Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Stiffen front fork., Msx125

views

TSNub!
post Aug 22 2018, 10:11 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
478 posts

Hello guys,

I am riding msx125 with USD fork. I heard changing to a thicker oil can stiffen up your fork. Anyone has experience with this and which shop you guys can recommend me around long valley?

Thanks.

ZZR-Pilot
post Aug 23 2018, 08:38 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

Changing the spring stiffens up the fork, just like dialling up the preload.

Failing that, changing to a thicker fork oil increases the compression & rebound damping.
TSNub!
post Aug 23 2018, 01:34 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(ZZR-Pilot @ Aug 23 2018, 08:38 AM)
Changing the spring stiffens up the fork, just like dialling up the preload.

Failing that, changing to a thicker fork oil increases the compression & rebound damping.
Does spring cost a lot? Any shop you recommend I can go an enquire ?

Sorry I don't have too much knowledge on these. Is my first bike.

Reason I wanna stiffen up my front fork because I feel it is too wobbly during breaking and cornering sometimes. Makes me lose confidence

This post has been edited by Nub!: Aug 23 2018, 01:35 PM
ZZR-Pilot
post Sep 5 2018, 09:21 PM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(Nub! @ Aug 23 2018, 02:34 PM)
Does spring cost a lot? Any shop you recommend I can go an enquire ?

Sorry I don't have too much knowledge on these. Is my first bike.

Reason I wanna stiffen up my front fork because I feel it is too wobbly during breaking and cornering sometimes. Makes me lose confidence
Not sure abt the cost, but it depends whether or not got springs available for ur model of fork.

The next option is swapping out to a thicker fork oil.

Will it address ur problem? It depends on what exactly that wobble is actually about - out of round rims or badly balanced tyres cause wobbles too. Usually undersprung forks will feel soft & bounce more, plus it will dive significantly under braking.
TSNub!
post Sep 6 2018, 12:40 AM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(ZZR-Pilot @ Sep 5 2018, 09:21 PM)
Not sure abt the cost, but it depends whether or not got springs available for ur model of fork.

The next option is swapping out to a thicker fork oil.

Will it address ur problem? It depends on what exactly that wobble is actually about - out of round rims or badly balanced tyres cause wobbles too. Usually undersprung forks will feel soft & bounce more, plus it will dive significantly under braking.
I actually want to try to swap for a thicker for oil. Just want to know if there's any good trusted shop to recommend here.
TheOnly
post Sep 10 2018, 09:30 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

Yeah... i must be the only 1 thinking... “dude just slow the fk down yo...” as the best solution.
TSNub!
post Sep 10 2018, 09:50 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(TheOnly @ Sep 10 2018, 09:30 PM)
Yeah... i must be the only 1 thinking... “dude just slow the fk down yo...”  as the best solution.
My bike is slow in the first place sir. Also thanks for the input of your best solution.
Might as well say just sell the bike stay at home would be better solution than yours.

My priority is for safety purpose of the sudden brake in situations.

watashigundamu
post Sep 14 2018, 12:54 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(Nub! @ Aug 22 2018, 10:11 PM)
Hello guys,

I am riding msx125 with USD fork. I heard changing to a thicker oil can stiffen up your fork. Anyone has experience with this and which shop you guys can recommend me around long valley?

Thanks.
hi there , im looking for such shop as well. do let me know if you happen to encounter any good shop that can fix a front fork properly around kl area

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.08    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:03 AM