Sep 6 2018, 12:38 PM
maxxsp
post Sep 6 2018, 12:39 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 08:34 AM)

Zony lenses are notorious for having QC issues which is what TrialGone is trying to point out.

BTW Zeiss and Sony Zeiss 'Zony' are not the same. Just because you're paying for blue badge tax does not make it a better lens. For example the 24-70Z is well known for issues with poor copies.

Agree that manual zoom lenses feel nicer but if you shoot video the PZ is more versatile.
I think a better comparison would be the 16-70Z vs 18-105G PZ as both are fixed aperture lenses.

TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 12:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(maxxsp @ Sep 6 2018, 12:39 PM)
Zony lenses are notorious for having QC issues which is what TrialGone is trying to point out.

BTW Zeiss and Sony Zeiss 'Zony' are not the same. Just because you're paying for blue badge tax does not make it a better lens. For example the 24-70Z is well known for issues with poor copies.

Agree that manual zoom lenses feel nicer but if you shoot video the PZ is more versatile.
I think a better comparison would be the 16-70Z vs 18-105G PZ as both are fixed aperture lenses.
Actually i do believe not all the lens has an issue right.. Same as Sigma lens whoever didn't test before , confirm can seen the focus point not accurately.

For me Zeiss or Sony or Any lenses still have some of the QC issue.. Not to apply for all , but still make sure you test before pay at the counter 😁😁
maxxsp
post Sep 6 2018, 12:46 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 12:31 PM)

QC could be some of lemon set right.
If any issue we can bring back for warranty.. Still acceptable.
Image quality will be the overall what we needs.
Many Sony/Zony lenses suffer from decentering issues. As far as I know if you're buying in Malaysia and you unseal the box you cannot get a refund or exchange unlike other countries where they have great refund/exchange policies. So if you get a poor copy you are pretty much stuck with it.

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 12:44 PM)
Actually i do believe not all the lens has an issue right.. Same as Sigma lens whoever didn't test before , confirm can seen the focus point not accurately.

For me Zeiss or Sony or Any lenses still have some of the QC issue.. Not to apply for all , but still make sure you test before pay at the counter 😁😁
Yeah which is why TrialGone highlighted QUALITY CONTROL issues not IQ. As quality differs between copies.

You aren't gonna see sharpness/decentering issues by checking at the counter. Only when you're back home and pixel peeping on Lightroom or the equivalent. By that time it's too late.

This post has been edited by maxxsp: Sep 6 2018, 12:49 PM
TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 12:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(maxxsp @ Sep 6 2018, 12:46 PM)
Many Sony/Zony lenses suffer from decentering issues. As far as I know if you're buying in Malaysia and you unseal the box you cannot get a refund or exchange unlike other countries where they have great refund/exchange policies. So if you get a poor copy you are pretty much stuck with it.
But so far in Singapore has not an issue, usually will test on the spot.. Even after warranty the lens still in working condition.
That is why i will buy again for Zeiss lens.. Sound quite bad for Malaysia copy.. Sorry that is my bad. 😥

This post has been edited by Benefon: Sep 6 2018, 12:51 PM
maxxsp
post Sep 6 2018, 12:51 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 12:49 PM)
But so far in Singapore has not an issue, usually will test on the spot.. Even after warranty the lens still in working condition.
That is why i will buy again for Zeiss lens again.. Sound quite back for Malaysia copy.. Sorry that is my bad. 😥
Lucky you if you get to purchase and test in another country.
Here we play the 'lens lottery' rclxms.gif

TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 12:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(maxxsp @ Sep 6 2018, 12:51 PM)
Lucky you if you get to purchase and test in another country.
Here we play the 'lens lottery'  rclxms.gif
To be honest i don't really trust the AF, if such as the policy were , you peel off the sealed sticky must be pay before. I will go to another shop.
maxxsp
post Sep 6 2018, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 12:54 PM)
To be honest i don't really trust the AF, if such as the policy were , you peel off the sealed sticky must be pay before. I will go to another shop.
AF, OSS and most other issues will be covered under warranty. Copy variation will not.

TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 01:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(maxxsp @ Sep 6 2018, 12:56 PM)
AF, OSS and most other issues will be covered under warranty. Copy variation will not.
Yup make sure you enter the right shop.
Wish you good luck for future purchase new lens again.

Below is showing has some extra copy , when test it out before made payment. 😂
user posted image
TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 01:07 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 01:00 PM)
Yup make sure you enter the right shop.
Wish you good luck for future purchase new lens again.

Below is showing has some extra copy , when test it out before made payment. 😂
user posted image
Did u test it out on a flat surface like brick wall and spot the corners. Remember to check every focal length as well. If no iffy blurring, congrats u got the good copy.
TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 01:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 6 2018, 01:07 PM)
Did u test it out on a flat surface like brick wall and spot the corners. Remember to check every focal length as well. If no iffy blurring, congrats u got the good copy.
Actually more difficult to test like , capture the lens cap name label, try to shoot on 45degee, if you could not get the accurate in that single AF point, the lens really has an AF issue.
For common like brick or focus length may lesser issue than you test it on close up. But i still hope it would be too uncommon for QC issue. Cause on each lense we bought the cost can easily more than few thousand.

Wish you good luck also... 😁

Make sure the wording not out of focus.
user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by Benefon: Sep 6 2018, 01:31 PM
TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 01:56 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 01:23 PM)
Actually more difficult to test like , capture the lens cap name label, try to shoot on 45degee, if you could not get the accurate in that single AF point, the lens really has an AF issue.
For common like brick or focus length may lesser issue than you test it on close up. But i still hope it would be too uncommon for QC issue. Cause on each lense we bought the cost can easily more than few thousand.

Wish you good luck also... 😁

Make sure the wording not out of focus.
user posted image

user posted image
Look. The zeiss 1670 qc problem is on the lens decenterring issue. Not talking about AF. I'm sure your AF is working absolutely fine. Your manual ring is fine. Your lens coating is fine. Your cat is fine. Just focus on the decenterring thing by doing the brick wall test.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with investing money on the zeiss. But just do the test to get it off your chest that you have bought the good cop....... Hey hey *snap *snap...... don't look at sigma, we not talking about sigma qc iq abc.... focus on your zeiss 1670 and check if u have bought a good copy. If u lucky u don't have to return it.
TSBenefon
post Sep 6 2018, 02:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,727 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ Sep 6 2018, 01:56 PM)
Look. The zeiss 1670 qc problem is on the lens decenterring issue. Not talking about AF. I'm sure your AF is working absolutely fine. Your manual ring is fine. Your lens coating is fine. Your cat is fine. Just focus on the decenterring thing by doing the brick wall test.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with investing money on the zeiss. But just do the test to get it off your chest that you have bought the good cop....... Hey hey *snap *snap...... don't look at sigma, we not talking about sigma qc iq abc.... focus on your zeiss 1670 and check if u have bought a good copy.  If u lucky u don't have to return it.
Thanks anyway for your highlighted.
If have any back focus or QC issue , i will bring to the service centre 😂😂... Wish me good luck too .
TrialGone
post Sep 6 2018, 02:32 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Benefon @ Sep 6 2018, 02:01 PM)
Thanks anyway for your highlighted.
If have any back focus or QC issue , i will bring to the service centre 😂😂... Wish me good luck too .
.......... You do know what we mean by lens de-centering right? As in axis of the lens is out of alignment? Nothing to do with focusing. This problem is much more difficult to detect unless u look at a monitor. Will affect iq if you want everything sharp focus at infinity. You don't have to worry if u only plan to shoot bokeh shots.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:45 PM