Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Case Air Flow - CM Maker 5

views

TSStuartLee2015
post Aug 20 2018, 12:10 AM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,197 posts

I own CM Maker 5 currently... and it get very dusty inside despite the regular ( 1 week 1 time ) cleaning of every filters it have.

The case fans is as follows:

3x 140 CM Masterfan Pro Air Pressure ( Front )
1x 140 CM Masterfan Pro Air Flow ( Rear)

2x Corsair SP120 Fans on H100iv2 Radiator ( Top )

I used mosquito coil to see the direction of air flow and where it sucks air into the case, which i find :

1 - closed the front door/cover , the air will be suck through the back air vents ( beside the PCI slots )
2 - Open the front door/cover, the air will be blow out through the back air vents ( beside the PCI slots )

Should i block the back air vents using some sort of mesh or Felt ?

or what do you suggest?

- I would like the door/cover though. it's part of the case.

Thanks all ....
howszat
post Aug 20 2018, 12:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

If it gets very dusty, you have a setup/design problem.

You have 3 front intake fans, and a front door that blocks the intake?

This post has been edited by howszat: Aug 20 2018, 12:19 AM
TSStuartLee2015
post Aug 20 2018, 12:23 AM

Regular
1,197 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Aug 20 2018, 12:18 AM)
If it gets very dusty, you have a setup/design problem.

You have 3 front intake fans, and a front door that blocks the intake?
The dust can be seen all over the place, it settles down on the GPU backplate, the false floor, the HDD bracket , etc.

The Maker 5 does have a front door that ' muffles ' the Fan noise which it does since the Air Pressure sounds loud even with the Silent profile.

The 3x Front Intake fans and 1x Exhaust is correct already right?

and the Top fans is exhaust fans too, it is push through the radiator and exit through the top...

This post has been edited by StuartLee2015: Aug 20 2018, 12:24 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
howszat
post Aug 20 2018, 12:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

QUOTE(StuartLee2015 @ Aug 20 2018, 12:23 AM)
The 3x Front Intake fans and 1x Exhaust is correct already right?

That's the general idea, yes - more pressure intake, and less pressure exhaust.

Intake is filtered, and will push air out through not just the exhaust, but any other leakages if any. So the air flowing through the casing is only filtered air.

PS: re-read your post - your top exhaust, and your blocked intake is going to not going to help, and that's probably why you are getting dust.

This post has been edited by howszat: Aug 20 2018, 12:39 AM
TSStuartLee2015
post Aug 20 2018, 12:42 AM

Regular
1,197 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Aug 20 2018, 12:35 AM)
That's the general idea, yes - more pressure intake, and less pressure exhaust.

Intake is filtered, and will push air out through not just the exhaust, but any other leakages if any. So the air flowing through the casing is only filtered air.

PS: re-read your post - your top exhaust, and your blocked intake is going to not going to help, and that's probably why you are getting dust.
so cases with front door is not good then?

or should i change the top to intake?
howszat
post Aug 20 2018, 08:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

QUOTE(StuartLee2015 @ Aug 20 2018, 12:42 AM)
so cases with front door is not good then?

or should i change the top to intake?

You mean front panel not good? Yes, not good because it's only blocking air flow.

It's there to look good. It doesn't help the dust or airflow problem.

My own basic casing has been hacked to include two 12cm fan intakes with filters that I can easily clip on/off to wash. No front "doors" but you can see the dust on the filter as it builds up.

I have to clean the filters regularly, but I no longer have a dust problem inside the casing like I used to.
TSStuartLee2015
post Aug 20 2018, 09:09 PM

Regular
1,197 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Aug 20 2018, 08:53 PM)
You mean front panel not good? Yes, not good because it's only blocking air flow.

It's there to look good. It doesn't help the dust or airflow problem.

My own basic casing has been hacked to include two 12cm fan intakes with filters that I can easily clip on/off to wash. No front "doors" but you can see the dust on the filter as it builds up.

I have to clean the filters regularly, but I no longer have a dust problem inside the casing like I used to.
I see, I guess the next case i should be getting is without front door....

I first noticed the dust build up inside the cases despite the front filters cleaned regularly.. and by using smoke from mosquito coil and open and closing the door explained it all.

I have now taken off the door and wait a week to see how's the dust build up inside the case..

* should have gotten the Pro5 version.
SUSjdgobio
post Sep 6 2018, 07:07 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

Try inverting your radiator exhaust fans to intake instead of exhaust.
Currently you are having negative air pressure, you will need to change it to positive to keep dust out. But this may increase the temps inside your case due to hot air from radiator being blown inside the case.

Another option is to change your rear fan to intake and keep your radiator fans as it is. Depending on how constricted your front fans are, this may help to create positive pressure within the case.
TSStuartLee2015
post Sep 6 2018, 11:15 PM

Regular
1,197 posts

QUOTE(jdgobio @ Sep 6 2018, 07:07 PM)
Try inverting your radiator exhaust fans to intake instead of exhaust.
Currently you are having negative air pressure, you will need to change it to positive to keep dust out. But this may increase the temps inside your case due to hot air from radiator being blown inside the case.

Another option is to change your rear fan to intake and keep your radiator fans as it is. Depending on how constricted your front fans are, this may help to create positive pressure within the case.
I see.... Thanks smile.gif but rear fan don't have filters...

For now i remove the front door/cover , will be changing casing soon to one that less restricted air flow.
TSStuartLee2015
post Sep 6 2018, 11:27 PM

Regular
1,197 posts

Update: I found out which fan, it's the rear exhaust that suck the air through the opening around PCI-E, the the extra vents beside PCI-E. as soon as i unplug the rear fan, the tissue that stuck now drop, i can see the tissue is being blown away by the front air flow despite closing the door.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:06 PM